Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Boardwalk Empire

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Boardwalk Empire

Unread postby waborat » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:25 pm

Who's watchin???
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Unread postby jack_tors » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:43 pm

Count me in. Been waiting for this for weeks. Hope the product matches the hype and promo's.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby swerb » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:18 pm

Can't wait.

Also ... Bill Burr's new comedy special debuts at 11 PM on Comedy Central tonight. Saw him perform the same show at Hilarities ... it is absolutely hysterical.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:53 pm

I was going to activate HBO on my DirecTV for a few months to catch this show. I didn't know if there is any termination fee to cancel HBO at my discretion.

Anybody know the answer?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:32 pm

I'm intrigued.

Thought it was a bit frenetic but that they set up the initial episode relatively well.

Thought Jimmy was Scorsese's Leo DiCaprio from the way he chewed his gum to his other mannerisms.

I'm in for episode 2.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jb » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:57 am

Thumbs up so far
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:31 am

Great premier. Setup everything for the rest of the story perfectly. Little predictable but what isn't these days.

Couple things:
-I was a little disappointed that Omar (Michael K. Williams, supposedly the leader of the black faction of AC) was only in one scene in the opener. Can't wait for more of him.

-I love Steve Buscemi but was I the only one that thought his performance left a little something to be desired? Hard to imagine thin, sickly, Steve Buscemi as this imposing crime figure. Though based on the previews for the next episode, I don't think he'll have a problem showing his imposing side.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby jb » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:56 am

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:Great premier. Setup everything for the rest of the story perfectly. Little predictable but what isn't these days.

Couple things:
-I was a little disappointed that Omar (Michael K. Williams, supposedly the leader of the black faction of AC) was only in one scene in the opener. Can't wait for more of him.

-I love Steve Buscemi but was I the only one that thought his performance left a little something to be desired? Hard to imagine thin, sickly, Steve Buscemi as this imposing crime figure. Though based on the previews for the next episode, I don't think he'll have a problem showing his imposing side.

I see his character as shady and ethically ambiguous as he had the wife beater offed. IOW, right in the SB wheelhouse.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:27 am

It started out a bit slow. The Al Capone part was pretty cool. I'm not very familiar with the back story of Prohibition-era Atlantic City or the mob's involvement and bootleggers and all that, so it can be a little tough to follow. But, towards the end, I thought the show got really interesting. I think as more character development comes through and the guys are more recognizable, the show will get better.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:25 pm

swerb wrote:Can't wait.

Also ... Bill Burr's new comedy special debuts at 11 PM on Comedy Central tonight. Saw him perform the same show at Hilarities ... it is absolutely hysterical.
Thought that special at 11 was great, love the bit about angry guy's eulogy and how being a mommy is the hardest job in the world. Good stuff.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Yeah it's the whole moral ambiguity angle the network had with Tony Soprano and Al Swearengen. Sometimes you hated them. alot of times you cheered for them.

Buscemi's performance was solid imo.

I love that they covered the murder of Jim Colisimo, as that started the rise of the Torio gang into serious serious bootlegging.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:04 pm

HBO has already picked the show up for a second season.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/09/ ... nd-season/
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:13 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Yeah it's the whole moral ambiguity angle the network had with Tony Soprano and Al Swearengen. Sometimes you hated them. alot of times you cheered for them.

I love that they covered the murder of Jim Colisimo, as that started the rise of the Torio gang into serious serious bootlegging.

That's ColOsimo, bro.

I'm actually related to him.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:18 pm

JCoz wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Yeah it's the whole moral ambiguity angle the network had with Tony Soprano and Al Swearengen. Sometimes you hated them. alot of times you cheered for them.

That's ColOsimo, bro.

I'm actually related to him.

Italians, man. You guys just use too many vowels.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:10 am

Not sure if you cats have been following this show, but fucking wow. A little slow through the first few, but this week's episode was excellent.

Great, great acting. The story is picking up fast, but the foundation had to be laid. Michael Pitt and Steve Buschemi are doing a fantastic job.

Catch up on the episodes.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby jack_tors » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:24 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Not sure if you cats have been following this show, but fucking wow. A little slow through the first few, but this week's episode was excellent.

Great, great acting. The story is picking up fast, but the foundation had to be laid. Michael Pitt and Steve Buschemi are doing a fantastic job.

Catch up on the episodes.

+1, fills the Sunday night void left by Mad Men ending nicely. I am a big fan of all the characters in this show and although I know where this ends up, the ride to the resolution is still entertaining as hell.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:22 pm

Been following since Day 1. Fantastic show.

I really, really, really hate Nucky's first woman. The stupid bitch. The original Jersey Shore whore.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:34 pm

The show's been getting better and better after the first few episodes slowly built up the backstory. Loving everything about it except for the lack of screen time for Chalky. Though when he gets onscreen, he more than makes up for it. The bookcase speech was masterful showing of the constrained rage that is pent up inside Chalky. The Michael's (Pitt and Shannon) are both making these characters their own and doing it fantastically. The last episode with Jimmy's new buddy might have been the best one.

And Buscemi is growing on me as Nucky but I'm still not quite sold on him as this powerful man. Probably my own fault since I looked up details on the real Nucky Johnson and read that he was really almost 6 and a half feet tall in real life but I see him more as a weasely little politician than the powerful force he was in reality. Still, just a minor quibble for me in what is otherwise a great show and I can't wait to watch it every Sunday.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby swerb » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:34 pm

This show has been outstanding in my view. Really enjoy it. Acting has been off the charts good. Dude who plays Jimmy has been outstanding. As has Buscemi. And the guy that plays his brother Eli as well.

A lot of very interesting characters that they've developed well. Good storylines. Has the Scorcese feel. And excellent acting.

Been a big fan.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby mitch » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:41 pm

This is going to be one hell of a finale.

Really thought Agent Van Alden was going to off himself after drowning the other agent. Don't see how he gets away with that one...I'm expecting him to try to kamikaze himself at Nucky next week.

Get the feeling they'll be a truce between Nucky and Rothstein due to the insistance of Chicago...but lots of other fireworks waiting for next week.
mitch

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Toothlessburger

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:33 am

Yeah, the finale looks like it's going to be great. I love the show so far.

I hope you're wrong about Van Alden taking a kamikaze run at Nucky. I told my wife that he's become my favorite character. He's just so creepy and weird. With each passing episode they have revealed more of just how completely fucked in the head that guy is, but he's also smart. He's a great nemesis and I doubt they could ever find a replacement on the law side who I find so compelling and interesting. I don't want him to go away. I love that guy right now.

I also enjoy the Phantom of the Opera guy and the way he's decided to play that character.

With Dabney Coleman looking like he's going to recover, Jimmy looking for more power, Rothstein heading for Chicago, and Eli being a brother scorned...there is a lot of shit going on right now.

Lot of things happening. Lot of strands in ole Duder's head.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:01 pm

I also enjoy the Phantom of the Opera guy and the way he's decided to play that character.

He's fantastic. One week he's protecting/scaring Margaret and her children while trying to relieve their fears of his mask and then the next week just delivers this line so coldly: "I would kill the mother.... the sisters.... the dentist. That would make them pop their heads out." You can feel the emptiness inside that has taken over since he lost his face.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby swerb » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:58 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:

He's fantastic. One week he's protecting/scaring Margaret and her children while trying to relieve their fears of his mask and then the next week just delivers this line so coldly: "I would kill the mother.... the sisters.... the dentist. That would make them pop their heads out." You can feel the emptiness inside that has taken over since he lost his face.

Totally agree. Great character. :thumb up:

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:31 pm

Caught up on the last episode yesterday night. You guys are spot on. Richard Harrow (phantom guy) was awesome last night. And awesome when Margret was reading to the kids a few episodes ago.

Van Alden has me puzzled. He needs to stay on as a character, but how he gets out of that murder is beyond me.

The acting on this show is amazing. I like Michael Pitt (Jimmy) better than Dex for best actor. Or is he technically supporting actor? Not a weak link on the cast.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:33 pm

This is as good as TV gets.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby swerb » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:46 pm

The dude playing Jimmy has been off the charts good. First couple episodes, remember thinking he could be weak. That Marty got himself a Leo look alike without the chops.

Dude has the chops. Hes been outstanding in this role. Out-freaking-standing.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:01 pm

Michael Pitt has been solid in just about everything i've seen him in. He was impressive and down right creepy in Funny Games, he has Darmody down stone cold. They just went out and got damn good actors, no big names (unless you consider Buscemi a big name).

I'm curious to see what comes up in season 2, will they get into the feud between Dion O'Banion and Johnny Torio?

I love me some HBO dramas.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby swerb » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:16 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Michael Pitt has been solid in just about everything i've seen him in. He was impressive and down right creepy in Funny Games, he has Darmody down stone cold. They just went out and got damn good actors, no big names (unless you consider Buscemi a big name).

I'm curious to see what comes up in season 2, will they get into the feud between Dion O'Banion and Johnny Torio?

I love me some HBO dramas.

That's right .... totally forgot he was in Funny Games. Another great role from him.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:21 am

Mitch called the Nucky/Rothstein truce. They totally glossed over the Van Alden murder.

The twist though ... it wasn't Jimmy's hot mom that poisoned the Commodore. It was Nucky, via the maid.

Sets up a battle royale in season two between the Darmodys and Eli vs Nucky.

Great show. Great opening season.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture