Text Size

College Sports Arena

Watch OSU basketball online tonight

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Watch OSU basketball online tonight

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:29 pm

OSU vs North Carolina A&T online tonight at 7 pm on ESPN3.com

Not everyone has access to espn3.com, but many cable systems do, including Time-Warner.

Registration is quick and easy, but have your cable bill handy because you'll need your account number to register. Just go to espn3.com to check it out.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Re: Watch OSU basketball online tonight

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:29 pm

OMG...DeShaun Thomas, the "other" stud freshman is raining threes in the second half (at 6' 8"). He had 15 in the first half to lead OSU. Inside-outside game. Nice player. He and Sullinger are both southpaws, although Sully is ambidextrous around the hoop.

Sullinger having a nice all around game too. Excellent free throw shooter (coach's kid) A couple assists...couple blocks...a bucket of boards

OSU rolling by 40, as you might expect
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:49 pm

Aaron Craft fouled out with 4 minutes to go in the game, but there's no doubt that the Buckeyes have found their point guard. Wow...what an impressive debut. 8 pts, 9 assists in his first carer game. Great ball handler...excellent on the ball defender...strong kid...could have had several more hoops if he wasn't so unselfish when he drives.

Sullinger turned it on in the second half. Looks like he'll finish with 19 pts, 14 boards

danwismar

Unread postby tired » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:35 am

Thanks for the insight wiz !!! All I caught was the final score. What did they play more wiz man or zone ? And what do you think looked best ? Also who played point when Craft wasn't playing ? Thank you sir, tired.
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
tired

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:09 am

They played man-to-man almost exclusively, and Lighty started at the point.

The biggest difference that struck me from last year is how "big" they can play this year. Last year they were a small team, with Lauderdale and four wings, basically.

This year, with Lauderdale and Sullinger both starting, and Thomas coming off the bench, they can be huge AND athletic in the frontcourt. Consider the opposition, but they outrebounded this team something like 60-22 or something. They are going to be a much better rebounding team this year.

Lauderdale looked very good...almost a triple double with 8 blocks to go with his 10 pts and 12 boards. The two freshman bigs were very impressive.

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:13 am

THis is going to be a special year for OSU hoops. Hard to believe that Thomas is the "other" recruit as the all time leading scorer in Indiana HS basketball history.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:42 am

wiz1001 wrote:They played man-to-man almost exclusively, and Lighty started at the point.

Was wondering if they'd turn Lighty into the 'Turner-type' at PG til Craft either won the job outright or Lighty couldn't be effective.

That's the position I'm interested to see evolve.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby pup » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:34 pm

Who is Craft kicking out of the starting unit?

You think they would bring Diebs off the pine? I don't think the starting 5 changes over the season, but the minutes for Craft will certainly evolve.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:45 pm

pup wrote:Who is Craft kicking out of the starting unit?

You think they would bring Diebs off the pine? I don't think the starting 5 changes over the season, but the minutes for Craft will certainly evolve.

You're right. He's not taking the spot of any of the starting 5. Althought there are about 6-8 games a season where bringing Diebler off the bench (or leaving him there) would be preferred. ;-) ;) :wink:

Given Lighty's injury history though, I'm hoping Craft evolves quicker rather than otherwise. This team has some depth that past year's teams did not.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby pup » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:23 am

peeker643 wrote:
pup wrote:Who is Craft kicking out of the starting unit?

You're right. He's not taking the spot of any of the starting 5. Althought there are about 6-8 games a season where bringing Diebler off the bench (or leaving him there) would be preferred. ;-) ;) :wink:

Given Lighty's injury history though, I'm hoping Craft evolves quicker rather than otherwise. This team has some depth that past year's teams did not.

After watching that Florida game, at some point this year it will be almost impossible to keep Craft out of the starting lineup. We might see:

Craft, Diebler, Buford, Lighty and Sullinger before the season is out.

Unless Thad is as deathly afraid of Dallas like the rest of the league :guns:
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:36 am

I kind of like the idea of staying big in the starting lineup with Lauderdale and Sully, and bringing Diebler off the bench instead. But I think Pup is right. Craft will eventually start...and I mean this year.

danwismar

Unread postby neoleo » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:09 pm

I too think Craft eventually becomes a starter, but I would vote for Lauderdale to come off the bench and not Diebler. Matta has never liked the two big men lineup and Lighty can play the four just fine (Matta went to him as the defensive stopper when Florida was abusing us in the post). For all of Lauderdale's blocks, he's really not a good defensive player,, he's a poor rebounder for a big man and he struggles with foul trouble. He could be a shot blocking beast off the bench simply because he wouldn't have to worry about fouls and he could just go out there and try to block every shot for 5-8 minutes per half.

If they decide to stay big, I would say Buford would be a better fit off the bench than Diebler. Buford can actually create his own shot and could be a spark off the bench like Cook was in the final four season. Diebler has a chance to have his best season of his career just off the open looks he'll get from Sullinger getting double teamed.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Return to College Sports Arena