Text Size

College Sports Arena

Sullinger Goes Off

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Sullinger Goes Off

Unread postby Squints » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:03 pm

40 points, 13 boards tonight against IUPUI in a 75-64 win.

Although slightly misleading, the Bucks were down by 9 with 12 to go. He was literally a man amongst boys. Just fed him the ball the entire second half.

One thing specifically that concerned me was Matta did not sub the entire second half. On one side it was an easy game plan to just feed Sullinger all night, but this non-subbing brings back memories of last year. One time fluke or trend to see in the future? Thoughts.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Re: Sullinger Goes Off

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:06 am

Remember Matta's line last year when he was asked if he risked tiring out his starters by playing them so many minutes...

"They can rest in April"
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:28 am

Pretty sweet game. I took my son and nephew last night. Sullinger also missed 10 free throws so he could have had even more. I don't think he shot further than 5 feet from the basket all night. Matta loves Craft at point. Buford started the game but Craft started the second half and like you said, no substitutes. Lauderdale started, got his senior respect minutes then never sniffed the court in the late first half or second half either.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Flash Gordon
Least Favorite Player: TWofA

Unread postby davidregimbal » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:39 am

Matta sat Lauderdale because IUPUI was playing "small ball", their "big man" was actually playing on the perimeter last night. That made Lauderdale a liability because his strength is defending the post. Only needed one big body, and I think Matta made the right decision by keeping Sully in.

Didn't mind the shortened rotation after Ohio State's nine day layoff. Especially during a close game like last nights, I like seeing Ohio State's best players on the court.
davidregimbal

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:23 pm

davidregimbal wrote:Matta sat Lauderdale because IUPUI was playing "small ball", their "big man" was actually playing on the perimeter last night. That made Lauderdale a liability because his strength is defending the post. Only needed one big body, and I think Matta made the right decision by keeping Sully in.

Didn't mind the shortened rotation after Ohio State's nine day layoff. Especially during a close game like last nights, I like seeing Ohio State's best players on the court.

Good seeing you in here, David. Don't be a stranger.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:36 pm

I don't care who it came against, 40 points is still a great game. That's like the 4th time in 40 years that's happened.

Please sweet baby Jesus lord in heaven, let there be an NBA lockout for the next 3 years so I can watch Sullinger.

He would look good in Wine And Gold, despite those colors sucking balls.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:54 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I don't care who it came against, 40 points is still a great game. That's like the 4th time in 40 years that's happened.

Please sweet baby Jesus lord in heaven, let there be an NBA lockout for the next 3 years so I can watch Sullinger.

Gonna take a lockput for college hoop fans to get a look at Sullinger and Tarence Jones at UK. Holy shit can these guys play.

They'd both be soooooo much better with a 2nd year but the game Jones posesses is just disgusting.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:00 pm

Give me Sullinger or Kyrie Irving and i'm a happy Cavs fan.

Haven't seen much of Jones, so i'll have to take your word for it.

This Bucks team is a nice mix of experience and youth. I love watching Craft, he's like a little Pitbull on D.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jb » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I don't care who it came against, 40 points is still a great game. That's like the 4th time in 40 years that's happened.

Yep. yep.

Kid can say all the right Ohio shit, too. Have jilted Bron fans who are wearing Lyin' King T's but secretly listening to "Feelings" in the fetal position watching Heat highlights eating out of his palm.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby dmiles » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:11 pm

I saw those highlights of Jones on ESPN the other night. Sheesh. Reminded me of a more vicious Zach Randolph because the lefty thing.

Sullinger was just such a man last night. Hard to believe he is a true frosh.

Here is a youtube of Jones for those who didn't see. This is just one play but trust me the kid has moves around the hoop besides this one.

On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:50 pm

dmiles wrote:I saw those highlights of Jones on ESPN the other night. Sheesh. Reminded me of a more vicious Zach Randolph because the lefty thing.

Sullinger was just such a man last night. Hard to believe he is a true frosh.

Here is a youtube of Jones for those who didn't see. This is just one play but trust me the kid has moves around the hoop besides this one.

Dude is sick. I was at the game and he does shit that 25 yr olds don't. Course, he also does shit an 18 yr old does which means he's still dumb as a day old donkey in terms of shot selection, etc.

But he's a beast.

Was great watching little Hansbrough tear up the Cats for a half til they completely shut offhis water. I think ND scored 18 points total in the 2nd half. Tough to win that way.

Cool place Freedom Hall. God love any venue that has multiple Woodford Reserve kiosks where you can get kentucky bourbon for $5.50 a drink. :salute:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:53 pm

venue that has multiple Woodford Reserve kiosks

Yes!

you can get kentucky bourbon for $5.50 a drink

YES!
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:57 pm

I saw in Regimbal's atricle that the 1st people Sullinger gave credit to was his team mates.

Great kid, you can tell he's a coach's son.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Return to College Sports Arena