Text Size

No Holds Barred

Midterm Elections

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Midterm Elections

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:09 pm

Whigs, LOL.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... e_map.html

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... e_map.html

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect anything different, our only hope is gridlock and good luck. Biggest questions in my mind is whether Obama becomes Clinton or continues down the road of being Jimmy Carter and whether there is even the smallest chance of them getting together to play nice.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Midterm Elections

Unread postby jack_tors » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:28 pm

I dont see these parties at this time working together. If anything, things will continue on the path of further separation as people argue my pundit is better than your pundit. I would love to see people work together and put America first but I just dont see that short of some kind of terrorist attack.

I for one am ready for some partisan work to work on the economy and the deficit. I know my ballot was completed without looking at the letter after the names. The best candidate gets my vote and its a mix of both parties.

For those willing to share, what did you vote on Strickland vs Kasich?
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:17 pm

The best candidate in my district is an Independent, and projected to lose by double digits to both parties. So my dilemma is do I vote for the better candidate, knowing it's a wasted vote or do I vote for the lesser of 2 evils?

Its been a while since I can honestly say I like a candidate, so I think I'm tossing my vote his way regardless. I have a feeling voting for the Dems around here will be a wasted vote as well.

Ladies and gentlemen, its time to take a bite of the Ol' Shit Sandwich. God bless America.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:50 pm

Clinton got two terms, something Obama won't sniff, so BHO isn't Billy.

Our elections are a mess.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:16 pm

Needs Moar Ted Nugent
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:41 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:The best candidate in my district is an Independent, and projected to lose by double digits to both parties. So my dilemma is do I vote for the better candidate, knowing it's a wasted vote or do I vote for the lesser of 2 evils?

Its been a while since I can honestly say I like a candidate, so I think I'm tossing my vote his way regardless. I have a feeling voting for the Dems around here will be a wasted vote as well.

Ladies and gentlemen, its time to take a bite of the Ol' Shit Sandwich. God bless America.

Can't say I have any candidates I really took much joy in voting for... the best candidate I voted for is a democrat, go figure.

I threw away my vote for the Libertarian for my representative, but the democrat will win by 30%... Boulder is in my district, my vote doesnt mean shit.

Went with Ken Buck for senate simply because I would like to see the GOP take the senate even though I don't like how socially conservative Buck is. While Bennett isn't the worst democrat out there, I voted big picture. He is a rubber stamp for Obama, screw him. Went with Hickenlooper the democrat in the governors race though. If the guy can do for Colorado as governor as he did for Denver as mayor we are set.

I'd love to peek over that centrist JB tomorrow, I bet he has a hard time deciding which democrat to vote for. ;-) ;) :wink:
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby swerb » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:05 pm

For the first time in my voting life, there's actually a couple of candidates I feel good about voting for tomorrow in the state of OH in Kasich and Portman.

Voted for Taft, then regretted it and voted against him the second time he won. Voted for Blackwell in '06, but that was just an anti-Strickland vote. Same with Dewine when he lost to Sherrod Brown.

Voting for (R) Mandel for Auditor and (D) Cordray for AG. Abstaining in the SoS and Auditor elections.

Nationally, I'm just very down on what's going on. Obama, who I voted against but genuinely had high hopes for once he got in ... has been a disaster. Never has one man had a single bigger impact on the economy with his drunken sailor spending, anti-business comments and practices, threats of tax increases, and his jamming down America's throats of a health care policy 70% of the country loathes. He's a divisive smug idiot career politician. He's been a massive disappointment. The proof is in the pudding.

The result is going to be Mitch McConnell and John Boehner spending the next four years focusing more on making decisions more geared towards making Obama look bad and having him not be re-elected as opposed to making decisions in the best interest of the country. And the emergence of the Tea Party ... its just gonna keep the pressure on all the Republican power brokers focused on finishing off Obama. Clinton and Gingrich were both very smart and respected one another. To compare what we're heading into to that is lunacy.

The shame of it all is that America has never needed its politicians more. We're still at war. Real unemployment is god damn near 17%. Stated unemployment is 9.7% ... and isn't going down anytime soon. Businesses are terrified by this government, have learned how to work leaner, technology has eroded job needs, and people are just generally more productive. Unemployment is going to be high for a long time. Which is going to continue to hurt consumer spending and the housing market, which are the key components to getting this economy going.

:hic:
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:48 pm

lol.

I care so little about thess cannidates that i'm not even going to vote. Why waste 45 minutes of my busy day on worthless cocksuckers and assholes? Kasich will win they we get to experience Taft 2.0. Strickland is a creep of peeping Tom like proportions and I don't want to vote for him.

All the people running for Congress should be put against a wall and shot.

Kasich and his drool covered fat bottom lip, I hope he ends up as a ditch for cum.

Whigs, LOL.
Hey cunt, who is the leader of your party? Winning seats is all well and good, but you got exactly 2 years to find a face and a voice. Hell come 2012 the Tea Party might push their own cannidate, you can never tell with them.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:55 pm

Erie Warrior wrote: So my dilemma is do I vote for the better candidate, knowing it's a wasted vote or do I vote for the lesser of 2 evils?

Your individual vote is already practically worthless. If you vote, or don't vote, the election outcome will be the same. So vote for who you like.
All the Good Things Happening in Cleveland
http://www.clevelandnewsblog.com
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:59 pm

Commodore Perry wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote: So my dilemma is do I vote for the better candidate, knowing it's a wasted vote or do I vote for the lesser of 2 evils?

Your individual vote is already practically worthless. If you vote, or don't vote, the election outcome will be the same. So vote for who you like.

Pretty much this 1000 times.

If Kasich wins by anything less than 5 points i'll be surprised.

And I don't feel right about voting for Strickland just to vote against Kasich.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:20 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:lol.

I care so little about thess cannidates that i'm not even going to vote. Why waste 45 minutes of my busy day on worthless cocksuckers and assholes? Kasich will win they we get to experience Taft 2.0. Strickland is a creep of peeping Tom like proportions and I don't want to vote for him.

Kasich and his drool covered fat bottom lip, I hope he ends up as a ditch for cum.

Whigs, LOL.
Hey cunt, who is the leader of your party? Winning seats is all well and good, but you got exactly 2 years to find a face and a voice. Hell come 2012 the Tea Party might push their own cannidate, you can never tell with them.

haha, your anger is inversely proportional to the number of cigerettes you smoke assuming you are still cutting back (keep it up btw)

First it isnt "my" party. It is the party I most associate with, but I am certainly not taking up for all the assholes in the party. I vote for who I most agree with and who I think will do the best job.

Secondly, like I told you before a face of the party will come around soon enough. The primaries are likely to start tomorrow so just relax. Who was the face of the Democratic party circa 2006?

Kinda hoping John Hoeven becomes a bigger name and throws his hat in the ring so people can learn more about the guy. I like him.

I hope the tea party pushes it's own candidate. Good for the process, I have long wanted more than 2 parties so why should I rip it now. Just because JB and Keith Olbermann like to call them hypocrites and racists doesn't make it so no matter how many times they repeat it. It also doesn't take away that at the core they have their points. (I should also add that if Palin is still the face of that movement it isn't going anywhere, I understand that).

The rest of what you said... well... yup. I voted early because they offer to mail it to you in Colorado. Not wasting any time today, just going to sit back and watch the Whigs take over the house and essentially handcuff Barry from doing anything else to crush the economy.

Edit: I should add I hope Bloomberg throws his hat in the ring too. The only way we are going to get out of this cycle of picking a turd sandwich and a douche is to have more options. Two options for the worlds most important job is not enough.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:23 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Commodore Perry wrote:

Pretty much this 1000 times.

If Kasich wins by anything less than 5 points i'll be surprised.

And I don't feel right about voting for Strickland just to vote against Kasich.

Agreeing with everything here, which is why I get so pissed when someone says voting for a minor party is a wasted vote. Only a moron would think his vote counts more when he votes for the winner, unless the winner literally won by one vote.

And I'm abstaining once again from voting, because everyone that shows up on my ballot is slime. If I thought the "one vote margin" rule might apply in the Sutton-Ganley race, I might show up and vote for Ganley, even though he's scum. Since it doesn't, I won't.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:35 pm

Ziner wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:lol.

Whigs, LOL.

haha, your anger is inversely proportional to the number of cigerettes you smoke assuming you are still cutting back (keep it up btw)

First it isnt "my" party. It is the party I most associate with, but I am certainly not taking up for all the assholes in the party. I vote for who I most agree with and who I think will do the best job.

Secondly, like I told you before a face of the party will come around soon enough. The primaries are likely to start tomorrow so just relax. Who was the face of the Democratic party circa 2006?

Kinda hoping John Hoeven becomes a bigger name and throws his hat in the ring so people can learn more about the guy. I like him.

I hope the tea party pushes it's own candidate. Good for the process, I have long wanted more than 2 parties so why should I rip it now. Just because JB and Keith Olbermann like to call them hypocrites and racists doesn't make it so no matter how many times they repeat it. It also doesn't take away that at the core they have their points. (I should also add that if Palin is still the face of that movement it isn't going anywhere, I understand that).

The rest of what you said... well... yup. I voted early because they offer to mail it to you in Colorado. Not wasting any time today, just going to sit back and watch the Whigs take over the house and essentially handcuff Barry from doing anything else to crush the economy.

Just assume anytime I call you a name it's me joking. Fucking nicotine.....

Who was the face of the Democratic party circa 2006?

Obama was still a rising name and I ask you to look no further than 2004 for the Dems. They waited and waited and ended up with John Fucking Kerry. You don't want to end up with John Kerry do you? Of course not, nobody wants John Kerry.

I hear George Romero is putting together the campaign for McCain 2012.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:44 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

I know, how is the cutting back going? Just go cold turkey man... the problem is when my wife did it she had to give up alcohol for about 6 months. I know I would have a damn hard time doing that.

Obama was still a rising name and I ask you to look no further than 2004 for the Dems. They waited and waited and ended up with John Fucking Kerry. You don't want to end up with John Kerry do you? Of course not, nobody wants John Kerry.

I hear George Romero is putting together the campaign for McCain 2012.

Ugh, McCain. Yeah of course I don't want John Kerry, the problem is there is a small chance I will like who it is anyway, but there will be a face. At least I have hope though, you already know your candidate is a douche :nanner:
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:50 pm

Agreeing with everything here, which is why I get so pissed when someone says voting for a minor party is a wasted vote. Only a moron would think his vote counts more when he votes for the winner, unless the winner literally won by one vote.

And I'm abstaining once again from voting, because everyone that shows up on my ballot is slime. If I thought the "one vote margin" rule might apply in the Sutton-Ganley race, I might show up and vote for Ganley, even though he's scum. Since it doesn't, I won't.
I've always supported a person's right and choice to not vote. The bottom line is if you do not support the candidate and their POV/ideology then why would you give them your vote of support? Not to mention how much I hate "you have to vote for somebody" POV. Voting for the lesser of two or more evils does not equate to a choice or equate to a good use of a vote.

FUDU

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:53 pm

FUDU wrote:

I've always supported a person's right and choice to not vote. The bottom line is if you do not support the candidate and their POV/ideology then why would you give them your vote of support? Not to mention how much I hate "you have to vote for somebody" POV. Voting for the lesser of two or more evils does not equate to a choice or equate to a good use of a vote.

This reminds me of one other thing that drives me nuts among the "you must vote" tools. I am so sick of hearing "if you don't vote, then you don't have the right to complain". The way I see it, if you vote for the winner, you have no right to complain about his/her performance. You helped put that asshole into office. Live with it silently.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:59 pm

jfiling wrote:
FUDU wrote:

This reminds me of one other thing that drives me nuts among the "you must vote" tools. I am so sick of hearing "if you don't vote, then you don't have the right to complain". The way I see it, if you vote for the winner, you have no right to complain about his/her performance. You helped put that asshole into office. Live with it silently.
Agreed. Problem is those people equate voting with a right to do whatever afterward, like complaining. What a person really has no business complaining about is if their guy didn't get in and they didn't vote, then it's tough shit get to the booth.

Something I noticed today, no large groups of people campaigning outside the voting facility. Maybe I missed something but did they put a stop to this recently? Relieving and refreshing.

FUDU

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:41 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Obama was still a rising name and I ask you to look no further than 2004 for the Dems. They waited and waited and ended up with John Fucking Kerry. You don't want to end up with John Kerry do you? Of course not, nobody wants John Kerry.

exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:45 pm

^ awesome picture, thanks for the laugh.

Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:46 pm

^ awesome administration, thanks for the laugh.

FUDU

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:52 pm

We can't forget this John Kerry classic:
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby swerb » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:07 pm

Kerry was an awful candidate. But I agree with CDT, the Republicans have no strong candidate right now that is likely to run. Its early, and things can change, but it is resembling the Dems situation two years before the '04 election.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:42 pm

Ziner wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

I know, how is the cutting back going? Just go cold turkey man... the problem is when my wife did it she had to give up alcohol for about 6 months. I know I would have a damn hard time doing that.

Dude if I tried to go cold turkey I would probably end up in jail and get banned from here. I'm such a giant prick when I need a cigarette, it even amazes me. It's certain things that trigger wanting to smoke, having a beer, driving, or after a meal all make we want a cigarette. I'm down to about ten from near a pack a day, but if I have a shitty day a work it's back up to where it was.

If i'm thinking like a Republican looking at 2012, I see the two most electable names as Pawlenty and Jindal. The Primaries will be tough for both when they leave their home regions. Alot of dark horses too. I think it's pretty important for someone in the GOP to take a step forward as a leader of the party in the next 6 months. The more time independents and undecided voters have to get familar with a cannidate the better.

And for fuck's sake, dump Michael Steele. That dude is a liability.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:49 pm

swerb wrote:Kerry was an awful candidate. But I agree with CDT, the Republicans have no strong candidate right now that is likely to run. Its early, and things can change, but it is resembling the Dems situation two years before the '04 election.

Well, they do have a strong candidate, but the party leadership has to be crapping their pants at the thought of Sarah Palin the Republican nominee.

From what I've gathered, Pawlenty makes Al Gore look like David Lee Roth and Jindal's headed for a collision with the same 'white male Protestant' wall that wiped out Mitt Romney. To be honest, I really think Romney could beat Obama but he's got a long haul to go with his own party.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:53 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote: To be honest, I really think Romney could beat Obama but he's got a long haul to go with his own party.

I don't think Romney would fair well in the southern primaries.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:58 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Madre Hill, Superstar wrote: To be honest, I really think Romney could beat Obama but he's got a long haul to go with his own party.

I feel like from what I know about him I should like Romney, but something about him makes me not trust him.

I think there will be some new names that come forward to join the Huckabee, Romney, Pawlenty, Jindal, group. Names like Thune, Hoeven, and maybe even Paul Ryan and probably 3-4 people few have heard of.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby jack_tors » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:01 pm

Really Kentucky? Rand fucking Paul? Thats the best you can come up with?

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:14 pm

jack_tors wrote:Really Kentucky? Rand fucking Paul? Thats the best you can come up with?

Yeah, Ol' crazy Kentucky, how dare they send a person who is not a career politician, who could look at thing from a different point of view, to the senate. Nutjobs. Sheesh, he even believes in a limited government.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby jack_tors » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:16 pm

Ziner wrote:
jack_tors wrote:Really Kentucky? Rand fucking Paul? Thats the best you can come up with?

Yeah, Ol' crazy Kentucky, how dare they send a person who is not a career politician, who could look at thing from a different point of view, to the senate. Nutjobs. Sheesh, he even believes in a limited government.

Please, dont paint me into the big govt liberal corner. Thats fucking lame. Rand is a fucking whack job and I have seen/heard enough from him to not get my vote.

-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:23 pm

He is one of 100. It wouldnt hurt our government to have some new voices. That's all I am saying. You may think he is a nut job for whatever reason, but that doesnt mean he has legitimate points and stances. He is different from most of the establishment currently. Not sure how that isnt seen as a good thing. It isnt as if he has unchecked power to abolish all government programs.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:30 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

Agreed, but it's still too early to tell who's going to step forward. Sure Pawlenty and Jindal are names out there right now, but what about guys like Haley Barbour or Chris Christie? There are probably a half-dozen others just like that who could easily step up. It will be interesting for sure; it could be a position to hit a home run as easily as it could be a position to shit the bed.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby jack_tors » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:32 pm

Ziner wrote:He is one of 100. It wouldnt hurt our government to have some new voices. That's all I am saying. You may think he is a nut job for whatever reason, but that doesnt mean he has legitimate points and stances. He is different from most of the establishment currently. Not sure how that isnt seen as a good thing. It isnt as if he has unchecked power to abolish all government programs.

Totally agree on the new voice and the fact he isnt a career politician. We definitely need more it. All for new blood, not just a guy like Paul. :cheers:

-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:52 pm

Marco Rubio impressed me with his speech tonight. He looks to be the next up-and-comer in the GOP.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:57 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Marco Rubio impressed me with his speech tonight. He looks to be the next up-and-comer in the GOP.

Couldn't agree more. He was very reserved and mature while being completely confident and under control. Basically came out and told the republican crowd not to start sucking each others' dicks just yet.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:05 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:Marco Rubio impressed me with his speech tonight. He looks to be the next up-and-comer in the GOP.

Couldn't agree more. He was very reserved and mature while being completely confident and under control. Basically came out and told the republican crowd not to start sucking each others' dicks just yet.

Give him 4.5 years in the Senate and let him loose for 2016.

Spoke well, very fluently, very directly, and it felt like he was speaking to each individual. Very impressed.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby idoctribefan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:25 am

I can't believe 125,155 assholes voted for Bridget McCafferty. Thankfully she still lost.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:57 pm

The common man will continue to be torn at the seams by dirty politicians and ignorant masses until those that truly care about community stand up and fight for whats rightfully theirs. Politics/capitalistic ideals in this country have turned into a cesspool of greed, empty promises, and wanton spending/backroom deal-making by BOTH sides. Capitalism in this country used to have an entrepreneurial mindset; now its how to manipulate a $ on the sole basis of speculation. Robber Barons are more prevalent now than in the mid 30's, the only difference is that instead of oil companies and factories, they're doing it with computers, hedge funds, a billion Chinese, and a hand in the government's pocket. If people are really pissed off and tired of being F'd by ineffective policy making and corporate America, hate to say it Mr. John Q. Public, but change is only coming by way of a voice and a gun not a ballot and a hope. Money is power - always has been, always will be.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:56 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:The best candidate in my district is an Independent, and projected to lose by double digits to both parties.

4% of the vote. The guy they put in owns a car dealership (Rep.).
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby jfiling » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:32 pm

FUDU wrote:Agreed. Problem is those people equate voting with a right to do whatever afterward, like complaining. What a person really has no business complaining about is if their guy didn't get in and they didn't vote, then it's tough shit get to the booth.

Something I noticed today, no large groups of people campaigning outside the voting facility. Maybe I missed something but did they put a stop to this recently? Relieving and refreshing.

Some guy at CNBC.com put up a post I wish I had seen yesterday. It's called "It's Okay That You're Not Voting Today", and it makes a ton of sense.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39970869
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:42 pm

jfiling wrote:
FUDU wrote:Agreed. Problem is those people equate voting with a right to do whatever afterward, like complaining. What a person really has no business complaining about is if their guy didn't get in and they didn't vote, then it's tough shit get to the booth.

Some guy at CNBC.com put up a post I wish I had seen yesterday. It's called "It's Okay That You're Not Voting Today", and it makes a ton of sense.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39970869

I said it another thread here on NHB a while back, but I didn't vote yesterday. Not because I was lazy or whatever but because, apparently like many of you, it feels pointless. It feels like the common man/woman has been disenfranchised and that the polarization of the process has served as the avenue for that disenfranchisement.

I feel guilty because I have three kids whose future I should be voting for but I can't shake the feeling that no matter what happens it's just more of the same shit.

If and when the revolution comes, and the money is removed as a qualifier for political ability and opportunity, well, maybe then I'll be interested again. As for now, it'll have to really hit home. Individuals who reach me and issues like schools that determine the value of homes, neighborhoods and communities.

That's it.

The rest of these assholes can fuck themselves silly.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jfiling » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:43 pm

Of course, George Carlin said it even better:
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:06 pm

idoctribefan wrote:I can't believe 125,155 assholes voted for Bridget McCafferty. Thankfully she still lost.

...or that Fitzgerald won after he campaigned against Issue 6. The very Issue that created the job he just won. This after his name came up in Dimora's indictment. He beat Dolan + Lanci's votes. Ugh, the machine is still powerful here in Cuyahoga County.

125,000 people voted for a judge so in trouble with the Fed's in this corruption case that she can't even do her job. Fitzgerald got 178,000... 125,000 people should be shot.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:50 pm

peeker643 wrote: As for now, it'll have to really hit home. Individuals who reach me and issues like schools that determine the value of homes, neighborhoods and communities.

You folks still have to pass a levy every time someone needs a new pencil sharpener?
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:08 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
peeker643 wrote: As for now, it'll have to really hit home. Individuals who reach me and issues like schools that determine the value of homes, neighborhoods and communities.

You folks still have to pass a levy every time someone needs a new pencil sharpener?

Pretty much dude. It's a never-ending battle between parents of school aged kids vs. those who have done their child raising duties and no longer want to pay for others.

Pays to be in a growing community at times like that when it's your kids in the middle of the educational system. Levies ultimately pass. But where I grew up, where it's mostly elderly white folks and young, urban families in apartments, shit. Those levies have almost no chance. And then the deterioration becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. The elderly now are in a race to die off or be burglarized/assaulted.

It's not good.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:26 pm

That funding system has been declared illegal twice, then (historically) republicans take the bench and the ruling is overturned. That's why I left. Schools mishandle money, just like every business, but shit rolls downhill, and you should never be able to vote no to kids.

I totally understand the disenfranchised public thing. I'm pretty much there my self, but the "I Voted" sticker is good for kids to see.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:30 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:That funding system has been declared illegal twice, then (historically) republicans take the bench and the ruling is overturned. That's why I left. Schools mishandle money, just like every business, but shit rolls downhill, and you should never be able to vote no to kids.

I totally understand the disenfranchised public thing. I'm pretty much there my self, but the "I Voted" sticker is good for kids to see.

Problem is, it is the only vote you can place directly against taxes. Can't deny it isnt a fucked up system. Counties and the state can raise sales taxes as they want while the schools need to come to the voters for every pencil sharpener as you mentioned.

My dad was on the school board for about 16 years, seemed like they were fighting every 2 years. Funny how a lot of older people revolt over the school levies, but don't dare touch their social security.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:17 am

Today is the first day in awhile that I have not seen pop-up ads here at TCF....in Ohio... promoting Kelly, Toomey and Corbett

...all PA Republicans who won
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:43 am

Warrior, Ziner, Peeker.....anyone with young children or interested in education....have you guys seen the new documentary "Waiting for Superman"

Usually I wouldn't recommend something that basically will either A. Make you cry or B. Jump off a cliff, but if ya got some kids and have an interest in the future, you might wanna take a look.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:26 pm

leadpipe wrote:Warrior, Ziner, Peeker.....anyone with young children or interested in education....have you guys seen the new documentary "Waiting for Superman"

Usually I wouldn't recommend something that basically will either A. Make you cry or B. Jump off a cliff, but if ya got some kids and have an interest in the future, you might wanna take a look.

I haven't seen it yet, although we discussed the topic in one of my grad classes. It hasn't come to theaters here, but I'll see it eventually.

I did watch the discussion and round table on CNN a few weeks ago, and there were some interesting things said.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:48 pm

Eric Cantor came out today with a 22 page document/plan on how to change congress. This is part of his move to be elected house majority leader. I haven't had a chance to read through the document yet, but I linked it below. Would love to hear some of the opinions on this.

article concerning the document...

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1110/44641.html

copy of the plan...

http://republicanwhip.house.gov/Majority/Cantor.pdf

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Next

Return to No Holds Barred