Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Cavs looking good for 250

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Cavs looking good for 250

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:56 am

That is... 250 combinations

worst team in the East, only a game and a half ahead of the Clips

I can't believe the exodus of 1 player, a player who barely played last season and an aging Center has put us from top of the basketball world, to the bottom.

I guess it just illustrates how much LeBron had to do on that court. I clearly over estimated the presence of Mo et al
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Re: Cavs looking good for 250

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:07 am

British_Pharaoh wrote:That is... 250 combinations

worst team in the East, only a game and a half ahead of the Clips

I can't believe the exodus of 1 player, a player who barely played last season and an aging Center has put us from top of the basketball world, to the bottom.

I guess it just illustrates how much LeBron had to do on that court. I clearly over estimated the presence of Mo et al

There was much talk on here last year about how Lebron was taking away from Mo's game. and there's a thread of truth to it is far as limiting some facets of his game, but in terms of winning basketball games, Lebron was perfect for Mo.

Mo is NOT a good natural point guard. He can't get the team into the offense and when he tries to force the set-up man issue, he forces things and commits turnovers. And the difference between a Mo turnover and a Lebron or a good point guard turnover is the fact Lebron or Rose could have a six turnover game, but they also contrinbuted to at leasst that many dunks, bunnies and wide open J's. Mo...really doesn't set-up people well for the amount of time he has the ball.

Fact of the matter is, Mo is helping a winning team doing what he did last year - hitting wide open looks. Lebron made the cat an all-star, he'll never sniff it again. By the way, if this wasn't true you wouldn't have every guy on the team shooting a worse percentage than last year, many by a significant margin.

Christ, with all they need - which is everything, point guard might be the most disturbing thing to watch. You've got Mo, Daniel Gibson is going to miss time in the second half because 1. He's got a deep bone bruise in his foot from constantly dribbling the ball off it or 2. He's going to get his nose broken from one of the 25 shots he gets rejected every week. Till then danny, keep chuckin' it in a crowd. And Sessions, as I mentioned a few weeks ago, the game just doesn't slow down for the guy.

Is there a roster in the association you wouldn't swap this wreck for?

Holy bad basketball.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:12 am

From the most wins in the league to the most losses in the league in less than half a season.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby papacass » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:15 am

All this losing to move up in a draft that is going to suck eggs. None of the top underclassmen are going to declare just in time for a lockout.

The "prize" of the 2011 draft might seriously be Kyle Singler. He's the top-rated senior. Everyone else has remaining eligibility or European club teams that they can retreat to if the NBA labor situation gets too hot to handle.

The good news is, the Cavs will still be picking really high in the 2012 draft, so they'll still have a shot at Perry Jones, Harrison Barnes and Jared Sullinger. And they'll have an extra year of scouting on them, too.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:14 pm

What happens in a lock out as far as 2012 draft position? Is there a chance that the NBA loses an entire season? If that's the case would they redraft in the same order or would they drop the ping pong balls again?

I'm assuming that the 2011 draft will go off according to plan. I don't see why it wouldn't.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby papacass » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:34 pm

motherscratcher wrote:What happens in a lock out as far as 2012 draft position? Is there a chance that the NBA loses an entire season? If that's the case would they redraft in the same order or would they drop the ping pong balls again?

I'm assuming that the 2011 draft will go off according to plan. I don't see why it wouldn't.

The lockout won't interfere with the '11 draft from the standpoint of actually having it, since any work stoppage would begin on or shortly after July 1, the beginning of the NBA's calendar year.

If they lost the whole 11-12 season, the NBA might have to take a page out of the NHL's book. The NHL held a modified lottery-style draft in 2005. Teams were assigned 1-3 lottery balls based on their playoff appearances and first overall picks over the previous three years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NHL_Entry_Draft

The Cavs' chances of getting a top three pick in 2012 would likely go way down if the season was cancelled. The draft playing field would be leveled somehow, so the same teams aren't getting the highest picks for a second consecutive draft.

So if we're assuming your average, par for the course Cleveland luck, the Cavs will win the '11 lottery and be forced to pick a guy that would have gone 10th in any other year. Then they'll pick 10th in 2012, when Jones, Sullinger and Barnes declare.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:42 pm

papacass wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:What happens in a lock out as far as 2012 draft position? Is there a chance that the NBA loses an entire season? If that's the case would they redraft in the same order or would they drop the ping pong balls again?

The lockout won't interfere with the '11 draft from the standpoint of actually having it, since any work stoppage would begin on or shortly after July 1, the beginning of the NBA's calendar year.

If they lost the whole 11-12 season, the NBA might have to take a page out of the NHL's book. The NHL held a modified lottery-style draft in 2005. Teams were assigned 1-3 lottery balls based on their playoff appearances and first overall picks over the previous three years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NHL_Entry_Draft

The Cavs' chances of getting a top three pick in 2012 would likely go way down if the season was cancelled. The draft playing field would be leveled somehow, so the same teams aren't getting the highest picks for a second consecutive draft.

So if we're assuming your average, par for the course Cleveland luck, the Cavs will win the '11 lottery and be forced to pick a guy that would have gone 10th in any other year. Then they'll pick 10th in 2012, when Jones, Sullinger and Barnes declare.

Sounds about right :pb:
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA