Text Size

College Sports Arena

Hey it's Kent. Maybe it's his major..

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Hey it's Kent. Maybe it's his major..

Unread postby Spin » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:32 pm

By Elton Alexander, The Plain Dealer

Kent State guard Carlton Guyton suspended after arrest

It was confirmed Sunday that Kent State guard Carlton Guyton has been suspended indefinitely from the basketball team after being charged last week with stealing a woman's car, according to Kent State sports information Director Alan Ashby.

Brimfield Township police arrested Guyton, 20, and charged him with felony theft. He is accused of taking the woman’s car Dec. 15 without her permission. He was later released on bond.

A preliminary hearing on the theft charge is scheduled for Thursday in Portage County. According to a published report in the Kent Record Courier, police are also investigating the woman’s allegation that she was sexually assaulted.

Guyton, a 6-4, junior guard is from Chicago. He is currently second on the team in scoring averaging 12.7 points per game. The next game for the KSU men's basketball team is Tuesday at Kent against rival Youngstown State.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Hey it's Kent. Maybe it's his major..

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:52 pm

Kent and Youngstown St. are rivals?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:42 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Kent and Youngstown St. are rivals?

Yes. Just like Cleveland and Akron.

I knew a guy who went to Kent state and he told me that when he was a kid he didn't like some kids from Youngstown. Huge rivalry.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby tribetalk » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:46 am

Youngstown State and Kent State are 40 minutes apart. Because of pettiness on the part of Kent State, they refuse to play Youngstown State in football anymore. Yes Kent is FBS and YSU is FCS, but YSU embarrassed the Flashes on a number of occasions on the playing field.

Kent is better than YSU in basketball, therefore they play every year.

I am going with my Penguins in this one.... BEAT KENT!
tribetalk

Favorite Player: Carlos Santana
Least Favorite Player: Lou Marson

Unread postby mikeperry » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:45 pm

I seem to remember Jim Tressell bringing his Penguins into Dix Stadium during the Jim Corrigall era and getting HUMBLED by the inept, pathetic Golden Flashes. OJ Santiago made a circuis catch to keep a late drive alive and the poor Penguins could do NOTHING but be fascinated and awed by Kent's dominance. Todd Goebell, Eugene Baker and Santiago made YSU their personal bitches that game...and Kent had nothing more to prove against the Penguins. It was one of about five games Corrigall won during his tenure. How pathetic is that? YSU is not on Kent's level in ANY sport, so go back to Youngstown, eat a Jay's hot dog and be quiet, Penguin-boy.
I love it...Kent-YSU smack. Never thought I would see the day.
Crush, Kill, Destroy!
-Phil Taylor
mikeperry

Favorite Player: Eric Davis
Least Favorite Player: PK Subban

Unread postby tribetalk » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:41 pm

'98: YSU won 24-10 at Kent.
'00: YSU won 26-20 at Kent.
'03: KSU won 16-13 at Kent.

Dominance? 1972 ring a bell. The last time Kent won a MAC title in football. That isn't dominance, that is misery.
tribetalk

Favorite Player: Carlos Santana
Least Favorite Player: Lou Marson

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:00 am

YSU did beat Kent the year the Flashes went to the Elite Eight:

http://www.alzad.com/news/2001/dec/16/penguins-upset-kent-75-70

YSU went 5-23 that season and finished last in the Horizon League. That actually might be one of the biggest college basketball upsets of the last decade, come to think of it.

BTW, I was at that Kent-YSU football game in 1996. That's actually the last KSU football game I've been to. Kent really did beat the piss out of the Penguins that night.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Loo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:22 am

Everybody from YSU says Kent is afraid to play them, and everyone from Cincy says OSU is afraid to play them.

Same old shit.
mmm, this is, a tasty burger!
Loo

Favorite Player: Josh Willingham
Least Favorite Player: Josh Willingham

Unread postby mikeperry » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:18 am

And everyone at YSU is there because they could not get into Kent. Same old...
Crush, Kill, Destroy!
-Phil Taylor
mikeperry

Unread postby Loo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:01 pm

What I love about idiots from other schools who don't do their homework is how people still try the old "Kent read, Kent write, Kent State" bit.

Kent State is one of only three accredited Journalism schools in the state (Ohio, Cincinnati being the other two--Ohio State dropped out a couple of years ago).

Kent State was also recently ranked in the top 200 universities in the world.

Then you add in all the athletic-academic awards being won in recent years and Kent State has broken the perception to anyone who actually knows what's going on--but then again, ignorance is bliss (and sometimes a choice) to many people.
Loo

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:14 pm

Loo wrote:What I love about idiots from other schools who don't do their homework is how people still try the old "Kent read, Kent write, Kent State" bit.

Kent State is one of only three accredited Journalism schools in the state (Ohio, Cincinnati being the other two--Ohio State dropped out a couple of years ago).

Then you add in all the athletic-academic awards being won in recent years and Kent State has broken the perception to anyone who actually knows what's going on--but then again, ignorance is bliss (and sometimes a choice) to many people.

Or it was a snide, tongue-in-cheek comment playfully demeaning a local/similar school that wasn't intended to be taken seriously given it's coming from an Akron supporter.

But whatever... ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Loo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:37 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Loo wrote:What I love about idiots from other schools who don't do their homework is how people still try the old "Kent read, Kent write, Kent State" bit.

Or it was a snide, tongue-in-cheek comment playfully demeaning a local/similar school that wasn't intended to be taken seriously given it's coming from an Akron supporter.

But whatever... ;-) ;) :wink:

No no, that was just in general--not to anyone specific.

Just because something is playful, doesn't mean it's not demeaning. Usually when someone is on the side of the one saying the snide remarks, they say "Oh it's just playful." Just depends which side you're on.

Sheesh I sound so damn gloomy and negative here. Must be a bad day.
Loo

Unread postby Spin » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:54 pm

Damn, I hope he doesn't take the whole "auto theft is a major at Kent" joke personally...

God knows Akron fans have endured our share of abuse the past couple years.
Spin

Unread postby Loo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:17 pm

Nah, it's just funny how when the actual academic numbers are brought up all anyone can do is try to change the subject or take the "whoa hey man it was just a joke" stance. :dead:

Ever since KSU brought down those two awards and the extra recognition a couple of months ago, Akon's taken on a quieter tune.
Loo

Unread postby Spin » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:53 pm

I know where Akron's College of Nursing ranks among the others in the area, and their having an Emergency Management program. that's all I'm worried about. I heard propaganda about polymer science and polymer engineering, public law school ratings, and a bunch of other shit that doesn't effect me. It had nothing to do with the school I chose.

Neither did the quality of the football program. Not that anyone in NEOhio could brag, except Mt U, which doesnt have either program...
Spin

Unread postby Loo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:59 pm

I came to Kent State for the excellence and tradition of the football program!

I only care about JMC at Kent.

I've heard fantastic things about Akron's law program, which happens to be my B plan. The irony that would ensue...Oh, the irony.
Loo

Unread postby mikeperry » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:10 pm

I am a product of the JMC program at Kent. In the nation, at least the last time I saw the rankings, the top journalism schools in the country were:
1. Arizona State
2. Kent State
3. Ohio University

I do know I learned quite a bit about my former chosen profession at Kent. And I do know the Lincoln Hackim Award (sports journalism award at the Kent State student paper) actually did mean something on my resume because the department is fairly competitive. However, there is no journalism school in the world that will get you prepared for the actual reality...that the field of journalism as a profession is a horrible place to be if you hope to have an actual family life, children, home, etc. I didn't learn in any of my classes that 60+ hours a week with no additional pay and/or appreciation from the bosses is pretty standard for a sportswriter. If anyone actually wants to go into this field PLEASE reconsider. Akron's law school sounds like a better plan to this guy. Take it from me, a person that has spent over 20 years in sports journalism...you want to do something else for a living.
Crush, Kill, Destroy!
-Phil Taylor
mikeperry

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:18 pm

mikeperry wrote:I am a product of the JMC program at Kent. In the nation, at least the last time I saw the rankings, the top journalism schools in the country were:
1. Arizona State
2. Kent State
3. Ohio University

I do know I learned quite a bit about my former chosen profession at Kent. And I do know the Lincoln Hackim Award (sports journalism award at the Kent State student paper) actually did mean something on my resume because the department is fairly competitive. However, there is no journalism school in the world that will get you prepared for the actual reality...that the field of journalism as a profession is a horrible place to be if you hope to have an actual family life, children, home, etc. I didn't learn in any of my classes that 60+ hours a week with no additional pay and/or appreciation from the bosses is pretty standard for a sportswriter. If anyone actually wants to go into this field PLEASE reconsider. Akron's law school sounds like a better plan to this guy. Take it from me, a person that has spent over 20 years in sports journalism...you want to do something else for a living.

I graduated with a degree in public relations (school of journalism) at BGSU in 1989. I was offered a really fine job with the Sun Newspapers for $14,000 per year or a job in the insurance industry for more than twice that.

And while I didn't major in finance or economics (and didn't even minor in either) I was still quite capable of making the choice for the higher income six months before getting married.

Mike is right: it's a shitty profession for all but the very top of the food chain unless you wanna go on and maybe teach it. I'd almost venture to say you're better off working in a different industry and starting a blog or website where you can flex your creative muscles and maybe strike lightning in a bottle.

Going into something else doesn't mean you can't write. It means you're not making shit to have to write.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Loo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:19 pm

mikeperry wrote:I am a product of the JMC program at Kent. In the nation, at least the last time I saw the rankings, the top journalism schools in the country were:
1. Arizona State
2. Kent State
3. Ohio University

Oh don't worry, I'm prepared for the reality. I truly enjoy writing--the fact I get paid, even how little, is almost a joke to me. Everything else I do for money seems so agonizingly dreadful I can't stand it.

Law is the only thing that has caught my eye. I've been extremely lucky and fortunate to come into a nice position recently (journalism), so that plan B seems to be farther in the distance.

With the job market and the eventual switch to online journalism (for local newspapers), I'm hoping I can time it right with my graduation in a couple years.
Loo

Unread postby mikeperry » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:40 pm

Loo, here is my advice. Take something in the field for a few years and make contacts. Introduce yourself to as many people as you can in the pressbox and do not be afraid to ask for advice from some of the guys that have been around for awhile. In 1989 I sat next to Bob Ryan in the pressbox at Municipal Stadium (up on the roof, very scary place) and talked with him the entire game. Asked him for a few pointers and dropped my card on him (this was before email was really used). When he came to town for a Celtics-Cavs game a few months later he saw me and sat down to eat with me in the media room. I knew if I had a question about something I could give him a call and he would reply. That's the key...get to know everyone. After a few years if you are still covering crappy high school football and answering phones you are in a dead-end situation. Also, learn design as well as you can. If you can paginate your odds of landing a job are a LOT better.

Good luck.
Crush, Kill, Destroy!
-Phil Taylor
mikeperry

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:59 pm

Kent's a good school.

I've been told by my neighbor, who's an akron grad., that Akron is just trying to over compensate by building all these nice new buildings down town. But it's all sizzle, but no steak
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Spin » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:10 am

The only thing Akron's building is parking decks because enrollment keeps climbing. At all three campuses.

There's rumors of older halls being replaced, but we'll see.
Spin

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:22 pm

Spin wrote:The only thing Akron's building is parking decks because enrollment keeps climbing. At all three campuses.

There's rumors of older halls being replaced, but we'll see.

ah, yes, another reason why I chose to attend Kent State, parking sucks at Akron.

plus, the regional campuses are quite good, I believe Akron only has one and it's all the way out in wayne?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Spin » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:17 pm

There's one in Wayne, one in Medina, classes in Millesburg and Brunswick, and a partnership with Lorain. Polsky is considered a separate campus, being a community college downtown it has a much different focus than main campus. They have distance learning in about a dozen high schools.

Parking's a lot better now with the Exchange St deck open. Last year was pretty hectic.
Spin

Unread postby Loo » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:31 pm

New year's resolution--smile more.

And speaking of Akron and KSU, both stand a very good chance at leading the pack in the MAC East.
Loo

Unread postby jb » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:11 pm

Spin wrote:Damn, I hope he doesn't take the whole "auto theft is a major at Kent" joke personally...

Ur a flippn idoiot Spin.

Auto stripping and parts selling is a major.

Auto theft is just a required class.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Spin » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:31 pm

Akron/Cant game one is tonight at 7pm on STO.

Both come in at 9-5 0-0 which I think is amazing as awful as Akron looked against CSU. Akron is 0-3 in televised games (translated, against teams that are worth a shit). Although they kept it within 10 of Top 20 Minnesota. Something the football team rarely managed.

So what's Kent's story? How did they get to 9-5. I haven't watched much basketball yet this year.
Spin

Unread postby Loo » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:56 am

Incredible game. Marshall stole the show down the stretch.

Spin--Kent State was off to a hot start, but have had troubles both on the perimeter and in the post as of late. On the outside, the loss of Guyton really hurts not only from a scoring standpoint but now Holt, Sherman and Porrini all have to play 36+ minutes every night. Inside, there are five new players (2 freshman, 3 jucos) vying for playing time at the power forward spot. Tonight, Henniger and Manns got the most time but that was more a product of defending Zeke/Cvet than anything. Manns and Nealy are the front runners to lock it up as the season goes along. Manns had it but fell into a slump and Nealy is returning from several knee surgeries.

Quite frankly, Akron caught Kent State at the right time. No Guyton for the time being, and KSU dropped into a shooting slump the past two games. That being said, the Zips don't look like they're at full potential either. If the shooters continue to heat up and Zeke can develop just a little bit more on both ends, that's a lot of firepower.

If Guyton returns, Kent State and Akron may be on a crash course to the reg. season title game in Kent and the top two seeds in the East, along with Ohio. That being said the East is very comparable, so who knows.
Loo

Unread postby Spin » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:51 am

That was a great game!!! It got me back into hoops.

Yeah it looked like Marshall's arrival, if he keeps bulking up and Euton keeps coming along and McKnight stays out of trouble we're going to have a heck of a front court. Looks like McKnees is finally on the same page as the coach, in his last year.

It was a great way to start the "real" season, and forget the title game and non-con disasters.
Spin

Unread postby Loo » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:35 am

Marla wrote a really nice piece on Zeke.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/113155634.html
Loo

Unread postby jb » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:09 pm

Loo wrote:Incredible game. Marshall stole the show down the stretch.

Spin--Kent State was off to a hot start, but have had troubles both on the perimeter and in the post as of late. On the outside, the loss of Guyton really hurts not only from a scoring standpoint but now Holt, Sherman and Porrini all have to play 36+ minutes every night.

Bigger challenge is they are now a team on brick masons.
jb

Unread postby Loo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:34 pm

Guyton passed a polygraph test, and all grand theft charges against him have been dropped.

He has been reinstated.
Loo

Unread postby jb » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:06 pm

Loo wrote:Guyton passed a polygraph test, and all grand theft charges against him have been dropped.

He has been reinstated.

Sweet. Did he do it on Wilkos ?
jb

Return to College Sports Arena