Text Size

College Sports Arena

Blowin' this mutha up

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Blowin' this mutha up

Unread postby dmiles » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:37 pm

I am all for stayin' status quo if it favors the buckeyes but since that is clearly not happening....

Why does anyone here have a vested interest in keeping the status quo? The Status quo means undefeated or NO FUCKING SHOT for the bucks. Right or wrong it's just the way it is...

Between the perceived weak-ass B10 (all internet arguments aside) or the failure to win on the big stage, outside of a playoff what real shot do the the Bucks have? Do we get to stand aside each week and golf-clap Stanford or LSU as they go blowin' past after a big win? At this point watchin' teams lose and hoping we move us is apparently fruitless.

So given all that at this point I'd much rather see BSU-TCU assuming Bama takes care of Auburn and Oregon trips up. If we go with the one-loss theory does anyone here seriously want to watch LSU-Nebraska in the title game? Sure a lot can happen but the thought of watching that game over TCU-BSU disgusts me. I wouldn't favor either team over TCU or Boise. Yet if Auburn can win the title game of the SEC look for the LSU drum to be strong.

So apparently this is a long-winded way of saying screw it if we sit aside and watch teams pass up the Buckeyes anyway, don't expect me to cheer on LSU-Stanford or a potential one-loss Oregon against Nebraska. If all the big conferences produce one-loss teams let the NCAA eat a little crow while TCU takes on Boise.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Re: Blowin' this mutha up

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:59 am

I think part of many fans persistence on not just bowing down and giving tons of credit to a TCU or Boise is b/c of the schedules they play and the glaring advantage they have at running the table with said schedule. Running the table is the most simple and straight forward way to the NCG in the current climate of college football. Regardless of one's feelings about the strength of a Big Ten, 12 or Pac 10 the fact remains the MWC is not any of the former and many fans feel (in some cases just know) that a Boise or TCU would not make it through a season unscathed let alone with maybe just 1 or 2 losses if they played in one of the said other conferences, hence also not having a shot at a title game what so ever.

The counter to ^ is well they have beaten so and so and have beaten anyone that has been put in front of them, what more can we ask of them? The counter to < is simple, well LSU, Oregon, Nebraska or the Buckeyes would most certainly have a great shot at running the table quite often if they played in the MWC as well.

The bottom line is until a Boise/TCU play in a conference with top to bottom possibilities of losing a conference game any given week except maybe one they will not get the respect, nor should they IMO. Yeah Boise beat OK a few years ago, they beat VaTech (pfft) this year, but let's see them not only play a schedule like that for 8 straight weeks but win those games for 8 straight weeks.

The system sucks bad, we all know it, the solution is a playoff, not sure what else we can say about it at this point. It all kind of reminds me of how Selig just kind of magically made himself the commissioner of MLB, IOW why does the NCAA just allow the BCS to run the show...
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:56 am

dmiles wrote:If we go with the one-loss theory does anyone here seriously want to watch LSU-Nebraska in the title game?

yes.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:16 am

Sorry am not convinced oregon is the best team in the country right now, nor auburn.

You can point out to the 70 point beat downs given to Eastern Washington State all you want, but I saw Boise State beat those guys TWICE in two years, and what happened on new years day in Pasadena sort of colors me as unimpressed with them.

Auburn..theres just something off about them, I can't quite say it, but they just don't seem on par with the 'bama, florida and LSU of the SEC.

hence why I think the system is a joke.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:08 am

dmiles wrote:I am all for stayin' status quo if it favors the buckeyes but since that is clearly not happening....

Why does anyone here have a vested interest in keeping the status quo? The Status quo means undefeated or NO FUCKING SHOT for the bucks. Right or wrong it's just the way it is...

Between the perceived weak-ass B10 (all internet arguments aside) or the failure to win on the big stage, outside of a playoff what real shot do the the Bucks have? Do we get to stand aside each week and golf-clap Stanford or LSU as they go blowin' past after a big win? At this point watchin' teams lose and hoping we move us is apparently fruitless.

So given all that at this point I'd much rather see BSU-TCU assuming Bama takes care of Auburn and Oregon trips up. If we go with the one-loss theory does anyone here seriously want to watch LSU-Nebraska in the title game? Sure a lot can happen but the thought of watching that game over TCU-BSU disgusts me. I wouldn't favor either team over TCU or Boise. Yet if Auburn can win the title game of the SEC look for the LSU drum to be strong.

So apparently this is a long-winded way of saying screw it if we sit aside and watch teams pass up the Buckeyes anyway, don't expect me to cheer on LSU-Stanford or a potential one-loss Oregon against Nebraska. If all the big conferences produce one-loss teams let the NCAA eat a little crow while TCU takes on Boise.

The "system", while shitty, is the same for everyone - lose one game and you're most likely done, except if all of the major conference winners each have a loss and then the SEC is more equal than others. LSU is a huge joke (sorry Bayou) and I agree Oregon and Auburn have flaws. I think TCU could be the real deal, and while I am not a real Boise fan, others have pointed out their D is solid and on O they are very creative.

I see one flaw with your scenario - Boise vs. TCU may end up being Michigan vs. Illinois - an entertianing game between two equally matched teams - about which no one really cares. We'll never know with Boise vs. TCU.

I would much prefer SEC winner vs. TCU and Boise to play the next highest ranked team. At the end of the bowl season, we'd then know what was what and who really deserved to be ranked where.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:03 pm

I agree with the doubts you have for Auburn and Oregon, but I'm not sure as I look below them that I see anyone else putting a stranglehold on the chance to take the top spot. There's no superhuman, sure-shot power like Bama was last season; there's flaws with everyone. And I'm not trying to crack on anyone elses' squad, because I'm realistic enough to point out flaws with my personal favorite (QB play, thrive or die coaching performances).

So if it is Auburn and Oregon at the end of the year, I'm not sure that I can look definitively at it and cry foul.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby tired » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:57 pm

Brutal Scenario for Auburn
Win out in the regular season by winning the Iron Bowl and giving Bama their third loss. Head into the SEC title game with the clear Heisman winner in Cam Newton... only to lose to South Carolina or Florida... perhaps taking away Cam's Heisman... and then after South Carolina or Florida get their BCS invite as conference champs... LSU gets the at-large invite for either the nat'l title game or the Sugar Bowl...

Could go from BCS or bust... to truly bust...
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
tired

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby dmiles » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:45 pm

I think pairing off TCU and Boise in the BCS last year was harmful for each school. First of all it was a rematch because the prior year TCU beat Boise 16-10 in the Poinsettia Bowl.

Second it disallowed each an opportunity to win against a BCS quality school. I remember when that pairing was made thinking, what the hell? Given the Bowl selection process, and how the teams fell into the BCS I completely understand how the matchup came about, I just mean as a fan, it was the worst possible thing. If TCU and Boise go in and get spanked by a BCS team then all the doubts about each school are warranted. On the other hand if they both win their games then everyone knows that you have to give them their propers.

Again I understand the issue about playing weak teams, but hasn't the MWC prior to the this season had some decent success against the Pac-10? Or just beating up on the weak-sisters? Boise of course isn't in the MWC and with them moving over next year had Utah stayed things might have gotten interesting. And of course Utah gets spanked at home throwing that theory out the window.

How many WAC teams would Purdue beat on the road? Indiana? Vandy? Are you betting Indiana out at Fresno or Nevada? I am not. The MWC is another one to consider. Air Force is currently in 5th place of the MWC. To me I'd have to go to about 6th place (Colo. St.) before I start giving Indiana much of a chance on the road. I am not taking Purdue over BYU in Provo. My point being if Purdue can muster up an upset at home against an Ohio State, are we to assume that other schools in the MWC couldn't do that? Hell SDSU played us DAMN tight right in Columbus a few years back (Michigan too). Getting back to the main point that TCU going undefeated in that conference is an indication of being a BCS Bowl quality team and possibly a BCSCG worthy team.

I just don't see those conferences as being as pathetically weak as they are made out to be. Weaker than the Big-10/SEC/Big 12, moderately weaker than the Pac-10, and in the case of MWC, stronger than the Big East.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:53 pm

tired wrote:Brutal Scenario for Auburn
Win out in the regular season by winning the Iron Bowl and giving Bama their third loss. Head into the SEC title game with the clear Heisman winner in Cam Newton... only to lose to South Carolina or Florida... perhaps taking away Cam's Heisman... and then after South Carolina or Florida get their BCS invite as conference champs... LSU gets the at-large invite for either the nat'l title game or the Sugar Bowl...

Could go from BCS or bust... to truly bust...

Interesting scenario.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby fairvis » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:10 pm

Here's what I think is going to happen, and it'll be a shitshow.

Right now, we have ~11 teams with shots at BCS at-large bids (1 loss or less at the moment). Here's my predicted BCS-chaos:

National Title Game: Oregon vs. TCU
Rose Bowl: Wisconsin - Boise State
Sugar Bowl: Auburn - Ohio State
Orange Bowl: Alabama - Va Tech
Fiesta Bowl: Nebraska - Syracuse

I think LSU loses to Arkansas the last week of the season. I think Bama takes out Auburn in the Iron Bowl, even though Auburn wins the SEC title game, they can't get back into the national title game. Oregon makes it through, and faces TCU, in the "who cares" game. It'll blow up for everyone.

True armageddon would occur if Oregon lost to Oregon State and Auburn lost the SEC title game. Would the voters screw with the system that much to get a Nebraska-Wisconsin/Ohio State title game?
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:39 pm

dmiles wrote:I think pairing off TCU and Boise in the BCS last year was harmful for each school. First of all it was a rematch because the prior year TCU beat Boise 16-10 in the Poinsettia Bowl.

Second it disallowed each an opportunity to win against a BCS quality school. I remember when that pairing was made thinking, what the hell? Given the Bowl selection process, and how the teams fell into the BCS I completely understand how the matchup came about, I just mean as a fan, it was the worst possible thing. If TCU and Boise go in and get spanked by a BCS team then all the doubts about each school are warranted. On the other hand if they both win their games then everyone knows that you have to give them their propers.

Again I understand the issue about playing weak teams, but hasn't the MWC prior to the this season had some decent success against the Pac-10? Or just beating up on the weak-sisters? Boise of course isn't in the MWC and with them moving over next year had Utah stayed things might have gotten interesting. And of course Utah gets spanked at home throwing that theory out the window.

How many WAC teams would Purdue beat on the road? Indiana? Vandy? Are you betting Indiana out at Fresno or Nevada? I am not. The MWC is another one to consider. Air Force is currently in 5th place of the MWC. To me I'd have to go to about 6th place (Colo. St.) before I start giving Indiana much of a chance on the road. I am not taking Purdue over BYU in Provo. My point being if Purdue can muster up an upset at home against an Ohio State, are we to assume that other schools in the MWC couldn't do that? Hell SDSU played us DAMN tight right in Columbus a few years back (Michigan too). Getting back to the main point that TCU going undefeated in that conference is an indication of being a BCS Bowl quality team and possibly a BCSCG worthy team.

I just don't see those conferences as being as pathetically weak as they are made out to be. Weaker than the Big-10/SEC/Big 12, moderately weaker than the Pac-10, and in the case of MWC, stronger than the Big East.

They are weak enough that they don't have to get their depth tested at all.

This is a HUGE advantage.

Boise gets a key corner hamstringed or a lineman sprained, they set him on the shelf. If you are in the SEC and banged up, you're out there. They NEED you.

The one game deal in bowl season....pale in comparison to going thru the grind week in and week out.

Again, it's like a baseball team playing a AAA schedule and being allowed into the playoffs. In one case, if they played the major league schedule they'd never get in. In the other case, maybe they are truly a championship level team. But in either case it's a ridiculously unfair advantage to essentially get a free walk into the playoffs while the other teams have to exhaust resources they don't along the way.

Boise and TCU have nice QB's. One of them hasn't got his uniform dirty all year, and the other makes mistakes he gets away with in that conference.

Don't get me wrong, wonderful programs. Much respect. But one thing I need in a game, is it needs to be fair.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby swerb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:08 pm

What the Lead Man said.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby fundamentals » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:43 pm

fairvis wrote:Oregon makes it through, and faces TCU, in the "who cares" game. It'll blow up for everyone.

True armageddon would occur if Oregon lost to Oregon State and Auburn lost the SEC title game. Would the voters screw with the system that much to get a Nebraska-Wisconsin/Ohio State title game?

watching tOSU in a national title game, no thank you

Regards,

Most sports writers and broadcasters in the U.S.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby pup » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:46 pm

fundamentals wrote:
fairvis wrote:Oregon makes it through, and faces TCU, in the "who cares" game. It'll blow up for everyone.

watching tOSU in a national title game, no thank you

Regards,

Most sports writers and broadcasters in the U.S.

The same ones that had tOSU as the #2 team in the country before losing? Still fail to see all this bias against tOSU making another title game. In fact, they are one of a very small group that if the loss column is '0', they will play for the title no matter who else is '0'.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby fundamentals » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:13 pm

pup wrote:The same ones that had tOSU as the #2 team in the country before losing? Still fail to see all this bias against tOSU making another title game. In fact, they are one of a very small group that if the loss column is '0', they will play for the title no matter who else is '0'.

Pup- I agree with you. Buckeyes had the opportunity and failed. Their margin for error is none. I don't care if they win out from here, not a fan of seeing them get a shot at BCS championship.

Regardless of what goes down, the situation begs for a national playoff.
Last edited by fundamentals on Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:17 pm

nm
JCoz

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:35 pm

Only hope IMhO is based on this scenario:

- Somehow the BCS is stuck with TCU vs BSU for the title. On the coasts, 6 people tune in making it the lowest rated show since Grease II made it's network premier opposite the Super Bowl.

- The networs take a bath in red ink.

- The do nothings in Congress decide that they can all agree the BCS sucks, and that flaying the BCS in open hearings will raise their approval ratings. More importantly, one loss bama and Auburn watch these two FCS + conference schools pretend they have the cred to be champs (as Right Said Lead said) and boy is Sen. Richard Shelby PISSED. Newly appointed minority leader Heath Shuler instantly gets to be an expert on something and we all get to see JC watts back in the pundit's chair. Newt gives us a remarkable 4 hour historical lecture on how TR would have busted up the BCS. MSNBC reports that as Gov, Palin accepetd $ 75,000 of UDAG grants to rebuild the concession stands at Wasilla HS and ACTUALLY SPENT IT! The NCAA presidents are sufficinetly freaked out given a GOP predisposition to cut research and cut/restore PELL funding to 2008 levels, hope this will be seen as a quid pro quo, and actually overrule the conferences.

Short of that, nothing changes. The realpolitik has to come into play to elicit change.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:23 pm

fundamentals wrote:
pup wrote:The same ones that had tOSU as the #2 team in the country before losing? Still fail to see all this bias against tOSU making another title game. In fact, they are one of a very small group that if the loss column is '0', they will play for the title no matter who else is '0'.

Pup- I agree with you. Buckeyes had the opportunity and failed. Their margin for error is none. I don't care if they win out from here, not a fan of seeing them get a shot at BCS championship.

Regardless of what goes down, the situation begs for a national playoff.

So you are for a BSU/TCU BCS NC Game in that scenario?
JCoz

Unread postby dmiles » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:17 pm

Lead you make a good case above about the week in, weak out grind. Not much to argue there...

Let me ask what if NC State was undefeated right now along with Rutgers? If we were coming down to the last week of the season, and had to choose two of the four, I think most reasonable people on this board say F- the big Least what have they done? ACC I might scratch my head a tad knowing that Miami and FSU occasionally beat SEC teams. I suppose Clemson gets some nice wins, as does VT occasionally, but still I'd have my reservations.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:45 am

JCoz wrote:
fundamentals wrote:
So you are for a BSU/TCU BCS NC Game in that scenario?

My preference would be for the teams with the best records to play for the BCS National Title. If that means Boise State vs. TCU, then so be it. I completely understand the argument by those who do not want to see that situation develop. Oregon is going to lose before the end of the regular season. Auburn is going to lose before the end of the season. Let the fun begin. :nanner:

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Return to College Sports Arena