Text Size

College Sports Arena

Brady Hoke It Is

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Brady Hoke It Is

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:19 pm

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
RT @schadjoe: Michigan AD Dave Brandon gets his Michigan Man, Brady Hoke

Good hire for them, IMO. Should get the rivalry back to a competitive level.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Brady Hoke It Is

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:52 pm

Damnit. I wanted Lester Munson Miles.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:47 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Damnit. I wanted Lester Munson Miles.

Given Miles' sense of timing and intelligence he's probably calling the Michigan AD now to ask about the job.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:54 pm

peeker643 wrote:

Given Miles' sense of timing and intelligence he's probably calling the Michigan AD now to ask about the job.

scUM: Les, we gave you an hour to decided. You said if you hadn't called us in an hour, your answer was no.

Les: When was that?

scUM: Yesterday.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:57 pm

gotribe31 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

scUM: Les, we gave you an hour to decided. You said if you hadn't called us in an hour, your answer was no.

Les: So what are we saying here? I'm the guy or what?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:04 pm

lol.

That was a great back and forth.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:25 pm

peeker643 wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

scUM: No Les. We hired Brady Hoke.

Les: The Patriots QB? That makes sense...he went there too. I guess its back to Mississippi State for me. Go Bears!
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:31 pm

gotribe31 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

scUM: No Les. We hired Brady Hoke.

Les: The Patriots QB? That makes sense...he went there too. I guess its back to Mississippi State for me. Go Bears!

scUM: Right...ummm...yeah....good luck with that Les.

Les: Thanks. And you guys need to let me know if that head coaching job comes open up there. I'd kill for that gig. Shit, gotta go. Forgot to pick my kids up from school.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:49 pm

http://sports.ap.org/college-football/story?id=pb5463235160e436f859a94d5b0933138

Brandon insisted Hoke was always Plan A. What about Miles or Jim Harbaugh, who left Stanford for the NFL's San Francisco 49ers?

"The job was never offered to them," Brandon said in an interview with The Associated Press. "We did have different discussions with them that were helpful and positive."

you fuuuuuuuuuckin liiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeee
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:19 pm

Well, he's probably bringing pro-style OC Al Borges with him by all accounts.

So where's Denard gonna go?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:23 pm

peeker643 wrote:So where's Denard gonna go?

Auburn will likely get some cap relief in the next few days, maybe they will be interested
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:36 pm

Ziner wrote:

Auburn will likely get some cap relief in the next few days, maybe they will be interested

;-) ;) :wink:

I know you jest but they do need a spread QB and Denard ain't staying in Michigan in a pro-style attack. Denard would have to adapt because Borges ain't. He's probably gone but sitting out a year won't be at the top of his list at Auburn or anywhere else.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:48 am

peeker643 wrote:
Ziner wrote:

;-) ;) :wink:

I know you jest but they do need a spread QB and Denard ain't staying in Michigan in a pro-style attack. Denard would have to adapt because Borges ain't. He's probably gone but sitting out a year won't be at the top of his list at Auburn or anywhere else.

If he's smart (which he probably isn't, he's at scUM after all) he'd just get it over with and move to tailback or to the slot. Which is his only chance of playing in the NFL. And if Tate becomes the QB, tailback is the way to go.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:37 pm

peeker643 wrote:I know you jest but they do need a spread QB and Denard ain't staying in Michigan in a pro-style attack. Denard would have to adapt because Borges ain't. He's probably gone but sitting out a year won't be at the top of his list at Auburn or anywhere else.

Auburn has a freshman coming in this fall that I just watched the other day in the Under Armour All-Star Game, and who looks like Newton clone, although not as tall. he's about 6' 2", 230....big, strong, fast, big arm. Name is Frazier...someone to watch out for for sure.

I have no idea what's on Denard's mind, but you'd think a smart coach would be able to find a role for an athlete that good, no matter what style of offense he's running.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:41 pm

danwismar wrote:
peeker643 wrote:I know you jest but they do need a spread QB and Denard ain't staying in Michigan in a pro-style attack. Denard would have to adapt because Borges ain't. He's probably gone but sitting out a year won't be at the top of his list at Auburn or anywhere else.

Auburn has a freshman coming in this fall that I just watched the other day in the Under Armour All-Star Game, and who looks like Newton clone, although not as tall. he's about 6' 2", 230....big, strong, fast, big arm. Name is Frazier...someone to watch out for for sure.

I have no idea what's on Denard's mind, but you'd think a smart coach would be able to find a role for an athlete that good, no matter what style of offense he's running.

Agree with you and Al as to the other position thing but if the kid has his heart set on QB (and I agree that might be the death knell for anything beyond college for him) it's just not gonna be at UM.

On Twitter it was noted Louisville and Clemson (now running spread) are potential landing places if QB is his final answer.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:50 pm

peeker643 wrote:Agree with you and Al as to the other position thing but if the kid has his heart set on QB (and I agree that might be the death knell for anything beyond college for him) it's just not gonna be at UM.

On Twitter it was noted Louisville and Clemson (now running spread) are potential landing places if QB is his final answer.

awesome, I still hold by that he'd be better suited on a West Virginia team though, but would great to see him play for the tigers.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:32 pm

So Forcier is gone and Robinson is likely next. Let's say Hoke is the man (despite finishing 3rd in the race). How long before his recruits and system are likely to produce an actual football team up there? 2-3 years given that UM will have no issue in regard to recruiting?

Does it happen with Hoke at all?

Is Chris Relf their guy for next season despite nearly being switched to receiver when he got there because he's not much of a QB?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:37 pm

peeker643 wrote:So Forcier is gone and Robinson is likely next. Let's say Hoke is the man (despite finishing 3rd in the race). How long before his recruits and system are likely to produce an actual football team up there? 2-3 years given that UM will have no issue in regard to recruiting?

Is Chris Relf their guy for next season despite nearly being switched to receiver when he got there because he's not much of a QB?

I've read in a few places that Devin Gardner is supposedly better than both Forcier and Robinson. But, if that's the case, why the hell hasn't he seen the field?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:43 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
peeker643 wrote:So Forcier is gone and Robinson is likely next. Let's say Hoke is the man (despite finishing 3rd in the race). How long before his recruits and system are likely to produce an actual football team up there? 2-3 years given that UM will have no issue in regard to recruiting?

I've read in a few places that Devin Gardner is supposedly better than both Forcier and Robinson. But, if that's the case, why the hell hasn't he seen the field?

Again though, he's the poster boy for the spread offense. Take a look from a recruiting piece on ESPN Insider a year or so ago:

Very unorthodox and at times not pretty. He is a fantastic prospect athletically and looks great on the hoof. Is the ideal fit for the spread offense and a short controlled passing game that plays off his threat as a runner. He is a gifted player with his legs and can improvise and create positive plays when things break down. Initial quickness and ability to take off out of the pocket is excellent. He can cut, shows burst changing directions and could develop into a dangerous read-option operator.

Does this mean they'll look to run a pro-style offense through him? Doesn't sound like it to me.

Gardner shows very good arm strength and when his feet are set he can drive the ball down field and shows very good RPM's on short and intermediate routes. He can fit the ball into tight spots and gets rid of the ball quickly for the most part. Has shown flashes of a very quick delivery when forced to dump the ball off in the face of the rush. However, for all his athleticism and arm strength, Gardner's mechanics need a lot of work. Fortunately he is blessed with height because he has a very low release point and is a side-arm passer that cradles the ball and tends to push it in his delivery. He must improve his overall footwork and set up as he rarely sets his feet and throws off his back foot way too much. This takes away from his arm strength and negatively affects his accuracy.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:21 pm

Doesn't Clemson have Tajj Boyd?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:23 pm

And I can't come up with anything good on Brady Hoke's name. Best I got is Lady Poke.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:30 am

peeker643 wrote:On Twitter it was noted Louisville and Clemson (now running spread) are potential landing places if QB is his final answer.

Louisville has Teddy Bridgewater coming in to play QB...he is an ex-Hurricane commit who changed his mind when Shannon got fired, and he looked like Denard II in the all-star game last weekend...unbelievable speed and quickness..decent arm. Not saying they wouldn't love to have Denard down there, but Bridgewater will be the man there, and he might be hard to dislodge after Denard sits out. He could be that good.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby jb » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:00 am

I like the hire. He's a cryer. Reminds me a little of Matt Farley, motivational speaker. Great contrast to stone faced JT.

This is gonna juice things back up.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:09 pm

I got a sixer of GL Christmas Ale that says Shoelaces stays at Michigan and Hoke finds a way to integrate him in the offense. He'll play the "your future in the NFL is not as a QB full time" card.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby jb » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:27 pm

Hoke comes from the other side of the ball.

Who knows if he has offenseive orthodoxy (besides probbaly being conservative s D coaches tend to be) .

Saw D Gardner in HS. He's not Henne or Navarre but he can probably play a multiple I QB
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:35 pm

jb wrote:Hoke comes from the other side of the ball.

Who knows if he has offenseive orthodoxy (besides probbaly being conservative s D coaches tend to be) .

Saw D Gardner in HS. He's not Henne or Navarre but he can probably play a multiple I QB

Hoke ain't the issue for the QBs. It's Borges who runs close to a WCO and whose coached guys like Tony Garaziani, Cade McNown and Jason Campbell to college success. Say what ya want about Campbell and McNown in the NFL but Borges turned them each into All Americans and 1st round picks.

He's not a spread guy. Can he turn Robinson into a tailback? I dunno. But he ain't gonna be Borges's first choice at QB, I'll tell ya that.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:43 pm

peeker643 wrote:

Hoke ain't the issue for the QBs. It's Borges who runs close to a WCO and whose coached guys like Tony Garaziani, Cade McNown and Jason Campbell to college success. Say what ya want about Campbell and McNown in the NFL but Borges turned them each into All Americans and 1st round picks.

He's not a spread guy. Can he turn Robinson into a tailback? I dunno. But he ain't gonna be Borges's first choice at QB, I'll tell ya that.

Slot receiver. Dude is electric and runs a legit 4.3 Hoke does everything he can to get him to stay, including lying his ass off about Robinson's NFL future.
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:52 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Slot receiver. Dude is electric and runs a legit 4.3 Hoke does everything he can to get him to stay, including lying his ass off about Robinson's NFL future.

He's fragile but okay.

All I was saying is if Robinson has his heart set on playing QB he'll have to do it somewhere else. If he's willing to play somewhere another position that's fine. I agree he's electric for the 12 plays a game he's not hurt.

OSU-Michigan, kid hurts his non-throwing hand and leaves the game. Not a fracture, not a surgical ligament, etc, it hurts. He's not even under center where it would be amplified. He says he can't go. That says all you need to hear about the guy IMO as QB.

They almost had to burn a redshirt year for one of their QBs in the Gator Bowl because of his fragility.

And Gardner Jb, again, is a spread QB.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby neoleo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:00 pm

peeker643 wrote:OSU-Michigan, kid hurts his non-throwing hand and leaves the game. Not a fracture, not a surgical ligament, etc, it hurts. He's not even under center where it would be amplified. He says he can't go. That says all you need to hear about the guy IMO as QB.

I agree 100 percent. I can't believe more wasn't made of this when it happened. That was the most pitiful, despicable, disgraceful thing I've ever seen in The Game. If that were an OSU QB, I would want him kicked off the team immediately.

That being said, he might be the best option at this point for um at QB because Forcier is gone and Gardner is also a spread QB. I'd rather have Denard's game-breaking ability (albeit for 12 plays a game) and experience over Gardner's inexperience. And I believe Gardner was hurt for a good portion of this season as well.

Hoke does have a history of catering his offense around his QB. At Ball State he went to a spread look with Nate Davis and rode him to a 12-0 season and a new job in San Diego.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby jb » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:33 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Mister Robinson. Paging Mr. Robinson on white courtesy telephone. There is a Mr. Breaston wanting to speak with you.

(Stevie Breatson was the absolute shizznit at option QB at Woody High in da burgh.)
jb

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:01 pm

jb wrote:I like the hire. He's a cryer. Reminds me a little of Matt Farley, motivational speaker.

He lives in a van down by the river?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:12 pm

neoleo wrote:Hoke does have a history of catering his offense around his QB. At Ball State he went to a spread look with Nate Davis and rode him to a 12-0 season and a new job in San Diego.

True. But Borges wasn't with him there.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:34 pm

Michigan coach Brady Hoke said quarterback Denard Robinson will remain with the Wolverines after meeting with the star sophomore the past two days.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6019721
mattvan1

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:41 pm

Link provided without comment.

http://www.qbforce.com/NEW2009/home.html
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:55 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Link provided without comment.

http://www.qbforce.com/NEW2009/home.html

Jesus Christ. It's the Clausen/Manning/ family without talent.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:41 am

Isn't that Brandi Farve in the middle of the photo?
mattvan1

Return to College Sports Arena