Text Size

No Holds Barred

iPhone vs Droid

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:19 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:God I hate tech phone nerds.

It's a fucking phone, not your life. So stfu about the stupid egotistical crap it can do for you. Just stick it right up your ass.......right up there.

If it can't open a beer bottle it's a worthless hunk of shit.
I pretty much agree, it's not like you need a phone to go to Chipotle's.
Last edited by FUDU on Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:22 pm

The just put in one of those shitty ass fucking Chipotle's by my office.

I may burn it down.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:41 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:The just put in one of those shitty ass fucking Chipotle's by my office.

I may burn it down.


Shoulda known, anything that has been cool for 3+ years could not possibly be cool to you any longer.

Chipotle - check
Top Chef - check
NFL - check
Facebook - check
iPhone - check
Bill Simmons - check

We are all impressed how cutting edge you are.

Items on the verge of sucking

Chrome
Barack Obama
Twitter
Kelly Dwyer
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7059
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby fairvis » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:43 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:God I hate tech phone nerds.

It's a fucking phone, not your life. So stfu about the stupid egotistical crap it can do for you. Just stick it right up your ass.......right up there.

If it can't open a beer bottle it's a worthless hunk of shit.


The iPhone's got you covered on that... /snark

Image

http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/giftsforhim/e61b/
User avatar
fairvis
 
Posts: 877
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:48 pm

I really hate Apple.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:34 pm

Thanks for all of the opinions. I probably learned more about phones from Eyore's and JCoz's back and forth than I was able to figure out in my life by myself.

Probably leaning toward the Droid. I may be wrong, but it seems that the iP4 being released in Feb will run on the 3G. The iP5 is probably getting released around June, but the speculation is that the iP5 will probably not get released on Verizon until early next year. At least according to what I read on CNET.

I don't really want to wait a year, but I don't want the old model either.

What it comes down to is either phone is going to be way more than adequate for the stupid shit I need it for.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:38 pm

Ziner wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:The just put in one of those shitty ass fucking Chipotle's by my office.

I may burn it down.


Shoulda known, anything that has been cool for 3+ years could not possibly be cool to you any longer.

Chipotle - check
Top Chef - check
NFL - check
Facebook - check
iPhone - check
Bill Simmons - check

We are all impressed how cutting edge you are.

Items on the verge of sucking

Chrome
Barack Obama
Twitter
Kelly Dwyer


I won't get on the "verge" items, but I don't really see anything wrong with that list...

Oh, I'd add "Happy Birthday" threads to the above list.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
User avatar
Orenthal
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: The Midd Heights
Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:02 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Thanks for all of the opinions. I probably learned more about phones from Eyore's and JCoz's back and forth than I was able to figure out in my life by myself.

Probably leaning toward the Droid. I may be wrong, but it seems that the iP4 being released in Feb will run on the 3G. The iP5 is probably getting released around June, but the speculation is that the iP5 will probably not get released on Verizon until early next year. At least according to what I read on CNET.

I don't really want to wait a year, but I don't want the old model either.

What it comes down to is either phone is going to be way more than adequate for the stupid shit I need it for.


I think Verizon will get the 5 at the same time, but I dont think it will support LTE regardless, so Droid it is for you it seems.

I would imagine you will be thrilled either way coming from a BB.
User avatar
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:57 am
Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:15 pm

JCoz wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:Thanks for all of the opinions. I probably learned more about phones from Eyore's and JCoz's back and forth than I was able to figure out in my life by myself.

Probably leaning toward the Droid. I may be wrong, but it seems that the iP4 being released in Feb will run on the 3G. The iP5 is probably getting released around June, but the speculation is that the iP5 will probably not get released on Verizon until early next year. At least according to what I read on CNET.

I don't really want to wait a year, but I don't want the old model either.

What it comes down to is either phone is going to be way more than adequate for the stupid shit I need it for.


I think Verizon will get the 5 at the same time, but I dont think it will support LTE regardless, so Droid it is for you it seems.

I would imagine you will be thrilled either way coming from a BB.


Why would they make an iP5 that doesn't support LTE? Seems kind of dumb.

And won't verizon users who bought a 4 in feb get pissed if the 5 becomes available 5 months later?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:49 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
JCoz wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:Thanks for all of the opinions. I probably learned more about phones from Eyore's and JCoz's back and forth than I was able to figure out in my life by myself.

Probably leaning toward the Droid. I may be wrong, but it seems that the iP4 being released in Feb will run on the 3G. The iP5 is probably getting released around June, but the speculation is that the iP5 will probably not get released on Verizon until early next year. At least according to what I read on CNET.

I don't really want to wait a year, but I don't want the old model either.

What it comes down to is either phone is going to be way more than adequate for the stupid shit I need it for.


I think Verizon will get the 5 at the same time, but I dont think it will support LTE regardless, so Droid it is for you it seems.

I would imagine you will be thrilled either way coming from a BB.


Why would they make an iP5 that doesn't support LTE? Seems kind of dumb.

And won't verizon users who bought a 4 in feb get pissed if the 5 becomes available 5 months later?


Yes, some will, that's why I suggested waiting til June if it was going to be around april when you bought.

And I'm not POSITIVE they will forgo LTE, its just my feeling based on the past. Reasons would be a couple things. 1st, the battery life Eo talked about. LTE/Wimax is a brutal battery drain under current tech, the iphone 5 would go from 7 hours of mod-heavy usage to probably half that, without exaggerating.

Apple doesn't like to go backwards on things like that.

Verizons LTE is still limited (not available at all yet), and ATT wont be ready for another year as well.

The key may be how much pressure they get outside of the US to add LTE NOW.

Its a funky spot they are in, because in reality, between the limited coverage and tech drawbacks, it really isn't a definite need to have feature for most people, especially considering that you are charged a $10 premium ($120 per year, $240 over the contract) for LTE data....(I don't know this for sure for VZN, but cell companies rarely break ranks with those things these days and Sprint is already doing it)

It's more like a calculated give and take. For me I'd rather have the battery that last 2x as long my data is plenty fast for my use. Now to be fair, Eo could turn off his 4g and battery would improve, but you are still paying that premium regardless.

I can understand the idea of not putting it in right now.

Just remember that LTE has some drawbacks, and you will need to decide whether you will think its worth the premium minus the battery life for it.

Then again, they may fuck you anyways ala Sprint:

http://www.cputerworld.com/s/article/9205406/Sprint_adds_10_monthly_data_charge_to_new_smartphone_users?taxonomyId=77om
User avatar
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:57 am
Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby fairvis » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:07 pm

The original iPhone was 2G only (EDGE on AT&T) even though 3G coverage was at a higher stage of maturity then LTE will be this summer. I don't think that the iPhone will be LTE compatible until July 2012 as well (for the reasons that JCoz has clearly stated).

Apple issues new iPhones pretty much every July, and there's little reason to think that they'll delay the Verizon iPhone 5 to January. If you get the Verizon iPhone 4 at launch (like I'm planning) you'll be ready to upgrade with the LTE iPhone 6 in 2012. People buy iPhones year-round- there are even people that will buy the iPhone in June, knowing that the new one will be announced in the next few days.

It's funny how people get ticked and wait for new iPhones, but will go out and buy a Droid X, and then the Droid 2 comes out, or the Droid 2 R2-D2 edition, or whatever, and not complain nearly as much about getting "left behind". The new hotness in Android changes weekly, it seems. My thoughts are that the iPhone 5 will have some cool features, but be very much like the 3G/3GS- some speed bumps, more RAM, better camera, etc. but nothing ground-breakingly different.

The Droid Bionic looks like it's going to be a sweet-ass phone, and it'll probably be out around April. (http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/26/moto ... of-februa/)
User avatar
fairvis
 
Posts: 877
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:15 pm

fairvis wrote:The original iPhone was 2G only (EDGE on AT&T) even though 3G coverage was at a higher stage of maturity then LTE will be this summer. I don't think that the iPhone will be LTE compatible until July 2012 as well (for the reasons that JCoz has clearly stated).

Apple issues new iPhones pretty much every July, and there's little reason to think that they'll delay the Verizon iPhone 5 to January. If you get the Verizon iPhone 4 at launch (like I'm planning) you'll be ready to upgrade with the LTE iPhone 6 in 2012. People buy iPhones year-round- there are even people that will buy the iPhone in June, knowing that the new one will be announced in the next few days.

It's funny how people get ticked and wait for new iPhones, but will go out and buy a Droid X, and then the Droid 2 comes out, or the Droid 2 R2-D2 edition, or whatever, and not complain nearly as much about getting "left behind". The new hotness in Android changes weekly, it seems. My thoughts are that the iPhone 5 will have some cool features, but be very much like the 3G/3GS- some speed bumps, more RAM, better camera, etc. but nothing ground-breakingly different.

The Droid Bionic looks like it's going to be a sweet-ass phone, and it'll probably be out around April. (http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/26/moto ... of-februa/)


I agree with ALMOST everything you said there, especially about the Droid things where people dont seem to mention getting left behind. Very true.

Also, Quallcomm is rumored to be supplying the new chips which will theoretically merge the iphone again into 1 phone for all carriers, as it will handle CDMA and GSM, another reason there is likely no point to delaying an iphone 5 launch on VZN.

To the Ipone 5 features, I'm in the boat that its going to be more than a minor upgrade.

I think there is a good chance that they increase the screen to around 3.75" to 3.8", and its all but guaranteed to contain the new A5 dual core SoC and contain NFC chip/support.
User avatar
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:57 am
Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:21 pm

JCoz wrote:
fairvis wrote:The original iPhone was 2G only (EDGE on AT&T) even though 3G coverage was at a higher stage of maturity then LTE will be this summer. I don't think that the iPhone will be LTE compatible until July 2012 as well (for the reasons that JCoz has clearly stated).

Apple issues new iPhones pretty much every July, and there's little reason to think that they'll delay the Verizon iPhone 5 to January. If you get the Verizon iPhone 4 at launch (like I'm planning) you'll be ready to upgrade with the LTE iPhone 6 in 2012. People buy iPhones year-round- there are even people that will buy the iPhone in June, knowing that the new one will be announced in the next few days.

It's funny how people get ticked and wait for new iPhones, but will go out and buy a Droid X, and then the Droid 2 comes out, or the Droid 2 R2-D2 edition, or whatever, and not complain nearly as much about getting "left behind". The new hotness in Android changes weekly, it seems. My thoughts are that the iPhone 5 will have some cool features, but be very much like the 3G/3GS- some speed bumps, more RAM, better camera, etc. but nothing ground-breakingly different.

The Droid Bionic looks like it's going to be a sweet-ass phone, and it'll probably be out around April. (http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/26/moto ... of-februa/)


I agree with ALMOST everything you said there, especially about the Droid things where people dont seem to mention getting left behind. Very true.

Also, Quallcomm is rumored to be supplying the new chips which will theoretically merge the iphone again into 1 phone for all carriers, as it will handle CDMA and GSM, another reason there is likely no point to delaying an iphone 5 launch on VZN.

To the Ipone 5 features, I'm in the boat that its going to be more than a minor upgrade.

I think there is a good chance that they increase the screen to around 3.75" to 3.8", and its all but guaranteed to contain the new A5 dual core SoC and contain NFC chip/support.


Jesus Christ.

Will it ring when someone calls me?

Can I text a friend?

Can I look at my email?

Yes?

Ship it.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22656
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:36 pm

Did I tell you guys about my fucking sweet Samsung? It is pretty bad ass, I can call people, text, use a calendar, take shitty pictures, play othello, set an alarm to wake me up in the morning, it is like a god-damn personal assistant. I strongly suggest it mother.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7059
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:40 pm

Ziner wrote:Did I tell you guys about my fucking sweet Samsung? It is pretty bad ass, I can call people, text, use a calendar, take shitty pictures, play othello, set an alarm to wake me up in the morning, it is like a god-damn personal assistant. I strongly suggest it mother.


Ape.

I can set the thermostat in my mother's Hyundai with my phone and, if I don't mind going blind, I can read a book and watch a Mary Tyler Moore re-run on it too.

All for just about what my parent's mortgage payment was on the house I grew up in.

Suck that.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22656
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:49 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Ziner wrote:Did I tell you guys about my fucking sweet Samsung? It is pretty bad ass, I can call people, text, use a calendar, take shitty pictures, play othello, set an alarm to wake me up in the morning, it is like a god-damn personal assistant. I strongly suggest it mother.


Ape.

I can set the thermostat in my mother's Hyundai with my phone and, if I don't mind going blind, I can read a book and watch a Mary Tyler Moore re-run on it too.

All for just about what my parent's mortgage payment was on the house I grew up in.

Suck that.


Yeah, but I bet don't have a mutha fuckin' world clock or a ringer that sounds quite like "Le Club"

BOOM!

Even have a picture I took as my background and everything.

What now?
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7059
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:56 pm

Ziner wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
Ziner wrote:Did I tell you guys about my fucking sweet Samsung? It is pretty bad ass, I can call people, text, use a calendar, take shitty pictures, play othello, set an alarm to wake me up in the morning, it is like a god-damn personal assistant. I strongly suggest it mother.


Ape.

I can set the thermostat in my mother's Hyundai with my phone and, if I don't mind going blind, I can read a book and watch a Mary Tyler Moore re-run on it too.

All for just about what my parent's mortgage payment was on the house I grew up in.

Suck that.


Yeah, but I bet don't have a mutha fuckin' world clock or a ringer that sounds quite like "Le Club"

BOOM!

Even have a picture I took as my background and everything.

What now?


Sometimes, with my At&T service, I get through almost an entire conversation before my call drops and there are even times when a voicemail will end up in mailbox on the same fucking day someone left it.

WHOOOSH!!!!

Winner-winner. My phone sounds like a light saber if I want it too. And I can hold it up to a song and get the name of the song and the artist.

Still, be nice to actually have the phone thing work. Not gonna lie about that.

But you can't touch the light sabre feature.

Oh yeah, my phone acts as a level too. And a flashlight. And a police scanner (which actually IS fun).

That's all I got really.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22656
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:01 am

Now you are gonna talk shit on my talk carrier charging ten dollars that is built into your fees on AT&T?

Christ dude, I don't like being a tech nerd but STFU.

I pay $140 a month with Sprint and I keep my little brother a line. That $140 includes unlimited calls to any mobile phone from any mobile carrier and 1500 minutes to call land lines. It also includes full insurance on two phones, full taxes (which, look at your bill, cell taxes suck ass and vary by city), unlimited texting/internet and two 4G phones.

Sprint is hands down the cheapest on the market right now. Granted that is only because they have been floating above bankruptcy since they bought Nextel, but they give bang for buck. Free Roam to.

And I get 20% off just for being sexy (or for having been with them for 10 years, including the five year period where they were the prehistoric lead to AT&T).
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:21 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Now you are gonna talk shit on my talk carrier charging ten dollars that is built into your fees on AT&T?

Christ dude, I don't like being a tech nerd but STFU.

I pay $140 a month with Sprint and I keep my little brother a line. That $140 includes unlimited calls to any mobile phone from any mobile carrier and 1500 minutes to call land lines. It also includes full insurance on two phones, full taxes (which, look at your bill, cell taxes suck ass and vary by city), unlimited texting/internet and two 4G phones.

Sprint is hands down the cheapest on the market right now. Granted that is only because they have been floating above bankruptcy since they bought Nextel, but they give bang for buck. Free Roam to.

And I get 20% off just for being sexy (or for having been with them for 10 years, including the five year period where they were the prehistoric lead to AT&T).


I just meant that the upcharge for 4g is coming to all carriers.

I don't know what it built in, depends on what you use your phone for.

unlimited minutes are worthless to me, as I use about 150/month outside of the network during weekdays.

For a guy who uses alot of minutes that sounds like a great deal, no shit.

I pay $220 all in for 5 lines, 3 IP4's - with unlimited messaging and the smallest data plans.

It suits our needs because I live in wifi 70% of the time.

So I can't complain in that I dont feel limited at all for my usage the way I live it, for about $44 a phone. We have 8000 rollover min and use just under our alloted data.

If I were to use a 4g phone, which I will eventually, I'd imagine I'd be charged $10 extra which would double my cost almost for data, for something I wouldn't value very much.

Its all based on user preference, how you use your phone.

Wasn't trying to "talk shit" just pointing out that 4G isn't a free upgrade, and doesn't necessarily benefit someone, myself as an example.
User avatar
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:57 am
Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:38 am

They are killing that network now too, we just found out at work.

I'm thrilled because it was the only thing keeping us with nextels side of sprint here.

I'm actually hoping I get a newer Android phone just so I can live with one for a while to do a real time comparison.

Love apples products but beyond the Mac, I'm no shill for life, I'll go with something else if its clearly better.
User avatar
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:57 am
Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:49 am

Before Taxes and Insurance I also live for $45 a phone roughly.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:55 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Before Taxes and Insurance I also live for $45 a phone roughly.


Only reason I get it with taxes and all is because I came up with the idea to have my wife's parents and sister's plan to join our family plan over Xmas.

Pretty sweet deal, cause they live in michigan and we are in md.

changed the cost from almost $300 (with only 1 smartphone) between the two to $220 for one with 3 smartphones.
User avatar
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:57 am
Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:04 am

My address with Sprint is still in Hartford CT because their taxes are $5 cheaper than Bostons. My lil bro's in Columbus are $10 more than the Hartford rates. Cell tower taxes are entirely based on where you live. Typically you pay for the right to use towers in your "home town."
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:06 am

e0y2e3 wrote:My address with Sprint is still in Hartford CT because their taxes are $5 cheaper than Bostons. My lil bro's in Columbus are $10 more than the Hartford rates. Cell tower taxes are entirely based on where you live. Typically you pay for the right to use towers in your "home town."


Yeah our taxes were worse here, but Val gets a company discount so it was slightly cheaper overall than if we had joined theirs in MI.
User avatar
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:57 am
Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby jerryroche » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:51 am

I'm not into heavy cellphone use, but I came across this interesting piece today...

http://www.emarketer.com/Article.aspx?R=1008200

“The open-source Android OS requires no licensing fee and allows handset manufacturers and wireless carriers considerable latitude to customize the user interface according to their desired specifications,” said Noah Elkin, eMarketer principal analyst and author of a forthcoming report on mobile devices. “With a growing roster of manufacturer and carrier partners in every major market and market segment, scale for Android is coming quickly in terms of device, market share, apps and ad revenues.”

Market share figures from several research firms show just how fast that scale has come. Between 2009 and 2010, Android grabbed a significant slice of the pie -- growing from 9% market share to 26% -- mostly at the expense of Research In Motion and other non-Apple handsets.
jerryroche
 
Posts: 604
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:54 pm
Location: Strongsville, Ohio
Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:36 am

I have a 5 yr old Motorola flip phone

I don't have any numbers on speed dial...if I can't remember your number you're not important to me

I don't text...if I get one I delete it before reading it

Pay about $85 for two phones

...and if any of you text while driving I seriously hope you crash into a tree or telephine pole, total your freaking car and miss 4 weeks of work
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
User avatar
Fire Marshall Bill
 
Posts: 2691
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:00 pm
Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:16 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:I have a 5 yr old Motorola flip phone

I don't have any numbers on speed dial...if I can't remember your number you're not important to me

I don't text...if I get one I delete it before reading it

Pay about $85 for two phones

...and if any of you text while driving I seriously hope you crash into a tree or telephine pole, total your freaking car and miss 4 weeks of work


JTDC FMB, it's almost like you don't care about porn at all.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Previous

Return to No Holds Barred

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest