Text Size

No Holds Barred

iPhone vs Droid

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:42 pm

In the next few months I plan on ditching my crapberry and picking up either a Droid or an iPhone. I'm on verizon and would prefer not to switch carriers.

What say the mob?
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:28 am

No one wants to help you because no one likes you mother.

Although CDT hasn't been on yet, pretty sure he can point you in the direction of a solid German made rotary phone.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:32 am

motherscratcher wrote:In the next few months I plan on ditching my crapberry and picking up either a Droid or an iPhone. I'm on verizon and would prefer not to switch carriers.

What say the mob?

How important is tinkering with things like the GUI to you?

Do you know what it means to root a phone?

Personally I really like the iphone, I bought the original and then finally upgraded to an IP4 recently.

I think generally, unless you are one of those that is going to root their droid and likes to change the interface and tinker alot, I'd go with the iphone. But it really is all user preference.

They are both great operating systems, But i think the iphone is easier to get what you want out of it and there is no question it is better supported.

BTW, if you are going to get a new phone in the next couple of months and you decide on an iphone, wait till June for the Iphone 5, either to get the latest and greatest or to get the 4 for cheaper. It will make no sense to get a 4 in April IMO.

If you have any specific questions about what it can or can't do let me know.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:53 am

e0y2e3 wrote:No one wants to help you because no one likes you mother.

Although CDT hasn't been on yet, pretty sure he can point you in the direction of a solid German made rotary phone.

I know, man. You'd think at my age i'd have a thicker skin, but it just makes me sad. Terribly sad.

But it's OK. I just learned how to put on eyeliner, this afternoon I'm getting my lip and eyebrow pierced, and I'm downloading Skinny Puppy as we speak.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:56 am

I used to have an iPhone, and now I have an HTC Droid Incredible. I'd never go back to the iPhone. I'm not saying this as a hater of all things Apple either - I use only Mac computers and the like. I just don't think the iPhone is a very good phone.

I'm not a power user, I don't have 400 apps, but I have everything I need. I don't really listen to MP3s on my phone so I can't speak to how easy that is to do, but for everything else I need it's great. The camera is really better too - 8 megapixels vs. 5 megapixels.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:00 am

JCoz wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:In the next few months I plan on ditching my crapberry and picking up either a Droid or an iPhone. I'm on verizon and would prefer not to switch carriers.

What say the mob?

How important is tinkering with things like the GUI to you?

Do you know what it means to root a phone?

Personally I really like the iphone, I bought the original and then finally upgraded to an IP4 recently.

I think generally, unless you are one of those that is going to root their droid and likes to change the interface and tinker alot, I'd go with the iphone. But it really is all user preference.

They are both great operating systems, But i think the iphone is easier to get what you want out of it and there is no question it is better supported.

BTW, if you are going to get a new phone in the next couple of months and you decide on an iphone, wait till June for the Iphone 5, either to get the latest and greatest or to get the 4 for cheaper. It will make no sense to get a 4 in April IMO.

If you have any specific questions about what it can or can't do let me know.

Well, since I don't know what GUI is or what it means to root a phone, I probably don't need to worry about those things.

I'm not a business man or have a lot of appointments so I don't need a blackberry for a calender or that kind of stuff.

Basically, I text people, check email, browse occasionally, and when I absolutely have to I'll actually talk to people.

The reason I want to get rid of the blackberry is because the browser sucks and is really slow. Also, I always hear that blackberry apps suck.

I want a phone that won't drop calls, is easy to email and text, takes a decent picture, and browses faster than old people screw.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:06 am

Did you see if you can upgrade to Blackberry 6? It's supposed to be a faster web browser.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:11 am

exiledbuckeye wrote:I used to have an iPhone, and now I have an HTC Droid Incredible. I'd never go back to the iPhone. I'm not saying this as a hater of all things Apple either - I use only Mac computers and the like. I just don't think the iPhone is a very good phone.

I'm not a power user, I don't have 400 apps, but I have everything I need. I don't really listen to MP3s on my phone so I can't speak to how easy that is to do, but for everything else I need it's great. The camera is really better too - 8 megapixels vs. 5 megapixels.

I agree that there are some great options out there, even though I dont buy more MP=better camera.

Iphones screen is unmatched, and it does everything that scratcher would want, and very easily. Its 2-year old simple IMO.

So could a few android phones. Personally the only phone I could see owning over the iphone would be the EVO, but that's just me.

I just think that the iphone will be a good phone for alot longer as they will probably provide a major update for the operating system 2 or 3 times before it loses support, which for major releases can almost be like getting a new phone.

If he rooted his droid he could do that himself as well.

Call quality should be a wash, its verizon vs verizon.
JCoz

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:25 am

Thanks for the info. I'm probably leaning iPhone now for the reason that JCoz said, it's probably the simplest to use, and I'm a simple man. It's what my wife would prefer anyway.

Good tip on waiting for iPhone5.

The reason I'd stick with verizon is because I used to hve sprint and it would constantly drop calls. Maybe that's not a problem anymore no matter who you use.

Is there any problem syncing adress book and downloading photos between an iPhone and PC?
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:30 am

motherscratcher wrote:Thanks for the info. I'm probably leaning iPhone now for the reason that JCoz said, it's probably the simplest to use, and I'm a simple man. It's what my wife would prefer anyway.

Good tip on waiting for iPhone5.

The reason I'd stick with verizon is because I used to hve sprint and it would constantly drop calls. Maybe that's not a problem anymore no matter who you use.

Is there any problem syncing adress book and downloading photos between an iPhone and PC?

Where is the contacts list going to come from?

Photo are really simple, so that's no problem.
JCoz

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:50 am

Erie Warrior wrote:Did you see if you can upgrade to Blackberry 6? It's supposed to be a faster web browser.

I just looked. I have a Storm so no dice. I mean, I've had the phone for over a year and a half now, so there's no way you could expect the upgrades to work for at least 2 WHOLE YEARS! ::doh::
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:27 pm

hehehe....

the storm is pretty much universally considered the worst phone ever made.

you could buy CDT's rotary phone, use it as a cell and consider it an upgrade.

Did you ever consider reading CNET before purchasing a phone?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:46 pm

I have an iPhone as well and have for nearly two years. Nice to know I can grab an Iphone 4 or 5 in June when I'm due to get the upgrade.

I have about 10 apps that I utilize regularly, I use it to text, for email (get a gmail account if you don't have one mother) for music, and, like you, if someone I must speak with calls.

I'm not out there photographing things with a phone so I don't give a shit about that and I've gone 44 years in life without needing a phone to capture video.

I love the iPhone. I'd probably love the Droid too but I'm comfortable with my phone and what it does.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:49 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:hehehe....

the storm is pretty much universally considered the worst phone ever made.

you could buy CDT's rotary phone, use it as a cell and consider it an upgrade.

CNET - never heard of it. I will now.

You may be surprised to hear this, but I'm not exactly what the kids call "tech savy."
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:11 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:

Good advice.

Also, I'd just assume wait until the time you are going to upgrade to compare and choose, as the industry moves quick as hell.

You'll want to wait for a review of the Verizon iphone 4, the iphone 5 review, and the newest Droids at that time.
JCoz

Unread postby fairvis » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:36 pm

A phone's always a questions of needs and wants. I was going to stick with my old-ass Samsung until I got pushed into a pool with my phone in my pocket in August '09, before Verizon had anything worth anything as far as smartphones went. Since I use too many in-network minutes (it's over 80% of my minutes used) it didn't make much sense to go elsewhere, so I got one of the "feature phones" on a 1-year contract, and I've held out to see what comes across.

The Droid Incredible has been reviewed very well, but is now a bit old in the tooth and therefore won't be upgradeable to Android 2.3 (most likely). Samsung's phones are pretty terrible about getting upgrades, and Motorola has done some (like the Droid/Droid 2) but hasn 't finished it in others.

Really, with Android or iPhone, you're talking about phones with competitive service but different focuses. You can go through the iPhone and customize it to make it as "techy" as you like, breaking certain terms and conditions on the way. The iPhone will also "just work" versus some of the settings that you'll have to deal with on an Android device, as well as apps crashing, memory management, and poor battery life with misuse.

Are you a person that needs to be on the bleeding edge of tech? Android both is and is not your solution then- poor upgradeability standards, and phone support will generally last less then a year. An iPhone will be fully supported by Apple for 2 years, even though later updates may make it a little bit more sluggish.

I'm a bit of a tech nerd, and I've been holding out for the Verizon iPhone... next Thursday, I will join the herd and pre-order it to get it in my grubby little fingers on the launch day.

I would more then anything recommend playing with the phones, and finding the one you like best, especially if you don't care about being bleeding edge. I've worked with Android phones, and outside of a lot of shiny elements, I think iOS just works a little bit snappier and better for my needs.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:01 pm

Yeah, the Storm is god awful. Blackberry is supposedly coming out with a new one around May ... early rumors are that its gonna be sweet, and the web browser is gonna be much better. As will the app capability.

I can upgrade my Blackberry Bold in May/June, so I am hopeful that Blackberry can finally step up to the plate. They are hemorraghing market share to Apple and the Android phones.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:19 pm

Mom, to me it sounds like one thing can make up your mind, are you a big music guy, do you own an Ipod already?

If yes for to former and no to the latter, buy an Iphone, otherwise you will not notice much difference regardless of how you go, IMHO.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:25 pm

I've had both. Droid kicks iPhone's ass.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:15 am

Fuck all you rubes. Rotary phone is coming back.

I still have a Blackberry, and it's ok at best.

Cellphones are no friend to those with banana fingers.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:20 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Fuck all you rubes. Rotary phone is coming back.

I still have a Blackberry, and it's ok at best.

Cellphones are no friend to those with banana fingers.

If your finger is too big try your wiener.
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

High five
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:26 am

I will not engage in toilet humor with the likes of you.

Now I come to your house and beat you to death with an angry lemur.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:08 am

swerb wrote:Yeah, the Storm is god awful. Blackberry is supposedly coming out with a new one around May ... early rumors are that its gonna be sweet, and the web browser is gonna be much better. As will the app capability.

I can upgrade my Blackberry Bold in May/June, so I am hopeful that Blackberry can finally step up to the plate. They are hemorraghing market share to Apple and the Android phones.

Are you planning on getting the new Storm? Seems kind of risky to me, given my current Storm's performance, on matter what the rumors are.

On thing I do like is the Blackberry to blackberry, but in all honesty, there's really no difference between that and regular texting any more.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:10 am

FUDU wrote:Mom, to me it sounds like one thing can make up your mind, are you a big music guy, do you own an Ipod already?

If yes for to former and no to the latter, buy an Iphone, otherwise you will not notice much difference regardless of how you go, IMHO.

I have an iPod so no real advantage there. Sounds like iPhone fits me best just due to the fact that it will be able to handle upgrades longer than other phones. Also, sounds like it is simpler to use than anything else.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:10 am

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:I've had both. Droid kicks iPhone's ass.

What do you like better about it?
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:24 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
swerb wrote:Yeah, the Storm is god awful. Blackberry is supposedly coming out with a new one around May ... early rumors are that its gonna be sweet, and the web browser is gonna be much better. As will the app capability.

Are you planning on getting the new Storm? Seems kind of risky to me, given my current Storm's performance, on matter what the rumors are.

On thing I do like is the Blackberry to blackberry, but in all honesty, there's really no difference between that and regular texting any more.

No ... I can't do touch screens. I need a keyboard. Was at the Verizon store a few weeks ago and the dude there (who seemed pretty knowledgable) said that BBerry was in production on a couple new phones that were getting pretty good hype.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:24 pm

IPhones are for bitches.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:32 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:IPhones are for bitches.

No they're not. I have an iPho......hey...wait a second here.

Not gonna lie, I like it. Of course, being 44 and having an actual car phone in the early 90's and simple cell phone up til a year and a half ago, maybe I'm just easily impressed. One thing that sucks for sure is no flash player with iphone.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:41 pm

I have fundamental problems with the way Apple runs the IPhone.

1) They put out a product with an antenna that didn't work, on a cell phone! A cell phone that couldn't call people! WOW!

2) The no Flash thing is insane

3) Apple runs their Ap store like a bunch of Nazi fucks, severely limiting available content to the users. Even if I wouldn't use most of the Aps they push out, fuck them. Apple takes this "we do whatever the fuck we want" approach to running their phones and it's annoying as hell. Give me flash and give me Aps you fucks.

4) Apple was big enough pricks with their phone to force users to suck wind on AT&T's terrible coverage for the last how many years? The ultimate fuck you, bow to me move. "We know so many people want this phone we're gonna make them deal with shitty service just to use it... hehehe!"

5) Droids (the advanced ones, Incredible, Evo, etc....)are more powerful and just as simplistic to run (if you are a rube like mother or CDT make sure you get an HTC, as their touchsense interface makes the droid as simple as an IPhone, whereas with the Droid or Droid 2 you just get the raw android operating sysem).

6) Again, mother, just read all the CNET reviews of the phones, they are fantastic (same for TVs, computers, etc).

7) I will say this: my Evo's battery life sucks dong.

8) IPhones are for bitches, Steve Job's bitches. I say this as someone that just bought a Macbook. I'm not fundamentally anti Apple, but the IPhone is the biggest farce ever.

9) Mother, if you want to get tech savvy I recommend spending 30 minutes a day listening to CNET's Buzz Out Loud podcast. It's one of my top three pods, along with Marc Maron's WTF <- best pod in the history of the world, especially the Louis CK and Judd Apatow eps!!!!! and NBA Today/The Basketball Jones <- TIE!)
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:09 pm

I think the thing to look at now is usage charges. AT&T is charging more based on how much you use your iPhone. The flat rate is a thing of the past. So look into the plans that give you the best rate for data usage. I doubt there's a whole lot of difference between the newest smart phones anymore.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:29 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I have fundamental problems with the way Apple runs the IPhone in general.

1) They put out a product with an antenna that didn't work, on a cell phone! A cell phone that couldn't call people! WOW!

2) The no Flash thing is insane

3) Apple runs their Ap store like a bunch of Nazi fucks, severely limiting available content to the users. Even if I wouldn't use most of the Aps they push out, fuck them. Apple takes this "we do whatever the fuck we want" approach to running their phones and it's annoying as hell. Give me flash and give me Aps you fucks.

4) Apple was big enough pricks with their phone to force users to suck wind on AT&T's terrible coverage for the last how many years? The ultimate fuck you, bow to me move. "We know so many people want this phone we're gonna make them deal with shitty service just to use it... hehehe!"

5) Droids (the advanced ones, Incredible, Evo, etc....)are more powerful and just as simplistic to run (if you are a rube like mother or CDT make sure you get an HTC, as their touchsense interface makes the droid as simple as an IPhone, whereas with the Droid or Droid 2 you just get the raw android operating sysem).

6) Again, mother, just read all the CNET reviews of the phones, they are fantastic (same for TVs, computers, etc).

7) I will say this: my Evo's battery life sucks dong.

8) IPhones are for bitches, Steve Job's bitches. I say this as someone that just bought a Macbook. I'm not fundamentally anti Apple, but the IPhone is the biggest farce ever.

9) Mother, if you want to get tech savvy I recommend spending 30 minutes a day listening to CNET's Buzz Out Loud podcast. It's one of my top three pods, along with Marc Maron's WTF <- best pod in the history of the world, especially the Louis CK and Judd Apatow eps!!!!! and NBA Today/The Basketball Jones <- TIE!)

This is an incredibly skewed post, and mostly full of bad conclusions.

1. I have an iphone 4, and the calls work perfectly fine. The antennae attenuation was only a factor for those with poor coverage in their area, and even then the extent that it was covered was massively overblown.

if it wasn't Eo, they wouldn't have sold tens of millions of them AFTER all the hoopla. Simple as that. And this was the IP4 only, and it has been tweaked for Verizon.

2. The no flash thing is something I haven't been hindered by in 4 years. What phones are supporting flash right now? I literally have NEVER been somewhere on the web that it said it couldn't display because there was no flash available. Considering mother's intentions, I doubt he'll find one either. And if he wanted flash he can just get skyfire, you know, the web browser for iphone that supports flash?

3. Again, unless there is a need for tweaking the appearance and adding 5000 ringtones, this is not a negative, and the curated app store has as many benefits as drawbacks from an android perspective. Here's a cool idea from Google and directly applies to how apple runs their app store compared to the marketplace:
"Migration toward HTML apps - The company also hopes to create algorithms to help promote the best apps, making it easier for users to discover worthwhile programs. Chu also indicated that Google planned to turn users' Address Books into a "social graph" that third party apps could tap into."

Awesome. Can't wait to plug my whole contacts list into the google ad machine unknowingly. Luckily they don't bother doing much checking for the intentions of these 3rd party programs, so I'm all good......wait, what??

And yah, the limited couple hundred thousand apps in the app store are really harshing my buzz.

4. When the iphone came out and they signed that deal, the landscape of smartphones was completely different and there were many factors going into that initial deal with ATT. To say they literally signed an exclusive to ATT (in the US only mind you) just as a fuck you, is ridiculous.

5. I would agree that if I got an android and if mother did, HTC would be the way to go, but he is going to verizon (so no EVO), and CNET does not rate the incredible as better than the IPH4, because it isn't. Some of these new ones in a couple months? Who knows, but we'll be comparing that to the IP5, not the 4.

6. Agreed. the Cnet rates the IP4 as one of the best smartphones in the world.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-smartphones/?tag=

7. The IPH4's does not, its the best the smartphone world has to offer last I checked.

8. Anti-apple people exist, what can I say. For anyone who didn't want the mostly imagined restrictions (in real world usage) they can just jailbreak, its pretty damn easy. You'd lose support for new updates, but then you'd be just like any android phone then I guess.

9. No comment
Last edited by JCoz on Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:35 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:I think the thing to look at now is usage charges. AT&T is charging more based on how much you use your iPhone. The flat rate is a thing of the past. So look into the plans that give you the best rate for data usage. I doubt there's a whole lot of difference between the newest smart phones anymore.

Now the Verizon rates are out, they will offer unlimited but it seems like mother wouldn't come close to needing unlimited data.

Cost for smartphones is nearly identical across ALL carriers.

When ATT went to the tiered plans it actually saved me money, I was able to get my wife a smartphone and we paid the same as when she didn't.

Very, very few people need more than 2g of data if they have wifi at home. If you have it at work as well, you dont need 200mb, let alone a gig.
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:47 pm

1) You are completely and 100% wrong. The Antenna problem occured on a huge amount of phones purchased very early on in the phones lifecycle, just look at the number of "repair" cases that Apple has given out. It has since been fixed, no questions there. But the fact remains that they produced a product where if you held it a certain way it didn't work. That's just shotty beta testing, no matter how you look at it. And it had nothing to do with service area, you could have a phone in down town Boston and run it from full to no service, witnessed it myself, by covering the impacted corner.

2) I've used flash probably a dozen times on my phone. It's certainly not something that you cannot live without, but the fact remains that Steve Jobs decided (for reasons no one can figure out) that he is going to dethrone Adobe and decided to run this solo campaign against flash for absolutely no reason. Apple has no logic or reason to refuse flash, beyond arrogance. And it does come up if you are a heavy phone web browser, which I absolutely am.

3) I admitted I personally have no use for most of the Aps that would come up, the problem is not that there is huge limitation (and I never fronted like it was) it is that Apple is heavy handed in pretty much forcing a certain product and system down your throat. It goes hand in hand with the no flash set up, Steve Jobs has put a system together with the IPhone that is "you're getting whatever the fuck we want to give you, deal with it"

4) AT&T has never, ever, ever, ever, ever had anywhere near the infastructure of the other companies. Apple ignored infrastructure entirely and signed on with AT&T. Call it a fuck you or don't, I could give a rats ass, but to pretend like they didn't ignore customer service from a network infrastructure standpoint is also a farce.

5) As for trying to pretend like there are huge differences in terms of performance between the Droid X, Droid Incredible and IPhone 4, there isn't (and I never said there was, have no clue how you took a post about an arrogant attitude exhibited by a company and a controlling nature and turned it into my implying that there were performance problems). They are all fine phones that will do whatever you want. Apple just acts like a bunch of Nazi fucks with the IPhone, this is proven, well reported and well known. Defend your phone all you want, I don't care. It works fine. It'll text and do facebook fine. It's just put out by people that are acting like Nazi fucks(and again, I only use Apple computers at home, I'm fine with their products). IPhone is for Steve Jobs bitches.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:59 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:1) You are completely and 100% wrong. The Antenna problem occured on a huge amount of phones, just look at the number of "repair" cases that Apple has given out. It has since been fixed and Apple fixed the issue, no questions there. But the fact remains that they produced a product where if you held it a certain way it didn't work. That's just shotty.

2) I've used flash probably a dozen times on my phone. It's certainly not something that you cannot live without, but the fact remains that Steve Jobs decided (for reasons no one can figure out) that he is going to dethrone Adobe and decided to run this solo campaign against flash for absolutely no reason. Apple has no logic or reason to refuse flash, beyond arrogance. And it does come up if you are a heavy phone web browser, which I absolutely am.

3) I admitted I personally have no use for most of the Aps that would come up, the problem is not that there is huge limitation (and I never fronted like it was) it is that Apple is heavy handed in pretty much forcing a certain product and system down your throat. It goes hand in hand with the no flash set up, Steve Jobs has put a system together with the IPhone that is "you're getting whatever the fuck we want to give you, deal with it"

4) AT&T has never, ever, ever, ever, ever had anywhere near the infastructure of the other companies. Apple ignored infrastructure entirely and signed on with AT&T. Call it a fuck you or don't, I could give a rats ass, but to pretend like they didn't ignore customer service from a network infrastructure standpoint is also a farce.

5) As for trying to pretend like there are huge differences in terms of performance between the Droid X, Droid Incredible and IPhone 4, there isn't (and I never said there was, have no clue how you took a post about an arrogant attitude exhibited by a company and a controlling nature and turned it into my implying that there were performance problems). They are all fine phones that will do whatever you want. Apple just acts like a bunch of Nazi fucks with the IPhone, this is proven, well reported and well known. Defend your phone all you want, I don't care. It works fine. It'll text and do facebook fine. It's just put out by people that are acting like fucks with their phone (and again, I only use Apple computers at home, I'm fine with their products). IPhone is for Steve Jobs bitches.

Flash is available through skyfire now, its a non issue. He has a hard on for flash because its a shitty product, why do you think it literally took years for other smartphones to have it available at all? I think he may ease off that gas soon anyways when the hardware gets a bit better. Again, with skyfire there it solves iphone not supporting flash.

Apple also keeps a heavy hand in at least attempting to protect customer experience by policing the app store.

Could he be less heavy handed? Sure, but I'd rather have it how it is than the free for all in the android market place.

I'm also not into being Googles bitch, sharing basically everything left that is actually personal, with an advertisement company who only makes revenue by collecting info on you and your friends and storing it forever to use in selling advertisements.

If the iphone is for steve's bitches, then in the same token, Andriod is for Googles.

Either way it seems you end up someones bitch. Just another side of the coin I guess.

The ATT deal was about GSM more than anything, which is a worldwide standard as opposed to CDMA. By starting with a GSM phone they had access to the VAST MAJORITY of the worlds cellular providers.

You are simply thinking too small on that one....was it annoying how long they waited to make a CDMA one? for lots of people, sure it was, hardly a hanging offense.
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:05 pm

You're straight wrong about Android. The Ap to Address book synching crap already exists for Facebook and a few other Aps, it's not some rape you of your privacy issue like you are acting like and isn't even in production on a Google level. Google gives Android away, it is an open source project. Their revenue stream from the OS comes from people using Android search. It's the same revenue stream as your web search. It's no big deal.

Say whatever you want, again, I don't really care. But Apple doesn't police their Ap store to protect customers, there are tons of examples of perfectly safe Aps that they just didn't like getting thrown out. Steve Jobs runs the IPhone like a police state, that is my entire issue with it. Android, being open source, is the exact opposite and I will forever take an open source project (one that invites development, scrutiny and transparency)every single day of the week over a sealed environment.

And again, AT&T doesn't even work in several major cities (SF for example). It was a major offense that Apple not only signed with a small scale infrastructure network, but that they then never did a single thing to correct it. Let them go for no CDMA, sure, but you don't live in one of the many places where your cell phone didn't even function and pre Android if you wanted a smartphone you were straight fucked.
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:07 pm

A couple of other things to consider if they're important to you, Mother:

* Expandable memory on the Droid (Incredible, at least, and the others too, I assume) with microSD cards
* I can change my own battery or keep a 2nd fully charged one to swap out with the Droid. The iPhone has no way to change out the battery on your own. Now Apple is changing the screws on the iPhones to make them unopenable/untamperable, as well. You'll have to pay them for any battery replacements.

Contrary to e0y's Evo problem with the battery life, the Incredible's battery life is pretty solid.
exiledbuckeye

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:17 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:You're straight wrong about Android. The Ap to Address book synching crap already exists for Facebook and a few other Aps, it's not some rape you of your privacy issue like you are acting like and isn't even in production on a Google level. Google gives Android away, it is an open source project. Their revenue stream from the OS comes from people using Android search. It's the same revenue stream as your web search. It's no big deal.

Say whatever you want, again, I don't really care. But Apple doesn't police their Ap store to protect customers, there are tons of examples of perfectly safe Aps that they just didn't like getting thrown out. Steve Jobs runs the IPhone like a police state, that is my entire issue with it. Android, being open source, is the exact opposite of a tech approach and I will forever take an open source project (one that invites development, scrutiny and transparency)every single day of the week over a sealed environment.

We agree on the very basics, there being great phone options, not one choice, and mother should read the appropriate reviews and do research to find whatever fits best, end of story there.

We obviously have very dif views of Google and Apple, its really not worth continuing here.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:25 pm

exiledbuckeye wrote:A couple of other things to consider if they're important to you, Mother:

* Expandable memory on the Droid (Incredible, at least, and the others too, I assume) with microSD cards
* I can change my own battery or keep a 2nd fully charged one to swap out with the Droid. The iPhone has no way to change out the battery on your own. Now Apple is changing the screws on the iPhones to make them unopenable/untamperable, as well. You'll have to pay them for any battery replacements.

Contrary to e0y's Evo problem with the battery life, the Incredible's battery life is pretty solid.

Well that was the whole point of asking what type of use he was going to get out of the phone.

I doubt using his description that he has a great need for more than 32 gigs of memory, a 2nd full Iphone 4 battery (last alot longer than the incredibles, which is longer than the Evos), or the need to open his phone up at all.

You would probably need to do alot of traveling, on airlines, to actually need 2 batteries.
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:29 pm

4G is a big drain on my battery. Since it isn't the universal standard yet running the 4G antenna and the 3G antenna on the hybrid phone at the same time crushes my battery.

That and I am a heavy phone internet user.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:54 pm

JCoz wrote:
exiledbuckeye wrote:A couple of other things to consider if they're important to you, Mother:

Well that was the whole point of asking what type of use he was going to get out of the phone.

I doubt using his description that he has a great need for more than 32 gigs of memory, a 2nd full Iphone 4 battery (last alot longer than the incredibles, which is longer than the Evos), or the need to open his phone up at all.

You would probably need to do alot of traveling, on airlines, to actually need 2 batteries.

True, I rarely use up my battery - but it depends on what I'm doing. Heavy internet/game use drains it. I used the GPS all day while hiking and had an extra battery to pop in for the drive home. What I really was pointing to was that when my battery starts to wear down and hold less of a charge, I can buy a new one on Amazon for $25, pop off the back cover and put it in, instead of sending it out to Apple for a $100 repair or having to buy a new phone.

One more reason for my choice of Android phones (certain ones, at least) over iPhone: Swype. http://swypeinc.com/product.html I don't think I could ever go back to a phone that doesn't have that, especially if you use e-mail or text a lot. The iPhone could easily have Swype if Jobs didn't kill every app that "replicates what the iPhone already does".

To each his own, I'm not getting defensive over one or the other. They're both great. I just happen to love my Droid and highly recommend it to those who don't know how good it is.
exiledbuckeye

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:02 pm

JOBS IS JUST PROTECTING THE USERS BY BLOCKING SWYPE!!!!!

Which is awesome, BTW.
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:06 pm

To each his own, I'm not getting defensive over one or the other. They're both great. I just happen to love my Droid and highly recommend it to those who don't know how good it is.

I agree and feel the same about my iphone.

and BTW, swype is awesome, and is actually the one, single, app that I want on my phone and can't get.

But that might be temporary, because I may go back to jailbreaking (hadn't since 2008) for 4.3 to add the mobile hotspot feature without paying ATT for the privilege (Carrier issue), so if I do, the next thing I'll be getting is swype (they are making an iphone app, which if its not going to make it to the app store, they will be in cydia)
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:08 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:JOBS IS JUST PROTECTING THE USERS BY BLOCKING SWYPE!!!!!

Lol. I meant the policy that an app has to do what it says it does more than anything eo.

Apples total policies are not perfect, I never said they were. Just IMO, better than the combination of Google+Handset maker+Carrier preferences.
JCoz

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:40 pm

God I hate tech phone nerds.

It's a fucking phone, not your life. So stfu about the stupid egotistical crap it can do for you. Just stick it right up your ass.......right up there.

If it can't open a beer bottle it's a worthless hunk of shit.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:55 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:God I hate tech phone nerds.

It's a fucking phone, not your life. So stfu about the stupid egotistical crap it can do for you. Just stick it right up your ass.......right up there.

If it can't open a beer bottle it's a worthless hunk of shit.

Yes, the world would be so much better full of pea-brained, wild turkey drinkin, bannana fingered, needle dick krauts running around in Lederhosen.
Last edited by JCoz on Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JCoz

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:59 pm

Wild Goose?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:01 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Wild Goose?

Goddammnit.

There, I fixed it.
JCoz

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:03 pm

Ahh much better. You may slander me, but let's leave the whiskey out of it.

I wonder what kind of phone Braxton Miller uses.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:04 pm

We all know you can't handle the real Turkey and drink the cheap knock off Wild Goose CDT.

Probably mix it with generic brand cola as well.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:15 pm

RC Cola.

The AT&T of cola.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself