Text Size

The Neutral Zone

TCF Opinion on a college team...

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

TCF Opinion on a college team...

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:54 am

So, if you guys haven't been following college hockey, there are 58 teams currently in NCAA Division I. However, 57 of them are in a conference, and 1 is not. The CCHA denied entrance for my current school (well, the school that decided to let me in the PhD program after finishing my MS at Ohio State) last year, and this year, they've been an independent. The season so far is a disaster, they're 2-19-2. (More games tomorrow, and I've got a free trip to Nashville next week to watch them as well.)

This is my fifth year at the University of Alabama in Huntsville. They have a devoted fan base, but it's fairly small. Do you guys think it's worth it keeping a college program in the southeast? Penn State is planning on adding a college hockey program, and they're most likely going to get the 12th bid in the CCHA, since they're in the North and a bigger total sports school. UAH is a 25+ year old college program that's going to die unless people take notice. What do you guys think? Sacrifice the old program for a potential new one? Or keep the old guard that only has this one Division 1 program because the NCAA threw out Division II hockey years ago?
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Re: TCF Opinion on a college team...

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:40 pm

I think college hockey is an even harder sell in the south than pro hockey. Especially where college football and basketball completely dominate the landscape. The fact of the matter is that there are conference undertones from other sports to Penn State being the CCHA and it's well within reason that they go D-I and be a part of the CCHA.

It's a shame for Alabama-Huntsville without a doubt. But, it's completely logical and well within reason to move a college program to more of a hockey hotbed area.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Return to The Neutral Zone