Text Size

College Sports Arena

The First 2011 Top 25?

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

The First 2011 Top 25?

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:02 pm

I hesitate to start a whole new thread just to post a Dennis Dodd column...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... t-no-1/rss

...but what the hell.

He's got LSU at No. 1...then

2. Oklahoma
3. Oregon
4. Alabama
5. Stanford
6. OSU

I'm thinking that might be a bit high for the Buckeyes. They lose seven starters off the defense. No matter how deep they are, that's a problem.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Re: The First 2011 Top 25?

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:44 pm

danwismar wrote:I hesitate to start a whole new thread just to post a Dennis Dodd column...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... t-no-1/rss

...but what the hell.

He's got LSU at No. 1...then

2. Oklahoma
3. Oregon
4. Alabama
5. Stanford
6. OSU

I'm thinking that might be a bit high for the Buckeyes. They lose seven starters off the defense. No matter how deep they are, that's a problem.

And as of now the best remaining offensive players miss half the season.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Squints » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:32 pm

Dan- any word on the appeal process or when is it going to happen? I can see the suspensions being reduced to 2-3, but as it stands now, 6 is way to high.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:08 pm

Squints wrote:Dan- any word on the appeal process or when is it going to happen? I can see the suspensions being reduced to 2-3, but as it stands now, 6 is way to high.

It stands at five, and the very best to hope for is a reduction to three...more likely it will be to four if they get any reduction at all, from what I hear. The OSU application is filed as of this week. Here's Tim May in the Dispatch five days ago:

Ohio State formally announced that it will appeal the NCAA suspensions given to five players for selling Buckeyes memorabilia and/or accepting discounted tattoos.

No date has been set for hearing the appeal. An NCAA committee will then decide whether to reduce or eliminate the penalties, or leave them as is. The five players - Posey, quarterback Terrelle Pryor, running back Daniel Herron, offensive tackle Mike Adams and defensive end Solomon Thomas - were all suspended the first five games next season, their senior years.

Athletic director Gene Smith has said the basis of the appeal will be that Ohio State failed to adequately educate players on the rules.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby ramllov » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:12 am

The answer to the question regarding Ohio State and their ranking is - are they reloading or rebuilding. Some very high quality starters will miss a few games. They also will have a very good class of recruits this year. There is a chance they will get a few more top notch freshman.

The many underclassmen who did not declare for the 2010 draft this year will provide the necessary boost to carry the Buckeyes through the first few games that the suspended players miss.
I enjoy this stuff.
ramllov

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:43 pm

ramllov wrote:The answer to the question regarding Ohio State and their ranking is - are they reloading or rebuilding. Some very high quality starters will miss a few games. They also will have a very good class of recruits this year. There is a chance they will get a few more top notch freshman.

The many underclassmen who did not declare for the 2010 draft this year will provide the necessary boost to carry the Buckeyes through the first few games that the suspended players miss.

Well we are basically fine in every spot besides QB.

RB - Rod Smith may make 1 or 2 players transfer, that's about how good he is.

WR - Watch for Ty Williams

DE - Wells is set to return, he and bellamy are the most likely impact DE's IMO. EDIT: Forgot Fellows. He'll be in there.

LT - Haven't heard anything to indicate Hall will receive further punishment, so you could see one of Shugarts or Hall or Norwell at LT until Mike returns

QB - ??WTF :pb: ::doh:: :hic:
Last edited by JCoz on Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JCoz

Unread postby noles1 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:54 pm

Not sure I completely buy all this Rod Smith hype. Need to see the guy have a 10 yd. run before we are relagating Boom to 2nd string.

That said, OSU is a Top 10 team.

The omission on there that I have an issue with is Florida State. I really think they are poised for a really impressive season. The Oklahoma game at home early in the year is going to be the ultimate test but overall some favorable matchups. Also Manuel gives them some stability at QB and Fisher has really started to make an imprint on the roster and in the scheme.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:34 pm

QB will essentially be the main question for this year's spring game. I think the race will come down to Kenny Guiton versus Braxton for starting the first five games. Braxton being an early enrollee puts him squarely into the conversation.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby JCoz » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:38 am

noles1 wrote:Not sure I completely buy all this Rod Smith hype. Need to see the guy have a 10 yd. run before we are relagating Boom to 2nd string.

The omission on there that I have an issue with is Florida State. I really think they are poised for a really impressive season. The Oklahoma game at home early in the year is going to be the ultimate test but overall some favorable matchups. Also Manuel gives them some stability at QB and Fisher has really started to make an imprint on the roster and in the scheme.

I think you should buy the Rod Smith hype, but its perfectly cool of you wait to see yourself.

Either way the position is too stuffed, to not be forcing transfers soon enough.
JCoz

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:22 pm

I'm with you in the FSU camp, Noles. They are way ahead of the Canes on the comeback trail for sure. Great recruiting the last 2 or 3 years...especially this year...2011. Awesome class.

danwismar

Unread postby noles1 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:41 pm

JCoz wrote:
noles1 wrote:Not sure I completely buy all this Rod Smith hype. Need to see the guy have a 10 yd. run before we are relagating Boom to 2nd string.

I think you should buy the Rod Smith hype, but its perfectly cool of you wait to see yourself.

Either way the position is too stuffed, to not be forcing transfers soon enough.

Agree that transfers are coming at that position and if Smith is gonna get the carries that means the others will have to decide. Hall will have a spot on the team but you have to think between Hyde and Berry someone is going to blink.

As for Smith, I'm just from the Show-me State when it comes to RB's. Seen enough of em over the years to say it's one thing for a guy to be all world in practice, it's a competely other come Saturday's. Hope he's big time though, will help take a ton of pressure off the QB position. Plus Tress will be able to return to his old school ways for the first part of the year.

As an OSU fan, the biggest concern I have is that the Special Teams MUST get markedly better. That's a MUST.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby fairvis » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:57 pm

I think STs may have been a one-year anomaly. Breaking in that many guys on the special teams squads after losing the past aces to starters hurt, quite a bit. Hines and Rolle were always the aces, the guys who got the tackles and made the "wow" plays that last year's squad was really missing. Since the defensive backfield was just a train wreck due to injury, forcing more freshmen into service in the starting D, the ST units got a little bit worse. Especially with Sabino redshirting... the loss of a couple of dynamic playmakers that can shed blocks and slow the guy down can be really heartbreaking on a ST play, then you're one missed tackle (or uncalled block in the back) away from breaking it.

I'm ready for Basil to take over full K duties, and I think that he'll do a pretty good job as being the all-time kicker. We already know he has a leg. Buchanan definitely needs to improve... and Tressel will certainly be on him about that block.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:57 pm

fairvis wrote:Buchanan definitely needs to improve... and Tressel will certainly be on him about that block.

Buchanan had a horrible Sugar Bowl and a disappointing season overall, but I thought that block was (is) a schematic problem.

For some reason, sometime this season or last??, they went away from their 8-9 man line and 1 or 2 man safety-protect guys on the punt team, to this wide split 7-man line with three men back "protecting" the punter, which lets at least a couple of defenders get a running start and come in untouched, from who knows where...

You've got three guys back there, but they're not stacked two-high...and a guy launching himself over the top with a full head of steam, like the Arkansas guy did, has a very good shot to block any punt.

I'd like to see them go back to a tighter line set, where anyone coming untouched has to come from the outside, and one or two safety men will know where they're coming from.

danwismar

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:39 am

More Rod Smith hype.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/blog?name=feldman_bruce&id=6105396

Insider piece. Bruce Feldman ranks Smith as the best redshirt freshman this year. Compares him to Robert Smith.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Return to College Sports Arena