Text Size

College Sports Arena

Big 10 Bowl Games

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:02 pm

March down the field running the ball and then try to throw for 2. Idiotic.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14350
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:03 pm

skatingtripods wrote:March down the field running the ball and then try to throw for 2. Idiotic.

Agreed, although the guy was pretty much wide open, IMO a great play by the defender, but I would have run it like you.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:04 pm

Tank Carder's played the game of a lifetime tonight.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14350
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:06 pm

Badgers early FG and the missed one really are the difference right now, the first simply b/c of the early dropped pass, they looked poised to score a TD at that point.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:06 pm

lol

Whatever OSU fan who lost to Wisky and needs a W tonite to sleep well

Forget the fact the oddsmakers had TCU the fave...you guys are right and they were all wrong and thier billion $ casinos prove it...

...and no, I'm not talking about the same "Wiseguys"? that someone upthread spoke of who predicted the Gator players to lay down vs PSU ::doh::

Ya'll crack me up

Great game and props to TCU. That #43 kid could play on my team any day
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
User avatar
Fire Marshall Bill
 
Posts: 2691
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:00 pm
Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:08 pm

Why do you assume "we" don't credit for TCU for the win, they beat Wisconsin tonight, and I personally don't need a W from them to make me sleep well. Buckeyes were over rated this year, they proved it, so did Wiscy when they beat us.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:11 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:Whatever OSU fan who lost to Wisky and needs a W tonite to sleep well


Has nothing to do with it.

Forget the fact the oddsmakers had TCU the fave...you guys are right and they were all wrong and thier billion $ casinos prove it...


Oddsmakers also had Miami (FL) favored, along with Hawaii, West Virginia, SMU, Nebraska, Clemson, South Carolina, and Georgia. So what's your point?

...and no, I'm not talking about the same "Wiseguys"? that someone upthread spoke of who predicted the Gator players to lay down vs PSU ::doh::

Ya'll crack me up

Great game and props to TCU. That #43 kid could play on my team any day


Sorry, next time I'll copy and paste what I read about the PSU/UF game from a well-respected sharp on Chad Millman's blog.

Sometimes games don't work out the way the oddsmakers expect them to. The purpose of setting a line is not to predict the game's outcome. It's to balance the money on both sides as best as possible.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14350
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:45 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:lol

Whatever OSU fan who lost to Wisky and needs a W tonite to sleep well


Whatever to Auburn's bitch- ERR- Bama fan who had to settle for the Big Ten's second string in the Cap One Bowl.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
User avatar
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist
 
Posts: 4656
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:06 am
Location: Parma, OH
Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:08 pm

mattvan1 wrote:As much as I would like to crow about power football bitch slapping the Big 12, not sure how well the rest of the conference fares against the SEC/TCU


As I feared. What a buttfuck of a day for the Big 10. Ouch. No way to spin this abortion of a crapfest into a positive. No way.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3707
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:26 am

A few randoms;

TCU was favored in that game in part because coaching is part of the team. Brett Bielema? Please. TCU wins this game 7 of 10. Especially if there's a month off to prepare.

Christ Cousins was the most overrated player in the nation this year. Every announce/analysist talking about his "rebound" from last season. Did you they somehow miss the 9,000 dropped interceptions from this year.

God Bless Michigan, now officially LP's best "bet against" team in his gambling career. Remember a few weeks back when I wonderered if the lines were ever going to catch up, and they were so pathetic I was just going to bet against the rest of the season. One game, Purdue I believe, that was even in question in the second half. Greg Robinson forever. By the way, that line opened at MSU -6, and moved to -3. Is anyone watching the f'in games? Christ. 2-12 ATS. Fantastic!!

Gotta think they'll be talk of a coaching change at Georgia, but damn, I'm real interested in Aaron Murray.

The Patero thing is moving from funny to pathetic. I mean the jokes about him falling asleep still make me chuckle, but he's put Happy Valley on hold. Guy can't even hear.

One way the game has changed at the collegiate level, is you HAVE to be able to get some large chunks to score quickly at times. This is what seperates Wiscy from the elite ILO. Without this, against good competition, you REALLY have to be almost perfect. And they almost got thru the season with only one team biting them, but it's awful tough. Against well coached, disciplined teams with pretty equal talent....they're going to lose some games.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6626
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:28 am

Can I ramble on about something?

I truly believe this "Conference Pride" pissing contest perpetuated by ESPN and the media, is stupid.

Do I cheer on Big Ten teams in OC-games and Bowl Games? Yeah, but it really depends on the team or if I like the coach or their style of play. I hate Michigan, because frankly, I am supposed to hate them, same with IU, and I'm not really big on Brett Bielema at Wisky, dude comes off as a douche and don't dig the way he runs up the score.

But, it's stupid. SEC-Honk may have been a Tennessee Vols fan all his life, but he cheers for the Gators in the Nat'l title game because "it's good for the conference"? SCREW THAT, if the shoe was on the other foot, I would not be rooting on Michigan in any situation. And you're measuring it on the basis of one game? really? So, say, TOSU goes undefeated, whoops on USC, Pitt and Texas in the regular season, all of that doesn't matter because they lose to "x-SEC team", who probably scheduled a bunch of hack D-1-AA teams in the Sugar Bowl?

Which comes back to why a playoff could fix all of this, because much like in March Madness, I believe "Who has the best conference" talk would matter less and less. I mean, do you see, when that times come around, some random guy who's a Florida St. fan rant on about how great the ACC is, because of UNC and Duke?

TCU, Utah (X2), Boise St. all have proved that what conference you're in, it really shouldn't matter, individual teams do.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.


Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
User avatar
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories
 
Posts: 6380
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:26 pm
Location: Kent-Green, Ohio
Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:59 am

mattvan1 wrote:As I feared. What a buttfuck of a day for the Big 10. Ouch. No way to spin this abortion of a crapfest into a positive. No way.


Why should we care about what the rest of the Big Ten does as long as Ohio State handles its business? It doesn't matter. Ohio State will play for the MNC every time it goes undefeated, will get a BCS bid every time it goes 10-2 or 11-1, irregardless of what the rest of the conference does.

Big Ten is 3-5? Doesn't concern me. All that concerns me is that Ohio State goes 1-0. If Michigan and Michigan State pisses down their leg it's their problem, not ours.

I don't root for the Steelers and Rats in the playoffs because they're in the same division as the Browns. Why should college football be any different?
User avatar
hermanfontenot
History Buff
 
Posts: 4117
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:52 am
Location: NE Ohio
Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:19 am

hermanfontenot wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:As I feared. What a buttfuck of a day for the Big 10. Ouch. No way to spin this abortion of a crapfest into a positive. No way.


Why should we care about what the rest of the Big Ten does as long as Ohio State handles its business? It doesn't matter. Ohio State will play for the MNC every time it goes undefeated, will get a BCS bid every time it goes 10-2 or 11-1, irregardless of what the rest of the conference does.

Big Ten is 3-5? Doesn't concern me. All that concerns me is that Ohio State goes 1-0. If Michigan and Michigan State pisses down their leg it's their problem, not ours.

I don't root for the Steelers and Rats in the playoffs because they're in the same division as the Browns. Why should college football be any different?


preach on brother, preach on.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.


Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
User avatar
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories
 
Posts: 6380
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:26 pm
Location: Kent-Green, Ohio
Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby pup » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:36 am

Dear Big 10,

Tell us how our ass tastes.

Regards,

Everyone but the French 12
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby JoJo White » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:24 am

Legends and Leaders FTW!

And if only the Big 12 could play defense like they do in the Big 10...
User avatar
JoJo White
 
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:42 pm
Location: Intently listening to your fantasy football story
Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:46 am

hermanfontenot wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:As I feared. What a buttfuck of a day for the Big 10. Ouch. No way to spin this abortion of a crapfest into a positive. No way.


Why should we care about what the rest of the Big Ten does as long as Ohio State handles its business? It doesn't matter. Ohio State will play for the MNC every time it goes undefeated, will get a BCS bid every time it goes 10-2 or 11-1, irregardless of what the rest of the conference does.

Big Ten is 3-5? Doesn't concern me. All that concerns me is that Ohio State goes 1-0. If Michigan and Michigan State pisses down their leg it's their problem, not ours.

I don't root for the Steelers and Rats in the playoffs because they're in the same division as the Browns. Why should college football be any different?


Apples vs. Oranges. The NFL Championship is determined on the field, not in the media. I want the Big 10 to do well because the perceived strength of the conference is a factor, and I would think a large one, in how OSU is viewed nationally and how they are ranked. Hell, Dr. Gordon Gee feels the same way, or have you forgotten his little tirade - "it's like murderer's row every week for these schools. We do not play the Little Sisters of the Poor. We play very fine schools on any given day. " Not really, Doc. At least not this year.

Why did Boise State not get enough respect - because they were a good team from a crap conference who didn't play anybody. I'd rather not have to go down that road with the Bucks.

There is is also another reason - an on the field one that may be more important. If and when OSU gets back to a National Championship game, I would hope they will have been tested against stiff competition - and be prepared to play an elite team. Sleepwalking through 80% of your schedule does nothing to get a team ready to play in a bowl game let alone the NC.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3707
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby googleeph2 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:26 pm

Ooh, piling on. That was unexpected.
Doesn't bother me either, although it was sure nice and quiet this time last year when the children went to bed.

Responding to several points above:

1) When Wisc was driving down the field by running the ball, I was yelling, "Keep running it. Don't get cute." Shoot, the announcers were anticipating the Wisc line wearing down the D all game. When they dropped back for the conversion, you could easily see the TE wide open but I half appreciated the ball getting swatted away. They deserved that for not running again. I would have enjoyed the storyline of the traditional Big 10 power game winning the Rose Bowl in 2011, too.

2) I do want the Big-10 to be strong- not to keep the pups and JoJos from hurting my tender feelings, but to help keep The Ohio State University football team strong. They need a better conference test every year.

3) A national playoff might soften the conference smack, but I think too many non-Big 10 fans are envious of them for whatever reasons (money, attention, size). They won't give that up. And yes, it is media-driven. Southern pride factors into the equation to some extent, too. ***

4) I think that eventually the pro-playoff sentiment will be moot. The power conferences will keep consolidating until there are only a handful remaining- and each will have their own playoff. At some point, perhaps a 4-school playoff among the power conferences will be all that's left to play to determine an undisputed champ. So 3 games, and it wouldn't be 'mythical' any more. (And for those who lament the viability of the mid-major football schools if a playoff is instituted, they will fade further from the national stage with the conferences merging anyway.)

Also, it's been covered but I like to repeat: What a nice group of northern Ohio head coaches at the college level.
Tressel
Zook
Pelini
Meyer
Stoops
Who'd I forget?


*** EDIT- by the way, they don't like it when you call their conference the "Ass-Ay-Say". Not that I'm warning you not to. ha
User avatar
googleeph2
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:40 am
Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:31 pm

Gotta go with herm here. Conference toughness in the voter's eyes is legit but also a little overrated. If you are in an auto-qualifier and you take care of business you are going to be there, especially having a conference title game in your back pocket. I like seeing the SEC win and all, but watching Miss St wax Michigan won't make my lunch taste any better if A&M beats LSU. Just not happening for me.


*** EDIT- by the way, they don't like it when you call their conference the "Ass-Ay-Say". Not that I'm warning you not to. ha


Image
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
User avatar
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:47 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:44 pm

JoJo White wrote:Legends and Leaders FTW!

And if only the Big 12 could play defense like they do in the Big 10...


Ouch!
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
User avatar
Fire Marshall Bill
 
Posts: 2691
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:00 pm
Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:45 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill wrote:lol

Whatever OSU fan who lost to Wisky and needs a W tonite to sleep well


Whatever to Auburn's bitch- ERR- Bama fan who had to settle for the Big Ten's second string in the Cap One Bowl.


Huh?
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
User avatar
Fire Marshall Bill
 
Posts: 2691
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:00 pm
Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:53 pm

FUDU wrote:Why do you assume "we" don't credit for TCU for the win, they beat Wisconsin tonight, and I personally don't need a W from them to make me sleep well. Buckeyes were over rated this year, they proved it, so did Wiscy when they beat us.


Because the whole freaking game not a one of you was giving credit to TCU for the multitude of plays and head cracking hits they delivered on D and esp for the times they planted the Wisky QB like fucking Daffodil

It was fitting the game ended on a pass delfelction by a DL as it was a DL pass deflection that kept TCU from garnering a first down on the prior series and Wisc would never have touched the ball again. Some criticize the play call but, the revrs WAS wide open, just like TCU's prior possession

All ya'll did was criticize Whisky for not running over under around and through a team not a one of ya has likely watched all season and their smashmouth D after that first play from Wisky shoulda clued ya's in that this was not going to be the bloodbath so many of you predicted and/or assumed it would be

Absofuckinglootley a great game! for college foorball

Crunch time..... and Cinderella gutted up vs "The Hottest" team in the country
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
User avatar
Fire Marshall Bill
 
Posts: 2691
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:00 pm
Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby googleeph2 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:59 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote: it was a DL pass deflection that kept TCU from garnering a first down on the prior series and Wisc would never have touched the ball again


True.


Fire Marshall Bill wrote: All ya'll did was criticize Whisky for not running over under around and through a team not a one of ya has likely watched all season


Right- never did watch TCU all year. Did they play their very best game of the year?

But it's a legit criticism that Wisc should have run the ball on the conversion.
User avatar
googleeph2
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:40 am
Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:01 pm

...traditional Big 10 power game winning the Rose Bowl in 2011.....

Fallacy ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
User avatar
Fire Marshall Bill
 
Posts: 2691
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:00 pm
Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby googleeph2 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:03 pm

Oops, you lost a little credibility there.
User avatar
googleeph2
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:40 am
Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:25 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:Gotta go with herm here. Conference toughness in the voter's eyes is legit but also a little overrated. If you are in an auto-qualifier and you take care of business you are going to be there, especially having a conference title game in your back pocket. I like seeing the SEC win and all, but watching Miss St wax Michigan won't make my lunch taste any better if A&M beats LSU. Just not happening for me.


Easy to say when your team plays in the SEC. Let's not take this too far out of context - never wrote that it doesn't matter what OSU does - but I would like to see a better showing by the Big 10 in a risng tide lifts all boats type of thing.

According to the POV by you and Herm, you'd be OK with LSU and OSU in a shit conference like the Big East as long as that conference has AQ status? UConn looked lost last night against a pretty average Oklahoma team. One because they suck, and two because Oklahoma was by far far far the best team UConn has seen all year. Maybe ever.

I want a stronger Big 10. One way to measure that strength is by how well your conference plays in post season bowls. I understand that it doesn't matter to everyone, but the only way OSU wins another NC is by being tested throughout the season, not sleepwalking through the conference schedule and then beating a crappy Michigan at the end of the year.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3707
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby dmiles » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:11 pm

When Utah was matched up against Bama a couple years back they didn't curl up in the fetal position. UConn put up a better fight against a vastly more talented team. I confess to not watching most of the Michigan game, but McLovin was flat out an embarrassment. I didn't think there was a major D1 QB worse than Brantley but I was proven wrong once again.

It's really to the point that rooting for the conference is futile and left a really bad taste in the mouth yesterday. Been said here many times but the coaching in the B10 is a real problem, and frankly I just don't know if I care. Suspensions or not the Buckeyes have to get up for the Wisky game next year to get to the B10 title game no matter what happens the first 5.
On Twitter @DaBashers
User avatar
dmiles
 
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:36 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:51 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
Bayou Tribe wrote:Gotta go with herm here. Conference toughness in the voter's eyes is legit but also a little overrated. If you are in an auto-qualifier and you take care of business you are going to be there, especially having a conference title game in your back pocket. I like seeing the SEC win and all, but watching Miss St wax Michigan won't make my lunch taste any better if A&M beats LSU. Just not happening for me.


Easy to say when your team plays in the SEC. Let's not take this too far out of context - never wrote that it doesn't matter what OSU does - but I would like to see a better showing by the Big 10 in a risng tide lifts all boats type of thing.

According to the POV by you and Herm, you'd be OK with LSU and OSU in a shit conference like the Big East as long as that conference has AQ status? UConn looked lost last night against a pretty average Oklahoma team. One because they suck, and two because Oklahoma was by far far far the best team UConn has seen all year. Maybe ever.

I want a stronger Big 10. One way to measure that strength is by how well your conference plays in post season bowls. I understand that it doesn't matter to everyone, but the only way OSU wins another NC is by being tested throughout the season, not sleepwalking through the conference schedule and then beating a crappy Michigan at the end of the year.



I hear you, and I definitely understand your want for a stronger conference in terms of pride, but I wonder if UConn/Big East is the rule or the exception? ACC is terrible, but Florida St still came out and flexed their muscle against an almight, big and bad SEC team. And I really do believe that Va Tech will play well and beat Stanford tomorrow night also. I think your point is valid, I really do, I'm just not sure if I feel the same way.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
User avatar
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:47 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:19 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote: I hear you, and I definitely understand your want for a stronger conference in terms of pride, but I wonder if UConn/Big East is the rule or the exception? ACC is terrible, but Florida St still came out and flexed their muscle against an almight, big and bad SEC team. And I really do believe that Va Tech will play well and beat Stanford tomorrow night also. I think your point is valid, I really do, I'm just not sure if I feel the same way.


Cool. I think I am having a difficult time making my point. It's not about bragging rights or pride- it's about, in the long run, developing a stronger program. A myriad of things need to happen, and one that helps is playing better competition week in and week out.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3707
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:20 pm

Again I think the crux of the issue right now in hindsight of the Wiscy TCU game is not if TCU can beat a Wiscy, b/c obviously they can, but more does a TCU even get to that game if they played in a legit conference (where you might have to play 3-4 legit teams in a row every single year). I know TCU has had a good record against BCS schools or whatever the stat was last night, but IMO there is a big difference between having to prepare for one or two of those games a year as opposed to having to prepare for 3 of them in a row, and on the road in places like Death Valley, Madison or the Shoe, and at night.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:20 pm

FUDU wrote:Again I think the crux of the issue right now in hindsight of the Wiscy TCU game is not if TCU can beat a Wiscy, b/c obviously they can, but more does a TCU even get to that game if they played in a legit conference (where you might have to play 3-4 legit teams in a row every single year). I know TCU has had a good record against BCS schools or whatever the stat was last night, but IMO there is a big difference between having to prepare for one or two of those games a year as opposed to having to prepare for 3 of them in a row, and on the road in places like Death Valley, Madison or the Shoe, and at night.


Without question, but it applies more in regard to the TCU's or Boise's running the table and playing for a title. I've been on record as saying what a huge advantage a free regular season is.

However, specifically to the Rose Bowl. I don't see how this year's TCU couldn't go into this year's big ten and wind up on par with Wiscy, OSU or Michigan State. They just beat Wiscy, I think they are waay better than MSU, and have you seen Terrell Pryor's numbers this year against any decent defense with a pulse. Hell, people claiming the vest had the guy under wraps...look at those numbers, he was doin' what he had to do with that guy to get the wins.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6626
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: Big 10 Bowl Games

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:14 pm

Eh hard for me to completely agree but I see your point. My thing about the Rose Bowl is simply that TCU won with almost picture perfect execution on their part and superior game day coaching. I'm not so sure that holds true enough for them to win that game more than 3 times if they played it ten. Wiscy dominated TOP and ran the ball down their throats, missing out on converting one drive for any points and another for 4 more points. Having said that I cannot see them pulling that off for 3-4 straight weeks in late Oct through November against teams like Iowa, Wiscy, OSU, PSU and Nebraska year in and year out.

This year I agree they most likely are in the mix come the last week of Big Ten play.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest