Text Size

College Sports Arena

Pryor, Boom, Posey to sit out Sugar Bowl?

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Pryor, Boom, Posey to sit out Sugar Bowl?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:23 am

pup wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Additionally, if you don't want these kids to sell this shit, then STOP FUCKING GIVING IT TO THEM. If we want to give players gold pants and championship rings, do it when they have spent their eligibility and they are on their way off the campus, escrow it so to speak.

I don't know about you guys, but I sold my own fucking blood to buy a couple of 12pks and a stick of beef jerkey when I was 18. If I would have had a Big Ten championship ring worth 1k, I would have sold that and kept the blood. Hell, $1,000.00 = 250 12PKS of the beast back in the day. That is like an entire month of partying!

This is an excellent point.

Giving a student athlete a $1,500 ring is a stupid thing to do. That's going to be the first thing to go the first time they need some scratch.

If you are going to reward these players, don't give them shit till they graduate, not leave for the NFL, but actually graduate. I know for a mega million dollar athelete, those rings might not mean shit. But it might to some other guys.

You know how many Big 10 Championship rings are on that campus right now? A few hundred? How many got sold? Blame the people that broke the rules, please.

I have no idea how many got sold. Probably alot more than we know of.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby furls » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:44 am

Pup,

I am a fan, but I am no apologist. Do you really want to know how many of those rings are running around where they are not supposed to be? Do you really think that the those are the only 5 that were sold? My point is that we all care WAY more about the Buckeyes than these kids do, particularly when they first arrive. When they show up in Columbus, OSU is a means to draft day. Some of them become Buckeyes along the way.

I just think it is really fucking dumb to give these guys things that have real tangible value, tell them that they own them, then get all butt-hurt when they basically end up on Craig's list. Why do the schools get to give the players things, but agents don't (rhetorical question)? What is the difference? If it is their possession, why can't they sell it (rhetorical question)?

In the end, they broke the rules (as dumb as they are) and they should pay the price whatever that is. I was careful not to smirk too much when that AJ Green thing went down, because I knew that if you looked hard enough in my backyard you would find some bodies. I just hoped they were buried deep enough.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:18 am

furls wrote:Pup,

I am a fan, but I am no apologist. Do you really want to know how many of those rings are running around where they are not supposed to be? Do you really think that the those are the only 5 that were sold? My point is that we all care WAY more about the Buckeyes than these kids do, particularly when they first arrive. When they show up in Columbus, OSU is a means to draft day. Some of them become Buckeyes along the way.

I just think it is really fucking dumb to give these guys things that have real tangible value, tell them that they own them, then get all butt-hurt when they basically end up on Craig's list. Why do the schools get to give the players things, but agents don't (rhetorical question)? What is the difference? If it is their possession, why can't they sell it (rhetorical question)?

In the end, they broke the rules (as dumb as they are) and they should pay the price whatever that is. I was careful not to smirk too much when that AJ Green thing went down, because I knew that if you looked hard enough in my backyard you would find some bodies. I just hoped they were buried deep enough.

I see the point here Furls, but really, how much easier can we make it for them? They are essentially in bubbles with their hands held for their time there anyway.

Simple rule. Simple to understand rule. (unlike many of the archaic rules in the NCAA books)

Whether we agree they should be able to sell that stuff or not (and we do) point is, a simple rule says you can't.

And, what about the guys that follow the rules, the ones that the rings and mementos might mean something to?

It certainly is a means to a draft day for many, as you state. But better stated, a PERCIEVED means to a draft day for most. Cause well over 90% of em' are gonna be in the real world shortly, and the hand jobs will stop, and ya gotta follow some rules, and take some responsibility.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:25 am

leadpipe wrote:[This ain't the NCAA'a fault.

That arent too many rules for these guys to follow. Even the dumbest one of em' would know this was wrong.

And they'll let em' play the bowl game for the same reason they let Newton. And they'll cancel the bowl game wins after the money has been deposited.

Ba-Da-BOOM!

See: Bowden, Bobby, Free Shoes U
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby pup » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:32 am

Do we have to stop letting them take their cleats back to the dorm?
Do we have to keep pens away from them so they can't autograph shit?

Where does it end? It was very nice of Gene Smith and The Vest to stand up there and take one for the team (as well as the compliance group), but holy shit on a fig. If you have to tell these guys that they cannot profit from being a football player at tOSU while you are still a football player at tOSU there is no hope.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:11 am

I think the point here with regards to the NCAA is their unrelenting hypocrisy in dealing with kids that are turning into men and entering the real world. Look but don't touch, touch but don't taste, taste but don't swallow.

IOW they are saying as long as we're up here and you're down there we'll make the rules as we go along, no matter how nonsensical these rules are in their application in the real world. The NCAA doesn't even know and follow their own rules when dealing with these kids, not to mention they do a poor job of hiding the fact that it is all about the money.

An NCAA investigation makes the political winds of change look instantaneous. Then once all the evidence is collected and the stories are told they break out their what will keep us in the spotlight and return us the best ratings and most money algorithm calculator and with the eloquence of Principal Vernon they distribute their sentence.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:41 am

FUDU wrote:I think the point here with regards to the NCAA is their unrelenting hypocrisy in dealing with kids that are turning into men and entering the real world. Look but don't touch, touch but don't taste, taste but don't swallow.

IOW they are saying as long as we're up here and you're down there we'll make the rules as we go along, no matter how nonsensical these rules are in their application in the real world. The NCAA doesn't even know and follow their own rules when dealing with these kids, not to mention they do a poor job of hiding the fact that it is all about the money.

An NCAA investigation makes the political winds of change look instantaneous. Then once all the evidence is collected and the stories are told they break out their what will keep us in the spotlight and return us the best ratings and most money algorithm calculator and with the eloquence of Principal Vernon they distribute their sentence.

Again, this particular incident....doesn't fall at the feet of archaic NCAA rules.

Simple rule. Simple interpretation.

As far as kids turning men and entering the real world. This incident is the first lesson for a couple, save, as I mentioned earlier, the ones that will duck it by entering the draft. The real world is nothing like what these guys have gone thru yet - but it's gonna smack em' right in the face real soon. Seen it time and time again with guys that don't make the league, and with many that do after they've played a few years - that is, once they are in the real world, they still feel it revolves around them, and they find themselves in trouble. Crime, bankruptcy, employment - all this shit requires you follow rules. This simple one from the NCAA is nothing compared to what average joe faces. If they can't follow this one, they'll be ill prepared to follow "real" ones.

The NCAA is a money grubbing crock to be sure, but if they weren't, simple rules such as this would exist from someone running the show.

Behave.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:08 pm

..and again I never said it did.

FUDU

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:09 pm

This thread will improve if jb ever gets out from under the apron
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby pup » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:49 pm

FUDU wrote:I think the point here with regards to the NCAA is their unrelenting hypocrisy in dealing with kids that are turning into men and entering the real world. Look but don't touch, touch but don't taste, taste but don't swallow.

Simple answer to any of these guys that believe the NCAA doesn't know and follow their own rules and does a poor job of hiding it is all about the money.

Pay your own way. Go to all of your classes. Don't play football. Earn your degree and go get a real job in the real world.

You sign that scholarship and play their game, you follow their rules. Do I enjoy all of the rules placed on me in my employment? Hell no. Do I wish I could accept gifts from suppliers to use their products? Products I would probably chose anyway because it is the best on the market? Yes I do. Do I? Nope, because that is the rule I have to accept to keep my job. Could I buy some goods at a discount from my employer and then sell them and turn a profit. Sure could. Would I get fired? Yes I would.

These rules are in place in every walk of life. Deal with it or don't play. Pretty simple.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby c11058 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:25 pm

Whatever happened to taking pride in your accomplishments and valuing the awards you receive? Do these guys get so many awards and accolades that they lose their meaning?

IMO, these kind of awards are something that one would want to cherish for life, not sell them. I guess I don't think like these knuckleheads.

Don't tell me that they didn't think that they might be doing something improper by selling this stuff. Did their families need the $$ or did these guys just want some extra money to run around with?

The Buckeyes seem to have one major fuck-up every year, don't they?

Who's the scumbag who bought this stuff from these kids? If it's the tattoo artist, I wouldn't be surprised if his storefront has a couple of bricks thrown through the windows! :gah:
c11058

Favorite Player: Omar Vizquel
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:42 pm

You win a B10 championship you should get a fucking t-shirt thats says "I won a B10 Championship and all I got was this lousy T Shirt".
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:11 pm

Pup, I'll say the same thing to you that I said to Lead, you're reading something that isn't there in regards to my post.

I've never once suggested these kids not be held accountable and that this doesn't start and end with their decisions to do what they did. I'm simply pointing out that the NCAA is a joke in itself simply b/c of their hypocrisy in the rules they apply to the kids that make them rich and how they pick and choose when to apply the rules.

Calling BS on the NCAA is not an act of condoning and defending the actions of rule breaking athletes.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:17 pm

The key difference between the idiocy that is the NCAA rules and the real world Pup, is that in the real world, at your real world job, they don't suspend you for selling the Rolex that they gave you for 20 years of service. Maybe you just don't like Rolex's, maybe you would rather have a full body tatoo. In the end, the "Student-Athletes" are capitalizing on being athletes because they are being awarded something of value, so in a sense OSU, the B10 and the NCAA are violating their own rule.

Now, that said, the rule is pretty fucking simple, don't sell your shit. So these guys broke a rule and should receive whatever punishment they get. In the end it is A FUCKING DUMB rule and the NCAA is yet again talking out of both sides of its mouth. I propose that they stop awarding things of value to the players to comply with their own rules. If the NCAA must give these guys a goody bag, give it to them on their way out the door when they have already used their eligibility, then the NCAA would be compliant with its own rules.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:05 pm

furls wrote:The key difference between the idiocy that is the NCAA rules and the real world Pup, is that in the real world, at your real world job, they don't suspend you for selling the Rolex that they gave you for 20 years of service. Maybe you just don't like Rolex's, maybe you would rather have a full body tatoo. In the end, the "Student-Athletes" are capitalizing on being athletes because they are being awarded something of value, so in a sense OSU, the B10 and the NCAA are violating their own rule.

Now, that said, the rule is pretty fucking simple, don't sell your shit. So these guys broke a rule and should receive whatever punishment they get. In the end it is A FUCKING DUMB rule and the NCAA is yet again talking out of both sides of its mouth. I propose that they stop awarding things of value to the players to comply with their own rules. If the NCAA must give these guys a goody bag, give it to them on their way out the door when they have already used their eligibility, then the NCAA would be compliant with its own rules.

I pray the Bowls that give these kids X-Boxes as swag don't follow up to see if the guys with 3 X-Boxes already in their apartments sell them for $200 each for spring break beer money.

The NCAA compliance office is a fucking joke. And again, that's not condoning the fact that a jagoof like Pryor knows better (regardless of what Tressel and Smith say).

It's still a fucking joke because the rules are archaic and the enforcement is uneven.

Worry about this shit while guys like Bobby Lowder are running college programs for 25 years.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby JoJo White » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:05 pm

Hope those tramp stamps were worth it.
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:51 am

Point of contention, Peek: I don't think Pryor knows better. All he's missing is Maverick and Wes whispering in his ear, if they haven't been already.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:03 am

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Point of contention, Peek: I don't think Pryor knows better. All he's missing is Maverick and Wes whispering in his ear, if they haven't been already.

Well, he's certainly got the arrogance and entitlement thing down pat.

Wonder if that will remain when he's a 4th round TE selection.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:04 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Point of contention, Peek: I don't think Pryor knows better. All he's missing is Maverick and Wes whispering in his ear, if they haven't been already.

Well, he's certainly got the arrogance and entitlement thing down pat.

Wonder if that will remain when he's a 4th round TE selection.

Dude is definitely a man without a position in the NFL

I'd make a list of every one and why but it would take too long...
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:09 pm

These guys are idiots, should have just let their parents sell it.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:30 pm

Ziner wrote:These guys are idiots, should have just let their parents sell it.

+ sideways 8
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena