Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

LeDouche thinks contraction would be good

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

LeDouche thinks contraction would be good

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:04 am

"Hopefully the league can figure out one way where it can go back to the '80s where you had three or four All-Stars, three or four superstars, three or four Hall of Famers on the same team," James said. "The league was great. It wasn't as watered down as it is [now]."

In fact, James seemed to have a couple of ideas of which teams could go and some players that would make other teams better right now.

"[Contraction] is not my job; I'm a player but that is why it the league was so great," James said.

"Imagine if you could take Kevin Love off Minnesota and add him to another team and you shrink the [league]. Looking at some of the teams that aren't that great, you take Brook Lopez or you take Devin Harris off these teams that aren't that good right now and you add him to a team that could be really good. Not saying let's take New Jersey and let's take Minnesota out of the league. But hey, you guys are not stupid, I'm not stupid, it would be great for the league."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/ ... id=5952952

Doesn't this seem really stupid? The NFL is thriving like mad, and some of it's more popular teams are cities like Green Bay, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh and Cleveland, and yet are able to balance it out with popular franchises like New England, both New York franchises and Dallas.

But go ahead and follow ledouche's fantasy Mr. Stern, I'm sure that you guys will plummet below Arena Football and Soccer in no time!
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: LeDouche thinks contraction would be good

Unread postby CharacterIV » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:30 am

Is it going overboard with the whole persecutorial thing to assume he's talking about the Cavaliers? This asshole had us snowed for seven years... how? Oh yeah. He's really goddamn good. Well, at least he's not making any friends in the NBA front office or the rank-and-file of the league with such talk. Maybe some vet. min contract-type schlub will take it upon himself to remind the False Savior about solidarity via an elbow to the windpipe. We can hope.
Being a Cleveland fan builds character.
CharacterIV

Favorite Player: Indignation
Least Favorite Player: "Brands"

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:07 am

It's really sounding more and more like a select group of NBA players are becoming inter change-able with E! stars like the Kardashians, Lohans and Hiltons of the world.

Dudes are more focused on looking good and making money, rather than working on their game.

maybe Durant will help save this, dudes in OKC, works hard and doesn't make a lot of noise.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby bookelly » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:43 am

These comments are sure gonna make him popular with the Players Union. I wonder if he would think the same way if he were a fringe player on a bad team. Selfish prick.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby Cleveland Transplant » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:36 am

I don't think it's a terrible idea. I think the MLB could afford to contract a couple of teams as well. The NBA just isn't nearly as popular as the NFL is - and lets be honest for a minute: The NFL is the #1 sport in this country. There really is a lot of watered down talent, and a lot of bad teams in the NBA who have been bad for a long time now.
Cleveland Transplant

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:45 am

I don't think he's saying anything that hasn't been discussed already. The talent is watered down and contraction would strengthen the product. And there are markets where contraction is a possibility.

I also don't disagree that it's not his place to bring it up or speak about specific teams and franchises.

But if the question is asked directly he's going to answer it.

Again, he's not the anti-christ. He's an immature douche bag who's been handed everything his entire life and who's been told the sun rises and sets on his nut sack. I can't stand the guy but we do need to recognize.

Bitching about every word that comes out of his mouth is as bad as 7 years of blowing him in my opinion.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:00 am

Contraction would be a good idea and it was discussed a couple of weeks ago when it was announced that the league would like to reduce salaries. It's Stearns monster he created, piggybacking on the popularity of Magic, Bird, Jordan, etc in the late 80's. He wanted his brand everywhere in the US, regardless of whether teams would thrive in the chosen cities or not. He banked on his visiting players keeping those markets afloat until they built a solid, competeive team.

James comments don't bother me as I'm sure Kevin Love has had the same thoughts or any other player stuck in an NBA Siberia. James line of thinking would get him of the hook so to speak, as if contraction did happen, he could point at all the other teams who have multiple All Stars, HoF potential talent, etc.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:20 am

Boy, weren't the 1980s filled with superb basketball played by men at the peak of their greatness?

Remember the 1980-81 Dallas Mavericks, led by Geoff Huston's 16.1 ppg and Jim Spanarkel's 14.4 ppg, who finished 15-67? Or the 21-61 Detroit Pistons of that year? Shoulda contracted them.

Maybe they could have contracted the 1891-82 Cavs, who won just 15 games. Or the Clippers, who played in San Diego and went 17-65. (Come to think of it, maybe that would have been a good idea.)

The 20-win Pacers of 1982-83 could have been kicked out of the league, though Clark Kellogg and his 20.1 ppg wouldn't have had anywhere to play (well, maybe they could have put him on the awesome Lakers of 76ers).

The Pacers sucked again in 1984-85, winning just 22 games. So did the Golden State Warriors, who won the same amount. So perhaps the Pacers should have been booted.

Contracting those Clippers would have saved us from their ineptitude in 1986-87 when they won just 12 games. Or the next season when they won just 17.

Hell, they should have contracted the Nets back in 1987-88 when they went 19-63.

Man, the 1980s were filled with awesome teams who all had superstars and whose games should be replayed over and over again on television instead of showing us today's players.

Hell, maybe they should just retract the whole damn rigged league. There's been, what, five different champions the last 30 years?
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:46 am

Well, there's another genius move by Team LeBron. Stern pulls out contraction as a bargaining chip and they cave faster than a congressman voting on a tax cut. I wonder if Maverick and Wes are going to return Billy Hunter's calls, obviously he won't be simply wishing them a Merry Christmas.

EDIT: On the other hand, David Stern may be having a very Merry belated Hanukkah. No way he was going to make his league look weak to advertisers and kill off two to four markets. Contraction was always a negotiating play, and already its paying off well before they head into the off-season lockout. Further escalating the divide between the haves and have-nots of the Players' Association? Thank you so very much and have a Happy New Year too, Team LeBron!
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:20 pm

David Stern on contraction two months ago:

"It's a sensitive subject for me because I've spent 27 years in this job working very hard not only to maintain all of our teams, but along the way add a few," Stern said during his preseason conference call.

"But I think that's a subject that will be on the table with the players as we look to see what's the optimum way to present our game, and are there cities and teams that cannot make it in the current economic environment. I'm not spending a lot of time on it."

CBSSports.com first reported Thursday that the league would "continue to be open to contraction," after Stern said he wanted player costs reduced by $700-800 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5715816
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:06 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Boy, weren't the 1980s filled with superb basketball played by men at the peak of their greatness?

Remember the 1980-81 Dallas Mavericks, led by Geoff Huston's 16.1 ppg and Jim Spanarkel's 14.4 ppg, who finished 15-67? Or the 21-61 Detroit Pistons of that year? Shoulda contracted them.

Maybe they could have contracted the 1891-82 Cavs, who won just 15 games. Or the Clippers, who played in San Diego and went 17-65. (Come to think of it, maybe that would have been a good idea.)

The 20-win Pacers of 1982-83 could have been kicked out of the league, though Clark Kellogg and his 20.1 ppg wouldn't have had anywhere to play (well, maybe they could have put him on the awesome Lakers of 76ers).

The Pacers sucked again in 1984-85, winning just 22 games. So did the Golden State Warriors, who won the same amount. So perhaps the Pacers should have been booted.

Contracting those Clippers would have saved us from their ineptitude in 1986-87 when they won just 12 games. Or the next season when they won just 17.

Hell, they should have contracted the Nets back in 1987-88 when they went 19-63.

Man, the 1980s were filled with awesome teams who all had superstars and whose games should be replayed over and over again on television instead of showing us today's players.

Hell, maybe they should just retract the whole damn rigged league. There's been, what, five different champions the last 30 years?

Nice.

Meanwhile LeBron isn't on any of those teams, hence he wants contraction and multiple superstars per team.

I know he's a doosh but I never thought I'd hear him say my LePussy hurts.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Spin » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:11 pm

I think contraction would be great. If they contracted any nplayer with a hat size bigger than 10, the league would be watchable... :tool:
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:40 pm

His comments reek of someone unwilling and now self-knowingly unable to live up to the hype and carry a team

He wishes he played on the '85 Lakers....

He's not even Worthy : )
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby papacass » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:00 pm

Or instead of mining every LBJ comment for "nefarious ulterior motives" potential, we coudl all realize that he doesn't go that deep.

Here's what LBJ is thinking about contraction:

"Man, it is so awesome that I got to hook up with D-Wade and Bosh and rule South Beach! EVERY star player in the league should be able to do this! We should all be able to group up by threes and, like, have a bunch of really awesome teams! Then we could just get rid of the rest of teams because they suck! It's brilliant! Now, do I want to roll up to da club in the Bentley or the Lotus tonight?"

Sometimes, kids just say the darndest things.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby hiko » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:15 pm

They should go ahead and contract the whole league.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby r22weiss » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:51 pm

Looks like plenty of people are not happy with Lebron's contraction talk.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aj4rb8qqcCP8rjVsDmpGj9E5nYcB?slug=aw-kobelebron122410
r22weiss

Favorite Player: Victor Martinez
Least Favorite Player: Jonathan Paplebon

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:21 am

'That boy ain't right.'
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:17 pm

Someone got a severed horse head from the Players' Union.

""That's crazy, because I had no idea what the word 'contraction' meant before I saw it on the Internet," James said after the Miami Heat's practice Monday. "I never even mentioned that. That word never even came out of my mouth. I was just saying how the league was back in the '80s and how it could be good again. I never said, 'Let's take some of the teams out.'""

To borrow a quote from a Basketbawful commenter: 'LeBron's comments can clearly be read as "will someone please concoct a plan that will get Kevin Love or Brook Lopez on the Heat".'
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby jb » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:41 pm

bookelly wrote:These comments are sure gonna make him popular with the Players Union. I wonder if he would think the same way if he were a fringe player on a bad team. Selfish prick.

Chicken dinner.

Gonna be interesting to see what happens with the CBA in terms of teams, cap space, and franchiseing players to hold own the jack given to the top few and where the rank & file's support will go.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA