Text Size

College Sports Arena

MAC Talk

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

MAC Talk

Unread postby Loo » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:32 am

Any MAC fans out there?

Temple should run away with this, but Ohio is strong and Kent has as much potential as anyone (not to mention Ohio U and Temple both play in Kent).

Akron really caught a tough break on Erick Howard...He would have run over all the MAC for four years.
mmm, this is, a tasty burger!
Loo

Favorite Player: Josh Willingham
Least Favorite Player: Josh Willingham

Re: MAC Talk

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:41 am

Akron blows !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Flayyyyyyyyyyshes! <- eastern Portage county / caucasian population of inner city Akron pronunciation.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Spin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:19 pm

You may need to translate that Portage-wannabe-ghetto for the rest of us.

I have Temple in the East but watch for C Mich to come out of the west and take the whole thing again. Ohio will be right behind Temple.

Cant's biggest concern is getting enough fans to stay in the FBS. Then a winning record. Then they can worry about going for the Conference.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:14 pm

Spin wrote:You may need to translate that Portage-wannabe-ghetto for the rest of us.

Naw, that "riaht - thar" is straight up appalachian dialect....

Just like most of white citizens north and east city limit AK-Rowdy and all of Portage County outside of Kent. Man, that old rail road bridge on Rt 59 just east of Chicken Manor may as well have been the Berlin Wall (or E 185th south of LSB for those of us northeastsiders back in the day). I wouldn't even go to the KSU golf course alone. Go under that bridge and the banjos start playing in a mennacing way reminding us collich boyz that we're not on campus anymore and our mouths sure is purdy.

I swear that the majority of caucasians in Portage, non-Warren Trumbull, and parts of Summit (Akron, Barbertucky, Falls, parts of Tallmadge, Field & Mogadore; not Fairlawn, MM Valley, Bath, Stow, Revere; you know civilization) had an alternate state motto of "you've got a relative in West Virginia".

We'll see you in October now that you can't hide in Tele-Harassment Stadium, "The House that Ass Holes Interrupting Your Dinner" built. Don't get lost east of Dix, yah hear?

I don't fear the Poo. I'm from Pro Bowl U.

Never too early to start some MAC-smak. :dingle:
jb

Unread postby Spin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:08 pm

I dunno, they're pretty partikular there. Nice new place, afraid of the dag dern rednecks spillin beer on the new carpet. Last year they band half of them Indianer fanz.

You figger they'll layit you'inz in?
Spin

Unread postby Loo » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:46 pm

Spin wrote:Cant's biggest concern is getting enough fans to stay in the FBS. Then a winning record. Then they can worry about going for the Conference.

Akron will be in the same boat soon.

Kent had over 93,000 in a disappointing season after Jarvis went down in week 2.

Akron had 104,000 in a season involving the opening of a new stadium and the Kent-Akron game being in Akron.

The first game in the new stadium and the Kent-Akron game attracted big numbers for AK. With the lure of the new stadium gone and the Kent-Akron game in Kent this season, Akron will have just as much trouble filling the seats as Kent.

A note--most of the Flashes home games are later in the year, which hurts.
Loo

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:55 pm

Go all Ohio teams! (when they're not playing OSU)
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Spin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:58 pm

Historically Akron has had better numbers, despite the shit hole they use to play in. Last year was a train wreck of Cleveland proportions. There were more sideshows during the season than TO and Ochocinco could manage if they were on the same team. Several key starters injured.

We have a new coach now, getting away from the awful game planning of the past (the gun and the nickle are situational strategies, not something you use all day).

Things can only get better.
Last edited by Spin on Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spin

Unread postby Spin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:06 pm

Comparing the schedules, Akron has a much easier conference schedule this year, we play Ball St and Buffalo, Kent plays Toledo and BGSU.

Kent also plays a tougher OOC, Penn State and BC vs. Akron's Indiana and Syracuse. 'Cuse being at home.

That'll have an effect in the standings and in the attendance. Don't know if we're bowl eligible or not, but I gotta rank Ak over Can't this year.
Spin

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:47 pm

My MAC allegiances are based solely on how much time I spent drinking on the various campuses from age 16-25.

So I'm a Kent fan first. Followed by OU and Bowling Green. I've always had a soft spot for Miami OH in hoops as well. And there's just something about all the directional Michigan schools that pisses me off.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Loo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:07 am

Spin wrote:Comparing the schedules, Akron has a much easier conference schedule this year, we play Ball St and Buffalo, Kent plays Toledo and BGSU.

Kent also plays a tougher OOC, Penn State and BC vs. Akron's Indiana and Syracuse. 'Cuse being at home.

That'll have an effect in the standings and in the attendance. Don't know if we're bowl eligible or not, but I gotta rank Ak over Can't this year.

I'd love to hear your reasoning for thinking Akron will be better than Kent in 2010.

On attendance, I didn't say Kent would have more people in the seats than Akron. I'm saying Akron probably shouldn't sit on a high horse and boast of their attendance, since two of their highest volume games won't be there in 2010. As for injuries, Kent's starting QB and RB were both hurt by week two, and played a total of (I believe) 7 games.
Loo

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:06 am

Let me know when basketball season starts. MAC football is tit-on-a-bull useless until they devise a tournament system.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:24 am

hermanfontenot wrote:Let me know when basketball season starts. MAC football is tit-on-a-bull useless until they devise a tournament system.

They have. And its called FCS Division aka D - 1AA.

And it is EXACTLY where the MAC belongs in FB, and that's not an insult. It would give relevance to the whole endeavor. Would personally love to see the MAC as a dominant FCS force instead of a 2am Christmas eve northern bowl conference.

The NCAA is nearly irrelevant in terms competition for the BCS except rules & enforcement.
jb

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:42 am

jb wrote:They have. And its called FCS Division aka D - 1AA.

And it is EXACTLY where the MAC belongs in FB, and that's not an insult. It would give relevance to the whole endeavor. Would personally love to see the MAC as a dominant FCS force instead of a 2am Christmas eve northern bowl conference.

Could not agree more, JB. IMO the MAC needs to go the Missouri Valley route- drop to I-AA and play for National Championships in football while building a strong mid-major profile in basketball.

I know personally I'd get a lot more excited about MAC football in general and Kent football in particular if there was something real at stake.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:44 am

swerb wrote:I've always had a soft spot for Miami OH in hoops as well.

I have more respect for Charlie Coles than just about any other coach out there. He's a man's man. But watching his teams play is right there with paint drying and grass growing.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby Spin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:45 am

Loo wrote:On attendance, I didn't say Kent would have more people in the seats than Akron. I'm saying Akron probably shouldn't sit on a high horse and boast of their attendance, since two of their highest volume games won't be there in 2010.

No, you said "Akron will be in the same boat soon." Nobody boasted about Ak's attendance, other than it meets NCAA standard (and has for years), even though they played in the Rubber Bowl. They didn't have to count the same fans twice, count the coaches and players and band, count the cock roaches in the food stands to meet standard either.

Even if you discount the two games, Akron drew 18,340 for a televised game, and 16,381 for the next. Not bad for a program that booted the starting QB, had the backup go down to season ending injury, and pulled the red shirt off a freshman to start the rest of the games. Starting running back and wide reciever, out. RB coach resigned. And qattendance still above NCAA FBS standard.

After the wheels fell off, the late season week night televised crapo weather games drew bad. If you want to look at that as an indication of how the Zips will draw this season, and ignore the attendance at the Indiana and Ohio games, on top of the opener and Can't, knock yourself out.

I seriously doubt you'll see Akron resorting to this to maintain its FBS standing.

"Everyone counts". Does that refer to the attendance, or has Can't raised their admission requirements? :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
Last edited by Spin on Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spin

Unread postby Spin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:05 am

The NCAA is nearly irrelevant in terms competition for the BCS except rules & enforcement.

I've said that for awhile but the Zip forum doesn't want to hear it (imagine that, Spin going against the grain...).

The only reason they don't is the $$$. The school gets eight figures for their annual visit to a Big Ten bloodletting, and bowl games. Problem is, if the conferences keep reorganizing and we wind up with 4 megaconferences, then the leftovers can kiss that revenue goodbye...

Having a better OOC record would BOOST attendance. Sure, bringing in an Indiana might sell some more tickets to that game, but getting slaughtered by Big 10 fodder hurts you the rest of the year.

It's not the level of opponent that drives attendance in northeast Ohio, it's the team record. Nobody at an Aeros gives a crap whether they're playing AAA or AA. They win. They have a comfortable venue with good cheap food and beer. They advertise. It's a good time. Gladiators fans broke records despite not being NFL. You have to be at a level you can perform at.

In FBS even if you build your program up (tough to do with 6 FBS programs in the state) and can make a run at a national title, we all know in the back of our minds there are only about 12 legacy schools that are eligible for the BcS Championship. Boise State? Texas Christian? Great season. Here, we'll give you your own bowl game for "everyone else" and a pat on the back. Great season, you're just not "one of us".

As far as TV exposure, I see a LOT more Mount U, BW, and John Carroll games on TV than I do area MAC schools. That's on the MAC and their idiotic network contract ($$$). Lose that and the schools can get local TV deals. Which wouldn't hurt recruiting and attendance.

It's a rock and a hard place, people just have to forget that "stigma" of being "major league".
Spin

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:42 am

Spin wrote:
Loo wrote:On attendance, I didn't say Kent would have more people in the seats than Akron. I'm saying Akron probably shouldn't sit on a high horse and boast of their attendance, since two of their highest volume games won't be there in 2010.

No, you said "Akron will be in the same boat soon." Nobody boasted about Ak's attendance, other than it meets NCAA standard (and has for years), even though they played in the Rubber Bowl. They didn't have to count the same fans twice, count the coaches and players and band, count the cock roaches in the food stands to meet standard either.

Even if you discount the two games, Akron drew 18,340 for a televised game, and 16,381 for the next. Not bad for a program that booted the starting QB, had the backup go down to season ending injury, and pulled the red shirt off a freshman to start the rest of the games. Starting running back and wide reciever, out. RB coach resigned. And qattendance still above NCAA FBS standard.

After the wheels fell off, the late season week night televised crapo weather games drew bad. If you want to look at that as an indication of how the Zips will draw this season, and ignore the attendance at the Indiana and Ohio games, on top of the opener and Can't, knock yourself out.

I seriously doubt you'll see Akron resorting to this to maintain its FBS standing.

"Everyone counts". Does that refer to the attendance, or has Can't raised their admission requirements? :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Kent has had admission standards for years. UA is opn enrollment.

Lamest dig since some idiot in a bar here was trying to make a case YSU was a good school.

OTOH, KSU's been doing this stuff once a decade to half-decade for as ;ong as I can recall.

A perpetual struggle.
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:50 am

Spin wrote:

I've said that for awhile but the Zip forum doesn't want to hear it (imagine that, Spin going against the grain...).

The only reason they don't is the $$$. The school gets eight figures for their annual visit to a Big Ten bloodletting, and bowl games. Problem is, if the conferences keep reorganizing and we wind up with 4 megaconferences, then the leftovers can kiss that revenue goodbye...

Having a better OOC record would BOOST attendance. Sure, bringing in an Indiana might sell some more tickets to that game, but getting slaughtered by Big 10 fodder hurts you the rest of the year.

It's not the level of opponent that drives attendance in northeast Ohio, it's the team record. Nobody at an Aeros gives a crap whether they're playing AAA or AA. They win. They have a comfortable venue with good cheap food and beer. They advertise. It's a good time. Gladiators fans broke records despite not being NFL. You have to be at a level you can perform at.

In FBS even if you build your program up (tough to do with 6 FBS programs in the state) and can make a run at a national title, we all know in the back of our minds there are only about 12 legacy schools that are eligible for the BcS Championship. Boise State? Texas Christian? Great season. Here, we'll give you your own bowl game for "everyone else" and a pat on the back. Great season, you're just not "one of us".

As far as TV exposure, I see a LOT more Mount U, BW, and John Carroll games on TV than I do area MAC schools. That's on the MAC and their idiotic network contract ($$$). Lose that and the schools can get local TV deals. Which wouldn't hurt recruiting and attendance.

It's a rock and a hard place, people just have to forget that "stigma" of being "major league".

Doesn't FCS share gate still? Top FCS teams still serve as cannon fodder -- and they'll always have App State. Can't imagine the gmac bowl makes / breaks anything for the whole conference, and those teams all bleed red ink. As we've been around this block before, Ohio's budget situation means the state has no buisiness subsidizing 6 crappy money losing BCS division programs outside of of the nati and Cbus.

Plus, the MAC could court UD for FCS and XU hooops only.
jb

Unread postby Loo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:16 pm

Spin wrote:

Spin, "Akron will be in the same boat" is not me saying Kent will have better attendance.

However, you cannot argue Akron's attendance will not drop in 2010. You just can't. Kent-Akron pretty much always brings more people to the games, and you won't have that "New stadium" pitch to sell.

Akron-Kent probably draws around 5,000 more than a regular MAC game? That inaugural home game drew how many more people as well?

Akron had 11,000 more people than Kent in 2009. Subtract those two games and add the KSU-AK game in Kent...I'm not saying Kent surpasses Akron because most of our home games are late in the year, but the Zips won't break 100,000 again, that's for sure.

Still waiting for your explanation of why Akron will be better than Kent.
Loo

Unread postby Spin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:21 pm

Loo wrote:
Spin wrote:No, you said "Akron will be in the same boat soon."
Spin, "Akron will be in the same boat" is not me saying Kent will have better attendance.

But that's precisely what you're comparing it to.

Your schpeal that "Akron will be in the same boat soon." says that Akron will be in trouble with the NCAA for low attendance.

I said they haven't been in years.

You reply with "you cannot argue Akron's attendance will not drop in 2010."

To what? Pre-2002 figures? Because that's the last time Akron didn't meet the requirements for Div I-A. Which is what the hell we were talking about.

Now, whether Akron's attendance figure drops this year or not is pure speculation. And has nothing, N O T H I N G to do with whether Akron will be in the same boat as Kent with the NCAA...
Spin

Unread postby Spin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:46 pm

jb wrote:Akron blows !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Flayyyyyyyyyyshes! <- eastern Portage county / caucasian population of inner city Akron pronunciation.

And you're calling MY dig lame?

And I wouldn't be proud of the fact KSU has to try to get their attendance up to NCAA standards every few years.

Come on JB, you can do better than that.
Spin

Unread postby Loo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:01 pm

Spin wrote:
Loo wrote:
Spin wrote:No, you said "Akron will be in the same boat soon."

But that's precisely what you're comparing it to.

Your schpeal that "Akron will be in the same boat soon." says that Akron will be in trouble with the NCAA for low attendance.

I said they haven't been in years.

You reply with "you cannot argue Akron's attendance will not drop in 2010."

To what? Pre-2002 figures? Because that's the last time Akron didn't meet the requirements for Div I-A. Which is what the hell we were talking about.

Now, whether Akron's attendance figure drops this year or not is pure speculation. And has nothing, N O T H I N G to do with whether Akron will be in the same boat as Kent with the NCAA...

Akron had 104,000 people come to their games in 2009.

One of those games was the inaguaral game in their brand spankin' new stadium, which drew a bigger-than-usual crowd.

One of those games was the Kent-Akron game, which always draws the biggest or one of the biggest crowds every year.

Without those two games boosting attendance, do you really think Akron will stay above 100,000 people?

And you still haven't explained why you think Akron football will be better than Kent in 2010, like you stated earlier.
Loo

Unread postby Spin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:15 pm

You're twisting the thread around with an arbitrary number to get out of a hole you got yourself in. It has nothing to do with 100,000. It has nothing to do with drawing as many as they did last year.

Just admit you were wrong about Akron being in the same trouble with the NCAA, then we can speculate who will draw more, and who will have a better record.

Until then (x)
Spin

Unread postby Loo » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:11 am

Spin wrote:You're twisting the thread around with an arbitrary number to get out of a hole you got yourself in. It has nothing to do with 100,000. It has nothing to do with drawing as many as they did last year.

Just admit you were wrong about Akron being in the same trouble with the NCAA, then we can speculate who will draw more, and who will have a better record.

Until then (x)

Well first off, I never said Akron was in the same trouble as Kent currently--but it's possible that they WILL be soon...in the future...meaning it hasn't happened yet.

I'm not twisting any point around, I'm sticking to my point--Kent is in trouble, but I think Akron's attendance will drop, and I don't think Akron fans should boast too much about attendance heading into 2010.

Here's my point that I've tried to get across several times.

Kent had 93,000 people. This year, the Kent-Akron game is in Kent so that number will most likely increase or at least stand pat. It will not go down. The only reason it might, like stated before, is because most of Kent's home games are late in the year. I doubt it will.

Akron had 104,000 people. That's 11,000 more (I'm not insulting your intelligence by putting out simple math, just building the point). You have to minus the extra people who came to the home opener, and minus the extra people who came to the KSU-AK game because those people won't be there in 2010.

Will that number equal 11,000? Probably not, but it might be closer than most want to admit.

In Akron's four games that weren't the stadium opener or Kent game, Akron brought in 55,610 people, for an average attendance of 13,902 per game. Expand that number to six home games, and Akron--at that pace--would have only brought in 83,000 people. Granted, they'll bring in more for the home opener this year too (though not nearly as many as 2009), so let's say that number would be around 90,000.

I'm just saying--Akron had a brand new stadium and had the rivalry game on their turf, and still only had 11,000 more people?

That's why I don't think AK fans should talk much trash, and I won't be surprised if AK doesn't top 95,000 people this year. 93,000 to 95,000--I think, involves "being in the same boat."

By the way, Akron didn't average 15,000 people in 2008, according to wikipedia, so take that for what it's worth.

You keep referring to Kent as "Can't", yet you won't explain why you say Akron is better. So why can't you explain why Can't can't be better than AK?
Loo

Unread postby Spin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:28 am

My point is Ak hasn't been below NCAA standards since 2002, and they've had six losing seasons in those eight years. Seven of those seasons were in the Rubber Bowl. You've been there I assume. So what makes you think they will drop below standard now?

You bring up the non-opener non-Kent games, yet complain Kent's attendance will suffer because of two late season home games. It worked the same way for us last year. Two of the non-opener non-Kent games were late season. On weeknights, bad weather. And they were on TV anyhow. The wheels fell off the season two months before. So of course they're not going to draw, just as you worry about Kent's late games this year. The other two non-non's drew 18K and 16K. Above the standard. So we're not resorting to "Save our FBS status" campaigns anytime soon.

Difference of opinion.

Why do I think Akron will be better than the Flashes, well I hope they are certainly. But it's pure speculation. Akron is going to look completely different. The defense is going to be tough again this year, probably better than last year, with the switch to the 4-3. Maybe the best in the MAC.

The offense is where the question marks are. Both QB's had a lot of trouble adjusting to the new scheme in the spring game, and the freshmen receivers weren't dressed. Allen has to step it up at RB.

They'll be better, but how much? Nobody can say right now.

I'll let you make Kent's case...
Last edited by Spin on Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
Spin

Unread postby Spin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:39 am

jb wrote:As we've been around this block before, Ohio's budget situation means the state has no buisiness subsidizing 6 crappy money losing BCS division programs outside of of the nati and Cbus.

You do realize that the football programs are funded by tuition, athletic fees, and college book store profits, right? Which was one of the things that turned me off CSU, same fees and book $$$, but no football.

You do realize that FCS schools lose more money on football than FBS schools do, right?
Spin

Unread postby Loo » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:45 pm

Spin wrote:My point is Ak hasn't been below NCAA standards since 2002, and they've had six losing seasons in those eight years. Seven of those seasons were in the Rubber Bowl. You've been there I assume. So what makes you think they will drop below standard now?

You bring up the non-opener non-Kent games, yet complain Kent's attendance will suffer because of two late season home games. It worked the same way for us last year. Two of the non-opener non-Kent games were late season. On weeknights, bad weather. And they were on TV anyhow. The wheels fell off the season two months before. So of course they're not going to draw, just as you worry about Kent's late games this year. The other two non-non's drew 18K and 16K. Above the standard. So we're not resorting to "Save our FBS status" campaigns anytime soon.

Difference of opinion.

Why do I think Akron will be better than the Flashes, well I hope they are certainly. But it's pure speculation. Akron is going to look completely different. The defense is going to be tough again this year, probably better than last year, with the switch to the 4-3. Maybe the best in the MAC.

The offense is where the question marks are. Both QB's had a lot of trouble adjusting to the new scheme in the spring game, and the freshmen receivers weren't dressed. Allen has to step it up at RB.

They'll be better, but how much? Nobody can say right now.

I'll let you make Kent's case...

Also don't forget that Kent's two-time All-MAC RB Eugene Jarvis was lost for the season in week 2. Once that happened, bowl eligibility was pretty much lost. I was very surprised they still managed to win 5 games.

That was quite the dampener.

Here's the condensed case for Kent--

Spencer Keith was the 4th best freshman QB (statistically) in the country last season. He fits perfectly in Doug Martin's WCO.

Frosh Tyshon Goode emerged as KSU's best WR, and developed quite a rapport with Keith. Those two should only get better as the game slows down a bit.

Jac Terry played pretty well at RB last year, but will now be the second option behind two-time All-MAC RB Eugene Jarvis, who is returning for a 6th season after missing all of 2009.

The left side of the offensive line is fantastic, and Pizzuro (incoming Frosh) looks very good and may start at RG from day one.

The offense wasn't spectacular in 2009, but every piece works well in the WCO, and there's really no reason why the O wouldn't take positive strides in 2010. The unit as a whole returns 8 starters.

S Brian Lainhart--now the FBS leader with 15 career INT--leads a very good defensive secondary. It'd be pretty hard to argue it won't be the best or second best unit behind Buffalo. Dylan Farrington, a frosh CB, has really stepped up and may get some playing time across from one of the better CB's in the MAC, Josh Pleasant. The front 7 is very undersized, but very fast. I'd like more size up front, but with Monte Simmons at the Buck it seems to work. All-Mac LB Cobrani Mixon is still in Kent, and the LB core should be improved.

Kent won 5 games with their best offensive weapon injured for the whole season, a frosh QB, their best WR was a frosh and they've returned their four best defensive players.

Kent has a very good chance to be bowl eligible.

Meanwhile Akron didn't have much of a running game in 2009, and their top back is gone. They'll also have to replace their entire secondary.

Bowl eligible for Akron? I agree they could be a little better, but I don't seem them improving by 4 games, and I don't see how they'll be better than Kent.
Loo

Unread postby jb » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:17 pm

Spin wrote:
jb wrote:Akron blows !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you're calling MY dig lame?

And I wouldn't be proud of the fact KSU has to try to get their attendance up to NCAA standards every few years.

Come on JB, you can do better than that.

That was just kick off.

And I don't care about attendance. Like that's smak. We're Apathy U. We're not supposed to go to like, football games.

Our bars are way better.
jb

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:02 pm

What is this "kent state football team", you speak of?

No one on campus cares, I can all but confirm that, they're all more concerned with protecting the endangered red cup.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Loo » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:21 pm

Triple-S wrote:What is this "kent state football team", you speak of?

No one on campus cares, I can all but confirm that, they're all more concerned with protecting the endangered red cup.

I'm well aware. I only went to one game, and I only know of one person who went to more than three--and quite frankly, he's a legend (if any of you have seen the video of the KSU reporter that made the rounds on Extra Mustard and VS. Network, he lived four doors down from me in the dorm).

I'll be at every game this season, but I have other circumstances now.
Loo

Unread postby Loo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:20 pm

Loo

Unread postby Spin » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:35 am

A little marketing goes a long way.

Right Akron?

Akron?

Hey, wake up.
Spin

Unread postby Loo » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:22 pm

Well, Akron is 0-8...rough times over there.

Kent has an uphill battle if they want to make their first bowl trip--Temple and Ohio come to Dix, so there's a chance, albeit a little one.

Anyone else really looking forward to MAC basketball?
Loo

Unread postby oboe1 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:20 pm

Well, Spin, it looks like you've got egg on your face.

Akron is 0-9 while Kent State is 4-4 with a win over the Zips.

And in attendance, Kent State's kicking Akron's butt there, too.

Through four home games, the Zips have attracted 48,221 fans.

In just three home games, Kent State has drawn 56,224.

One less game, yet 8,003 more fans.

You Akron people never were any good at math. Or reading. Or pretty much anything else.
oboe1

Favorite Player: Lone Ranger
Least Favorite Player: Tonto

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:50 pm

lol.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Loo » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:38 pm

Many people in Akron are becoming very, very quiet.

What's ironic is AU always talks trash about football, and they're eating crow.

KSU fans always talk trash about basketball (many are saying KSU being selected third in the East, one spot behind Akron, is laughable), but AU basketball may be on par with Kent this year--granted KSU has a lot of new faces, so who knows what to expect.
Loo

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:54 pm

Loo wrote:Many people in Akron are becoming very, very quiet.

KSU fans always talk trash about basketball (many are saying KSU being selected third in the East, one spot behind Akron, is laughable), but AU basketball may be on par with Kent this year--granted KSU has a lot of new faces, so who knows what to expect.

All I know is that graduates of both schools ultimately make excellent bartenders and oil change technicians. :nanner:

:hide:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:13 pm

peeker643 wrote:All I know is that graduates of both schools ultimately make excellent bartenders and oil change technicians. :nanner:

Hey now!

Don't forget we produce some of the best car washers in the country

Fight on for KSU, indeed.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:24 pm

Triple-S wrote:
peeker643 wrote:All I know is that graduates of both schools ultimately make excellent bartenders and oil change technicians. :nanner:

Hey now!

Don't forget we produce some of the best car washers in the country

Fight on for KSU, indeed.

It's alright. I just happened to go to the 'Harvard of the MAC' - BGSU (That's not what they call it?) ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:31 pm

peeker643 wrote:It's alright. I just happened to go to the 'Harvard of the MAC' - BGSU (That's not what they call it?) ;-) ;) :wink:

I've heard that it's been called "Boys and Girls Sexually United" of all things, sort of going off the whole "Kent Read, Kent Write, Kent State" thing.

Triple-S

Unread postby jb » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:18 pm

peeker643 wrote:

All I know is that graduates of both schools ultimately make excellent bartenders and oil change technicians. :nanner:

Wanker.

Kent State 30 … at Bowling Green 6

What Happened: Spencer Keith was almost perfect, completing 26-of-23 passes, and Tyshon Goode caught 12 passes with second quarter scoring plays from three and 28 yards out in the easy win. The Bowling Green offense gained just 135 yards and was held to -10 on the ground as the Golden Flash run defense was dominant and Roosevelt Nix led the pass rush with two sacks. The two teams converted just 5-of-28 third down chances and combined to turn it over five times.

Player of the Game: Kent State WR Tyshon Goode caught 12 passes for 158 yards and two scores.

Stat Leaders: Bowling Green – Passing: Matt Schilz, 18-35, 118 yds, 2 INT

Rushing: Calvin Wiley, 2-22 Receiving: Kamar Jorden, 5-36

Kent State – Passing: Spencer Keith, 26-32, 223 yds, 2 TD

Rushing: Jacquise Terry, 22-94 Receiving: Tyshon Goode, 12-158, 2 TD

What It All Means: If nothing else, Bowling Green is supposed to throw the ball. The miserable play from the offensive line killed the offense against the tremendous Kent State defense, and now on a five-game losing streak, the season has completely slipped away. This was the team’s worst performance of the year, and now it has to face a rested Central Michigan team with the MAC slate not easing up much. Forget about the running game. Ranking last in the nation, it’s not going to do anything. The last five games have to be all about bombing away and letting Matt Schilz getting as many throws as possible.

Akron is a basketball scholol, though. Not srprised they are going to be good.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/s ... ce=I-A_all
Last edited by jb on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Unread postby jb » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:23 pm

jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:53 pm

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Wanker.

What Happened: Spencer Keith was almost perfect, completing 26-of-23 passes, and Tyshon Goode caught 12 passes with second quarter scoring plays from three and 28 yards out in the easy win. The Bowling Green offense gained just 135 yards and was held to -10 on the ground as the Golden Flash run defense was dominant and Roosevelt Nix led the pass rush with two sacks. The two teams converted just 5-of-28 third down chances and combined to turn it over five times.

Player of the Game: Kent State WR Tyshon Goode caught 12 passes for 158 yards and two scores.

What It All Means: If nothing else, Bowling Green is supposed to throw the ball. The miserable play from the offensive line killed the offense against the tremendous Kent State defense, and now on a five-game losing streak, the season has completely slipped away. This was the team’s worst performance of the year, and now it has to face a rested Central Michigan team with the MAC slate not easing up much. Forget about the running game. Ranking last in the nation, it’s not going to do anything. The last five games have to be all about bombing away and letting Matt Schilz getting as many throws as possible.

This is a discussion about the vastly superior academic achievements and opportunities of BGSU alum. It's not about something as trivial, brutal or archaic as a football recap.

Jeez.

Like telling a Harvard grad that Clemson beat them in a football game. Same difference.

:nanner: :hide:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby pup » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:19 pm

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Wanker.

Love the MAC.

Where else can one complete 26 of 23 passes?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:25 pm

pup wrote:
jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Wanker.

Love the MAC.

The French 12?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:51 pm

pup wrote:
jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Wanker.

Love the MAC.

KSU alum statsticin I see.

peeker, you dooshbag, BG is ranked below North dakota State U. About 170. Kent is about 183. Both tower over the U, hoewver. LOL.
jb

Unread postby jb » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:53 pm

PS - ur rec builing looks like a bird.

Retarded.

And now for the biggest MAC alum fightin' words possible: Your strip of bars is lame.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:07 pm

jb wrote:KSU alum statsticin I see.

peeker, you dooshbag, BG is ranked below North dakota State U. About 170. Kent is about 183. Both tower over the U, hoewver. LOL.

After I left the academic rankings were bound to take a tumble.

Much like the Florida Football team when Timmy the Christ went NFL.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Spin » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:34 am

Laugh it up while you can. One day we will hire a coach not from Notre Dumb, and build a REAL program.

Til them we'll watch the world's football.

Seriously, a first year coach, stuck with JB's recruits and the train wreck of 09. That's one thing. Being completely unprepared and completely unable to make any adjustments, you guys wouldn't watch that either... The sooner that Faust-wannabe hits the Turnpike back to Sound Bend, the sooner we give a shit again.
Spin

Return to College Sports Arena