Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Now Reading?

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Re: Now Reading?

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:16 am

[quote="RickNashEquilibrium"]Great great read.

I may look this one up

He wrote a great book on the British Empire.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:54 am

British_Pharaoh wrote:I may look this one up

He wrote a great book on the British Empire.

Some folks disparaged this book because it was made to follow a TV series (a good one at that), but I didn't understand the hating. The book does touch on some things that require a fundamental understanding of finance and economics, but by no means made it confusing nor unreadable.

Personally, I find it to be one of if not the best treatise on the creation and evolution of our global economy ever put into print. Sure, Ferguson indulges on some personal views in relation to why banks/financiers drive change, but from a historical perspective, and tying into current affairs, it is ripe with details and provides the reader with a mindset as to how/why the greediest of all people continue to exploit a system with so many fundamental holes and non-transparency. That probably wasn't Ferguson's intention with the book, but the use of historical examples that might be out of some people's realm of knowledge ties to what is going on in our global economy today. Basically, the John Laws of the world are still around, but there is more structure in place to protect the exposed.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby JJN » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:59 am

JJN

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: David Stern

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:10 pm

Collection of short stories by assorted authors. Couple good ones so far.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby JJN » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:38 am

I love this time of year because I can tear through books.

Just finished:
Picking up:
JJN

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:40 am

"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:04 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:Image

I was supposed to read this book in my Russia Since 1801 class. I didn't. Let me know if it's actually any good.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:12 pm

Good quick read. Finished in a couple hours, gave a decent overview of the old buildings beginnings and finest moments.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby pup » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:03 am

For those who have read the The Girl With trilogy, I am a little over 25% through Dragon Tattoo. I am already anticipating the other two and am curious. Good enough to fire through all three in a row or split them up?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:58 pm

pup wrote:For those who have read the The Girl With trilogy, I am a little over 25% through Dragon Tattoo. I am already anticipating the other two and am curious. Good enough to fire through all three in a row or split them up?

I went straight from "Dragon Tattoo" to "Played with Fire". I had some trouble with Dragon Tattoo at the beginning - writing style, 10's of different characters, figuring out the personalities, plot development dragged at first (IMO), etc. Took me awhile to get hooked on "Tattoo". Not so with the second book - picks up almost right where the first one left off (a year later but gives you all of the required background) so this time around I'm into it from the first page, but only 100 pages in so far. Ticks along really well, where parts of the first book really dragged for me.

Not sure what I'll do at the end of this one, but I suspect I'll go straight to "Hornet's Nest"
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby pup » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:01 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
pup wrote:For those who have read the The Girl With trilogy, I am a little over 25% through Dragon Tattoo. I am already anticipating the other two and am curious. Good enough to fire through all three in a row or split them up?

I went straight from "Dragon Tattoo" to "Played with Fire". I had some trouble with Dragon Tattoo at the beginning - writing style, 10's of different characters, figuring out the personalities, plot development dragged at first (IMO), etc. Took me awhile to get hooked on "Tattoo". Not so with the second book - picks up almost right where the first one left off (a year later but gives you all of the required background) so this time around I'm into it from the first page, but only 100 pages in so far. Ticks along really well, where parts of the first book really dragged for me.

Not sure what I'll do at the end of this one, but I suspect I'll go straight to "Hornet's Nest"

Thought the same thing through the beginning of Tattoo. Had enough people not recommended it so highly, I may have punted.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:16 pm

Thought I would start embracing my heritage and learn about the most important event in the past 300 years of European history.

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:25 pm

My book on Lucius Cornelius Sulla came yesterday.

"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:40 pm

pup wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

Thought the same thing through the beginning of Tattoo. Had enough people not recommended it so highly, I may have punted.

Same here- The sample on Kindle didn't come close to pulling me in. But so many people here recommended it I gave it a shot. Got about halfway through from Christmas to New Year and haven't been able to read for a week or so. It picks up but it is not an immediately engaging read and it's difficult for me to build the back drop and landscapes in my head given the foreign setting.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:15 am

it's difficult for me to build the back drop and landscapes in my head given the foreign setting.

It's fucking Scandanavia. It's grey and bleak. Snow. Wind. Cold. It's like Ohio in the winter, only populated by the decendants of Vikings.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:40 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
it's difficult for me to build the back drop and landscapes in my head given the foreign setting.

It's fucking Scandanavia. It's grey and bleak. Snow. Wind. Cold. It's like Ohio in the winter, only populated by the decendants of Vikings.

Grey and bleak?

It is more more complex than that. Weather is generally mild and pleasant rather than bleak.
Norway enjoys a beautiful alpine tundra like climate.

Blue skies and stunning vistas.

Norway was voted the best country to live in, in the world.

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:09 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

Grey and bleak?

It is more more complex than that. Weather is generally mild and pleasant rather than bleak.

You don't know anything about Scandinavia CDT. Add it to pizza and the maturity level of Buckeye QBs.

;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Spin » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:46 pm

Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:03 am

peeker643 wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

Grey and bleak?

You don't know anything about Scandinavia CDT. Add it to pizza and the maturity level of Buckeye QBs.

;-) ;) :wink:

Fuck the both of you.

I've listened to enough Scandanavian metal to now their climate proper.

"Stunning vistas" HAH! Of what? Viking Raiders coming by sea to rape your family?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby JJN » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:28 pm

JJN

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:35 pm

peeker643 wrote:
pup wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

Same here- The sample on Kindle didn't come close to pulling me in. But so many people here recommended it I gave it a shot. Got about halfway through from Christmas to New Year and haven't been able to read for a week or so. It picks up but it is not an immediately engaging read and it's difficult for me to build the back drop and landscapes in my head given the foreign setting.

Echo everyone here. Finished Tattoo today and I'm 100 pages into Fire. Really rolling now.
bucknutz94

Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:50 am

British_Pharaoh wrote: Norway was voted the best country to live in, in the world.

Who voted?

I lived there.

It's not.
mattvan1

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:13 am

Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:28 am

Just finished the Millenium trilogy (Dragon Tattoo, Fire, Hornet's Nest) and it was great. Picked up the set a few days after Black Friday, so didn't take long to finish over 1500 pages. Read the 2nd book the fastest and it was probably my favorite but it might be because I saw the 1st Swedish movie before reading any of the books, so I knew what was coming in book 1. Now just need to watch the other 2 Swedish movies and hope Fincher doesn't screw up the American versions.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby hiko » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:14 pm

Reading this before the HBO series comes out...

hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:02 pm

^Awesome avatar.

Was on a Cleveland kick and read these two along with the book about Cleveland Sports venues. No matter what was done Cleveland would have declined, but becoming so large so fast created some of the issues that hastened the overall decline. Inept leadership brought the downfall of the city and county.

However now I am back on Rove's book, which just started getting readable. Got more into the W 2000-2006'ish and his battle with Patrick Fitzgerald. Decent book.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:20 am

^^^^^^^^^^

How long is "A concise history" ? Go alil somthin lik ethis?

Moses had nothin better to do in Connecticuit so he and some vets got on a few jank boats looking for a boys weekend at Put-In-Bay. Instead they landed near a swamp next to a crocked river. Probably through ineptitude. The owners and FO's of Clevelnad pro sports teams can trace their ancestry back to the original settlers.

In 1797, the lacross team of settlers had a 6 goal lead vs the Huron tribe team with 10 minutes before sun set. They manage to lose 7 - 6 as the winning goal is scored as the sun peeks beneihe the horizon. Their best lacross player jumps on the next wagon train west, saying he's taking his talents to Cali. Two other players swop wives.

It happened to be midway between the iron ore reserves in Minnesota and the coal to the southeast and on a major natural inter-modal route of waterways & later railways to the midwest and east when the modern steel recipe was invented.

A shitload of immigrants came cause there was a shitload of jobs. Some indutrialists made a big shitload of caysh.

The city exploaded. Then just when it was going into major US city mode to rival Chicago and Detroit, the Great Depression hit and cold-cocked all progress.

The immigrants kids went off to fight The Big One. So lots of African-Americans moved up from the south to keep the industry humming for the Arsenal of Democracy.

10 - 15 great years followed.

A shitload of malls get built. Ted Knight does Southgate USA commercials. Maple Heights? Isn't that like in Akron?

US heavy industry died. Society changed. Place went to shit.

Hair fire. River fire. Danny Green goes "boom" !Sohio. Pick n Pay. Fisher fazios. Giant Tiger. Uncle Bills. Higbees. May Co. Revco. Sterling LInder. Hallies. All close.

Half the people left. Michale Stanley still sells out Blossom every day for a decade. Jonah Koslin burns with envy. Jon Gorman stuffs ballot boxes. Art lies.

Half of the remaining half leaves. The other half would hve, but they were sleeping off their hang overs after 10 years of partying their asses off in the Flats. "Hey, was I that drunk, or were the Indians actually good for a while? "

It snows every day. Mike Polk sings it best.

1948. 1964. Never. Next title when :pigs:

------------------------------------------------

How'd I do OJ?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:31 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tough audience.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:12 pm

jb wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tough audience.

FWIW, I wept when I read it.
mattvan1

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:06 am

Pretty accurate with great artistic flare.
Orenthal

Unread postby hiko » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:55 pm

Orenthal wrote:Pretty accurate with great artistic flare.

I especially like the Billy Joel tribute.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:34 pm

Horribad
Orenthal

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:07 pm

The Mind-Body Prescription by John E Sarno.

Gonna fix myself if these medical personnel won't ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Loo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:22 pm

Last year I read "Odd Man Out" by Matt McCarthy. Loved it.

Just bought "Bullpen Gospels" by Dirk Hayhurst. Really looking forward to it.
mmm, this is, a tasty burger!
Loo

Favorite Player: Josh Willingham
Least Favorite Player: Josh Willingham

Unread postby JJN » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:14 am

JJN

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:17 pm

Orenthal

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:09 pm

That's a big read there, OJ. But Roman history, especially the Republic years, is a serious addiction for me. I still believe they are by far the greatest military power the world has ever seen.

This is what i'm near finishing.

Favorite line is quoting Cicero on Cato the Younger "Cato thinks he lives in Plato's Republic instead of Romulus' shithole."

I could discuss Cincinnatus, the Gracchi, Scipio, and Sulla all effin day.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:01 pm

Always had a casual interest in the Roman history. However after buying and reading The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius I started to get a bit more hardcore. Of course the Decline and Fall doesn't focus on the years of the Republic, more or less just enough information to understand the context of the current precedings.

Only about 300 of 1200 pages of this version. The meat is post the Antonines. Being Roman Emperor was usually followed up quickly by death. Want to hit up the Republic and Kingdom years after this, then the great Generals and politicians.
Orenthal

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:17 pm

The great thing about the Romans was alot of their best politicians were also generals. Killing two birds with one stone kinda thing.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:18 pm

I find pretty much all pre WWII history boring and useless aside from Roman history. Always planned to dive head first into it at some point as a hobby. Maybe this summer.

You know what sucks? Colonial and Revolutionary history. Boring dumbasses.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:38 pm

The shitty thing about reading about the Romans is their names. So many of them are really similar. There are about 7 Scipiones of importance just during the Second Punic War alone.

Plus they also divorced and married at a break neck speed. The poltical climate changes and half the Senate re-marries to assure new alliances.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:05 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Plus they also divorced and married at a break neck speed. The poltical climate changes and half the Senate re-marries to assure new alliances.

Like the Kennedys?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:10 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Plus they also divorced and married at a break neck speed. The poltical climate changes and half the Senate re-marries to assure new alliances.

Like the Kennedys?

Way cooler than Camelot. Would our Senate beat a guy to death with chair legs then throw his body in a river because they disagreed with him? Because that's what happened to Tiberius Gracchus.

If this happened in D.C. C-Span would be tops in the ratings.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:02 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Would our Senate beat a guy to death with chair legs then throw his body in a river because they disagreed with him?

Yes. If they knew there were no camera phones or media haunting them I think they would definitely resort to this.

And I agree politics would be much more interesting if they did. Not to mention easier to clean up if you could just kill people and throw them away.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:03 pm

Also a huge fan of Greek politics and such stuff. Read just about every dialogue by Plato. Agree on history after the sons of Constantine. Though I have been getting an itch to read up more on the East/Byzantine Empire.

Fucking 4th crusade is a good reason to hate on the Roman Catholics/Europeans/Franks.
Orenthal

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:36 pm

Orenthal wrote:Also a huge fan of Greek politics and such stuff. Read just about every dialogue by Plato. Agree on history after the sons of Constantine. Though I have been getting an itch to read up more on the East/Byzantine Empire.

Fucking 4th crusade is a good reason to hate on the Roman Catholics/Europeans/Franks.

OT but there is a really really good 3 part series on The founding of the Athenian Democracy on Netflix. It's PBS, but it's good...... and narrated by Liam Neeson.

Part of the Empires series. The Greeks: Crucible Of Civilization
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:44 am

One of the more detailed biographies regarding Lennon. The author goes in depth to Lennon's early childhood and family history that I had never heard before. Instead of showing Lennon as a peace and love hippie, he shows the conflicted child who could be either good or bad w/ a boatload of issues.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:54 pm

An incredible book from one of my favorite writers. It's about time someone called Kissinger what he really is.

Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby JJN » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:42 am

Agree or disagree with him, Hitch has a mastery of the English language that few can even dream of. His writing is a lot like a good cup of coffee: its an immense pleasure, fires up your brain, and is often filled with booze.
JJN

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:49 pm

JJN wrote:Agree or disagree with him, Hitch has a mastery of the English language that few can even dream of. His writing is a lot like a good cup of coffee: its an immense pleasure, fires up your brain, and is often filled with booze.

Exactly. He could write a a book on watching paint dry and it probably still be an interesting read. It's sad to think he probably wont be around much longer, very few people with stage 4 oesophageal cancer live 5 years. I know he's had to cancel his speaking engagements as of late.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

PreviousNext

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture