Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Quinn vs. Green?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Would Should The Browns Draft At #6?

A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
60%
Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina
17%
Draft Other (Specify)
11%
Trade Down
11%

Total votes : 35

Quinn vs. Green?

Unread postby Loo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:47 pm

Just wondering where everyone stands on this--Kiper Jr. believes the pick is easy and will come down to A.J. Green or Robert Quinn.

For weeks and weeks I've wanted A.J. Green--top WR prospect in the draft, glowing praises from McShay and others, will surely go top-10, fits either the first or second BPA and/or position of need.

However, now that it's clear(er) the Browns are moving to a 4-3 I feel like I'm slipping towards the need for a top-notch, can't-miss and any other phrases that require a hyphen defensive end. Every year there's usually only 1-2 of these guys in the entire draft, and they're always snatched up in the first round by 4-3 teams. IFF the Browns do in fact move to the 4-3, this is probably the right move despite CLE having the worst WR core in the NFL.

I'd love a WR to boost the offense and help McCoy, but you have to add a pass-rusher on the outside.

Thoughts?
mmm, this is, a tasty burger!
Loo

Favorite Player: Josh Willingham
Least Favorite Player: Josh Willingham

Re: Quinn vs. Green?

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:06 pm

It's just this simple for me really:

I want them to take the guy they believe is the very best NFL prospect and a guy that in their estimation simply cannot miss and can contribute right away regardless of the position. Because, at any position on the field other than RB, they need that guy.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:15 pm

peeker643 wrote:It's just this simple for me really:

I want them to take the guy they believe is the very best NFL prospect and a guy that in their estimation simply cannot miss and can contribute right away regardless of the position. Because, at any position on the field other than RB, they need that guy.

I tend to agree with you peek, however IMO this team is close enough that an approach to balanced/measured improvement should be considered instead of going w/ the let's just get him b/c he is a stud at his position theory.

IOW, helping out the offense a little and the defense a little is as good an idea as to helping out one side of the ball a lot (if ignoring the other side at the same time is the trade off).
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby noles1 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:24 pm

I'm inclined to go the way of a pass rusher in an attempt to build up this defense into the caliber it needs to be to compete in this division.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:24 pm

this, times a million

Take the Boat, not the Box.

If Green is a guy the organization is sold on, to be the next Fitzgerald/Andre Johnson, hell even Mike Wallace. Take him.

But make sure he's a player, and is not a Braylon Edwards style headcase "Diva" guy.

If not, again, take the boat.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:25 pm

FUDU wrote:

I tend to agree with you peek, however IMO this team is close enough that an approach to balanced/measured improvement should be considered instead of going w/ the let's just get him b/c he is a stud at his position theory.

IOW, helping out the offense a little and the defense a little is as good an idea as to helping out one side of the ball a lot (if ignoring the other side at the same time is the trade off).

That's all well and good. But they're gonna take somebody 6th. They need an upgrade and an infusion everywhere FUDU. They can't go wrong if they get a football player.

And I'm sure their choice will take into consideration what (if anything) they can do to upgrade spots in FA.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:37 pm

Dareus, Miller, Jones. In that order.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:55 pm

I love Von Miller. Saw him a little bit earlier in the season, but fell in love during their bowl game. Until this week, most rankings had him between 10-20, but after Senior Bowl week and the game yesterday, he's definitely Top 10 material. I didn't see the game but folks tweeting during it were raving about the guy.

It's a position of need...he's a pass rusher and a run stopper...he's got attitude, size, heart...I think he's got to be considered on the same level as either Green or Quinn. Just my two cents.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby yogi » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:07 pm

The guy I want at #6 is a guy that will improve the team as much as Joe Haden did for us last year. In the 2nd round, ditto TJ Ward and of course in the 3rd round a surprise like Colt would be nice.

I'd also like Heckert to address the WR or DL problem like he did the RB problem last year with an offseason trade or FA pick up.

I guess Id be happy with the same type of off seasom improvements as we had last year. Just bring in the talent.

Im happy to have Heckertt and Holmgren making these decisions with the same vison of what this football team can become.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:56 pm

Mike Mayock, who is a highly respected draft expert on NFLNetwork, has Quinn rated as the 5th best defensive end. Actually, he's tied for 5th. I think maybe the fact that he didn't play this year plus most of his 2009 production came against the weak teams on NC's schedule plus the brain surgery in high school may have influenced his ranking.

Green is his #1 receiver.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby bookelly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:46 am

We've got to stretch the field on Offense. If we're gonna run the WCO, you need a top flight receiver on the wing. Green gets my vote if he's the fastest guy out there. What about Blackmon? He seems pretty damn quick.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:37 am

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:58 am

Mark me down for Dareus at #6 if he's available. I love the versatility he brings where he could start at DT and play a little strong side end if needed as well.

If he's not available, mark me down for the next best DLmen.
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:38 am

Green - I just think he's the BPA, at #6 and maybe even overall.
I'm not extremely convinced of any of these DE's
Von Miller might be my #2.

had to Edit, Had Jones in lieu of Green
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby jb » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:47 pm

danwismar wrote:I love Von Miller. Saw him a little bit earlier in the season, but fell in love during their bowl game. Until this week, most rankings had him between 10-20, but after Senior Bowl week and the game yesterday, he's definitely Top 10 material. I didn't see the game but folks tweeting during it were raving about the guy.

It's a position of need...he's a pass rusher and a run stopper...he's got attitude, size, heart...I think he's got to be considered on the same level as either Green or Quinn. Just my two cents.

Dan, project him into a 4 - 3 for me. Seriously, I'm asking not inisnuating. Had we stayed 3 - 4 I think he would have been the guy to put us over the top. Now?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:31 pm

jb wrote:Dan, project him into a 4 - 3 for me. Seriously, I'm asking not inisnuating. Had we stayed 3 - 4 I think he would have been the guy to put us over the top. Now?

It would take a magic lantern and three wishes to put us over the top.

I'd settle for an OLB who can rush the passer.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby jb » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:52 pm

danwismar wrote:
jb wrote:Dan, project him into a 4 - 3 for me. Seriously, I'm asking not inisnuating. Had we stayed 3 - 4 I think he would have been the guy to put us over the top. Now?

It would take a magic lantern and three wishes to put us over the top.

I'd settle for an OLB who can rush the passer.

LOL.

What I meant was that in the 3 - 4 we had a good amount of role players that kept us competitive. What we utterly lacked was a front 7 playmaker who would be the straw that stirred the drink. Not sayin' Miller alone would have made what was there the 86 Giants, but I think him plus some young DL depth in a statiic developmental program and a day two CB would have us in top 15 D range.

Crawl, stumble, walk run and all that sort.

But in a Jaraun 4 - 3, which is often pretty base, is Miller that head and shoulders to be BPA in your mind? How much would he get to rush the passer? I haven't seen enough Miller to sya or not, but I know Heckert went pretty hard need centric last draft. One draft doesn't a pattern make, but one it was. can't see equal BPA ratings of Green or Quinn and Miller ending up with the 4 - 3 linebacker.
jb

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:47 pm

I take your point...it's obviously arguable that a DL might be a more prudent choice. I'd be fine with a WR too. You're right that Heckert's recent track record (Maclin, D. Jackson) in the 1st round is speed-centric.

My man crush on Miller remains.

danwismar

Unread postby jb » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:57 pm

danwismar wrote:I take your point...it's obviously arguable that a DL might be a more prudent choice. I'd be fine with a WR too. You're right that Heckert's recent track record (Maclin, D. Jackson) in the 1st round is speed-centric.

In yr opinion is he worth BPA and going a little higher than more traditional need picks? Admit to blowing off every chanbce to see A&M and having an aggie-free fall...
jb

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:54 am

Not to hijack, but if if if we think H&H will continue need picks (and rightfully so, IMO) and given the following

We will implement the WCO
We will run a 4-3

on which side of the ball do you draft first? Not talking about players, necessarily, but where do we need the most help?

I am firmly on the D side - I think the transition to 4-3 will require a bigger roster change over than the move to the WCO
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby hiko » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:04 am

Myself - there are a handful of players that any one of would make a good draft pick. Even if we were staying in a 3-4 and sticking with whatever-the-hell-type-of-offense that Daboll tried to run, we'd still have tons of holes. We'd still need a DE and a couple LB's - they'd just have slightly different traits.

I agree that it is probably more important to get a Defensive player at #6, but I really wouldn't be unhappy with Green either - we need some playmaking on Offense REAL damn bad.

And for some reason getting a WR in the 2nd round has a bad ring to it... can't imagine why that'd be.

Let's hope they can close at least one hole in Free Agency (if it happens).
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:10 am

jb wrote:
danwismar wrote:I take your point...it's obviously arguable that a DL might be a more prudent choice. I'd be fine with a WR too. You're right that Heckert's recent track record (Maclin, D. Jackson) in the 1st round is speed-centric.

In yr opinion is he worth BPA and going a little higher than more traditional need picks? Admit to blowing off every chanbce to see A&M and having an aggie-free fall...

Dan -

I know nothing of this Von Miller fella other than his name is awesome (I have faith he will be a great NFL player based on his name alone).

But, it sounds to me like he will likely make a great LB in a 3-4. Would a guy like him be able to be a great player in a 4-3? Or does that scheme make his ceiling merely "good"?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:06 am

motherscratcher wrote:
jb wrote:

Dan -

I know nothing of this Von Miller fella other than his name is awesome (I have faith he will be a great NFL player based on his name alone).

But, it sounds to me like he will likely make a great LB in a 3-4. Would a guy like him be able to be a great player in a 4-3? Or does that scheme make his ceiling merely "good"?

The knock on him entering this season (and he obliterated many concerns) was that he was light and could be handled on the interior and against bigger TEs in coverage. I don't know if he's completely beyond that as I'm not one to follow such details.

JTA1975 could speak to that better than I can and better than many here can.

Again though, although I'd kill for a sideline to sideline guy I'll be consistent in terms of how I view Cam and anyone else at that pick: if there is a question that starts with, "I'm not sure he can...." then you probably need to look for a guy with fewer of those issues in your scheme.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:15 am

mattvan1 wrote:Not to hijack, but if if if we think H&H will continue need picks (and rightfully so, IMO) and given the following

We will implement the WCO
We will run a 4-3

on which side of the ball do you draft first? Not talking about players, necessarily, but where do we need the most help?

I am firmly on the D side - I think the transition to 4-3 will require a bigger roster change over than the move to the WCO

Are you asking me? Not be hijack Matt, but who cares?

I put more stock in trying to decide what Coach "there's a defense?" Shurmur will do. ;-)

The 4 - 3 changeover will require more turnover in my opinion. I don't at all believe that scheme and technique change is no big deal, and on X's and O's LeChuck reinforced that. His words, "it's a BIG deal".

Great defenses play, they don't think. When you are learning new technique and probably playing with new guys for new coaches, you are thinking, not playing.

The interior DL can transition, but other than Rubin they will probably be mediocre (I think Rogers is gone) at best. Maybe Roth stays and can play mediocre LDE. We have no RDE unless you think Gocong can fill in some. At best, he's JAG, probably well below average and can't play 3 downs. Wasn't an effective pass rusher in Philly. Fujita can play SS OLB well. Unless you count Barton and believe jackson has cred with this org and can stay healthy, or Gocong can cover enough ground to play solo, we have no MLB. We have no traditional WS OLB. We still need at least 2 quality cornerbacks, one to replace Brown soon, another as a nickle.

That's a ton of needs.

On offense, I think faith in McCoy remains a question mark to be played out. Holmgren seems sold short term, and he's HMFIC, so I expect a year out of him on a trial basis. We need a RT and new WR's. That's doable from a FA perspective and one draft pick.

So while I see this as an offensive minded organization, to me, there is no question that now the D cries out for the lion's share of the resources. One thing is certain; this April will show alot about how this organization will run. In the end, I'd expect a traditional bi-section of BPA meeting need. ...with "BPA" in the eyes of the Browns, not necesarrily the draftniks.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:54 pm

One thing to focus on/consider given Philly is clearly the org this Browns org is following is that other than 2001 when the Eagles too Fred Ex to pair with McNabb (which may have forever turned them off of WRs) the Eagles built their team from the interior to the exterior for the most part and focused most often on defense in Round 1:

'99 McNabb QB
'00 Corey Simon DT
'01 Mitchell WR
'02 Lito Sheppard CB
'03 Jerome McDougal DE
'04 Shane Andrews T
'05 Mike Patterson DT
'06 Brodrick Bunkley DT
'07 No Pick
'08 No pick
'09 Maclin WR
'10 Brandon Graham DE

Just saying Heckert, despite the WCO roots that Andy Reid had as well, has seen a lot of focus on the dl/ol and defense in general in the past.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby fairvis » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:35 pm

I fully expect a DL pick if Heckert's guy is there. If Heckert's guy isn't there, then Green will be there, and I'd fully support that pick as well. This draft is uber-deep in DL, so if Dareus, Bowers, and Fairley are gone, I can see Heyward or Watt available in the second. There's around 8-10 first-round grade DEs out there this year, and 4-5 first-round grade DTs. Someone will certainly be there in the second if Heckert's guy isn't available at #6.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:17 pm

peeker643 wrote:One thing to focus on/consider given Philly is clearly the org this Browns org is following is that other than 2001 when the Eagles too Fred Ex to pair with McNabb (which may have forever turned them off of WRs) the Eagles built their team from the interior to the exterior for the most part and focused most often on defense in Round 1:

'99 McNabb QB
'00 Corey Simon DT
'01 Mitchell WR
'02 Lito Sheppard CB
'03 Jerome McDougal DE
'04 Shane Andrews T
'05 Mike Patterson DT
'06 Brodrick Bunkley DT
'07 No Pick
'08 No pick
'09 Maclin WR
'10 Brandon Graham DE

Just saying Heckert, despite the WCO roots that Andy Reid had as well, has seen a lot of focus on the dl/ol and defense in general in the past.

True dat.

Also true there was alot of focus on shitty picks. Yeesh.

sayin'.
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:18 pm

fairvis wrote:I fully expect a DL pick if Heckert's guy is there. If Heckert's guy isn't there, then Green will be there, and I'd fully support that pick as well. This draft is uber-deep in DL, so if Dareus, Bowers, and Fairley are gone, I can see Heyward or Watt available in the second. There's around 8-10 first-round grade DEs out there this year, and 4-5 first-round grade DTs. Someone will certainly be there in the second if Heckert's guy isn't available at #6.

I will break down and weep tears of joy if we pick JJ Watt. An old school Brown I could really root for. Reminds me of AAron Kampman.
jb

Unread postby Prosecutor » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:26 am

Bernie Kosar just said that Daboll is a good coordinator who had no chance to be successful here because he had no playmakers. He said the 2010 Browns had Peyton Hillis and nobody else. Yeah, Bernie, we all kind of noticed that. The Browns lost five close games because the offense did nothing in the second half, games where one big play could have won it. Or even an 8-yard catch for a first down at the right time.

Every single reputable draft site I've seen has Green rated higher than Quinn, in some cases much, much higher, as in the case of Mike Mayock. It's also hard to properly evaluate a player who didn't play a single down last year. The one year Quinn did play he failed to record a single sack against the five strongest teams on the schedule. I don't even know why this is a matter for discussion.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:41 am

Prosecutor wrote:Bernie Kosar just said that Daboll is a good coordinator who had no chance to be successful here because he had no playmakers. He said the 2010 Browns had Peyton Hillis and nobody else. Yeah, Bernie, we all kind of noticed that. The Browns lost five close games because the offense did nothing in the second half, games where one big play could have won it. Or even an 8-yard catch for a first down at the right time.

Every single reputable draft site I've seen has Green rated higher than Quinn, in some cases much, much higher, as in the case of Mike Mayock. It's also hard to properly evaluate a player who didn't play a single down last year. The one year Quinn did play he failed to record a single sack against the five strongest teams on the schedule. I don't even know why this is a matter for discussion.

No discussion for this but having Indians hitters move up in the box was worth talking about?

You see no irony in that? :lmfao:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Prosecutor » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:11 pm

I never suggested having the Indians hitters move up in the box. If I did I must have been stoned or something. All that would accomplish would be to speed up the game by about four seconds because 27 Tribe hitters would makes an out a fraction of a second sooner. Which over the course of a season would mean about 7 less minutes of suffering for Tribe fans. Not a bad idea after all.

I still can't believe peeps are even considering taking a kid at #6 that had brain surgery, didn't play last year because he broke NCAA rules and lied repeatedly to investigators, and padded his 2009 stats against the weakest teams while getting shut out completely by the better ones. Especially if it means passing on the best WR prospect in 4-5 years.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:17 pm

Prosecutor wrote:I never suggested having the Indians hitters move up in the box. If I did I must have been stoned or something. All that would accomplish would be to speed up the game by about four seconds because 27 Tribe hitters would makes an out a fraction of a second sooner. Which over the course of a season would mean about 7 less minutes of suffering for Tribe fans. Not a bad idea after all.

I still can't believe peeps are even considering taking a kid at #6 that had brain surgery, didn't play last year because he broke NCAA rules and lied repeatedly to investigators, and padded his 2009 stats against the weakest teams while getting shut out completely by the better ones. Especially if it means passing on the best WR prospect in 4-5 years.

It was a multiple page thread in the Tribe forums Pros. Not saying it was your idea. But wasting space and being incredulous about anything here are relative terms.

And aside from the pesky brain tumor thing, all the other stuff worked out okay for Dez Bryant ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Prosecutor » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:58 pm

There have been a lot of multi-page threads about things not worth talking about, and I'm not proud to say I may have participated in a few of them. Hopefully this thread stops at one page. I see by the poll at the top that the vote is 16 to 5 in favor of Green over Quinn, so it's over 3 to 1. Reason and sanity prevail for once.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby jta1975 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:40 pm

I hope this guy and one QB go in the top five. We will be in PRIME position. If he runs a time in the 4.2s there will be teams stepping on faces to get him. No Doubt.

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2011/2/3/1972984/patrick-peterson-thinks-highly-of-patrick-peterson
jta1975

Favorite Player: Red Face
Least Favorite Player: Clean Pants

Unread postby jta1975 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:42 pm

If you like looking at mock drafts. Here is the mecca.

http://hailredskins.com/MockDraft.htm
jta1975

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:27 pm

After watching yesterday and glancing at the names of the WRs on the Browns roster it simply has to be Green if he's there. Has to be. You can't run any offense with 6 3rd WRs on your roster.

You can't. And certainly can't judge your QB with that lineup of slop WRs.

No free agency if the CBA ain't fixed. Gonna kill a team in need of help like the Browns.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jta1975 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:23 pm

I agree about the level of WR. I mean it is a factor some ignore. I hope this Mike Wilson(new WR coach) guy can develop WRs. I really like the upside of Carlton Mitchell being a big play guy. I didn't realize he came out after his junior year at USF and only started playing in high school. He actually started at punter because he grew up playing soccer.

The kids mom is a cutman(woman) for Antonio Tarver. She is an Anistethiologist(however u spell it).

He is a baby in the WR world. With his 4.4 speed and size he could be the downfield guy if he develops. I am not banking on him being a stud, but he has potential to get down field. He is even younger than a normal with less experience than most.

I won't be mad if we pick Green. The only way I would be upset is if Bowers or Fairley is still there and that would be like winning the lottery.

http://www.carltonmitchell.net/
jta1975

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:33 am

jta1975 wrote: I hope this Mike Wilson(new WR coach) guy can develop WRs.

LMFAO

I mean welcome to the boards and all and I respect your takes but 99% of the posters here believe that Shurmur doesn't matter and Jauron doesn't matter and all it takes is H&H to draft well and since we have a great system things will be hunky dory. The WR coach is completely irrelevent. Coaching is over rated. Just read the posts.
mattvan1

Unread postby jta1975 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:14 am

mattvan1 wrote:

LMFAO

I mean welcome to the boards and all and I respect your takes but 99% of the posters here believe that Shurmur doesn't matter and Jauron doesn't matter and all it takes is H&H to draft well and since we have a great system things will be hunky dory. The WR coach is completely irrelevent. Coaching is over rated. Just read the posts.

Thanks, I know what most people think. Been a troll in many places for a long time.

I can't help be that dumb little guy in school who doesn't have a problem telling the class bully he is wrong,...only to get scoop slammed.....Then I go to school the next day and do it all over again...

I sleep better if I consume myself with possible solutions. I grew sleepless being disgusted with the failures...
jta1975

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:26 am

mattvan1 wrote:

LMFAO

:lmfao: :pb:

Here we go. Matt has now placed the multiple people here who disagree with him and who had no issue with how Shurmur was hired into the 'coaching doesn't matter' group. He's a still a bit raw from H&H not meeting his definition of 'Process'.

Or, given that 100 people may post here overall, he's the only one that understands it. I'll say this Jay, I worked for Joe Pendry and I worked for the next season for Lindy Infante. I have a pretty good understanding how much difference coaching makes. And even if I didn't have that experience, I'd have enough sense to wonder why the Browns are still paying about 30 coaches to not coach when it didn't matter at all who did it.

I honestly believe there are those beside you, me and Matt who get it too. They're out there. :cheers:

So take Uncle Matt's anger and hurt with a grain of salt. ;-) ;) :wink: :nanner:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:12 am

peeker643 wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

LMFAO

Here we go. Matt has now placed the multiple people here who disagree with him and who had no issue with how Shurmur was hired into the 'coaching doesn't matter' group. He's a still a bit raw from H&H not meeting his definition of 'Process'.

Or, given that 100 people may post here overall, he's the only one that understands it. I'll say this Jay, I worked for Joe Pendry and I worked for the next season for Lindy Infante. I have a pretty good understanding how much difference coaching makes. And even if I didn't have that experience, I'd have enough sense to wonder why the Browns are still paying about 30 coaches to not coach when it didn't matter at all who did it.

I honestly believe there are those beside you, me and Matt who get it too. They're out there. :cheers:

So take Uncle Matt's anger and hurt with a grain of salt. ;-) ;) :wink: :nanner:

Wow. Didn't mean for a jab, which was not intended for either Brian or jta, to cause such a ruckus. My bad guys.
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:11 am

mattvan1 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

LMFAO

Wow. Didn't mean for a jab, which was not intended for either Brian or jta, to cause such a ruckus. My bad guys.

Was it meant for JB?

If it was I'm good with the entire take. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:04 pm

A long time ago in a domain far, far away I used to share the lead in a forum where the credo was attacking the post savagely was fine, but attacking the poster was not. The point is that one can crack the snot out of a take, but everyone knew it was good and civil, so there was both less jabs, less creation of camps, and less thumbs in mouths all arund. It was pretty GD arrogant though. Elitest as well. Or so I was told.

Anyway, It was a pretty good code for a quality discussion board so long as everyone knew it and understood it.

If that is what we want.
jb

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:27 am

Is it wrong of me to be more-so convinced that there will be talented D-Ends/DT's in the later rounds and than say, at WR or CB, both of which I prefer at this point?

With all due respect to Quinn, the idea that he missed that much this past season is making me quite uneasy in burning a draft pick on him, if he is there.

I think I'd much rather have Cameron Heyward or Ryan Kerrigan (slight bias there), as I was really impressed at how those guys would just flat out take over a game the times I saw them play.

But I don't feel comfortable taking those guys at 6 either. So, either go Corner or WR I guess.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby jerryroche » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:36 am

My two cents: A pre-Combine draft board, taking into consideration the Browns' primary needs, at which positions the Browns can pick up talent in later rounds, and (of course) the fairly heavy money involved with Pick #6:

1. Da’Quan Bowers (DE)
2. Nick Fairley (DT)
3. Patrick Peterson (CB)
4. A.J. Green (WR)
5. Marcell Dareus (DE/DT)
6. Von Miller (OLB)

It'd be nice if one or more QBs go before the Browns pick, giving them a shot at Peterson, Green or Dareus. But ONE of those six guys will definitely be on the board when the Browns are on the clock, and I don't think they could go wrong with any of them. ('Course, I said the same thing about Courtney Brown a few years back.)
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:59 pm

I really like the upside of Carlton Mitchell being a big play guy.

Cause he showed so much last year. Jesus...

The Browns have the worst WR crew in the NFL. Green is being touted as a Calvin Johnson caliber prospect. Don't over-think it.
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL