Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Danny Graves just won't go away!

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Danny Graves just won't go away!

Unread postby consigliere » Thu May 18, 2006 3:27 pm

Like Freddy Krueger, Mike Myers and Jason Voorhies.....the nightmare continues as it just seems this org won't let him die.

Graves cleared waivers, and has been assigned to Buffalo. Oh joy. I guess Wedge even went as far to say the he really thinks Graves can get rolling again in Buffalo and get back up "here."
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Re: Danny Graves just won't go away!

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu May 18, 2006 3:38 pm

Consigliere wrote:Like Freddy Krueger, Mike Myers and Jason Voorhies.....the nightmare continues as it just seems this org won't let him die.

Graves cleared waivers, and has been assigned to Buffalo. Oh joy. I guess Wedge even went as far to say the he really thinks Graves can get rolling again in Buffalo and get back up "here."

I heard Washington (Jim Bowden) was interested, and actually, in RFK, he'd be better.

Wonder if maybe a trade could be coming?
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby consigliere » Thu May 18, 2006 4:00 pm

You'd think if Bowden wanted him he'd have just claimed him on waivers.......

Of course, in doing so, would have been required to add Graves to their roster. Maybe now that he cleared waivers and is a non-roster player a deal gets done if Bowden wants him to go to AAA.

Either way, Graves can't leave soon enough. With Mastny, Mujica, Choi, Howard, and Brown in Buffalo settling in nicely to their roles, I don't want some has-been like Graves taking up innings.
consigliere

as long as he isn't taking up innings

Unread postby ACrank » Fri May 19, 2006 11:19 am

i see no problem with it - i know the Bisons have a larger number of prospects then is usual for a AAA team, but out of the ten or eleven pitchers they are carrying they surely can't have ALL ten or eleven as prospects, can they? (Because if they did someone wouldn't be getting enough work anyhow.)

Let him get his work in. See if he can become productive and usable. The Karsay situation shows Shapiro isn't afraid to clear out pitchers who aren't going to help the Indians. I know its fun to hate Graves, but i see nothing wrong with this move at all.
ACrank
Admitted Apologist

Re: as long as he isn't taking up innings

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri May 19, 2006 11:21 am

ACrank wrote:i see no problem with it - i know the Bisons have a larger number of prospects then is usual for a AAA team, but out of the ten or eleven pitchers they are carrying they surely can't have ALL ten or eleven as prospects, can they? (Because if they did someone wouldn't be getting enough work anyhow.)

Let him get his work in. See if he can become productive and usable. The Karsay situation shows Shapiro isn't afraid to clear out pitchers who aren't going to help the Indians. I know its fun to hate Graves, but i see nothing wrong with this move at all.

Well put. As long as he accepted the assignment, there's not much downside to having him there. I doubt he'll really "block" anyone (they aren't going to hand him the closer role, but even if they did, it would only be Chris Nichting again). Maybe he'll learn a screwball or something.

As long as he's not in Cleveland, I don't mind Danny Graves at all.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

What if?

Unread postby ACrank » Fri May 19, 2006 11:25 am

What if Graves spends half a year or so at Buffalo and atcually, perish forbid, becomes productive? It happened to Howry - can lightning strike twice? (I know its highly unlikely - Graves didn't have that much of a fastball to begin with and lost speed off of what little he had, so please i am not expecting it to happen.)
ACrank
Admitted Apologist

Re: What if?

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri May 19, 2006 11:33 am

ACrank wrote:What if Graves spends half a year or so at Buffalo and atcually, perish forbid, becomes productive? It happened to Howry - can lightning strike twice? (I know its highly unlikely - Graves didn't have that much of a fastball to begin with and lost speed off of what little he had, so please i am not expecting it to happen.)

Although I expect he is toast, the good news is that he would have to pass up one of Cabrera, Betancourt, Carmona, or Davis to be valuable. It's not just that he has to become effective, he has to SURPASS one of these guys, and frankly, that'd be okay. Better is better. I happen to think these guys are pretty good, so Graves would have to be quite good, at which point, hey, he would be valuable by definition.

No, the danger is a rash of injuries where he only has to be better than Brian Slocum.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby consigliere » Fri May 19, 2006 12:25 pm

I agree he really doesn't hurt us being stashed away at Buffalo.

But, what does hurt us, is this apparent love affair the Indians have for him.....which means, if a need arises for us to dip into the Buffalo pool for a pitcher, who do you think they'll look at first? Graves.

I just want him to be gone. I don't want him to even be considered for a promotion to get back up here.
consigliere

Look at first? Maybe

Unread postby ACrank » Fri May 19, 2006 1:22 pm

but they would have to put Graves back on the roster to do that, and suddenly i think that means Graves has got to be a lot better than normal (whatever that is) to have him make it back to Cleveland....

no - i think if the makes it back to the majors its probably for some pitching hungry NL team

but then again thats what i was expecting when he was signed to begin with
ACrank
Admitted Apologist

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB