Text Size

College Sports Arena

OSU-Purdue Game Thread

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

OSU-Purdue Game Thread

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:22 am

I'm here on press row again today, so that means I won't have the benefit of the sparkling BTN play-by-play account of the game...so I'll appreciate any of the TV crew's "insights" that you guys can share as the game goes along.

It's ironic how "in the dark" the media is up here sometimes....we have every statistic we could ever want, right at our fingertips, but the TV audience often is alerted about things like player injuries and such long before anyone up here knows what's going on.

Cool, overcast day in C-bus, 40 minutes from kickoff...they say the rain might hold off until after the game...
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Re: OSU-Purdue Game Thread

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:01 pm

Best of luck to the buckeyes, except for this game. ;).

Don't see how this will go for the boilermakers though, I mean, you got, still quite a green QB in Henry, and a starting runningback and starting wide receivers out.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:11 pm

Solomon Thomas starting instead of Nate Williams....Gant in at safety in the base defense
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:29 pm

One of the guys just tweeted an interesting stat.....Dan Herron has never had a 100-yd game at OSU. He has 60+ in the first quarter today

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:38 pm

Saine gets a rushing attempt for the first time in three games

danwismar

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:47 pm

lol. Hall got crushed mid air and they went right back to him.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:21 pm

I love being wrong when I predict a closer game, and it's a Buckeye blowout.

35-0 before halftime

danwismar

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:23 pm

theres always next year I suppose.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:25 pm

Pryor has completed passes to nine different receivers in the first half. That's cool.

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:27 pm

First career TD for Philly Brown....nice catch!

danwismar

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:29 pm

I want to maul Purpoo. Put 70+ on them and leave their battered and beaten corpse on the side of the road.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:33 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I want to maul Purpoo. Put 70+ on them and leave their battered and beaten corpse on the side of the road.

why?

seems like a stupid team to want to "maul". I'd be more pissed at Michigan and the SEC.

Triple-S

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:37 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I want to maul Purpoo. Put 70+ on them and leave their battered and beaten corpse on the side of the road.

works for me.

I'd love to see a whole lot of Kenny Guiton in the 2nd half...and Jaamal Berry

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:41 pm

Halftime stats are ugly for the Boilers:

First downs: OSU 23 Purdue 3 (zero 1st downs in the 2nd quarter for Purdue)

Total Yards: OSU 415, Purdue 47

Passing Yards: OSU 270, Purdue 24

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:47 pm

Funniest halftime show ever by OSU band....an Elvis Presley show, complete with Elvis impersonator singing greatest hits (badly).....Band does "Script Elvis" and Elvis "dots the I".

danwismar

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:09 am

Triple-S wrote:

why?

seems like a stupid team to want to "maul". I'd be more pissed at Michigan and the SEC.

Because it's good to maul everybody, regardless of who it is.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby pup » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:19 am

skatingtripods wrote:
Triple-S wrote:

why?

Because it's good to maul everybody, regardless of who it is.

Maybe it was Purdue Coach telling us to "Get used to it" after last year's debacle?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:30 am

pup wrote:Maybe it was Purdue Coach telling us to "Get used to it" after last year's debacle?

Um, considering the fact that Purdue has a better record against the bucks than arch-rival michigan these past 10 years, and have actually played them quite close outside of two games, I wouldn't say that's to over the line?

There's really no animosity between the two schools in that regard, hell, Tressel stuck up for Purdue after DickRod and Michigan stole Roundtree. He's also approached Brees and thanked him for beating the Bucks in 2000, because that all but gave him the job (read "Coming Back Stronger", and it's told as such)

All I'm saying is, it's a bit pointless to have an animosity towards the Boilermakers. Of course I'm bias, but I would prefer to choose wasting my energy on hating on Michigan.

Triple-S

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:40 pm

pup wrote:Maybe it was Purdue Coach telling us to "Get used to it" after last year's debacle?

Somehow that quote from Hope was under my radar last year, so when I heard some of the OSU writers talking yesterday about what Hope did to get on Tressel's shit list, I wasn't sure what they were talking about. When we went down on the field at the end, the students in the South stands were chanting something I couldn't quite make out. Turns out it was:

"Get used to it...Get used to it"

I guess Hope now joins Pat Fitzgerald on the Tressel run-up-the-score list.

danwismar

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:12 pm

Ohio State Head Coach Jim Tressel
Opening statement...
"You have to take your hat off to Purdue. They won the turnover margin, they did a nice a job on special teams and they did what they needed to do. For us, the true test of a team is how they handle difficult situations, and we're in that right now."

http://www.purduesports.com/sports/m-fo ... 09aae.html

Sounds like he was really, really bitter at purdue, guys :rolleyes:.

Let me ask you this, if Purdue was healthy (Actually, say, had a runningback, and not a wide reciever pretending to be one) and had say a couple more seniors, would this have been a 49-0 score? No, The fact stands as this. Purdue was simply beat by a team that is one of the top 5 in the country in terms of talent, and they, as they stand right now, simply don't have the horses to compete, because all said horses are near the glue factory. It wasn't a run up the score thing, it was "Purdue is not very good this year and very green this year" sort of thing.

Triple-S

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:30 pm

Triple-S wrote:Ohio State Head Coach Jim Tressel
Opening statement...
"You have to take your hat off to Purdue. They won the turnover margin, they did a nice a job on special teams and they did what they needed to do. For us, the true test of a team is how they handle difficult situations, and we're in that right now."

http://www.purduesports.com/sports/m-fo ... 09aae.html

Sounds like he was really, really bitter at purdue, guys :rolleyes:.

Let me ask you this, if Purdue was healthy (Actually, say, had a runningback, and not a wide reciever pretending to be one) and had say a couple more seniors, would this have been a 49-0 score? No, The fact stands as this. Purdue was simply beat by a team that is one of the top 5 in the country in terms of talent, and they, as they stand right now, simply don't have the horses to compete, because all said horses are near the glue factory. It wasn't a run up the score thing, it was "Purdue is not very good this year and very green this year" sort of thing.

Well, Tressel never says the wrong thing. You're right though...Purdue is just bad this year. They looked like Ryan Kerrigan and 21 guys named Joe. and JT did call off the dogs just after halftime. It's not like he was kicking them while they were down at the end or anything.

And they did beat Northwestern without those three offensive guys...how did that happen?

danwismar

Return to College Sports Arena