Text Size

College Sports Arena

Wow - Great Read (Wismar Goes Viral)

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Wow - Great Read (Wismar Goes Viral)

Unread postby swerb » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:46 pm

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Wow - Great Read

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:28 pm

Great work, Dan. The lengths you went on this article really make it stand out. I've seen many posts on message boards with the same topic in mind, but this takes the cake in terms of being comprehensive and factual still all the while keeping the sequence of events in order.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby JoJo White » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:05 pm

meh...it's the $EC.

As if Auburn is the only program there skirting the rules and using street agents.
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:00 pm

Tremendous article.

And it's gone national as over 33,000 people have clicked it here on TCF. That has to got to easily be the single most-read article on the history of this site.

Well done Dan. And when you hit those radio shows be sure to put in a good word for TCF ;-) ;) :wink:

If there are links or URLs for the appearances that will be coming please post them hear so we can listen.

Thanks Dan.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:23 pm

Thanks for the kind words.

Frankly, I had no freaking idea what I was getting into here. I've had people from Alabama emailing to send me additional information...and one north Alabama sports talk station emailed today to set up an interview with me on Wednesday. That is now set for 1:15 p.m. Wednesday. They tell me you can listen live at 939thescore.com

I spoke with a guy this morning on the phone who was personally acquainted with a longtime Alabama State Senator, who wanted to give some insights into Alabama politics, and just how Lowder was able to keep the state from replacing him on the Auburn BoT. All this means that there will have to be a follow up article, natch.

Searching Twitter on the keyword "Lowder" is enough to give you an idea of how the thing is spreading, especially in SEC country. It's posted at several SEC message boards and my emailing it to several national sportswriters couldn't have hurt either.

But it's amazing what has happened with it.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:28 pm

Great job Dan and crazy those calls you are getting...
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:03 pm

Dammit. We clearly need to change the focus of this site to SEC athletics. You Cleveland fans are not nearly as appreciative or knowledge-hungry ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:14 pm

peeker643 wrote:36,000.

Dammit. We clearly need to change the focus of this site to SEC athletics. You Cleveland fans are not nearly as appreciative or knowledge-hungry ;-) ;) :wink:

What hits?

Damn, is that a record here?
JCoz

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:20 pm

JCoz wrote:
peeker643 wrote:36,000.

What hits?

Damn, is that a record here?

36,000 hits. Easily a record here. :salute:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby swerb » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:31 pm

Prior to this, the most read column in site history had about 11,000 reads.

This thing is gonna hit 50,000 reads by tomorrow morning. If not sooner.

Just the stuff that has come in to the "Contact Us" (people who can't figure out how to click on Dan's name and email him directly) ... been a non-stop stream.

A lot of angry Auburn fans. And fans of the other SEC teams that are ready to back a Wismar presidential bid in 2012.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:43 pm

swerb wrote:Prior to this, the most read column in site history had about 11,000 reads.

Just the stuff that has come in to the "Contact Us" (people who can't figure out how to click on Dan's name and email him directly) ... been a non-stop stream.

A lot of angry Auburn fans. And fans of the other SEC teams that are ready to back a Wismar presidential bid in 2012.

LOL....good stuff.

Auburn fan is extremely defensive right now. Hopefully Dan's address is nowhere in print.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:52 pm

swerb wrote:Prior to this, the most read column in site history had about 11,000 reads.

Are you legally able to do a montage of the most ridiculous Auburn fan emails?

The Bammers and Tiger fans are probably sending in some funny stuff as well...
JCoz

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:57 pm

War Wismar!! :cheers:

Rack peek's suggestion on turning this to a SEC board. I'm with that.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby fairvis » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:00 pm

Dan, really is a fantastic article. Been telling my friends down here about it.

Being in the middle of things, Auburn fans just don't care. Bama fans are pissed, and Mississippi State fans are as well (as they'd be there if Cam had come to Starkville). Great to see you're getting props for it.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:02 pm

LSU site that I visit daily, tigerdroppings.com, has a ton of traffic and a great SEC Rant board. They have a 120+ page thread going on about this very topic, and Dan's article off the main page is linked on page 119. Tons of traffic on that site, great for Dan.

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/MessageTopic.asp?p=22778676&Pg=1

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Re: Wow - Great Read (Wismar Goes Viral)

Unread postby swerb » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:29 pm

Wall Street Journal emailed me to get Dan's contact info ... Dan spoke with the reporter for 20 min and is going to be quoted in a Wednesday piece in the Journal.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:30 pm

And it's now over 40,000 reads.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:34 pm

Congratulations on all the props, Dan. Good for you. And great for the site.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:23 am

Bayou Tribe wrote:LSU site that I visit daily, tigerdroppings.com, has a ton of traffic and a great SEC Rant board. They have a 120+ page thread going on about this very topic, and Dan's article off the main page is linked on page 119. Tons of traffic on that site, great for Dan.

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/MessageTopic.asp?p=22778676&Pg=1

On an aside, I wasn't sure the fan site "bucknuts" could be topped, but "tigerdroppings" is indeed a worse name.
JCoz

Unread postby jerryroche » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:41 am

As a former newspaperman, I gotta tell you that this is one of the most comprehensive, well-researched sports articles I've ever seen on an independent Website -- certainly worthy of SI.

I can also tell you that it takes tremendous balls to write something like this about a well-known figure for public consumption. Before doing so, you've got to cover all the bases, and it appears that Dan has.

Bravo, Dan!!!
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Wild Thang
Least Favorite Player: Ratlisberger

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:40 am

Dan has been on fire all season. My two favorite Wiz joints of the year were the Minnesota piece and this one. Two very different types of articles. It ain't all that easy to do one style well. Versatility is strength ILO.

Excellent.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby admin » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:57 am

Well over 50,000 hits now! Awesome
admin

Favorite Player: .
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:09 pm

Great job by Dan. What is happening to this article is well deserved and exciting as hell.

Like someone else already mentioned, when I was reading it I was thinking that it belonged in something like Sports Illustrated. On the cover.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:40 pm

JCoz wrote:Are you legally able to do a montage of the most ridiculous Auburn fan emails?

The Bammers and Tiger fans are probably sending in some funny stuff as well...

Not sure how many emails Swerb is just looking at and declining to send my way, but I assume he is sending me most of what he's getting, and I have responded politely to almost every one, in some cases leading to a back and forth dialogue. Almost all of it has been very civil and constructive.

Frankly I'm a little surprised at the relative lack of nastiness in them, especially from the Auburn people. But then again, I express some sympathy with the Auburn fans...and even the ones that disagree with some of my suppositions have begun with some variation of "We all hate Bobby Lowder and what he's done to Auburn, but...."

Some want to write off the whole exercise to my being a bitter OSU/Big Ten fan laying the groundwork for another loss to an SEC school...blah, blah.

Or "why don't you write an article about Maurice Clarett...blah, blah"..., since I openly self-identify as a Buckeye fan. (I remind these people that Maurice Clarett's college career was terminated after one season because of the shit he did...and that OSU suffered some sanctions for it all)

As far as the interview Wednesday on Alabama radio (939thescore.com) it's set to go at 1:15 pm, but as far as I know the "Listen Live" button on the station's website isn't working. I tried it yesterday and it downdloads a .m3u file, but can't connect to a live host. I notified the station that the web listening function isn't working, but a day later, it still isn't.

I have the ability to record the call myself, so I may do that.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:50 pm

danwismar wrote:I have the ability to record the call myself, so I may do that.

Please do that. I'd love to hear it and don't know my availability at that time tomorrow anyway.

Any news on the WSJ?

Are there any suspicious looking vans parked across the street and a few houses down?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:00 pm

Dan- is that 115pm est or cst? Not sure where that CST line is (I know it's in Nashville).

Funny, I'm in Louisville for work and the guy next to me graduated from Auburn. I mentioned the article and he asked for a link.

He also advises all of Alabama is Central Time. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:12 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Any news on the WSJ?

Are there any suspicious looking vans parked across the street and a few houses down?

The WSJ writer I talked to is Allen Barra.

Great guy, and we had a nice conversation. He has a piece appearing in Wednesday's paper (website?) and I think that some or all of this quote from my article is what he intends to use:

The presumption of innocence is one thing, but the suspension of disbelief is something else entirely. Cam Newton surely is entitled to the former. But given Auburn's sleazy history, plus what we now know about the elder Newton, to believe in his innocence is to make an irrational leap of faith. It is borderline delusional.

Barra is from Alabama, and said he will try to get the article some more exposure down there by possibly hooking me up with some newspapers in the area.

Barra is also appearing on the nationally syndicated Paul Finebaum sports talk show...also tomorrow afternoon, and he says he is going to plug the article and TCF.

No unmarked vans on the street...yet.

danwismar

Unread postby pup » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:21 pm

Good thing for Dan, them fellers ain't all that sharp down there. These were the guys they sent to spy on Terry Bowden:

Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:46 pm

1:15 p.m. Eastern (ET)

danwismar

Unread postby admin » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:08 pm

As far as the interview Wednesday on Alabama radio (939thescore.com) it's set to go at 1:15 pm, but as far as I know the "Listen Live" button on the station's website isn't working. I tried it yesterday and it downdloads a .m3u file, but can't connect to a live host. I notified the station that the web listening function isn't working, but a day later, it still isn't.

Windows Media Player started playing the feed, then blew up. I tried VLC and it looks like their server is dead or getting too much traffic. They need a real host ;-) ;) :wink:

Still going strong: 56,000+ hits
admin

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:32 pm

Wow. I always thought Admin was a robot. So it's either a real person or Admin has become self aware and will destroy us all after learning the true price of human emotions.

And FTR screw what any Auburn fans has to say, Dan. You owned them in a way that you should owe them money and a ride home.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:47 pm

Admin is Skynet.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby swerb » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:09 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Wow. I always thought Admin was a robot. So it's either a real person or Admin has become self aware and will destroy us all after learning the true price of human emotions.

And FTR screw what any Auburn fans has to say, Dan. You owned them in a way that you should owe them money and a ride home.

He is. He actually looks just like the robot that Paulie fell in love with in Rocky IV.

That, or a young Bob Saget. One of the two.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby admin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:24 am

Ha! jackass
admin

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:36 am

^ feisty robot
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:44 am

Sitting next to an '85 Auburn grad right now down here in Louisville.

He read Dan's article and said, "Never really realized how damning that laundry list of transgressions could look til now."

He told me Finebaum is the sports authority down there and gave me a link where you might be able to download the Dan Wismar interview tomorrow.

Not sure if it will make the cut or not but the link is:

http://www.finebaum.com/sectional.asp?id=38693

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:07 pm

Just to clarify. I'm not going to be on the syndicated Finebaum show (though Allen Barra is...talking about generally the same topic) I am on a local show on one of the many stations that also carries the syndicated Finebaum show...from 6-10 pm. Harold Bugg and Brett Baeird (sp?) are the hosts.

danwismar

Unread postby admin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:16 pm

http://939thescore.com/

Feed is working. I think they're bringing Dan on next.
admin

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:22 pm

Can't stream from work. Anyone hear it?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:27 pm

peeker643 wrote:Can't stream from work. Anyone hear it?

That damn Nazi Peter B.

I listened to it, it was tough to hear with the banjo playing in the background.

Nice job, Dan. Quite the celebrity you have become. Next week Jim Rome.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:59 pm

Mark the Admin Robot Guy was good enough top upload the mp3 file of the interview at the link below. I think it went okay, except I sound like I did speed before I did the interview...

http://theclevelandfan.com/BamaRadio.mp3

The WSJ article by Allen Barra is going to be in tomorrow's (Thurs.) paper, BTW.

danwismar

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:27 pm

Really tremendous.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:35 am

This won't hurt the numbers, as TCF gets a mention in the Wall Street Journal (see paragraph 3)

http://on.wsj.com/gc0Uq0

danwismar

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:03 pm

danwismar wrote:This won't hurt the numbers, as TCF gets a mention in the Wall Street Journal (see paragraph 3)

http://on.wsj.com/gc0Uq0

Nice.

Down here in SEC-country they call him either "sCam Newton" or "Cash Newton".

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:54 pm

Cam Newton is a lying piece of shit and his worthless scumbag snake oil salesman father should be thrown out on his greedy ass if even attempts to show his face at the Heisman.

Can't wait for the 2010 Vacated Heisman and National Championship.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jb » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:27 pm

swerb wrote:Wall Street Journal emailed me to get Dan's contact info ... Dan spoke with the reporter for 20 min and is going to be quoted in a Wednesday piece in the Journal.

Dan gets to speak to the WSJ?

he's gotta be in heaven.

Only thing better is when he gets on Hannity. ;-)

WTG Danny!

Back in the day at Wildcat prep we had to translate Cicero's orations. The way you lay this out is reminiscent.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:42 pm

jb wrote:
swerb wrote:Wall Street Journal emailed me to get Dan's contact info ... Dan spoke with the reporter for 20 min and is going to be quoted in a Wednesday piece in the Journal.

Dan gets to speak to the WSJ?

he's gotta be in heaven.

Only thing better is when he gets on Hannity. ;-)

WTG Danny!

90,685 fucking hits on that article.

That is unGodly, unbelievable and just slightly impressive.

All y'all better start cranking out SEC pieces. And make sure they're that well written and researched.

Christ, if I can get 1,000 people to click the Wrap I feel like a burglar and like Faulkner.

Up til now TCF 'viral' has been an Amico column during the playoffs that knocked down 10,000 reads. The bar is now a bit higher.

I told Dan in private emails and in here that he makes me proud to be associated with him in however small a manner I am. Technically he's tremendous, his effort and passion is off the charts and his work product speaks for itself.

He deserves every effing click he gets and I hope something goofy comes from the whole thing.

A lot of us fancy ourselves as wasted on our real jobs and psuedo Updikes and Lardners. I'll say it aloud: Dan is a professional and he's excellent at what he does.

I'm happy for the man. Sincerely ecstatic for someone who puts so much into everything he does.

:salute:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:47 pm

It's ok, Peek. I'm gonna read the next Teh Wrap 100,000 times so you can get that elusive interview with Fuzzy Animal Killer Bi Monthly.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:49 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:It's ok, Peek. I'm gonna read the next Teh Wrap 100,000 times so you can get that elusive interview with Fuzzy Animal Killer Bi Monthly.

Case of Wild Turkey in it for ya if you do. :nanner:

Don't fucking tease. :cheers:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:30 pm

Beautiful, Peeker. That's almost exactly the way we rehearsed it.

danwismar

Return to College Sports Arena