Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Woj has best be joking

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Woj has best be joking

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:09 am

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-bl ... harlo.html

The Cavaliers would use their trade exception to acquire Wallace, writes Wojnarowski, but the Bobcats also want a lottery-protected first-round pick for the Cavaliers to take on the two years and $22 million left on Wallace’s contract through the 2012-13 season, the source said.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Re: Woj has best be joking

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:40 am

Actually it's the Cavs who are asking for the first rounder. As of right now the pick wouldn't be lottery protected as the 'cats hold the 8th spot but...

**edit Looks like cleveland.com fixed their error

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AiRYZCvwAX3CHqZ34iv8HoW8vLYF?slug=aw-wallacebobcats011411

The Cavaliers would use their trade exception to acquire Wallace, but have also pushed for a lottery-protected first-round pick for them to take on the two years and $22 million left on Wallace’s contract through the 2012-13 season, the source said

If Charlotte is willing to do this, I say do it. Wallace won't be the centerpiece once the Cavs "contend' again. You can play Wallace for a month and then flip him to a contender at the deadline for draft picks and cash. His contract is not that bad and could land more in the rebuild.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:43 am

I think you screwed that up... we would get the lottery protected first round pick the way I read it.

The Cavaliers would use their trade exception to acquire Wallace, writes Wojnarowski, and the Cavs also want a lottery-protected first-round pick to take on the two years and $22 million left on Wallace’s contract through the 2012-13 season, the source said.

The Cavaliers would use their trade exception to acquire Wallace, but have also pushed for a lottery-protected first-round pick for them to take on the two years and $22 million left on Wallace’s contract through the 2012-13 season, the source said.

That trade exception is use it or lose it... So if the best we can get is a first rounder then shit, I dont know. It is Gilbert's cash, ain't like we are going anywhere for the term of that contract. Maybe we could spin Wallace off to someone else, or maybe there is another deal in place already with someone else.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:52 am

Meh, I can still think you can do better with the exception than a lotto-protected pick and an albatross.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:17 am

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Meh, I can still think you can do better with the exception than a lotto-protected pick and an albatross.

But if we can't do better it is better than letting it expire. I would think Wallace could have some value (if there is not already some deal in place) to someone down the line. He would be 30 during that last year of the contract.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby StewieG » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:22 am

I'm fine with the trade, especially if we turn him into another draft pick or young player. Realistically, that's probably as good as we can expect.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby jb » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:28 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Meh, I can still think you can do better with the exception than a lotto-protected pick and an albatross.

I've heard old sailors say thems good eatin'.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Might want to do some research on what Presti did with the Rashard exception. Two year bad contracts that can be flipped later and first round picks is the blueprint, plus Gilbert can pretend like we are trying to contend again. Works for me.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:12 pm

First piece of good news since we beat Boston
I'd do that in a second.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby StewieG » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:17 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Might want to do some research on what Presti did with the Rashard exception. Two year bad contracts that can be flipped later and first round picks is the blueprint, plus Gilbert can pretend like we are trying to contend again. Works for me.

This. You be awful for a couple years, pick up your star players with your own picks. Use the picks you get from moves like this to get your role players, complimentary pieces, and other starters. When the time is right, use your remaining cap room to trade for or sign another strong starter.

And above all, don't fuck up your own high picks.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:22 pm

Meanwhile, Wallace immediately becomes the best overall player on this roster IMO. The toughest too.

I'll eave the long term implications to people who know more than I do re: the NBA which is pretty much everyone.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:30 pm

peeker643 wrote:Meanwhile, Wallace immediately makes me less likely to light ny living room on fire to avoid my spot in the game recap rotation

Don't worry though peeks, with Scott coaching instead of Roker Crash will be unwatchable too!

This coach smak my end up my favorite dumb ass take ever, not gonna lie.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:12 pm

If you land Wallace, allow him to be a focus and increase his value, while also getting a pick that will probably wind up in the 8-13 region you do it. If Gilbert isn't blowing smoke about spending money to make the team better this seems to me a great move. You have a player that can be shopped right away, and next year is has just 1 year, and a PO left on his deal.

Gerald Wallace will not make this team mediocre, so I don' fear us hurting our own pick. DO IT.

btw I didn't read any responses before posting this, but I did see eye was the last reply b4 I hit send on this one...

:thumb up: :thumb up:
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby mikeperry » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:51 pm

I love this deal if we can get it. Would mean we have Wallace and two high picks next season...plus Miami's pick which will end up being in the 25-30 range. If I am correct we will also have a few 2's in the draft as well. I would shop Wallace, but unless something knocked my socks off I would be happy to keep him. He is tough and very talented. I could see next season rolling out Antawn, Wallace, Mo, Andy and a FA point guard. This is a lot better than what we have been throwing out there this year. Also, I think it is time to start shopping Hickson as well...either that or make him go to the Pete Newell Big Man Camp this off-season. Another thing, if you have someone you really think could turn the franchise around in the near future (Sullinger, for instance) you can move up and get him if you have three first-rounders. I do not see the downside of this deal.
Crush, Kill, Destroy!
-Phil Taylor
mikeperry

Favorite Player: Eric Davis
Least Favorite Player: PK Subban

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:54 pm

This deal isn't bad but since we're going to suck either way, shouldn't we be targeting a contract that teams REALLY want to get rid of (i.e. Elton Brand) with our trade exception and get more draft picks? I have to think Philly would give us two first rounders for taking Brand's deal. I say auction off that trade exception to whoever offers the most picks, I don't even care what contract we're taking on.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:26 am

^Brand has 2 years after this one at 17 and 18 million. He has much less value as a trade asset until that final year. You would have to be overwhelmed in a trade, and I don't see Philly doing that while they have a young team they will be trying to add pieces too.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA