Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Bron channels Tiger

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Bron channels Tiger

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:50 pm

JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Re: Bron channels Tiger

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:56 pm

I become more convinced every day that Dan Gilbert should buy out every ticket for his return. Anything else will be refracted by Nike, ESPN and LeBron, making Cleveland come out the other end as the bad guy.

We're just a few days away from the fawning begining anew, and we'll be the only ones left with a bitter taste in our mouths.

It's time to just ignore this guy and hope that karma indeed is a bitch.
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:03 pm

For the ease of people wanting to watch in the thread...

If I'd had the chance to start the thread I've had sarcastically named it "LeBron Gets It". Because obviously he doesn't.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby daddywags » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:46 pm

Why the hell is he asking me? Do I like have a vote here? He's expecting me to think he cares? Egads. That's awful LeBron. Look - I know you don't care what I think. I know you don't care what anybody thinks besides a few special people. Trying to convince me otherwise with some foolish media is playing me for a sucker yet one more time. Maybe that's what you intended. If so, nicely done.
daddywags

Unread postby DrPoove » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:03 pm

It either shows:

A) How stupid he is because of how it is so out of touch with what was wrong with "how" he did it.

or

B) He knows "how" he did it was asinine and doesn't care and it rubbing our face in it.

Either way he is either a giant douche or a turd sandwich.

Guy can do what he wants but how you treat people does mean something. At least it did before out society because so f#cked up. IMHO.
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:13 pm

But of course, he is not implying Cavs fans "get over it"

He needs to stop talking...because with each breath he shows what a mental midget he really is.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:45 am

It isn't going to help his image. It isn't going to help us forgive him. But he needs to admit how he did it was wrong and apologize for THAT. Whether we accept the apology or not, that doesn't matter.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby idoctribefan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:56 am

Saw this thread title and was hoping for a low-speed single-car traffic accident in Bron's front lawn. But alas.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby aoxo1 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:25 am

Bill the Butcher wrote:It isn't going to help his image. It isn't going to help us forgive him. But he needs to admit how he did it was wrong and apologize for THAT. Whether we accept the apology or not, that doesn't matter.

Honestly, who gives a shit about how he did it? It was so obviously bad that everyone points to that, but I would have been just as pissed off if he did it in the normal manner.

Yeah, it shows he is a punk to everyone else. But I already had come 90% of the way to that conclusion in the Boston series.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby jb » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:59 pm

Yeah..... petulence as the new marketing central message. Great idea!

Although he didn't murder anyone like Orenthal, it is plain to see if you study the Q rating demographics that Bron is dead to middle white America. He's gone from everyone's smiling cross over icon like OJ running in airports to the pariah of those that actualy spend the majority of Association lower bowl and luxury suit money. He showed incompatible values. He and Nike know it. So now after studying his Q ratings he is being rebranded into a Black Power rebel whose endorsments will now be pidgeon-holed to overpriced sneakers and urban wear. IOW, AI.

So much for the billion dollar global icon wannabe.

And the answer is yes, you did ruin your legacy. And yes, don't listen to your friends when it comes to this stuff.

The equally hillarious and pathetic irony is that this guy, the ultimate follower, the guy who had to suckle at the teets of D Wade and Chris Bosh to win is trying to come off as the lone rebel who took the road less travelled.

Nice shot at Barkley. The retort will be 100x better though.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:56 pm

The equally hillarious and pathetic irony is that this guy, the ultimate follower, the guy who had to suckle at the teets of D Wade and Chris Bosh to win is trying to come off as the lone rebel who took the road less travelled.

Rack this
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:45 pm

The overall thing, is, either lebron is to ignorant to realize how the region of notheast as a collective region views him as an asshole, or is to arrogant, following his ass being kissed by the masses.

like to think it's a bit of both.

Does he not understand how bad he made the area look on national television by his actions? Does he think he's bigger than NEOhio as a whole?

No, lewhore, I don't want to get over it. Tell me why I should. I am very proud to have been born and raised in this area and have a loyalty towards it. For someone to have had the advantage to give back and do something proactive towards the people that raised him, by at least allowing the area to have one more thing to be proud of, those things really becoming fewer and fewer by the day.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Spin » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:11 pm

NOW he asks "What should I do"?

Things would have been a LOT different if he had asked that question before his hour long prime time SCREW OHIO FEST.

Here's what you should do. Go to hell.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby papacass » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:40 pm

jb wrote:The equally hillarious and pathetic irony is that this guy, the ultimate follower, the guy who had to suckle at the teets of D Wade and Chris Bosh to win is trying to come off as the lone rebel who took the road less travelled.

He did take the road less traveled. He is a rebel. He did something Jordan, Bird, Isiah...none of them would have done. The ethos of the traditional NBA superstar, he pissed all over it.

Either Bron is going to redefine what it means to be a superstar in the NBA, or he's going to go into the history books as the biggest twit and waste of superstar talent this side of Shawn Kemp. There isn't an in-between.

You can call LBJ a weenie for wanting to hide behind two other superstars when the going gets tough. You'd probably be right. But as far as his reputation goes, he's either really brave or really crazy. But he definitely didn't take the safe route, which was either to stay in Cleveland, or head to Chicago or New York.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby aoxo1 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:09 pm

Guys, you do realize that the point of the commercial is that it is ridiculous for LeBron to try to conform to what everyone else thinks he should be and what he should do. The point is that he doesn't need to and shouldn't have to do what other people want him to.

Unfortunately, he doesn't realize that just because no one should be able to tell him what to do doesn't mean that his actions don't have consequences.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby pup » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:14 pm

Ya'all don't really believe that outside of the 216, once we hit Christmas and the Heat are 20-2, LBJ will be anything different than LBJ?

Marketing. Sales. Everything. You believe leaving Cleveland really hurts his shot at global icon? Not even close.

Listen to anyone Nationally talk. It is now (in a lot of eyes) and will be soon (in most of the rest of the eyes) LeBron's Miami Heat. It isn't a choice. You cannot call shotgun on being the HMFIC. EOD, he is the best player on that team, in that state, in this league and on this planet.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:27 pm

pup wrote:Listen to anyone Nationally talk. It is now (in a lot of eyes) and will be soon (in most of the rest of the eyes) LeBron's Miami Heat. It isn't a choice. You cannot call shotgun on being the HMFIC. EOD, he is the best player on that team, in that state, in this league and on this planet.

Remind the class again how many rings did he win with back to back 60 win teams?
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby pup » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:33 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
pup wrote:Listen to anyone Nationally talk. It is now (in a lot of eyes) and will be soon (in most of the rest of the eyes) LeBron's Miami Heat. It isn't a choice. You cannot call shotgun on being the HMFIC. EOD, he is the best player on that team, in that state, in this league and on this planet.

Remind the class again how many rings did he win with back to back 60 win teams?

Remind the class once again how many games those 60 win teams will manage without him.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:37 pm

pup wrote:Remind the class once again how many games those 60 win teams will manage without him.

Magic 8-Ball says the future's cloudy, but if they win forty plus and sneak into a low-rent playoff spot while Kobe's hoisting gold again, you can feel free to start calling him LeWince Carter.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:14 pm

Seems to me nationally they are ready to destroy what they built up already. It is the way of the media, massive build-up, only to destroy. If you don't think he has taken a permanent hit you have your head in the sand. Even people in the 216 are smart enough to figure that out...

Freaking Mike and Mike are already talking how his first championship won't have the innocence of most "first" championships, and it will mostly be relief.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:28 pm

pup wrote:Ya'all don't really believe that outside of the 216, once we hit Christmas and the Heat are 20-2, LBJ will be anything different than LBJ?

Marketing. Sales. Everything. You believe leaving Cleveland really hurts his shot at global icon? Not even close.

Listen to anyone Nationally talk. It is now (in a lot of eyes) and will be soon (in most of the rest of the eyes) LeBron's Miami Heat. It isn't a choice. You cannot call shotgun on being the HMFIC. EOD, he is the best player on that team, in that state, in this league and on this planet.
Sorry pup but that is inaccurate, LBJ is the most dangerous player, it doesn't equate to him being the best. Every week that goes by from here on out will most likely further expose/show/prove exactly what kind of player LeBron really is in more objectivity than the mix of reviews we've had for 7 years due to local subjectivity and non local envy/player hatin.

1 game (and I know it is only 1) the difference is his supporting cast now is just a way more overpaid supporting cast. Just sayin for just sayin's sake.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:17 pm

FUDU wrote:
pup wrote:Ya'all don't really believe that outside of the 216, once we hit Christmas and the Heat are 20-2, LBJ will be anything different than LBJ?

Sorry pup but that is inaccurate, LBJ is the most dangerous player, it doesn't equate to him being the best. Every week that goes by from here on out will most likely further expose/show/prove exactly what kind of player LeBron really is in more objectivity than the mix of reviews we've had for 7 years due to local subjectivity and non local envy/player hatin.

1 game (and I know it is only 1) the difference is his supporting cast now is just a way more overpaid supporting cast. Just sayin for just sayin's sake.

This is why you shouldn't "say for sayin' sake"

The only difference in his supporting cast now is just a way overpaid supporting cast?

Good Christ on a pony the irrationality that is bourne from this.

Kobe is still the same arrogant selfish prick that raped a motel clerk in Colorado. The same guy that everyone either A. made fun of or B. was disgusted by him waffling back to his trim with a 9 jillion dollar ring.

And all that is pretty much forgotten.

Time will pass, he'll win, he'll continue to be the biggest draw in the sport. His reputation here will NEVER be healed, and while his reputation nationally may never be quite the same, he'll still be the biggest draw in that league. And, to Pup's point, if you're the biggest draw in the league, that bodes well for your marketing.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:34 pm

leadpipe wrote:Kobe is still the same arrogant selfish prick that raped a motel clerk in Colorado. The same guy that everyone either A. made fun of or B. was disgusted by him waffling back to his trim with a 9 jillion dollar ring.

Just ask Ray Lewis, Jamal Lewis, and Tiger 'n Michael Vick in a couple years. Keep your nose clean afterward and your skill level high and its amazing what the people will forget.

Yet they still won't let Art Modell or Pete Rose inside the Hall of Fame without a ticket. Mark McGwire returned from a several year exile and all the articles were still about him being on the juice. How much time will Brett Favre spend just before his Canton induction mending fences with Green Bay and New York and maybe even Minnesota instead of answering questions about the time he texted his yank?

You can be a douche all you want off the field, nobody'll bat an eyelid. Its when you fuck with the fans and what they believe in that you well and truly fuck with your image.
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:05 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
leadpipe wrote:Kobe is still the same arrogant selfish prick that raped a motel clerk in Colorado. The same guy that everyone either A. made fun of or B. was disgusted by him waffling back to his trim with a 9 jillion dollar ring.

Just ask Ray Lewis, Jamal Lewis, and Tiger 'n Michael Vick in a couple years. Keep your nose clean afterward and your skill level high and its amazing what the people will forget.

Yet they still won't let Art Modell or Pete Rose inside the Hall of Fame without a ticket. Mark McGwire returned from a several year exile and all the articles were still about him being on the juice. How much time will Brett Favre spend just before his Canton induction mending fences with Green Bay and New York and maybe even Minnesota instead of answering questions about the time he texted his yank?

You can be a douche all you want off the field, nobody'll bat an eyelid. Its when you fuck with the fans and what they believe in that you well and truly fuck with your image.

No, really, being behind a knifing, rape standing dogs, and raping women are much less forgivable that the travesty that was "the decision." With sports fans, or anyone. Again, outside of the Cleveland bubble he did nothing to fans besides disappoint them and look incredibly self unaware and arrogant. Which, incidentally happens all the time to sports fans, its just that the stakes were high here because of the player and the spectacle. (To use Modell and Rose as comparables is pretty much the definition of apples to oranges)

We can agree he f'd over Cleveland. Did he F over New York? Chicago? He simply didn't choose them, so they are bent. Be over it in no time, and more to the point, even while they are still going thru the process of getting over it, they'll still be goin' to his games and watchin' him play. As Simmons has said several times, there is nodody in that league that lights up arenas and brings in that aura like Lebron. That will still be fact this year and beyond, whether the opinion of the man has changed a bit or not.

Again, as I like to say, this will all play out. Some of you guys are actin' like just because he F'd over Cleveland he's gonna blow and people aren't going to want to see him play. Might be what we want, but it ain't gonna be what we get.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:19 pm

I had already hit post when I realized I was throwing out random names and had better examples like A-Rod and Roger Clemens. Favre still likely applies.

Will people pay to watch him? Sure. Kid still has electrifying talent. Will he ever be as popular as he was pre-Decision? Not likely. Will everyone continue to regard him as a grade-A dick? Signs point to 'yes'.
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby OffBase » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:07 pm

I would love it if someone with video skills would produce a youtube parody of this garbage. The video would feature a Cavaliers fan asking questions such as:

Is it possible to forgive a professional ballplayer for tanking a playoff series?

Did he fake that elbow injury?

And so on... A video such as this would go viral on youtube.
OffBase
Serenity Now!

Favorite Player: The Cleveland Fans
Least Favorite Player: LeBastard

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:32 pm

leadpipe wrote:Good Christ on a pony the irrationality that is bourne from this.

Kobe is still the same arrogant selfish prick that raped a motel clerk in Colorado. The same guy that everyone either A. made fun of or B. was disgusted by him waffling back to his trim with a 9 jillion dollar ring.

Time will pass, he'll win, he'll continue to be the biggest draw in the sport. His reputation here will NEVER be healed, and while his reputation nationally may never be quite the same, he'll still be the biggest draw in that league. And, to Pup's point, if you're the biggest draw in the league, that bodes well for your marketing.

I don't find it odd really. These are many of the same folks who would blame him for each of the 20 losses over the past 2 years so.... there is some consistency there. ;-) ;) :wink:

I'm with Raab. I have an irrational and admitted hatred of the very best player on earth. That's fine by me. I can hate him and wish him bodily harm without being blind to the truth about the guy.

I completely understand that God/Karma/Buddha/Mohamed reaching down and tearing LBJs ACLs is likely the only way to keep him from winning 3 or 4 titles in the next 6 years.

So that's what I pray for every single night. That and peace on earth and good will toward men.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:56 am

leadpipe wrote:This is why you shouldn't "say for sayin' sake"

The only difference in his supporting cast now is just a way overpaid supporting cast?

Good Christ on a pony the irrationality that is bourne from this.

I don't think you understood my post at all Lead. I was simply addressing 2 points:

A) the differing perspective's on LBJ's game over the past 7 years depending on whether one is a local (fan) or a general outsider (not Clevelander, not fan). Let's face it many close to home and general fans of LeBron have not been 100% objective about his game, often neglecting to see his faults, while on a more national basis you've heard more specific criticisms of his game (fair or not).

B) The revisionist history the vast majority of the media and many fans have put on display these past 5 months. Funny how so many people forget how the Cavaliers were favored to win it all, from the start of the season by many and at the start of the playoffs by most. Then since their early exit the supporting cast crap started, talk about some intellectual dishonesty from most basketball people.

So that is why I say from here on out we will see the player LeBron really is. He's been labeled as the one who makes everyone around him better, yet his supporting cast of a season ago all of a sudden sucked overnight? Now he has 2 top ten talents in the league as his supporting cast, the "LBJ makes others better" logic suggests Wade/Bosh should be unbelievable from here on out. Which is why I say now we'll see just what kind of player LeBron is. Was he making others better, or just getting them easy open looks (that anyone could knock down). So again, after game 1, if you put a mask on the Miami Heat players on the most anticipated opening night in recent NBA history the only way you'd know it wasn't Mo, Andy, JJ and AP is by looking at their salaries.

That doesn't = me suggesting Miami goes 0-82 or that LBJ will suck.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA