Text Size

No Holds Barred

Thought this was interesting

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Thought this was interesting

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:50 pm

jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Thought this was interesting

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:01 pm

been over an hour and no replies... probably because no one is done reading it yet ;-) ;) :wink:

I am making my way through however...
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:03 pm

Ziner wrote:been over an hour and no replies... probably because no one is done reading it yet ;-) ;) :wink:

I am making my way through however...

yeah, its a commitment, but really interesting to think about.
jb

Unread postby jerryroche » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:04 pm

JB:

Very, very interesting article.

I don’t guess I envy the “global elite” for the money they’re making, as long as they allow me to live my life as I want. I’m not really into rich-man/poor-man/big-business/common-man class warfare. What scares me is that, domestically, I see our elected leaders as part of a “national elite” who are out of touch with me and Joe Blow.

Here’s a link to another great article depicting an alarming trend in the U.S.:
http://spectator.org/archives/2010/07/1 ... ss-and-the

Before the global elite can even think about adversely influencing our Constitutional guarantees, our own national elite must open the door to the their quest for power. If that ever happens, it will be the beginning of the end of our individual freedoms.

As U.S. citizens, we absolutely have to be vigilant in electing leaders that will keep their promise to uphold our unalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Unfortunately, over the past few decades, we haven’t done a very good job.

That threat from within is infinitely more scary than worrying about how much money the global elites are making, and how they are jet-setting between countries, and how much caviar they are eating, and how much fine wine they’re drinking.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby jb » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:31 pm

Things i found most interesting.....

Marx / Engels believed that it would be the proletariat that would bring down the prevailing political philosophy of nationalism. Ironically, it may be the capitalists. Nationalism may well be dead right now, nothing more than a quaint opiate scrapbook trotted out every other November for cynical use. No one seriously gives a fuck about American jobs. It is all about wealth accumulation. For the same reason rock stars date supermodels and a dog will likc its own...

I am now falling into Ziner's camp on financial regulatory reform as being too big for the US government. There is no too big to fail in reality. All here is would be too big to reign in.

Taken as individuals, these guys backgrounds and accomplishments are nothing short of stunning. I am awestruck. I am not class warring. This stuff now seems to be what it is.

You can make a comparison to how the new elite views themselves and the new elite of athletes. james had mch more in common with D wage and Chris Bosh than some random group of fans profiled in the "believeland" piece. Why would his thought process ever have been different? I definately see Pryor though this lens as well.
jb

Return to No Holds Barred