Text Size

No Holds Barred

No more San Fransisco treats

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

No more San Fransisco treats

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:02 pm

You know the story, SF wanted to ban toys from Happy Meals or other fast food marketing if the product(s) was not nutritionally upgraded. Well the Mayor Newsome (an otherwise POS) vetoed the bill and law makers voted to override the veto.

What are your thoughts on the government telling a company what they can and cannot put in their food marketing campaign or intervening in a parents way of feeding their child?

I've totally flip flopped on this, at first I saw this as typical government interference and all that BS and didn't like this one bit. Then after I stepped back and took it all in context I have to say I am more for this than against. I see all the differing POVs, but at the EOD I do not see this as forcing any parent to do anything (or spend their money in any particular way). I see it as the government taking some action for a very serious health concern (both now and for the future) in terms of obesity, and with the ever changing HC climate and the always rising HC costs, you could say it was over due.

I don't see rights being tramples on here, I do not see choice being taken out of the hands of parents either. More than anything I see this as some decision makers saying look mom and dad you've been told for years to watch out for this crap and you're not getting it done and the kids and the rest of the country are going to suffer for it soon. Also see it as a bit of a hit on the marketing approach of a giant that can legitimately be considered preying on uneducated innocent minds to a point.

We'll see if these joints improve their menus due to this.

Plus we have't argued with each other in awhile, so :fu:
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: No more San Fransisco treats

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:28 pm

Parents are supposed to Parent. The only way to stop getting kids to eat McDonalds is by not letting it taste so damn good. It isnt as if the toys are arsenic, they aren't the problem, the food is. Only an idiot or a lazy person feeds their kids McDonalds more than occasionally. If it is part of a child's regular diet then taking the toy away doesn't mean shit anyway.

Off Topic:
Can't believe I haven't snagged a McRib yet, maybe I will grab one at lunch. That thing is so damn good. I do admit the fake bones freak me out a bit though
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:12 pm

FUDU wrote:What are your thoughts on the government telling a company what they can and cannot put in their food marketing campaign or intervening in a parents way of feeding their child?

Whole lotta fat kids running around. Poor, fat kids. Guess who foots the bill when they develop diabetes at 25? Or have a heart attack at 40? There should be skull and cross bones on Big Macs, just like cigarettes. If Joe Camel gets burned at the stake, so should Ronald and his hetero-lifemate Grimace.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:19 pm

I can agree with that Erie, but it is a tad bit deeper than that with this case.

You know how easy it probably is to put a McD's out of business. Hell Chipotle could do it, except they are owned by McD's.

Just make healthier food, that tastes good most times (let's face it McD's doesn't once you reach adulthood) and get it out the door in a relatively quick fashion...McD's has none of that.

FUDU

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:29 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
FUDU wrote:What are your thoughts on the government telling a company what they can and cannot put in their food marketing campaign or intervening in a parents way of feeding their child?

Whole lotta fat kids running around. Poor, fat kids. Guess who foots the bill when they develop diabetes at 25? Or have a heart attack at 40? There should be skull and cross bones on Big Macs, just like cigarettes. If Joe Camel gets burned at the stake, so should Ronald and his hetero-lifemate Grimace.

Toys, Grimace, Ronald McDonald, Dora the Explorer action figures, all of it is diverting attention from the real issue. I dont see any 6 year olds pulling through the drive through.

Educate or put a 18 year old limit on it like cigarettes. More education would be my preference, however, there are legit issues of whether the cost could somehow justify it, just can't imagine anything that drastic could ever be implemented. However, everything else is at best a band-aid.

Two options, you either some how convince parents that a steady diet of garbage isn't healthy or you straight up don't allow them to do it. Neither are all that practical so put me in the corner of banning toys and mascots as pointless.

But hey, at least they will all have their health insurance footed by our tax dollars.

If someone was serious about obesity in this country they would start looking at the corn subsidies and look to take that money away from producing HFCS and other garbage to making broccoli, spinach and apples the more affordable choice. We not only fund effect (their health insurance), but also the cause (market imbalances that push people towards unhealthy choices).

Ever shopped for produce at a Heinens, Safeway, or Giant Eagle? Cost 3.99 sometimes for a Red Pepper. Shit, I can get 2 Big Macs for that.

Glad that here in hippieland we have grocery stores that have much cheaper and reasonable produce.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:31 pm

FUDU wrote:
Hell Chipotle could do it, except they are owned by McD's.

Not anymore. Divested in 2006.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:34 pm

Sorry for the triple post.

Found this article

http://www.grist.org/article/food-2010- ... d-choices/

One important thing for consumers to note is that in 2009, $15.4 billion in subsidies were lavished on the growers of corn, cotton, rice, wheat, and soybeans. In that same year, fruits, vegetables, and organics received only $825 million in support from the federal government. And that money doesn't go directly into fruit and vegetable growers' pockets, but mostly goes toward procurement for schools, research and market promotion programs.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby pup » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:39 pm

FUDU wrote:I can agree with that Erie, but it is a tad bit deeper than that with this case.

You know how easy it probably is to put a McD's out of business. Hell Chipotle could do it, except they are owned by McD's.

Just make healthier food, that tastes good most times (let's face it McD's doesn't once you reach adulthood) and get it out the door in a relatively quick fashion...McD's has none of that.

Blasphemy.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:45 pm

Good points Ziner, I think either way this is a worthwhile almost needed approach and a message toward parents and the convenience food industry. It says get your act together to both, and if by some stroke of luck it helps save me/us money in the long haul then I'm for it right now.

FUDU

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:08 pm

You're all fucking nuts. Just take away this or that, its for their own good. Put a skull and crossbones on beer/alcohol. Fuck the Browns sucking probably cause some homocides, ban them.

Forget slippery slope, shit is already bumping the bottom of one hill ready for another.

Fun part below...

Just let fat people die. That will slow thier obesity.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:30 pm

Orenthal wrote:You're all fucking nuts. Just take away this or that, its for their own good. Put a skull and crossbones on beer/alcohol. Fuck the Browns sucking probably cause some homocides, ban them.

Forget slippery slope, shit is already bumping the bottom of one hill ready for another.

Fun part below...

Just let fat people die. That will slow thier obesity.

I agree with OJ.

Take electricity out of houses because some fucktard likes licking light sockets.

You know how I get my kids to not eat McDonalds? I don't fucking take 'em there and I tell them and teach them why.

Incidentally it's the same reason none of my kids has taken any of my guns and shot themselves, each other or neighbors yet.

Jesus. We are doomed as a society and as a civilization at this pace.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:43 pm

Everyone is just too accepting of letting other people do their thinking and decision making for them. There's no accountability to the parents. As Peeker said, you don't want them to have it, don't introduce it.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:00 pm

There's a million shitty parents that won't even know this happened.

The government ain't sending a signal to any of these shitty parents, just like teachers are unable to send signals to shitty parents.

Replace shitty parents and a whole lot would change. Kids would be healthier, better educated and self sufficient.

Fucking horrible parents are ruining this country. Fat, dieing kids are just another off-shoot.

Ferfucksake the parent that is unable to stop the hypnotism of a happy meal toy from careening their childs health downhill.

90%.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:43 pm

I think a lot of opponents to this are oblivious to the fact we are already past the point odf no return whith regards to the let em die or let parents be parents arguments, if not oblivious then just flat out obtuse.

We already bailed out every Tom, Dick & Leroy from their poor choices in housing, at the expense of everyone else (including those who do/did it right). So if I personally have to get behind a political move like this for the hope and sake of future HC in this country then so the fuck be it. Either this or let us opt out of paying for other people's mistakes, if not then fuck everyone and their mothers if they cannot choose what their fat fuck kids want to eat.

Fuck peoples choices when they aren't making any worth a damn.

FUDU

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:07 am

FUDU wrote:I think a lot of opponents to this are oblivious to the fact we are already past the point odf no return whith regards to the let em die or let parents be parents arguments, if not oblivious then just flat out obtuse.

We already bailed out every Tom, Dick & Leroy from their poor choices in housing, at the expense of everyone else (including those who do/did it right). So if I personally have to get behind a political move like this for the hope and sake of future HC in this country then so the fuck be it. Either this or let us opt out of paying for other people's mistakes, if not then fuck everyone and their mothers if they cannot choose what their fat fuck kids want to eat.

My point is that it's futile.

It's been determined more than a few times, some very publically, that too much of that shit could KILL you.

If that fact hasn't harmed sales yet, I highly doubt eliminating a toy is going to shake people conscious.

Every kid has parents. And nobody can subsitute for them. Especially, as has been proven over and over again, the government.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:24 am

FUDU wrote:I think a lot of opponents to this are oblivious to the fact we are already past the point odf no return whith regards to the let em die or let parents be parents arguments, if not oblivious then just flat out obtuse.

Quick question FUDU: what'd you eat the other night at the old Buffalo meeting?

You mind if I eliminate that as an option?

Why or why not?

;-) ;) :wink:

Don't tell me how to bring up my kids. That's on me. And don't eliminate options because some parents don't do their jobs. Or eliminate every fucking option til I feel it's fair.

Deal?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby dmiles » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:49 am

Just do-gooder San Franciscan's showing us all up.

Trying to do my thing to keep the kids from getting fat. Meat, Veggies, Meat, veggies, some fruit and keep the grains based stuff to bare minimum. Even school lunches you almost have to make them a sandwich. At least once a week it seems like we are rushed and end up buying some kind of crap. If we happen to get McD, I just insist on no fries. I'd rather seem them eat two quarter pounders, but even there the meat is probably some soy-laden shit, and not real food.

Shelf based food with low-fat on the box is almost guaranteed to be just as bad for you. Kids are fat because the low-fat lobby won years ago, and most of the dollars are thrown at agri-business (HFCS, Corn etc.) If you aren't cooking them meat and veggies at every meal (real food) then it's probably just as shitty as KFC. I think kids being fat is a direct result of too much sugar, the HFCS issues, and too many carbs that aren't from vegetable matter (fruit to an extent is ok, but eating a whole bag of grapes gets your insulin rev'd up).

The simple-minded do-gooders put way too much blame on fast food, when it's likely that almost everything in these people's homes isn't much better. Sounds like symbolic BS if you ask me.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:55 am

leadpipe wrote:

My point is that it's futile.

It's been determined more than a few times, some very publically, that too much of that shit could KILL you.

If that fact hasn't harmed sales yet, I highly doubt eliminating a toy is going to shake people conscious.

Every kid has parents. And nobody can subsitute for them. Especially, as has been proven over and over again, the government.
It may or may not be Lead, I won't even argue that point. Then let some of the rest of us opt out of saving the other of the rest of us's asses. Besides nobody is losing ANY choices here or any options, it is just a toy, the parents can get it somewhere else.

FUDU

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:01 am

peeker643 wrote:

Quick question FUDU: what'd you eat the other night at the old Buffalo meeting?

You mind if I eliminate that as an option?

Why or why not?

Don't tell me how to bring up my kids. That's on me. And don't eliminate options because some parents don't do their jobs. Or eliminate every fucking option til I feel it's fair.

Deal?

I had onion rings, notice how I didn't eat em all?

Take em off the menu, no sweat off my back, I'll either get something else or I won't eat anything there. Those would be my choices at that establishment, onion rings aren't a right, nor is a toy with a crap ass shit burger, right?

I'm not telling you how to raise your kids no more than you are personally forcing me to pay more money in my HC insurance.

Hell ban the sale of PS 2's and 3's in the name of good health for all I care, with the black market that would arise I'd be the richest MoFo on the planet with the amount of gaming stuff I have.

I do love how it is everyone else's families that eat at McD's though and not ours.

FUDU

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:11 am

FUDU wrote:
Take em off the menu, no sweat off my back, I'll either get something else or I won't eat anything there. Those would be my choices at that establishment, onion rings aren't a right, nor is a toy with a crap ass shit burger, right?

Onion rings arent a right, but do you want Uncle Sam approving the menu at every restaurant? That seems like what you are implying. Govt tells us what it acceptable and that is what is served. You cant be saying that are you?

FUDU wrote:
I do love how it is everyone else's families that eat at McD's though and not ours.

I eat at McDonalds, I freaking love it, but I eat at it like once every two months tops. I also work out 6 times a week and usually end up skiing or hiking on my day off. Eating McDonalds isn't a bad thing, you can have a healthy lifestyle and eat it occasionally.

Don't take away my Double Cheeseburger with Supersized fries because other people are lazy and fat. They could work it off if they wanted.

Besides I could argue that many meals at McDonalds have fewer calories than a meal at Chipotle, and I know someone here loves it there.

For instance, my Burrito, Chips and Guac tonight came in at 1785 calories and 81 grams of fat.

http://www.chipotlefan.com/index.php?id ... calculator

But it is all natural so it doesn't count right??? I should work off a nice chunk of that tomorrow during my 5K though.

Happy Thanksgiving all, enjoy your tofurkey!!! :cheers:
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:25 am

Ziner wrote:
FUDU wrote:

Onion rings arent a right, but do you want Uncle Sam approving the menu at every restaurant? That seems like what you are implying. Govt tells us what it acceptable and that is what is served. You cant be saying that are you?

FUDU wrote:

I eat at McDonalds, I freaking love it, but I eat at it like once every two months tops. I also work out 6 times a week and usually end up skiing or hiking on my day off. Eating McDonalds isn't a bad thing, you can have a healthy lifestyle and eat it occasionally.

Don't take away my Double Cheeseburger with Supersized fries because other people are lazy and fat. They could work it off if they wanted.

Besides I could argue that many meals at McDonalds have fewer calories than a meal at Chipotle, and I know someone here loves it there.

For instance, my Burrito, Chips and Guac tonight came in at 1785 calories and 81 grams of fat.

http://www.chipotlefan.com/index.php?id ... calculator

But it is all natural so it doesn't count right??? I should work off a nice chunk of that tomorrow during my 5K though.

Happy Thanksgiving all, enjoy your tofurkey!!! :cheers:
No I am not suggesting government control over all menus, but that is not what is happening here either to my knowledge. From my understanding McD's will not be able to offer toys with certain meals anymore UNLESS they up their game and up the nutritional value of said meals. I know 6yr olds don't pull up in the drive through, but 11, 12 and 13 year olds most certainly go to McD's on their own. Please direct me to the rights being violated with this ruling and the options being taken away from us, b/c frankly I don't see any sign of that happening. Has it got that bad that we are to the point we think McD's is a right.

This is part what is in McD's food and part how McD's market to an unsuspecting audience of lifers.

As far as Chipotle's puhlease, it has been shown time and time again how healthy that damn food is. Lots of calories, sure, but calories aren't just what does you in. There isn't a meal at McD's that can compare nutritionally with Chipotles in regards to how healthy the food and ingredients are.

I'm just not giving any sympathy out anymore, none left to give out. So they ban the toys, ooh well, ban McD's or Chic Fil A for all I care, hell ban Christmas, you wanna talk about putting money back into people's pockets, our kids are spoiled anyway.

Like I said already, let me opt out of saving other's asses and we'll call it even.

Happy Turkey Day.

FUDU

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:35 am

FUDU wrote: Lots of calories, sure, but calories aren't just what does you in.

Sure about that?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/tw ... index.html
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:40 am

Ziner wrote:
FUDU wrote: Lots of calories, sure, but calories aren't just what does you in.

Sure about that?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/tw ... index.html
Absotively!

I take in 3500-4000 calories on any given day of the week, I am fine in regards to weight, body fat, heart rate and cholesterol.

Just an FYI: the actual ordinance.
http://www.npr.org/assets/blogs/health/images/2010/11/healthymlsdig3.pdf

FUDU

Unread postby jerryroche » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:48 am

Nobody here is seeing the big picture.

When the government takes over total control of health care in this country in 2014, the bureaucracy will have the legal power to dictate what you can’t eat, what you can’t drink, and what you can’t smoke -- all in the name of saving the government’s health care dollars so that all the previously uninsured can head to the emergency room for every friggin’ hangnail.

If you’re fine with no toys in Happy Meals, are you also fine with New York outlawing sugary soft drinks or the feds sticking a 100% or 200% tax on Jack Daniels? Don’t laugh: the New York thing is happening now, and stiffer restrictions will follow if Obamacare stands.

These incremental infringements on our personal freedoms are setting terrible legal precedents that do not bode well for our future. Sure, they're small steps ... but they're steps in the wrong direction.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Ol' No.23

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:12 am

Ol' No.11 wrote:Nobody here is seeing the big picture.

When the government takes over total control of health care in this country in 2014, the bureaucracy will have the legal power to dictate what you can’t eat, what you can’t drink, and what you can’t smoke -- all in the name of saving the government’s health care dollars so that all the previously uninsured can head to the emergency room for every friggin’ hangnail.

If you’re fine with no toys in Happy Meals, are you also fine with New York outlawing sugary soft drinks or the feds sticking a 100% or 200% tax on Jack Daniels? Don’t laugh: the New York thing is happening now, and stiffer restrictions will follow if Obamacare stands.

These incremental infringements on our personal freedoms are setting terrible legal precedents that do not bode well for our future. Sure, they're small steps ... but they're steps in the wrong direction.
Believe me I feel yeah and am often of that attitude, this goes against 90% of my perspective on government intervention and my political mantra.

I'm looking at it from a priority stand point. From my understanding obesity is the second leading cause of preventable death, behind only smoking. Due to by pass smoking as number one within 10-20 years and blow by it big time.

To Ziner, just to give you more insight to my line of thinking here. You're in education correct? Over 60% of my property tax supposedly goes to the school systems here in NEO. Now I do not have children, probably never will, so I am paying into a system I will personally not use, ever. One could argue the benefits I will receive from that system regardless. Would you agree with those two previous sentences? I am forced to pay the property tax, I do not have a choice on the matter as a land owner in this county. One could argue that I will see a benefit to my property taxes in the school system b/c it is beneficial to society as a whole, right?, common sense to a point, no? Would you personally think it be fair for any individual to be able to opt out of the 60+% of their property tax that goes into the schools?

Now apply that thinking to getting behind this SF ruling, it would be could be should be beneficial to all of society no?

FUDU

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:23 am

There is no excuse for feeding your children trash. Teach them to cook. If Darwin had his way, most of us would be childless. For the better, I might add.

WAR eating fat, slow kids. And their parents.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:10 am

FYI Donny- My kids eat occasionally at McD's. I'm saying that they understand that shit isn't good for you on a regular basis any more than Dairy Queen is. But I take my kids for ice cream too.

It's about moderation dude. And no amount of government involvement or toy removal is going to fix what's wrong.

Personally if they wanna implode every McD's on the planet I'm good. Can't bring myself to eat it anymore and it actually makes me ill if I do.

And their coffee isn't even as good as it used to be.

BTW- I would like to open up a restaurant that serves nothingbut salads.

The 'Saladium' would be kicking. I'd also make sure to offer plenty of cheese, sour cream and fatty ranch and blue cheese dressings so that those eating a 'healthy' Chipotle diet could eat a 'healthy' salad.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:53 am

peeker643 wrote:FYI Donny- My kids eat occasionally at McD's. I'm saying that they understand that shit isn't good for you on a regular basis any more than Dairy Queen is. But I take my kids for ice cream too.

It's about moderation dude. And no amount of government involvement or toy removal is going to fix what's wrong.

Personally if they wanna implode every McD's on the planet I'm good. Can't bring myself to eat it anymore and it actually makes me ill if I do.

And their coffee isn't even as good as it used to be.

BTW- I would like to open up a restaurant that serves nothingbut salads.

The 'Saladium' would be kicking. I'd also make sure to offer plenty of cheese, sour cream and fatty ranch and blue cheese dressings so that those eating a 'healthy' Chipotle diet could eat a 'healthy' salad.

Chipoltle is hardly healthy. Portion size alone....

Better than "total shit" but hardly "healthy."

You Could go to Chipoltle and eat reasonably healthy. You could go to Starbucks and start your day reasonably as well, instead of a whip cream topped 2,000 calorie latte, or to a bagel shop and start healthy - until you pile bacon, sausage and cheese on to the bagel.

Again, impossible to hold peoples hands. Again, informing them it's deadly hasn't helped a huge group of people to this point. If that's not warning enough - tough shit.

You and I are going to pay their medical bills either way.

The thoughts nice, LP just ain't into wasting time.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:33 pm

The Chipotle's is unhealthy "b/c it huge" arguments are borderline ignorant. No offense of course. You can get an awesome burrito there for 500 calories (even less), not a dangerously high caloric meal what so ever, and sure you can also get one with 1200+. Salt is Chiptole's top flaw in ingredients otherwise it is traditionally considered very healthy food they serve (yeah you want find fruit there, big whoop. Context.

Calories are not evil, not even bad.

This goes deeper than just this surface talk about personal accountability and menu choices though.

Just a side note about McD's in general though, there is a great misconception about who eats there more often than others and why. People love to believe the $4.50 value meal (or dollar menu) they offer sucks in the poor and lower class (which it can and does) but the more frequent visitors of McD's are: men (v. women), HS diploma and college educated, people with higher incomes and larger households like 4 or 5 or more. You know who visits McD's less than all them, people with income levels at poverty level or below. In way it is both surprising and not surprising I guess.

FYI update, I guess obesity is the leading cause of preventable death now.
http://www.examiner.com/science-news-in-denver/research-confirms-obesity-is-now-leading-cause-of-preventable-death-u-s

I understand all the arguments against this ordinance but if a country like ours is going to almost force feed this national HC reform stuff down our throats (and we are all going to be forced to throw our money in a giant collection basket to tackle our collective HC needs), then this approach only makes sense if we are to remain... intellectuality honest.

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:59 pm

STFU about Chipotle, DU. That's all you ever talk about, Chipotle this, Chipotle that. Fucking hell, man.

Erie Warrior wrote:Whole lotta fat kids running around. Poor, fat kids. Guess who foots the bill when they develop diabetes at 25? Or have a heart attack at 40? There should be skull and cross bones on Big Macs, just like cigarettes. If Joe Camel gets burned at the stake, so should Ronald and his hetero-lifemate Grimace.

All these fat kids are gonna strain our insulin supply.

And FTR nobody gives a shit what San Francisco does, NOBODY. People crowing and clucking about "dat damn Gubmint screwin with our lives" should fuck off.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:38 pm

Donny- After you stfu about Chipotle could you do the same on the intellectual honesty shit? Here's my intellectual honesty regardless of your 'research': I don't fucking eat McDonalds regardless of what your demographics say and my kids eatc it rarely enough.
Go burn some books and leave my Mocha McCafe shit alone. And dude, a Chipotle argument in a healthy food choices thread? Shake yourself brother.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:47 pm

The fact it has orginated in SanFran pretty much sums up that it is retarded. If I want to take my kids to McDonald's and get that damn happy meal I should be able to. As a kid my parents rarely bought us a Happy Meal, but when we did something mediocre they would ocassionaly treat us and it felt great.

FUDU's argument is basically sit back and enjoy it... Erie wants all kids to eat soy fag burgers (just being descriptive, don't take it the wrong way), all I am saying is what every happened to a properly portioned meal? My entire life I had meals of meat, starch, and veggies. The fact it is well known that that moderation is healthy (along with exercise) and that pigging out on McDonalds and soda and chips will make you fat should preclude government interference.

Fuck fat people as much as you fucking do gooders. I don't want to eat your tasteless shit, or run till my lungs are on fire. Stay the fuck away from me and my moderation, and minimal exercise.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:55 pm

On Thanksgiving this shit is just a total buzzkill. War Sweetest Day and Black Friday! Yet, Skull and Crossbones for Thanksgiving???

...but Chipotle raises its food responsibly. Next thing you know no more beans, rice, sour cream, or burrito. Just slop the low fat soy meat into your hand and eat.
Orenthal

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:00 pm

Erie wants all kids to eat soy fag burgers

This made me laugh.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:02 pm

Can't we just ban chips and soda OJ? And salt? Hydrogenated oil? And cars too please. :nanner:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:07 pm

I don't think i've had McDonalds in years. They don't even serve beer.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:02 pm

OJ: nobody is prohibiting anyone from getting happy meal. Kids just aren't getting a toy reward for their parents retardation for taking them there anymore.

Peeker: chicken, rice, some veggies, how is that unhealthy...

CDT: smoke up Johnny!

ETA: I get not wanting the government involved with what we "can and can't" eat, but remember that when bitching about a welfare/food stamp recipient and what they "should and shouldn't" be allowed to purchase at the grocery store. Nobody, even here has any problem with that though... ::rolleyes::

FUDU

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:30 pm

FUDU wrote:The Chipotle's is unhealthy "b/c it huge" arguments are borderline ignorant. No offense of course. You can get an awesome burrito there for 500 calories (even less), not a dangerously high caloric meal what so ever, and sure you can also get one with 1200+. Salt is Chiptole's top flaw in ingredients otherwise it is traditionally considered very healthy food they serve (yeah you want find fruit there, big whoop. Context.

Calories are not evil, not even bad.

This goes deeper than just this surface talk about personal accountability and menu choices though.

Just a side note about McD's in general though, there is a great misconception about who eats there more often than others and why. People love to believe the $4.50 value meal (or dollar menu) they offer sucks in the poor and lower class (which it can and does) but the more frequent visitors of McD's are: men (v. women), HS diploma and college educated, people with higher incomes and larger households like 4 or 5 or more. You know who visits McD's less than all them, people with income levels at poverty level or below. In way it is both surprising and not surprising I guess.

FYI update, I guess obesity is the leading cause of preventable death now.
http://www.examiner.com/science-news-in-denver/research-confirms-obesity-is-now-leading-cause-of-preventable-death-u-s

I understand all the arguments against this ordinance but if a country like ours is going to almost force feed this national HC reform stuff down our throats (and we are all going to be forced to throw our money in a giant collection basket to tackle our collective HC needs), then this approach only makes sense if we are to remain... intellectuality honest.

What's borderline ignorant is thinking more than 10% of the people that go in there on any given day are eating a 500 calorie meal.

That's the point FUDU, they COULD eat somewhat healthy there, but they don't, knowing in advance the ramifications.

Again, if potential death don't scare you, taking away a toy ain't scarin' you.

And, by the way, have you ever seen them prepare the rice?
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:50 pm

Let me know when Chipotle's is handing out child oriented incentives with their food.

Chipotle's Basmati Rice Recipe

Recipe #1 1 teaspoon vegetable oil or butter
2 tsp. fresh cilantro
2/3 cup white basmati rice
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Lime

In a 2-quart heavy saucepan, heat oil or butter over low heat, stirring occasionally until melted. Add rice and lime juice, stir for 1 minute. Add water and salt, bring to a full rolling boil. At boiling, cover, turn down to simmer over low heat until rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork.

As I mentioned before this is a little deeper than just a menu, ingredients and the choices of "educated" people. It is the all encompassing circumstances surrounding the issue of obesity and ways to go about fighting it AND the approach taken by places such as McD's in marketing their product, to adults and children. But you keep on trying to compare McD's ingredients and food to Chipotle's if it makes you feel better...

This whole thing isn't all that different from tobacco & the wide spread concern for the health risks it caused and causes.

Time for nap 2.

FUDU

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:59 pm

The toy is what makes it Happy. Otherwise it is an a burger and fries... This gets into telling a private company what they can and can't sell/promote. I'm sorry, but on this topic I am consistent.

That toy can't hurt you, and unless you're chaining Happy Meal's neither can the food. FUDU we should take your computer away, cuz on this topic you're killing me...
Orenthal

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:00 pm

Do you fuckin' own Chipotle stock or some shit?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:06 pm

FUDU wrote:OJ: nobody is prohibiting anyone from getting happy meal. Kids just aren't getting a toy reward for their parents retardation for taking them there anymore.

Peeker: chicken, rice, some veggies, how is that unhealthy...

CDT: smoke up Johnny!

ETA: I get not wanting the government involved with what we "can and can't" eat, but remember that when bitching about a welfare/food stamp recipient and what they "should and shouldn't" be allowed to purchase at the grocery store. Nobody, even here has any problem with that though... ::rolleyes::

Dude, you should order the Chipotle Straw Man combo next time you go in there.

I get ya. There's no one in Chipotle ordering the 10 vats of queso they go through each day, the 10 tubs of sour cream that get eaten or the 75lbs of shredded cheese.

Just like no one goes to McDonalds and gets a salad everyone eats a moderately sized portion of chicken, rice and veggies at Chipotle.

I'm sure you go with the healthyiest of otions: ;-) ;) :wink:

A Center for Science in the Public Interest report stated that Chipotle's burritos contain over 1,000 calories, which is nearly equivalent to two meals' worth of food.[45][46] MSNBC Health placed the burritos on their list of the "20 Worst Foods in America" because of their high caloric content and high sodium.[47] When a burrito with carnitas, rice, vegetables, cheese, guacamole, and salsa was compared with a typical Big Mac, the burrito had more fat, cholesterol, carbohydrates, and sodium than the Big Mac, and the burrito had more protein and fiber.[48] The restaurant has also received praise – Health.com included the restaurant in its list of the "Healthiest Fast Food Restaurants".[49]

You know who did get fat off Chipotle? McDonalds. $300m investment when they owned the place and sold it off at $1.5billion.

I can't believe we're having a 'Chipotle is Healthy' discussion.

Put the toy with a fuckin' McSalad then.

Cuz clearly the removal of the toy broken before the car leaves the parking lot will get the kids and parents back in shape. ::doh:: :lmfao:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:08 pm

Chipotle hands out a fucking tree hugging white guilt message with their food. "Dur this bag is made of post composted recycled fecal matter." The food is eh, and its a bunch of conformist uptight white surburbanites that double fist those death rolls.

Nothing more pathetic then a couple college tards in a tent outside a Chipotle when it first opens.
Orenthal

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:09 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Do you fuckin' own Chipotle stock or some shit?

I'm not gonna lie- It's very 'Rainman'-ish.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:09 pm

I want my gawd damn toy.
Orenthal

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:24 pm

Never stated that people visiting McD's don't get a salad, or everyone at Chipotle's gets 300 calorie stuff, never once.

But talk about straw men, the end of our freedoms is upon us b/c some municipal lawmakers told restaurants they cannot add child oriented incentives to their meals until those meals are nutritionally improved. My God you'd think McDonald's itself was incorporated into the Constitution.

FUDU

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:34 pm

^This was all covered in the first part of the thread.
Orenthal

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:49 pm

Orenthal wrote:^This was all covered in the first part of the thread.

So is that my queue to move on to the recent findings of how food such as we are discussing (fast food, and really bad food in general) has been connected with chemical reactions in the brain that cause normal chemical responses to shut down, which connect to addictions.....no, OK.

FUDU

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:17 pm

Orenthal wrote: Erie wants all kids to eat soy fag burgers (just being descriptive, don't take it the wrong way)

Nice.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:04 am

FUDU wrote:Let me know when Chipotle's is handing out child oriented incentives with their food.

Chipotle's Basmati Rice Recipe

Recipe #1 1 teaspoon vegetable oil or butter
2 tsp. fresh cilantro
2/3 cup white basmati rice
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Lime

In a 2-quart heavy saucepan, heat oil or butter over low heat, stirring occasionally until melted. Add rice and lime juice, stir for 1 minute. Add water and salt, bring to a full rolling boil. At boiling, cover, turn down to simmer over low heat until rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork.

As I mentioned before this is a little deeper than just a menu, ingredients and the choices of "educated" people. It is the all encompassing circumstances surrounding the issue of obesity and ways to go about fighting it AND the approach taken by places such as McD's in marketing their product, to adults and children. But you keep on trying to compare McD's ingredients and food to Chipotle's if it makes you feel better...

This whole thing isn't all that different from tobacco & the wide spread concern for the health risks it caused and causes.

Time for nap 2.

I asked if you've ever SEEN them prepare the rice. Because if you ever have, one thing you can be sure of, it ain't 1 teaspoon of oil or 1 teaspoon of butter. The hig school kids I've seen preparing it usually stop the butter and oil at about 4 glugs.

Which again, is to the overall point, not only shouldn't you go regulary to a fast food joint to eat healthy, you have no REAL idea what is really in that crap. Modern families have substituted many home cooked meals with the easy way out. That simple.

It's really not that hard for a parent to have their child understand that McDonald might be a "special treat" for them, but that they will get sick if they eat too much. On the other hand, it ain't too hard for a parent to know where their 13 year old is at 2:00 am, and that he's not in possession of a gun. But, the latter parents kid will end up dead, and look to blame the evils of the world, and the former parents kid will wind up fat, with social problems and they'll blame fast food joints or the schools.

Personal. Fucking. Responsibility.

Have it. Instill it in your kids. And we aren't worried about some fucking toy.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Next

Return to No Holds Barred