Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

The Town

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

The Town

Unread postby swerb » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:46 pm

If you can stomach 2 hours and 5 minutes of Ben Affleck (in a self-directed film) playing a bank robber with an overdramatic Chowd accent ... pretty entertaining (if flawed) flick.

Affleck plays Doug McCray, who leads a crew of bank robbers in the Charlestown area of Boston, known for churning out a high number of bank robbers.

Crazy bomb diffuser guy (Jeremy Renner) from the Hurt Locker plays his bad ass buddy ... this dude is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors.

Just like another Affleck flick Pearl Harbor, theres a love story forced into the middle of this flick that just doesn't add anything to the movie.

Bank heist scenes are really good though. Worth seeing.

One of those flicks ... if it ends up in my top ten for 2010, prolly means its not a great year for films. But worth seeing. Fun little film.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: The Town

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:39 pm

Haven't seen it yet but I've heard good things.

I think Affleck gets a bad rap. First, he isn't the worst actor I've ever seen (his brother Casey is a lot better, though), it depends a lot on the material. Second, he's been in a lot of shit that I really like. And C, he's a good director. I thought Gone Baby Gone was excellent, and this one is getting good reviews.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby swerb » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:11 pm

He is good in this. The ensemble of sweatsuits, Celtics, and Bruins gear he dons is a little hard to handle though.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby dmiles » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:31 pm

Slightly reminiscent of Heat with a chowd accent? I enjoyed it in the munching popcorn at the movies sense, but felt I'd seen it before.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:05 pm

The line in the previews with Affleck saying "you get that through yer hawd!" makes me not give a shit about the movie. And the gun play looks retarded.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:00 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:The line in the previews with Affleck saying "you get that through yer hawd!" makes me not give a shit about the movie. And the gun play looks retarded.

Just finished watching it. Like you guys said, not bad. CDT, if you think the gunplay looks bad, you'll love the part where one of the guys gets shot twice at point blank range in his vest, and doesn't even flinch. Getting shot in your vest feels like nothing short of getting hit with a sledgehammer, but this guy shakes off two slugs from a .357 like raindrops.

But overall, a movie I'd watch again.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Loo » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:25 am

A lot of my friends loved this movie. I had the "ehh" reaction. It was alright...nothing more.

Couple of parts are just weird, and Ben's accent doesn't help.
mmm, this is, a tasty burger!
Loo

Favorite Player: Josh Willingham
Least Favorite Player: Josh Willingham

Unread postby fightdr » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:10 am

I thought it was pretty damn good.
Not great but one of the better movies I have seen in awhile.
fightdr

Favorite Player: Deion
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:47 am

I enjoyed the movie. Despite all the Sox/Celtics/Bruins gear, chowder, and questionable Boston accents. Top ten movie of the year? I say sure...
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:32 am

To unreal for my tastes. How a girl who was bank robbed, ends up spreading her legs for one of the robbers, who she hooks up with in a laundromat the day after the robbery, while the dude is there not doing laundry, left me scratching my head. Especially since he had a great deal of communication with her during the hold up. I almost felt insulted that the writer of the script, would believe I would fall for this as even remotely possible.

The Boston police force, make Roscoe and Enis look like Harry Callahan and Frank Bullit.

The part where He was drafted into the NHL, but couldn't skate backwards was an incredible stretch. This would be like saying I got drafted by the MLB, but couldn't catch high pops.

I thought the acting was great, which made the movie more disappointing to me. To see a cast of great actors, wasted on such a insulting script is a shame IMO.
WarAdmiral

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:47 pm

I'm still waiting for the answer to whose gonna run this town tonight?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby hiko » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:02 pm

swerb wrote:If you can stomach 2 hours and 5 minutes of Ben Affleck (in a self-directed film) playing a bank robber with an overdramatic Chowd accent ... pretty entertaining (if flawed) flick.

I can't.

I don't mind Affleck in smaller roles, but a movie starring him is just way too much Ben Affleck for me to want to watch it. He's not Keanu Reeves awful as an actor, but he's not as likable as Keanu either.

And since I've only watched about 10 movies that came out this year, I've got plenty of other stuff to watch first...
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture