Text Size

No Holds Barred

Skiing

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Skiing

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:05 am

Well it looks like the spotlight thread died a slow painful death. Perhaps I can change the subject and get some heat off Bill for a bit.

Any skiers out there? Any trips planned this winter? Favorite places to ski? Anyone looking to start skiing?

Just got new skis a few weeks ago and a huge annual ski sale out here, pretty pumped to use them. I am sure skiing will be much more enjoyable than the Browns this winter.

They got a bunch of snow up in the mountains around here this week. Attached a picture from the webcam at Arapahoe Basin Ski Resort.
Attachments
abasincam3.jpg
abasincam3.jpg (40.23 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Skiing

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:07 am

LOL, thanks Ziner.

I have never skii'd (sp?) before, but would like to try sometime. Be honest, which is more difficult, skiing or snowboarding?
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:10 am

I have heard the following coined....

Snowboarding is harder to learn and easier to master
Skiing is easier to learn and harder to master

Take it with a grain of salt though, considering I haven't seen snow or a mountain in a decade.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:12 am

Bill the Butcher wrote:LOL, thanks Ziner.

I have never skii'd (sp?) before, but would like to try sometime. Be honest, which is more difficult, skiing or snowboarding?

IMO Skiing is easier to learn, but harder to conquer. However, it appears snowboarding is harder to learn but easier to conquer. I have never spent alot of time on a snowboard.

Since I have a season pass this year I plan to rent a board and give it a day tryout just to make sure I dont like it better than skiing, but from my experience thus far I dont.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:12 am

Bayou Tribe wrote:I have heard the following coined....

Snowboarding is harder to learn and easier to master
Skiing is easier to learn and harder to master

Take it with a grain of salt though, considering I haven't seen snow or a mountain in a decade.

haha, didnt read it before I posted it. I agree with your statement
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:14 am

Hmmmmm, I'm a fast learner, I think I'll give it go when the snow falls. Even though I hate the cold. What's more devastating... wiping out on skis or snowboard? lol
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:16 am

Bill the Butcher wrote:Hmmmmm, I'm a fast learner, I think I'll give it go when the snow falls. Even though I hate the cold. What's more devastating... wiping out on skis or snowboard? lol

Much rather fall from the board than ski's.

Far less likely to tear up a knee on the snowboard.

Now, don't come bitching at me if you try it and end up tearing up a knee.

Is Arapaho near Steamboat??
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:18 am

Bill the Butcher wrote:Hmmmmm, I'm a fast learner, I think I'll give it go when the snow falls. Even though I hate the cold. What's more devastating... wiping out on skis or snowboard? lol

Skis by far. Too many pieces to fly off and hit you in the face. It has to be a pretty special crash for a snowboard to leave your feet. I cant say I have ever seen anyone lose their board. I have taken some nasty falls while doing things on skis I am not capable of doing. I've had the wind knocked out of my by my ski pole, cut my face with my ski and bent my ski pole 90 degrees. If you really get in to it a helmet is a good investment, granted one I have yet to make. However before I ski this year I will.

However, if you just ski to ski, you will likely never have any of these things happen to you.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:18 am

Peeker643 wrote:Is Arapaho near Steamboat??

Closer to Breckenridge and Keystone. You ever ski or board out here?

Edit: It just happens to have the highest base elevation so I figured it had the most snow so that is why I pulled it from there. It is also usually the first to open each year. They stay open until 4th of July.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby boilerdaveb » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:25 am

Yeah, I read that Loveland had already initiated snowmaking like three days earlier than last year. That always kicks of the season for me, when they first open (not that I ever go there).

I have a few trips planned already, Heavenly/Squaw/Kirkwood second week in March (yearly trip); Seven Springs possibly for New Years, plan on skiing somewhere in Washington State in January when I visit my sister in Seattle.

Probably my favorite place to ski, though it gets bashed alot because of crowds, is Heavenly because of the weather and the all night apres. Not the best for boarding, but that doesn't affect me. And the crowds never get me because I avoid weekends and holidays anyways. Ranking the few places I have been, only really started hitting the west three years ago.

1. Heavenly
-love the nightlife, the blue skies, and really adore the glade skiing
-love the poker the most
-have been lucky that I go and get dumped on every year
2. Mammoth
-like the name says, huge and tons and tons of snow when I go every year, like the town as well
3. Breckenridge
-one of my favorite towns, good light weekday crowds, my first trip
4. Squaw
-maybe to hardcore for me, but still entertaining none the less, each time I have gone the conditions blew though
5. Alpine Meadows
-got caught in a blizzard at the top of the bowl with frozen goggles, wet and cold hands. actually thought i might die because i was so cold, really did
6. Keystone
-light crowds, i think i night skied here and that was fun

Places I want to hit the next two years (overlying theme is I like places that dump)
1. Big Sky Montana
2. Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee
3. Vail
4. Telluride
5. Stowe
6. Whistler (though may hit when I visit my sister if I can avoid Olympics)
boilerdaveb

Favorite Player: Melvin Levett
Least Favorite Player: The Big Ticket

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:32 am

boilerdaveb wrote:1. Heavenly
-love the nightlife, the blue skies, and really adore the glade skiing
-love the poker the most
-have been lucky that I go and get dumped on every year
2. Mammoth
-like the name says, huge and tons and tons of snow when I go every year, like the town as well
3. Breckenridge
-one of my favorite towns, good light weekday crowds, my first trip
4. Squaw
-maybe to hardcore for me, but still entertaining none the less, each time I have gone the conditions blew though
5. Alpine Meadows
-got caught in a blizzard at the top of the bowl with frozen goggles, wet and cold hands. actually thought i might die because i was so cold, really did
6. Keystone
-light crowds, i think i night skied here and that was fun

Places I want to hit the next two years (overlying theme is I like places that dump)
1. Big Sky Montana
2. Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee
3. Vail
4. Telluride
5. Stowe
6. Whistler (though may hit when I visit my sister if I can avoid Olympics)

I have been to Lake Tahoe in Sept and drove by all the ski resorts there. It just looks so amazing. Skiing on great mountains with decent snow and the view is just awesome. I would definetely love to make my way out to Tahoe for some skiing.

Breck is a great town, have yet to ski there since this is my first year out here, but certainly one of the better ski towns I have seen. I have the Colorado Pass this year which includes Breck, Keystone, A-Basin, Vail and Beavercreek so I will hit them all up multiple times.

Love your wish list as well. I heard Big Sky is some of the craziest skiing you will find and one of the most challenging mountains out there. Nice pick on Stowe over Killington, went to Killington and was unimpressed, wish I went to Stowe instead.

Also noticed you dont have any Salt Lake resorts on there. Its only about 7 hours from here, I'd love to get up there for a weekend this winter. I heard they have the best snow anywhere.

Edit: It looks like you live in Ohio. For a great weekend trip try hitting up Snowshoe in WV. The mountains is better than seven springs and it is a fun resort. The entire resort is at the top of the mountain, it is pretty unique. Makes it nice in the morning not having to have that first long cold chairlift ride.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:37 am

Ziner wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:Is Arapaho near Steamboat??

Closer to Breckenridge and Keystone. You ever ski or board out here?

Edit: It just happens to have the highest base elevation so I figured it had the most snow so that is why I pulled it from there. It is also usually the first to open each year. They stay open until 4th of July.

Nope. Never out there. I'm a novice. Holiday Valley and Peak & Peak a number of times here but not in a few years. Played ball out there a few times in Steamboat and it's beautiful. And I mean pull the car over to the side of the road and take a picture beautiful in spots.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby General » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:46 am

Both too cold, where is the lodge with the ski bunnies?
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:54 am

General wrote:Both too cold, where is the lodge with the ski bunnies?

Interested now?

Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby boilerdaveb » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:43 pm

I have been to Lake Tahoe in Sept and drove by all the ski resorts there. It just looks so amazing. Skiing on great mountains with decent snow and the view is just awesome. I would definetely love to make my way out to Tahoe for some skiing.

Breck is a great town, have yet to ski there since this is my first year out here, but certainly one of the better ski towns I have seen. I have the Colorado Pass this year which includes Breck, Keystone, A-Basin, Vail and Beavercreek so I will hit them all up multiple times.

Love your wish list as well. I heard Big Sky is some of the craziest skiing you will find and one of the most challenging mountains out there. Nice pick on Stowe over Killington, went to Killington and was unimpressed, wish I went to Stowe instead.

Also noticed you dont have any Salt Lake resorts on there. Its only about 7 hours from here, I'd love to get up there for a weekend this winter. I heard they have the best snow anywhere.

Edit: It looks like you live in Ohio. For a great weekend trip try hitting up Snowshoe in WV. The mountains is better than seven springs and it is a fun resort. The entire resort is at the top of the mountain, it is pretty unique. Makes it nice in the morning not having to have that first long cold chairlift ride.[/quote]

Yeah, I have looked into Snowshoe, it's a decent drive from Columbus. What scares me is the hit or miss of the snow. That is the worst thing about living in Central Ohio. If you try to plan for a trip a month in advance, there is so little guarantee of good conditions down there. It looks great. I tend to hit Holliday Valley because it is about the same drive, but better chance of good snow, though the trail maps are more promising at Snowshoe. Someday I will make it down.

Yeah, I have a friend doing his residency in SLC this winter, and I have thrown around the idea of making a trip out there for it. I hear the powder is the best in Utah. I just am such a big lover of apres ski / nightlife and I hear conflicting things about the activities when the lifts shut down. I had a friend ski Deer Valley last year, and that is suppose to be the pampered resort of pampered resorts...

I have a conference opportunity in Big Sky every year, the only thing holding me back is the flight cost, think I will hit it up March 2011. But I hear the terrain is terrific, and you have the mountain pretty much to yourself. And with the recession, I think this winter it will be even more sparse...which is terrific.

Breckenridge was a blast, and I don't think you could be living in a better place than Colorado. I would be like a kid in a candy store out there with all the choices, Breck, Vail, Steamboat, Telluride, Crested Butte, Snowmass, Winter Park...endless opportunities...live it up! My personal retirement/midlife move spot right now is Reno, because of the lack of state income tax, the sunny skies, the gambling, and Lake Tahoe being 20-50 minutes down the road. Someday...

BTW...this is the March I have planned (guess I am excited so want to share it with everyone)
March 6-11 Arrive Reno and Ski Lake Tahoe
March 17-21 Arrive Vegas for 1st Round of NCAA Tournament
boilerdaveb

Unread postby zimmy623 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:47 pm

Only been to snowshoe once and was not a fan. It was a nice size mountain for the area (in driving distance of ohio) but the snow was not good when i was there and nightlife that I saw was not great.

In driving distance of Cleveland I still think Holiday Valley makes for a nice weekend; Ellecotville is a great town.

Skiing Is Believing!
zimmy623

Unread postby docstank » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:06 pm

I love that you started this thread, big ski fan. I live in Cleveland and try to make it out west as much as I can but not that easy to do anymore with the addition to our family. Driving distance for me, Holiday Valley is the best option in my opinion. From Cleveland it is only another hour or so past Pk n pk and to me there is no comparison between the two. I have always toyed with the idea of driving to snowshoe but have heard mixed reviews, still kicking it around. Drove by Arapahoe when out in the rockies one stay looked very cool, and verticle, although it did not appear to have a lot of choices for types of runs but I cant say for sure because I never put the skies there was just taking a drive. For the first many times in Colorado I was hooked on Winter Park for proximity to denver and it was my first rockies experience..love at first run. Since I have broadened my horizons a bit..I have made out Utah for skiing, did not care for park city for skiing but the town was very cool. I much preferred Alta in Utah for skiing, beautiful and great conditions. My favorite all time to this point is Vail the skiing there is absolutely sick. The front of the mountain has some amazing views and conditions were great, then you have the vast back bowls which absolutely blew my mind. Have not hit B'ridge yet but that and Heavenly are next on the checklist.
Any deals on Colorado resorts for out of staters? Any discounts or suggestions is appreciated.
docstank

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:27 pm

docstank wrote:Any deals on Colorado resorts for out of staters? Any discounts or suggestions is appreciated.

Have a buy one get one free at Copper and Winter on my Great American Beer Festival ticket. I'll mail it to when I am done if you want to use it, Ill have 2. Heres the thing. Copper, Winter Park and Loveland, and a few others have coupons in the Entertainment book. They are fairly decent so if you are going to those places it might be worth to pay the 10 bucks to get it. I am not sure what the prices at ski rental prices are. I know they have discounts, but I am not sure how much.

Other than that, I dont know of a ton of deals. I bought the Colorado Pass for $450 for unlimited skiing at Breck, ABasin, and Keystone with 10 visits to Vail or Beavercreek, but that does you no good. Unless of course you want to come out and ski with me. With that pass I can get 4 tickets to Vail for guests for $49.

Ah, one other place to check if you are going to come out is craigslist. At the ski sales around here the resorts were giving away free lift tickets. ABasin, Loveland, and a few others. If people have a season pass they are most likely just going to sell them. I have a free pass to Loveland that I will probably just give away or sell on there.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:24 pm

Ziner wrote:Well it looks like the spotlight thread died a slow painful death. Perhaps I can change the subject and get some heat off Bill for a bit.

Any skiers out there? Any trips planned this winter? Favorite places to ski? Anyone looking to start skiing?

Just got new skis a few weeks ago and a huge annual ski sale out here, pretty pumped to use them. I am sure skiing will be much more enjoyable than the Browns this winter.

They got a bunch of snow up in the mountains around here this week. Attached a picture from the webcam at Arapahoe Basin Ski Resort.

Ah yes. The legendary A-Basin - the best unknown locals only hill in all of Colorado. I less than fondly remember "skiing" Palavacini - which is kinda like a field of VW Beatles covered with snow on a 45 degree incline. Johnny Mosely I was not. Still, very good times. Hope you guys have a great season this winter.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:58 pm

In Colorado, I've ski'd Wolf Creek (about an hour and a half west of Durango...they get a TON of snow there, though the place is a bit smaller than many of the other resorts...it's not crowded at all unless it's between Christmas and New Years)...I've done Snowmass as well (love the Big Burn...when I went it was fairly crowded, but we went over spring break one year, so that may be why). Those are the only two places I've ski'd out there so far, but I have plans to hit them all, especially if I end up moving out there.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:00 pm

StewieG wrote: Those are the only two places I've ski'd out there so far, but I have plans to hit them all, especially if I end up moving out there.

The real question is, why the hell would you not move out here. I love it.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:23 pm

Ziner wrote:
StewieG wrote: Those are the only two places I've ski'd out there so far, but I have plans to hit them all, especially if I end up moving out there.

The real question is, why the hell would you not move out here. I love it.

Hah, well for now I'm still in school. But I do want to move out there when I'm done. I really like Fort Collins.
StewieG

Unread postby stonepm » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:33 am

Ziner wrote:Well it looks like the spotlight thread died a slow painful death. Perhaps I can change the subject and get some heat off Bill for a bit.

I will be going to Europe this December with a buddy to celebrate the 65th anninersary of the Battle of the Bulge and we decided to take a couple days off from the history stuff and head to Switzerland and do some skiing. Pretty pumped about that. No crazy extreme skiiing for me but they have alot of long 13km (8mi) runs. Hopefully I won't have to spend time in the hospital.
Anything is possible in the life of a man if he lives long enough. Even adulthood.--Howell Raines
stonepm

Favorite Player: nobody right now
Least Favorite Player: karma

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:41 am

stonepm wrote:

I will be going to Europe this December with a buddy to celebrate the 65th anninersary of the Battle of the Bulge and we decided to take a couple days off from the history stuff and head to Switzerland and do some skiing. Pretty pumped about that. No crazy extreme skiiing for me but they have alot of long 13km (8mi) runs. Hopefully I won't have to spend time in the hospital.

That is on my list, I would love to go to Europe to ski some. Ever heard of Chamonix in France? 9200 vertical feet. I cant even fathom that.

For you non skiers vertical is from the base of the resort to top of the mountain. Whistler is the highest in North America at 5300 feet. Aspen is like 3600, Vail 3300, Seven Springs 750.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:23 pm

For all you skiin' folks. I was made aware of a website yesterday with a ton of outdoor crap on it and really good deals on skiing stuff. Some stuff are just decent deals, but every now and again they have an awesome one. For instance they had a $550 jacket MSRP (or so they say), but regardless it sold for $1, and sold out in about a minute. I have been following it and it has been pretty interesting. I actually saw a pair of boots I was debating on buying for $200. ($350 in the store)

http://www.steepandcheap.com/

Still holding out for a paticular pair of boots, I'd love to score them for a cheap price.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:09 pm

http://www.denverpost.com/extremes/ci_13498572#

Time to wax up the skis, hell it is time to mount my bindings since I havent on my new skis yet. Earliest open in 40 years. I'll ignore the easy knock on the Global Warming alarmists because I am in a good mood about skiing this weekend.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:11 pm

Hey Everybody!

It's the Ziner Talks To Ziner Show!
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:17 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Hey Everybody!

It's the Ziner Talks To Ziner Show!

Right, so stay out.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:20 pm

:thumbsdown:
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:28 pm

e0y2e3,

You ever go up to Vermont or NH to ski up there? I've only been to Killington, thats only what 3-4 hours from you. You should give it a try, just so you can contribute to this fantastic thread.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:37 pm

Homeboy don't ski.

Homeboy doesn't even like venturing outside of the concrete jungle to the woods or nature.

Closest to skiing I will get is sitting in a cabin getting pounded off of wine next to a fire.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:11 pm

boilerdaveb wrote:plan on skiing somewhere in Washington State in January when I visit my sister in Seattle.

Most likely choices would be Alpental/Snoqualmie or Stevens Pass. Not a skier, but heard great things about those two places when I lived out there.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby boilerdaveb » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:26 pm

Hey Ziner, since I am stuck here in C. Ohio, I want to live vicariously through you in the early season. You get out on the slopes out there in Colorado yet? I have been viewing the webcams lately, some nice dumps up there. Got me some new rossignol s3 twin tips and some Salomon boots to. But I don't get out there till January...when is your first trip?
boilerdaveb

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:44 pm

boilerdaveb wrote:Hey Ziner, since I am stuck here in C. Ohio, I want to live vicariously through you in the early season. You get out on the slopes out there in Colorado yet? I have been viewing the webcams lately, some nice dumps up there. Got me some new rossignol s3 twin tips and some Salomon boots to. But I don't get out there till January...when is your first trip?

I have the Colorado Pass so can go to A-Basin, Keystone, Breck, Vail and BC whenever I want. I have already been out 3 times, first time was Oct 15th believe it or not. Skiing sucks, but it is still skiing. Breck is starting to come around. I am going up with the wife to Breck for 3 days this weekend for thanksgiving. Might as well ski if we arent goign home, should have the slopes to ourselves on Thursday. They have about 10-12 runs open at breck right now (a good chunk of Peak 8. Apparently they are goign to be opening parts of Peak 9 before thanksgiving so that should be good. They just got 5 inches the other day and a foot the weekend before that.

I should have a minimum of 10 days in before the 1st of the year, but probably more like 12-15... hope to get in to the 40's this year.

Where are you going when you come?
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby boilerdaveb » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:04 pm

I have the Colorado Pass so can go to A-Basin, Keystone, Breck, Vail and BC whenever I want. I have already been out 3 times, first time was Oct 15th believe it or not. Skiing sucks, but it is still skiing. Breck is starting to come around. I am going up with the wife to Breck for 3 days this weekend for thanksgiving. Might as well ski if we arent goign home, should have the slopes to ourselves on Thursday. They have about 10-12 runs open at breck right now (a good chunk of Peak 8. Apparently they are goign to be opening parts of Peak 9 before thanksgiving so that should be good. They just got 5 inches the other day and a foot the weekend before that.

I should have a minimum of 10 days in before the 1st of the year, but probably more like 12-15... hope to get in to the 40's this year.

Same place you are headed this week...Breckenridge. Love that town. Love that mountain. Won't head out there until late January. Probably just hit Breck and A-Basin up for the few days I am there. Now, a couple of questions. How long have you lived out there? Did your moving there relate to an ability to access skiing during the season? If it did, has it lived up to expectations?

Reason I ask, I am really considering moving out to Reno/Tahoe for a few years just for the change in scenery, the increased sunshine in Reno, the Casinos/Poker scene, and the ability to ski weekly during the season. I have lived in Ohio long enough, know a few people in my profession out in Reno and the jobs are plenty, so I wouldn't be a loner, but wonder what the reasoning behind the location you chose was. The Denver area / Fort Collins also have some opportunities as well, but the lack of income tax in Nevada may win me over. Have you enjoyed your time out there? I feel I have talked about it long enough, and no matter how many trips out west I make I am always longing for more. Just interested in your thought process, I assume you are from NE Ohio or roundabouts like I was.
boilerdaveb

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:17 pm

boilerdaveb wrote:

Same place you are headed this week...Breckenridge. Love that town. Love that mountain. Won't head out there until late January. Probably just hit Breck and A-Basin up for the few days I am there. Now, a couple of questions. How long have you lived out there? Did your moving there relate to an ability to access skiing during the season? If it did, has it lived up to expectations?

Reason I ask, I am really considering moving out to Reno/Tahoe for a few years just for the change in scenery, the increased sunshine in Reno, the Casinos/Poker scene, and the ability to ski weekly during the season. I have lived in Ohio long enough, know a few people in my profession out in Reno and the jobs are plenty, so I wouldn't be a loner, but wonder what the reasoning behind the location you chose was. The Denver area / Fort Collins also have some opportunities as well, but the lack of income tax in Nevada may win me over. Have you enjoyed your time out there? I feel I have talked about it long enough, and no matter how many trips out west I make I am always longing for more. Just interested in your thought process, I assume you are from NE Ohio or roundabouts like I was.

From Toledo, lived in Cleveland for 6 years and Chicago for 3. There are aspects I miss about Chicago, but the Denver area is the most complete to me. I have only been out here for about 8 months and I didnt necessarily intend to move here, but I have always wanted to live here since the first time I visited. My wife got laid off in Chicago and was lucky enough to find her new one out here, much to my delight.

As far as living up to my expectations, it has exceeded them. The city of Denver is a solid, fun, energetic city and it is nice to have that strong urban area close by, it isnt Chicago, but it is a solid city. Access to the mountains is awesome for winter thus far, but is even really convienent for summer time too if you are interested in hiking, climbing etc. Depending on where you live thought it is at least an hour and 20 min to the closest ski resort. If you are interested in being really close check out SLC. Only 3.2% beer and lots of mormons, but really close to the mountains. I think Reno is about an hour from the Tahoe resorts no?

My advice, if you can, do it. What the hell. Even if you hate it or dont like it as much as you thought you would you can always go back. I have enjoyed living in Cleveland, Chicago and Denver all different cities and all have their own uniqueness. Give it a shot what the hell.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby drum » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:45 pm

I have a trip planned for early February at PeaknPeek, Findley Lake NY

I'll probably go to Snow Trails in Mansfield for a couple warm ups since its close, or Mad River
Skier here, I'll try snowboarding eventually
Proud owner of a talking Tom Hamilton bobblehead
drum

Favorite Player: Joe Posnanski
Least Favorite Player: Miami fans

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:04 pm

Season is winding down. Got over 20+ days in this year. Might have my last day tomorrow. Vail just got 32 inches in 48 hours earlier this week, but I probably heading to Keystone anyway as someone from my work is there with his family. I am not sure I will ever be able to get myself to move away from the mountains. Still hoping to hit up A-Basin in May or June though. I hear they try staying open until July 4th, would love to go this year.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:23 am

Opening day today and a powder day. Loveland pass closed, Vail pass in bad shape, calling for up to 2 feet. Hopefully it will be a great year and make up for last year.

Any of you bastards coming out this year? Any ski trips planned not in Colorado?

Love winter, can't wait. I am heading up next weekend. Gotta go get the planks waxed.

http://www.examiner.com/skiing-in-natio ... powder-day
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:20 am

No skiing in Colorado this year, unfortunately, but some friends and I are going to try to get to Peak n Peek or Holiday Valley at some point.
StewieG

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:12 pm

Ziner wrote:Gotta go get the planks waxed.

Is this some sort of euphemism for a masturbating pirate?
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:12 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
Ziner wrote:Gotta go get the planks waxed.

Is this some sort of euphemism for a masturbating pirate?

I make sure to get it done at least every month, my planks slide so much smoother once waxed. I really should do it more than that though. Just starts to get expensive ya know.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:34 pm

I don't ski. Water or snow.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby dmiles » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:03 pm

Have some well-off friends from back in SD who are renting a place in Vail from Dec. 26-Jan. 2 and they want us to come out and stay. Looking at flight costs, of at around $2400 for the 4 of us, renting a car, lift tickets. Ouch. I am thinking of passing. None of us have ever been to NY (though I am teaching a tech class up there at JFK in about 10 days and plan to venture out to manhatten). We've never taken a cruise and the kids haven't been back to Ohio in close to 3 years. I am thinking we can do all three of those for the same cost as Vail.

Now I am closer to 3-bills than 2-bills on weight scale so I don't see my fat arse getting out much (I've never ski'd or boarded). But assuming I am not splitting the rent what kind of cash outlay are we looking at before beer and food? Lift tickets, rentals, etc. Jet Blue flies to NYC for $180 or so round trip and I could swear I saw Orlando to Y-town for 150 or so and slightly less to Pittsburgh (Moon Apt. about 65 miles). Cruise terminals are right over in Cocoa. I am getting ready to say f-colorado, what I am missing Ziner? Hell just getting back to San Diego might not be a bad idea and he can go back to the SoCal mountains for a day or two (son is having snow-boarding withdrawals). Right now never having done that stuff I just can't see it happening.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby docstank » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:27 pm

Heading out to Tahoe for the first time in Feb. Any recommendations, comments?
Very pumped, Heavenly has been on my list for a long time, looking forward to checking it out. :dingle:
docstank

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:24 pm

docstank wrote:Heading out to Tahoe for the first time in Feb. Any recommendations, comments?
Very pumped, Heavenly has been on my list for a long time, looking forward to checking it out. :dingle:

How much are you paying for your pass? If you are going to make any trips out to colorado you may be interested in one of these.

http://www.snow.com/passsales/default.aspx

I get 5 days at heavenly and northstar at tahoe with mine, but if it is your only trip probably not worth it, but figured I would throw it out there.

No real advice on Tahoe. Take pictures and post them though, I would love to see it. I have only been to Tahoe in September, absolutely beautiful, enjoy!

Great year in Colorado thus far, Breck has gotten 35 inches in 7 days, 72 for the year already... well ahead of last years pace I believe.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:15 am

20 inches of fresh powder at Breck today... not really sure why I am working. Phuck.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby boilerdaveb » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:17 pm

I have skied Lake Tahoe, and especially Heavenly the last four March. It's my primer for March Madness/St. Patrick's Day in Vegas two weeks later. Every fall I start getting antsy for that trip, I absolutely love Lake Tahoe. As a poker playing skier, I don't think it can be any better anywhere else than South Lake Tahoe in the Spring. Here's my tips/observations/recommendations...

1. Heavenly is a very popular resort, and for that reason I NEVER ski it on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. In fact, I avoid all the top resorts in all states on most weekends because I can't stand lift lines, the reason being out west (and even east) the operating hours are limited (6-7 hours a day tops). Spending time in lift lines makes skiing all the more expensive and annoying. But, if you are in fact skiing only the weekends on your trip, Heavenly would be worth spending 1 day just to experience the views and the terrain, and since I have never skied it on Fri/Sat/Sun, I can't really promise that it WILL in fact be busy, you may get lucky. That's just what I hear. If you want to avoid crowds if you do ski weekends, I would recommend Homewood/Alpine Meadows or even drive out to Kirkwood for softer crowds. But that's me. And to avoid the lunch lines, try to hit them up after 130-200 regardless of the day.

2. Heavenly is very large, sure there are larger resorts out there, but don't try to ski it all in one day. You will spend too much time traversing from the Nevada to California side or vice versa, and lose valuable ski time. Pick a side, than pick a chair, and lap that chair untill you are blue in the face (or red from the Sun). Heavenly has great glade (tree) skiing. So DO get off the trails and get in the POW, you can find it on all degrees of runs. I love Sky Expres, take it to the top, and while admiring the views and the terrain, look below you, pick your lines (and trees), and ski it back down to Sky. But since Sky takes you to the peak, it can be crowded. (PS, I know I told you not to go from side to side, but you really should take Sky to the summit than go around skyline trail to Nevada side and witness the backside views towards the Nevada valley at least once on your trip, it's amazing. Here are some runs that I like:

a. Sky Express Chair to the glades between Ellies and Liz's back to Sky Express, rinse and repeat (more difficult)
b. Less difficult tree run is Powerderbowl express to Powderbowl woods...repeat
c. Long Traverse run warning!! Take Sky Express to peak, than Skyline trail to Meteor to Big dipper to Galaxy. If you have it in you, take Milky Way Bowl from Skyline to Meteor (more hardcore)
d. My "always last run of the trip" is Sky Express to Ridge Run to Ridge Bowl to Powederbowl Run to Mombo (get as much speed as you can 'cause it's flat as hell at the bottom...coast as best you can to Roundabout...and at the middle of the steep as hell Gunbarrell, finish off your weekend with some double black moguls...if you aren't dead at the end of that one, you are more hardcore than me. That's one scenic way to end a day.

3. If you are staying on the South Shore for a few days, it would be worth your while to drive up to Squaw for a day of hardcore skiing. That is a true skier's mountain, and worth a trip up from the casinos. Unfortunately, it is also one expensive ticket. We have been saving money and hitting Homewood during the week at least once, they have $39 dollar specials during the weekdays, check their website for details. But do NOT go if the roads are at all iffy, because you have to drive through Emerald Bay about 15 hundred feet elevated with no railings on either side, let's just say, it's terrifying (the road is closed in the worst weather). Alpine Meadows is another resort of a more reasonable cost, but both Alpine and Homewood have limited high speed lifts, which can be annoying.

4. Tahoe offers some lift ticket deals, google around and look for them. I use this site to see the latest offers: http://www.slidingonthecheap.com/

I stay at Harvey's every year, the rooms are clean, cheap, nothing spectacular. But I like being able to play poker into the wee hours, and so does my lady friend so we don't require a condo or a fireplace. There are 2-3 liquor stores, buy you drinks there, and wander Heavenly village. You won't be disappointed. Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Happy cruising!

:partyers:
boilerdaveb

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:34 pm

26 inches at Breckenridge today. I am stuck working. I am not happy. Granted the tunnels were just closed until about a half hour ago.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Return to No Holds Barred