Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby jb » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:56 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:
jb wrote:Did the dude who used to be a Dogfish ever open that small mciro brew by the WSM & Gr8 Lakes?

Its coming JB, its coming.................

http://marketgardenbrewery.com/

Man, literally across the street from Gr8 Lakes.

To thik that corner was one you wanted to avoid by any means necesarry with all the freaks at that park which used to be a major inncer city bus stop when I was commuting to Ignatius is still mind blowing to me.

With market garden & bar cento there along w/ the WSM & Gr8 Lakes, there may be a huge opportunity for beer themed small B&B type hotel that serves a mean hang over breakfast menu IMhO. Be cool if it had a cooking class style kitchen (think Viking store in Legacy Village) that you could buy fresh ingridinets at the WSM, pick up a growler, and do a meal either yourself or chef for hire and them retire to a sesion at the breweries. Not friendly to get there from downtown after sunset, and you are getting to the point where out of towners may make it a desitnation.

Anyone want to get some venture capitalists together? :cheers:
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:36 pm

Last edited by Erie Warrior on Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:58 am

AND A GOOD DAY TO YOU SIR
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:38 am

2 oat sodas. Thanks Gary.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:03 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:2 oat sodas. Thanks Gary.

Couple buddies and I had an informal tasting of 5 Christmas Ales last Friday before I got the flu.

The Santa's Private Reserve and The Mad Elf are twistedly excellent.

Even the Goose Island Christmas Ale is tasty and the 12 Dogs of Christmas from Thirsty Dog is great.

But I'm saying it again, I'll put the fourth one we had, the GLB Xmas Ale, up with the best of them this year.

I'd rank 'em Mad Elf, Xmas Ale/12 Dogs, Santa's Private Reserve and then Goose Island.

Clearly dependent on hops v. malt and how much honey you care to taste.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:05 am

peeker643 wrote:The Santa's Private Reserve and The Mad Elf are twistedly excellent.

I had 5 beers Friday night. Woke up feeling like I drank a case. Lots of alcohol. Sneaky buzz.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:19 am

Tailgated at the Muni for the first time in my life and needed something to warm me up. A bomber of Goose Island Nightstalker I aged for 9 months + 4 x-mas ales later, I had a nice trip back home. Oh if you have a chance, find some of this and drink a lot of it:

"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby JCoz » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:42 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Image

Nice, been drinking the mad elf since it came out this season....

Haven't seen it posted (but didn't really look to hard, but is anyone else drinking that Blue Moon special brew "Grand Cru" 750ml?

Fucking fantastic IYAM. Really, it's spectacular for the style.

Wont find anything smoother and tastier at 8.2 either. If it was only cheaper....god damn this habit.

I'm finally getting into brewing myself here in the next 2 weeks...

I figure with the quality of materials available to the home brewer these days compared with years ago, once you love beer enough to allow yourself to spend 3-4-5 dollars or more per 12 oz (not in a bar), its time to test your skills in the arena.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:47 am

"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:32 pm

Abita Christmas Ale

"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby jb » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:17 am

X mas is over and the playoffs are upon us.

Who can hit me with a few good winter ale / lager / porter recommendations?

I favor non-spiced hoppy / malty sorts.

btw - bOUGHT A bELLS sAMPLER LAST WEEK AND WAS ACTUALLY QUITE DISAPPOINTED BY THEIR amber ale and brown ale an dtheir winter ale tasted like ass with cloves added.
jb

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:05 pm

jb wrote:X mas is over and the playoffs are upon us.

btw - bOUGHT A bELLS sAMPLER LAST WEEK AND WAS ACTUALLY QUITE DISAPPOINTED BY THEIR amber ale and brown ale an dtheir winter ale tasted like ass with cloves added.

You know I'd hit you with some knowledge.

Larry is a great guy, but Bells is one of the most overrated breweries in America IMO. As for good winter beers, heres a good place to start:

Winter Ales/Amber Ales/Barleywines - Avery Old Jubilation, Ithica Cascazilla, Stone Levitation, North Coast Old Stock Ale, Smuttynose Old Brown Dog, Brooklyn Monster (this years is great), Anything from JW Lees (though they are expensive), Victory Old Horizontal, Troegs Flying Mouflan

Porters/Stouts - GL Eddy Fitz, Founders Porter, Smuttynose Robust Porter, Sam Adams Cream Stout, New Holland The Poet Oatmeal Stout

Lagers/Other stuff - Ayinger Celebrator AKA My Avatar, Weihnenstaphern Korbinian, Paulaner Original Lager, Hofbrau Original, Stoudts Gold Lager

Personally, this time of year I lean towards darker, heavier stuff that is less appealing in the warmer months. Imperial stouts, dopplebocks, oatmeal stouts, big porters, barleywines, belgian quads/dark ales......

EDIT: If you want the best brown ale on earth, find some Hook and Ladder Backdraft Brown. Rouge Hazelnut Brown is fantastic as well, but leans towards the sweet side. Very much a dessert beer, but easy to drink.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:57 pm

Ricky, Ricky, Ricky, can't you see, sometimes your lists just hypnotize me.

Thx. looking fwd to a trip to vintage estates in Boardman to procure some of these.
jb

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:50 am

jb wrote:Ricky, Ricky, Ricky, can't you see, sometimes your lists just hypnotize me.

Thx. looking fwd to a trip to vintage estates in Boardman to procure some of these.

I've wanted to go there for years and haven't made it down yet. I got Chuck's in Chagrin Falls which is great, but a tad on the expensive side. Still, from time to time they have some ridiculously rare stuff.

BTW - if you have questions or are curious about some of the beers there or beers in general, PM or hit my cell. When I'm not working the job or the relationship, beer, and wine too lately, are things I can talk about for hours. Still haven't brewed my own, but I will be saving that for when I get a hosue.

BTW #2 - NEWS FOR ALL NORTHEAST OHIO BEER DRINKERS. SAM MCNULTY AND HIS GROUP HAVE TAKEN OVER ALL OPS AT WILLOUGHBY BREWING COMPANY. NEW BREWER, NEW LINES, NEW BEER, NEW EVERYTHING. FIRST BEER OUT IS A BLACK RYE. THEY WILL BE IN A PARTNERSHIP TO DISBRIBUTE TO 12 LOCALES IN NORTHEAST OHIO.

I got that 2nd BTW from my brother last night. Him and I are good friends with the gentleman who is the manager/beer rep for 1899 and Ballantine. Privy to all their special beers when they do beer tours and info that usually isn't public knowledge in regards to breweries and brews(they talk to brewmasters and distributors all over the country).
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:45 am

Just tell them not to take the Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls off the menu...damn those things are money.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:12 am

Ziner wrote:Just tell them not to take the Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls off the menu...damn those things are money.

Post of the year hands down. Been eating those '97 and they are as good now as they were then. My brother used to valet there and at Gavis during high school and would bring those things home once or twice a week. Voted best appatizer in Cleveland god knows how many times. Easy one of my favorite foods on earth.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:40 pm

I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:04 pm

jb wrote:Ricky, Ricky, Ricky, can't you see, sometimes your lists just hypnotize me.

I've wanted to go there for years and haven't made it down yet. I got Chuck's in Chagrin Falls which is great, but a tad on the expensive side. Still, from time to time they have some ridiculously rare stuff.

BTW - if you have questions or are curious about some of the beers there or beers in general, PM or hit my cell. When I'm not working the job or the relationship, beer, and wine too lately, are things I can talk about for hours. Still haven't brewed my own, but I will be saving that for when I get a hosue.

BTW #2 - NEWS FOR ALL NORTHEAST OHIO BEER DRINKERS. SAM MCNULTY AND HIS GROUP HAVE TAKEN OVER ALL OPS AT WILLOUGHBY BREWING COMPANY. NEW BREWER, NEW LINES, NEW BEER, NEW EVERYTHING. FIRST BEER OUT IS A BLACK RYE. THEY WILL BE IN A PARTNERSHIP TO DISBRIBUTE TO 12 LOCALES IN NORTHEAST OHIO.

I got that 2nd BTW from my brother last night. Him and I are good friends with the gentleman who is the manager/beer rep for 1899 and Ballantine. Privy to all their special beers when they do beer tours and info that usually isn't public knowledge in regards to breweries and brews(they talk to brewmasters and distributors all over the country).

I grew up in Willoughby and I can still stumble home to my parents house if necessary when out with friends. I'm friends with some of the group that run Oliver Twist and Nicklebys, so when I get over there we usually hit up WBC on our tour. I've always thought that their beers were good, but not great the way I consider GLBC to be.

Are the new beers already there is is the change just starting to happen? Is this a good think for WBC? What is your opinion of their old line?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:37 pm

Suck it.

Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:52 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Suck it.

Where you get that stuff. Like to try some of the German stuff.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:10 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Suck it.

Where you get that stuff. Like to try some of the German stuff.

A buddy of mine runs a liqour store that specializes in the hard to find. A make a call and slip him a few bucks and a couple weeks later I have cases of ice cold brew straight from the Honkey Motherland.

My advice is to check liqour stores, especially ones you would drive past most of the time. A quick look around and you might find some rare stuff.

A while back I found a little dumpy hood store that had 3 cases of Spaten Okotberfest just hanging out waitin' for me to show up.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:25 pm

You know I'd hit you with some knowledge.

Larry is a great guy, but Bells is one of the most overrated breweries in America IMO. As for good winter beers, heres a good place to start:

Winter Ales/Amber Ales/Barleywines - Avery Old Jubilation, Ithica Cascazilla, Stone Levitation, North Coast Old Stock Ale, Smuttynose Old Brown Dog, Brooklyn Monster (this years is great), Anything from JW Lees (though they are expensive), Victory Old Horizontal, Troegs Flying Mouflan

Porters/Stouts - GL Eddy Fitz, Founders Porter, Smuttynose Robust Porter, Sam Adams Cream Stout, New Holland The Poet Oatmeal Stout

Lagers/Other stuff - Ayinger Celebrator AKA My Avatar, Weihnenstaphern Korbinian, Paulaner Original Lager, Hofbrau Original, Stoudts Gold Lager

Personally, this time of year I lean towards darker, heavier stuff that is less appealing in the warmer months. Imperial stouts, dopplebocks, oatmeal stouts, big porters, barleywines, belgian quads/dark ales......

EDIT: If you want the best brown ale on earth, find some Hook and Ladder Backdraft Brown. Rouge Hazelnut Brown is fantastic as well, but leans towards the sweet side. Very much a dessert beer, but easy to drink.

You try the smuttynose baltic porter? Pretty solid IMO.
JCoz

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:06 pm

At the rate this group throws down beer, we might need one of these at the next Mother of All Tailgates....watcha think Swerb? :cheers:

http://www.grinonindustries.com/
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:14 pm

This is going to be a good weekend.

JCoz

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:38 pm

JCoz wrote:You try the smuttynose baltic porter? Pretty solid IMO.

Yep, had that when they first started shipping it to NEO in 2009. Very solid considering baltics are a rare breed. I've only had 2-3 other ones. Victory makes a baltic that is big on ABV and is on the sweeter side not unlike Sam Smiths Tadcaster. That stuff is over the top sweet.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:40 pm

You end up going there, and if so, what did you imbibe?
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby jb » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:30 pm

You end up going there, and if so, what did you imbibe?

No, went BW and stayed generic. Kinda lame, I admit. I am a fan of Noble Pils. What can I say?

If you ever intend to head down this way, PM me. They are expanding the tasting room again.

I did try a sampler case from a PA beer distributor called "Full Pint Brewery" out of North Versailles PA. Really good & fresh IPA & amber ale. Typically nasty overspiced winter ale though. Small batch craft of 5 local microbrewers in W PA, incl North Country brweing out of Slippery Rock.

http://www.northcountrybrewing.com/
jb

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:13 am

With the wind chill this morning being around '0', figured my fellow NEO'ans would like to keep themselves warm over the weekend. I highly suggest grabbing a bottle of Alesmith Speedway Stout. Best impy stout on the planet IMO. Had another magnum last night and its the same level of greatness each and every time.

RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:52 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:With the wind chill this morning being around '0', figured my fellow NEO'ans would like to keep themselves warm over the weekend. I highly suggest grabbing a bottle of Alesmith Speedway Stout. Best impy stout on the planet IMO. Had another magnum last night and its the same level of greatness each and every time.

I might see about that one tonight.

I don't think I'm much for doublebocks, too sweet for me. The Celebrator and Troeg-whatever were a little bit of a let down, but that's just my taste I guess.
JCoz

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:20 pm

Just found out a place in town has this stuff on tap, $9 for 8 oz. 13.7% ABV. Don't know if I can find it in bottles yet, but I gotta try it this weekend.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/live-oak-old-tree-hugger/67354/
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:11 pm

Probably just a couple tonight, couldn't find that imperial stout, Rick.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:15 pm

JCoz wrote:You try the smuttynose baltic porter? Pretty solid IMO.

Yep, had that when they first started shipping it to NEO in 2009. Very solid considering baltics are a rare breed. I've only had 2-3 other ones. Victory makes a baltic that is big on ABV and is on the sweeter side not unlike Sam Smiths Tadcaster. That stuff is over the top sweet.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/264/2758

This is a pretty damn good one, (it was on the far right of my big pic from last weekend) I didn't even know it was a baltic porter until I looked it up a week after drinking it the first time a couple weeks ago, so IMO it isn't nearly as thick as the SM version.

Try it out if you haven't.
JCoz

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:42 pm

Didnt know they sold Oskar Blues that far away. Sent RNE some Ten Fidy before xmas, Gubnas rocks. I love Oskar Blues beers, just get a wicked hangover from them.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:51 pm

Ziner wrote:Didnt know they sold Oskar Blues that far away. Sent RNE some Ten Fidy before xmas, Gubnas rocks. I love Oskar Blues beers, just get a wicked hangover from them.

Well, I haven't seen any under 8%, so..... that might have a little to do with it.

I just tried it for the first time last week, got some "old chub" it was pretty good.

Where is this from, Co, right?
JCoz

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:18 pm

JCoz wrote:
Ziner wrote:Didnt know they sold Oskar Blues that far away. Sent RNE some Ten Fidy before xmas, Gubnas rocks. I love Oskar Blues beers, just get a wicked hangover from them.

Well, I haven't seen any under 8%, so..... that might have a little to do with it.

I just tried it for the first time last week, got some "old chub" it was pretty good.

Where is this from, Co, right?

Dales Pale Ale and Mommas little yella pils might be their only one under 8%. Everything else is pretty heavy handed on the ABV, probably why most of them come in 4 packs

Yeah Lyons Colorado, about 30 miles north of me, last city on your way in to Rocky Mountain National Park. Really small town.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:20 pm

JCoz wrote:Image

Massively disappointed in the Vertical Epic.

Maybe its the style I don't like, just thought it tasted awful. In I way I'm not entirely sure how to describe.
JCoz

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:37 pm

JCoz wrote:

Maybe its the style I don't like, just thought it tasted awful. In I way I'm not entirely sure how to describe.

Coz, the brewers at Stone really mean it when they say the 10/10/10 is meant to be aged 2 years. Its brewed with a german grape and is absolutely meant to be cellared. This batch when opened new will have no where near the fermentation needed to showcase the depth of the ingredients. I have one aging right now and am determined to not touch it until winter 2012.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:01 pm

Looky what I just bought!!! Only $60 for the case, $5 a magnum!
IMG00003-20110122-1633.jpg
IMG00003-20110122-1633.jpg (159.03 KiB) Viewed 3433 times

IMG00007-20110122-1638.jpg
IMG00007-20110122-1638.jpg (143.12 KiB) Viewed 3433 times

IMG00004-20110122-1633.jpg
IMG00004-20110122-1633.jpg (117.05 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby JCoz » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:08 pm

JCoz wrote:

Coz, the brewers at Stone really mean it when they say the 10/10/10 is meant to be aged 2 years. Its brewed with a german grape and is absolutely meant to be cellared. This batch when opened new will have no where near the fermentation needed to showcase the depth of the ingredients. I have one aging right now and am determined to not touch it until winter 2012.

I realize that now, I was reading about it online after I posted and started seeing comments about aging, and then I saw that it is supposed to be aged.

I will grab one more, and stash it. Or talk my budding into it.

That Gubna, though was really freakin good, IMO, a notch above 90 min IPA IYAM. I just got back from the store a min ago, went back to grab a 4-pack after I drank that first one.

Gonna make another batch of stuffed mushrooms and chill tonight.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:09 pm

Good call Ziner, the Gubna was excellent enough that I went back to the store within 5 min of finishing the one I bought.
JCoz

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:26 am

No one drinking lately? Weak. Last week I cracked open a bottle of Southern Tier Choklat which I cellared for a year. Boozyness was gone, all that what left was pure chocolately greatness. Easily on of the most enjoyable drinking sessions I've ever had.

Get some.

RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:52 am

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:No one drinking lately? Weak. Last week I cracked open a bottle of Southern Tier Choklat which I cellared for a year. Boozyness was gone, all that what left was pure chocolately greatness. Easily on of the most enjoyable drinking sessions I've ever had.

Get some.

I've been drinking lately....been enjoying Dogfish Head's Raison D'Etre. Not sure what the local's opinion of Dogfish is, but the Raison hits me just right after I get the kids in bed. Think it sits around 8% ABV, and a few of them before bed does me good.
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:44 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:Looky what I just bought!!! Only $60 for the case, $5 a magnum!

[Edited to remove giant pictures of Corsendonk Christmas Ale meant to antagonize motherscratcher]

Damn RNE, I don't know how I missed this post. Yes I'm jealous. How was it this year?

I was just at Winking Lizard in Avon and they had this on tap.

First time I had it. Beer was good. Name is even better. I dug it.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:24 am

motherscratcher wrote:Damn RNE, I don't know how I missed this post. Yes I'm jealous. How was it this year?

I was just at Winking Lizard in Avon and they had this on tap.

First time I had it. Beer was good. Name is even better. I dug it.

Brother Thelonius is ok in my book. Not my favorite abbey double, but it has a unique spicyness to it that reminds me more of a belgian dark ale than a dubbel.

The Corsendonk is great this year. Pretty consistent compared to the past 2 years. It was my bday this weekend so my dad and I went to Save-On in mentor and had a shopping spree. Ill post a few pictures of my findings when I get home tonight. If you like Quads or Belgian Dark Ales, pick up a bottle of this stuff below. I think I might like it better than Trappist Rochefort 10 which is one of the highest rated beers on Beeradvocate. Its Goudon Carolus Cuvee Van de Keizer.

RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:16 pm

"There should not be chocolate in beer"- Jesus Christ
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:11 pm

Decent
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:49 pm

Just got back from Belgian beer fest this weekend!

Highlight was finding a brand new style of beers I had no idea even existed :Soul Ales, in particular, Flanders Red.

Rodenbach Vintage 2008 = Awesome.

EDIT: Photos were cut off a bit, but 140 begians on tap, 500 bottles available as well....was pretty awesome.

Tried alot of sour ales, My highlights were finding that Flanders red, and some dark Saisons, which were excellent IMO. Also, tried a winter spiced ale that was eerily similar to X-mas ale but not quite as sweet...I hold X-mas ale in high regard but dare I say that I liked this just a tad better....heresy I know.

Poster coming in

My wife (to left) and friend having a blast....dont know if I have one of myself..
JCoz

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:19 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:"There should not be chocolate in beer"- Jesus Christ

So much folly in this statement. There is proof that the Aztecs and Mayans, especially families with upward mobility, frequently used Cacoa in many of their fermented concoctions. They produced this by fermenting the pulp around the seeds which became a frothy, spicy substance not unlike beer. Ergo, Christ doesn't hold a candle to the folks occupying Puerto Escondido 3100 years ago.

Pacal >>>>> Christ.

Also, "There should not be giant, pizza loving Germans wandering Central Ohio."
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:51 am

JCoz wrote:Just got back from Belgian beer fest this weekend!

Highlight was finding a brand new style of beers I had no idea even existed :Soul Ales, in particular, Flanders Red.

Did you get to try any Lambics (blended or unblended), Gueuzes, or Biere de Garde?
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:50 am

JCoz wrote:Just got back from Belgian beer fest this weekend!

Did you get to try any Lambics (blended or unblended), Gueuzes, or Biere de Garde?

I tried one or two Lambics, and had before the festival, I enjoyed them but not nearly as much as the Flanders Red I tried this weekend.

No on the Gueuzes or Biere de Garde....I think Saisons, Winter Spiced Ales, and Sour Ales are what I drank mostly, although things get a little fuzzy at the end and I somehow lost my "scorecard" so to speak, so I can't be sure.

I was pretty pissed about that.
JCoz

PreviousNext

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry