Text Size

College Sports Arena

Dan's Recruiting Article

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Dan's Recruiting Article

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:07 am

Excellent job Dan, that pretty much catches anyone up 95% of the recruiting year and outlook for 2011.

Could have added one more paragraph though on the coaching search to replace hazel.

Word now is that its Stan Drayton, RB's coach for Florida.

Known as an excellent recruiter. That's pretty much all I can say for sure, I think any reactions based on the RB production in UF is extremely shallow analysis, which is the grumbings you get on message boards right now.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: Dan's Recruiting Article

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:24 am

Well they may want to sign a freaking WR coach soon, as Story said pretty much "I loved everything about my OSU visit, but uhm who is gonna coach me? Yeah, I'm tight with the UF WR coach and stuff."
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:36 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Well they may want to sign a freaking WR coach soon, as Story said pretty much "I loved everything about my OSU visit, but uhm who is gonna coach me? Yeah, I'm tight with the UF WR coach and stuff."

That isn't the latest.

I think Story is both OSU bound and knows who his WR coach is going to be (read:Drayton)
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:42 am

Well that is what the Scout recap of his visit quoted him as saying and that visit was a whole three days ago. And isn't he going to UF this weekend? If he cancels that he is 100% OSU bound, as long as he is going there it's all up in the air.

And I've read a bunch on Drayton, none of which has seemed all that concrete one way or another. I do think if they grab Drayton it'll be huge in grabbing Story, just would love to see them do it now that the magic date where then can finally sign a coach (the 23rd) has passed by.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:50 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Well that is what the Scout recap of his visit quoted him as saying and that visit was a whole three days ago. And isn't he going to UF this weekend? If he cancels that he is 100% OSU bound, as long as he is going there it's all up in the air.

And I've read a bunch on Drayton, none of which has seemed all that concrete one way or another. I do think if they grab Drayton it'll be huge in grabbing Story, just would love to see them do it now that the magic date where then can finally sign a coach (the 23rd) has passed by.

He just visited UF a week ago.
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:55 am

Ah, I'm backwards.

Thanks.

Either way what makes you so sure Drayton is signed?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:56 am

Since Urban Meyer stepped down as head coach of the Florida Gators, it's been no secret that four-star Brooksville (Fla.) Nature Coast wide out Ja'Juan Story has been anything but a solid commitment to UF.

Because of issues involving his cell phone, in a first for GatorBait.net, the entire interview was conducted via Facebook messages.

Four-star Ja'Juan Story
Story offered some detail about his visit.

"My player hosts were pretty much Jeff Driskel, Joshua Shaw and Ronald Powell. The highlight was getting to know the players and also going out with them. I laughed a lot around them, so that's always good."

When asked to rate the visit on a scale of 1-to-10, Story replied, "9 1/2 is my rating."

The 6-foot-3, 190-pound receiver talked about what the UF coaching staff had to say to him.

"The coaches were telling me how I would fit in and some special abilities about myself and why they want me to be a Gator. How its a great opportunity now."

At one point several weeks ago, it seemed just as likely that he wouldn't be part of the Gators' 2011 Signing Class as it did that he would.

However, after spending time with and then playing alongside future Gators such as Driskel and De'Ante Saunders during the Under Armour Bowl week and taking his official visit to Gainesville this past weekend, UF has strengthened their position considerably, but they still aren't completely out of the woods just yet.

"I would give the commitment level anything over half," replied Story when asked to put a percentage on his commitment status. "I'd say 80%."

Though his commitment is relatively firm, Story said that he still plans on officially visiting Ohio State this coming weekend.

According to Story, this week he expects to host coaches Will Muschamp and Aubrey Hill from Florida and the Offensive Coordinator from Ohio State on Friday.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:58 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Ah, I'm backwards.

Thanks.

Either way what makes you so sure Drayton is signed?

There is smoke all over about him and the bucks, and recently it was found that he was not returning to UF's staff, despite Muschamps decision to keep him on.
Last edited by JCoz on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:58 am

Word, that's what confused the hell out of me. Didn't Muschamp promote him?

Really weird thing to try and track.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:00 am

Also, FWIW, just about everyone was convinced that whoever Hazells replacement would be, he would not be of the "Caucasian persuasion", so this hire would also fit that bill.

That just part of the smoke, I'm not at all speaking to his abilities or claiming this is would be a affirmative action type of hire.
JCoz

Unread postby btm16 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:45 pm

nice article Dan, I have a quick question in regards to this part:

"Projected 2011 Starters:
On the inside, look for Andrew Sweat or Storm Klein to grab the starting spot, with Dorian Bell, Jonathan Newsome and Etienne Sabino competing for time on the outside."

Sabino obv. redshirted this past year, but I though he was going to be focusing on playing MLB in the future...any insights you could provide as to the switch back to outside would be great..
btm16

Favorite Player: Albert Belle
Least Favorite Player: Jonathan Papelbon

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:06 pm

Thanks, and welcome!

That may have been a wish or a guess as much as a projection. Nothing is cast in stone there. They did talk about using Sabino at MLB, and it could happen. Sweat is more versatile, and could play anywhere. I love Klein, and think he will end up being one of their best 2-3 linebackers, and so they'll want to start him...and the place for him to start is in the middle. I suppose that, like Homan, he could be a Will guy, but I think he has MLB instincts.

Sabino has been here three years and has yet to force his way onto the field. I guess I'm just in "show me" mode with him (after wrongly predicting he'd be a "breakout" player for the last two seasons) More than 50% of the time Heacock plays with 2 LB's and a Star back, so like Homan and Rolle, just 2 guys will get most of the action. Until I see it, I can't buy that Sabino will be one of them.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby btm16 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:14 am

from Doug Lesmerises twitter acct:

"Also, source confirms that Florida RB coach Stan Drayton, Cleveland native, will replace departed Darrell Hazell as Ohio State's WR coach"
9 minutes ago via TweetDeck

hopefully will all but seal the deal on getting Story out of FL
btm16

Favorite Player: Albert Belle
Least Favorite Player: Jonathan Papelbon

Unread postby pup » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:31 am

Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:53 pm

The Buckeye coverage on this site is excellent. Flat out excellent.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Return to College Sports Arena