Text Size

College Sports Arena

OSU vs. Wisconsin

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: OSU vs. Wisconsin

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:00 pm

Someone might want to block #99.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:02 pm

That's night road games in the B10 when you're not prepared.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:04 pm

hermanfontenot wrote:Eventually Tressel will retire and we'll get a coach in here who actually cares about winning.

A coach who cares about winning would put football players on his coverage teams instead of walk-on fucking scrubs who won't stay in their lanes, won't pursue and won't tackle.

I'd fire Tressel tomorrow if I knew I could get Jim Harbaugh. Harbaugh wants to win, not sell fucking books.

::doh::

ledging a bit much?

Tressel is a CEO coach unfortunately, on par with Mack Brown, guy who's able to consistently recruit well, be the elite team of his conference, but always struggles to win the national title.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:04 pm

JT is trying to hard to tranform TP and he has taken away some of his instinct and use of athleticism. TP has had a lot of room to run with the time he's had these last two drives but he isn't taking off, he's looking down field (which is good) but you still need to MOVE THE BALL, take what you can get when you can get it. You cannot score more than 6 points on any one play.

Forget showcasing your QB for the NFL JT, use him in ways to win today, on Saturdays in the fall.

He did it to Troy Smith in 06 (TS hardly ever ran in 06), just not to the same degree.

It isn't the reason we lost tonight, but it hindered completely the comeback in the last 13 minutes damnit.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:05 pm

Tressel cheats his own team when he puts scrubs like Ebner on his coverage teams.

It's just unfair to the players when their coach undermines them by not having the best players on the field.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:06 pm

Booooooooo
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:07 pm

How do you lose to Brett fucking Bilema?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:09 pm

Talking about canning Tressel isn't ledging anymore, it's a legit issue. This act is getting old. Eff the Big Ten titles and Rose Bowls.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:12 pm

I'm sure John Cooper is just itching to get his old job back.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:15 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:I'm sure John Cooper is just itching to get his old job back.

lol. If Tressel dreams about recruiting like Cooper he'd better wake up and apologize.

And Cooper never would have had fucking Nate Ebner running around on his coverage unit. That's the EXACT kind of athlete he weeded out when he was here.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:16 pm

TouchEmAllTime wrote:Talking about canning Tressel isn't ledging anymore, it's a legit issue. This act is getting old. Eff the Big Ten titles and Rose Bowls.
Hey I give him shit, he deserves some of it, but if you bring up firing him then you have to address who will be hired to take his place? So who...and remember, when naming that coach there will be side effects and a transition period. Possible recruits that are second guessing, possible transfers of already landed players, possible 180 degree turn in strategy, total staff exits, etc...

With his faults you still have to be careful on what you wish for. So as I said, name the list of HCs that you would just replace JT with?

I mean we were there just 13 years ago, forgetting Big Ten titles and Rose Bowls, minus winning the Big Ten titles mind you...remember?
Last edited by FUDU on Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FUDU

Unread postby daddywags » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:17 pm

FUDU wrote:JT is trying to hard to tranform TP and he has taken away some of his instinct and use of athleticism. TP has had a lot of room to run with the time he's had these last two drives but he isn't taking off, he's looking down field (which is good) but you still need to MOVE THE BALL, take what you can get when you can get it. You cannot score more than 6 points on any one play.

Forget showcasing your QB for the NFL JT, use him in ways to win today, on Saturdays in the fall.

He did it to Troy Smith in 06 (TS hardly ever ran in 06), just not to the same degree.

It isn't the reason we lost tonight, but it hindered completely the comeback in the last 13 minutes damnit.

I agree with that, but I've always wondered just how fast TP really is. Whenever I see him run he's always sort of feeling his way looking for a lane instead of just going full tilt ahead. I'd compare that to a Cam Newton, who is about the same size as TP. You watch him run and it's BAM full speed ahead from the get-go. I suppose Pryor could be told to avoid a big hit, but if that's the case then our coaching staff is making a mistake, IMO.
daddywags

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:18 pm

hermanfontenot wrote:lol. If Tressel dreams about recruiting like Cooper he'd better wake up and apologize.

And Cooper never would have had fucking Nate Ebner running around on his coverage unit. That's the EXACT kind of athlete he weeded out when he was here.

So you'd rather have Cooper over Tressel. The defense rests, your honor.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:19 pm

Ouch Herm,

Could be worse, we could have Urban Meyer. Take a breath and calm down.

That said, this kick coverage is a joke and it actually cost us this game. I know the Bucks lost by 13, but that first 7 hurt really bad. This team is not what we thought it was. The D-Line and LBs finally figured it out, but the soft first 6 did not help the Bucks prepare for a tough first quarter. They caught on, but by that time it was 21-0.

Wisconsin played not to lose with a 21-0 lead and they didn't. I don't know what else to say.

You want blame, here is some:

OSU LBs: Step up and make a fucking play in the hole. Everyone else's LBs seem to do that.

OSU D-Line: Can someone please knock the QB down? Where have you gone Vernon Gholston, our nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

OSU coaches: Do you think anyone really fears Boom Herron as a ball thrower in the Wildcat? all you did was take the best OSU RB (TP) out of the play. Here is a quick hint, TP is the best RB on the OSU team.

OSU WRs: Posey, every pass you drop is a lost possession. Think about it this way, a dropped pass = a punt

OSU Coaches: Why don't we just kick off out of bounds and concede the 40 yard line. That would save us about 1/3 TDs the opposition scores.

OSU RBs: Boom nice job today. No blame for you today.

OSU QB: Terrelle, you know you are the fastest guy on the field right? You know there is now harm in taking the ball, tucking it and running through B or C gap for 5-15 yards if the WR is covered.

Dane: You are the fucking man, and you are going ot make an NFL GM loook like a fucking genius in the 4th round.

OSU OL: Nice job, but contrary to what Brent and Herbie said today, you really didn't have to do much, you just needed to block 4 with your 5. Wisky dropped 7 into coverage almost every down.

Why do I feel like I was the only one that the read option from the shotgun was a great play call that the Bucks could have exploited on every down. The entire LB corps from Wisky responded to the RB every time leaving TP vs. a DE and a CB on the outside everytime. OSU ran this play 3 times for nice games each time, but it was clear Wisky didn't think TP was physically OK and they were overplaying Boom.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:23 pm

daddywags wrote:
FUDU wrote:JT is trying to hard to tranform TP and he has taken away some of his instinct and use of athleticism. TP has had a lot of room to run with the time he's had these last two drives but he isn't taking off, he's looking down field (which is good) but you still need to MOVE THE BALL, take what you can get when you can get it. You cannot score more than 6 points on any one play.

I agree with that, but I've always wondered just how fast TP really is. Whenever I see him run he's always sort of feeling his way looking for a lane instead of just going full tilt ahead. I'd compare that to a Cam Newton, who is about the same size as TP. You watch him run and it's BAM full speed ahead from the get-go. I suppose Pryor could be told to avoid a big hit, but if that's the case then our coaching staff is making a mistake, IMO.
I think there is a ton of truth to the point that it looks that easy for him, exactly like Ginn, he always looked like he had more. IMO TP is just a very aware runner, who is running/protecting/looking for a route to continue the run. Is he saving something in the tank on every run, I doubt it, on some, maybe. My bitch is forcing him to stay in the pocket for the point of having a guy look likea QB back there, when the alternative option is to allow the most athletic player on the field to feel his way a bit more. Did you notice it in the first half, the play were right away he saw a big opening and run 8+ for the first on his own, on a designed poclet passing play?

When you're down late and need TDs to stay in game the D always give you the middle and plays deep, that is yardage you can use and eat up with the feet of a TP, 08,09 he would have, now, eh...that is JT's influence.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:26 pm

Some of you want John Cooper? Seriously? JT wishes he could recruit like cooper, but please go back and watch any OSU vs. ScuM game during the Cooper era. Nothing is more frustrating than watching better talent consistently lose to better coaching. JT may coach us into some shitty games, but he runs a relatively clean program (as far as we can tell) and wins almost every game he is expected to. Remember OSU has won about a bazillion consecutive B10 championships in a row. I know everyone wants the next step, but how many did Coop get us?
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:26 pm

FUDU wrote:
TouchEmAllTime wrote:Talking about canning Tressel isn't ledging anymore, it's a legit issue. This act is getting old. Eff the Big Ten titles and Rose Bowls.
Hey I give him shit, he deserves some of it, but if you bring up firing him then you have to address who will be hired to take his place? So who...and remember, when naming that coach there will be side effects and a transition period. Possible recruits that are second guessing, possible transfers of already landed players, possible 180 degree turn in strategy, total staff exits, etc...

With his faults you still have to be careful on what you wish for. So as I said, name the list of HCs that you would just replace JT with?

I mean we were there just 13 years ago, forgetting Big Ten titles and Rose Bowls, minus winning the Big Ten titles mind you...remember?

I know, I thought about that when I was venting. I didn't obey the 24 hour rule, but just to answer you, maybe Chip Kelly, Chris Peterson, Bob Stoops, Mark Dantonio haha. You didn't say be realistic otherwise that would still leave us with Tress I guess.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:27 pm

? for Furls, you agree this team has been slightly transformed to handle more spread out O's right? You can see it in the size of our front 7. If you agree, then answer me this, do you think that is partially the reason why Wisky has little trouble pushing us around for most of the game?

A lot of people asked for such a change, and well IMO we got it, and well.....

FUDU

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:28 pm

Two plays this game hinged on:

1. Missed FG after the INT
2. Chekwa blowing coverage.

I'm not going to claim the opening KR, even though that could be put up there as well. If we convert the FG, the game is tied at 13 min left. If Chekwa doesn't blow that coverage, we get the stop down 21-18 and with the momentum. You could claim the third play being the PA 30+ yard completion by Tolzien with the missed sack by Heyward... another complete game-changer.

It happens. I do think this team wins out. We'll see what that gives us, as we are not in control of our destiny.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:31 pm

FUDU,

You hit the nail on the head. This is the danger in transforming your base D to a Nickel, no one is comfortable against the other extreme and it took OSU most of the first half to adjust. This team is good at stopping the spread (see IU) but is not really equipped for the power running game or a 320lb OL. It took a half to adjust and the hole was too deep. Think about it, OSU is more accustomed to playing 3 safeties than 3 LBs, that just shows you how far we went to the extreme to play with Oregon or the SEC.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:33 pm

fairvis wrote:Two plays this game hinged on:

1. Missed FG after the INT
2. Chekwa blowing coverage.

I'm not going to claim the opening KR, even though that could be put up there as well. If we convert the FG, the game is tied at 13 min left. If Chekwa doesn't blow that coverage, we get the stop down 21-18 and with the momentum. You could claim the third play being the PA 30+ yard completion by Tolzien with the missed sack by Heyward... another complete game-changer.

It happens. I do think this team wins out. We'll see what that gives us, as we are not in control of our destiny.
You're about right.

IMO the only time you can say a play like the opening KO return is super key is when your team plays flat/shell shocked but then recovers and takes control of both sides of the ball, like we did from late late 2Q till middle of 4Q.

Not an excuse but honestly we spotted Wisky an amount of points that our offense and defense made up for straight up later in the game.

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:35 pm

furls wrote:FUDU,

You hit the nail on the head. This is the danger in transforming your base D to a Nickel, no one is comfortable against the other extreme and it took OSU most of the first half to adjust. This team is good at stopping the spread (see IU) but is not really equipped for the power running game or a 320lb OL. It took a half to adjust and the hole was too deep. Think about it, OSU is more accustomed to playing 3 safeties than 3 LBs, that just shows you how far we went to the extreme to play with Oregon or the SEC.

And i think that's where losing Moeller really hurts , he was more LB than safety. He's the guy you need to add the extra muscle around the LOS for the running D.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:37 pm

No, the opening kickoff was THE key play. You're on the road at night against a ranked opponent. You cannot just GIVE them seven points. The Bucks pretty much started the game down 7-0.

Can't have it like that in a game that's going to be tight, where you KNOW you're going to get their A+ game.

That play was the killer.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:38 pm

furls wrote:FUDU,

..and what is so frustrating about it is that it is not JTs style to change his in game fundamental and strategy as a panic move or b/c his team played a poor Q of ball as we've seen week in and out for 10 years. Yet he makes such a general sweeping change for the extreme circumstance of one or two tough out OOC games...? Then why doesn't he have more self awareness on the other weaknesses of his own playing calling when it screams for it...?

That drives me so nuts. He is so close to being the dominant college football force, but he either out smarts himself or is being obtuse.

This was a blown year in regards to a NC run IMO.
Last edited by FUDU on Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:39 pm

the opening return going 97 + a bad 3 and out.... + a rough defensive series = 14-0 wiscy lead 5 mins into the game.

That first OSU series sucked ass and really hurt the team, that was a turning point given that the Badgers were going to jam the ball down OSU's throat like no one else had all year on the ensuing possession.

This game was shades of the 06 NCG except that the Bucks took over in the 3rd QTR and made a game of it. Had they continued the successes of the 3rd into the 4th, well who knows, but we learned a lot. Calm down, take a breath and step back from the ledge. This OSU team is not that fucking good. This is not a top 5 team. I think all of us reasonable fans considered that a possibility during the Illinois game, and it was confirmed tonight.

The only way the Illinois game makes sense is if the Illini are a top 15 team, and they are not. OSU is a 6-10 team. Is that really that bad? I don't think so, perhaps 2011 is a top 5 team.

IMO this team needs a pass rush, a RB, and a serious (1st Round NFL Talent) WR to compete next year.

I thought coming into this year that Pryor could make up for the RB, Nate Williams would be enough PR, and Posey was the WR. I was wrong on all counts.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby daddywags » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:41 pm

FUDU - For some reason this site works weird in my browser such that if my response gets too low in the box it flips up and I can't see it. I suppose that sounds odd, but it's why I can't quote your post I'm responding to. I basically agree with it, anyway. I think Pryor is an excellent college QB who will not be a good NFL QB but who our coach is trying to make into an NFL style QB. It plays to his weakness rather than his strength.

But my bigger issue with the Buckeyes is why they can't recruit a stronger running back than Herron and Saine. Those guys are okay, but I've been spoiled by Keith Byars and Eddie George. (And I agree with the complaints about the special teams play, too. No way a university like OSU should field such crummy specials.)
daddywags

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:42 pm

hermanfontenot wrote:No, the opening kickoff was THE key play. You're on the road at night against a ranked opponent. You cannot just GIVE them seven points. The Bucks pretty much started the game down 7-0.

Can't have it like that in a game that's going to be tight, where you KNOW you're going to get their A+ game.

That play was the killer.
Agreed, I'm by no means discounting it, just suggesting we really did wipe it out, what we didn't wipe out was the non scoring drive after the TO, in their territory, and of course following up our game changing score with a stop.

FUDU

Unread postby jack_tors » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:43 pm

furls wrote:This game was shades of the 06 NCG except that the Bucks took over in the 3rd QTR and made a game of it. Had they continued the successes of the 3rd into the 4th, well who knows, but we learned a lot. Calm down, take a breath and step back from the ledge. This OSU team is not that fucking good. This is not a top 5 team. I think all of us reasonable fans considered that a possibility during the Illinois game, and it was confirmed tonight.

Very well said. Seriously, if was any other team than OSU would we be so high on the talent come week 1? I seriously doubt it. A lot of good talent without the big play makers we saw in the past.

The sun will rise tomorrow and life goes on. Hell, look at it this way, at least we arent Michigan. :clap:
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:46 pm

daddywags wrote:FUDU - For some reason this site works weird in my browser such that if my response gets too low in the box it flips up and I can't see it. I suppose that sounds odd, but it's why I can't quote your post I'm responding to. I basically agree with it, anyway. I think Pryor is an excellent college QB who will not be a good NFL QB but who our coach is trying to make into an NFL style QB. It plays to his weakness rather than his strength.

But my bigger issue with the Buckeyes is why they can't recruit a stronger running back than Herron and Saine. Those guys are okay, but I've been spoiled by Keith Byars and Eddie George. (And I agree with the complaints about the special teams play, too. No way a university like OSU should field such crummy specials.)
IMO the Saine recruiting goes along with the fundamental transformation on D to keep up with spreads, JT started trying to keep up with the Joneses and thought a back with just speed could get it done. But let's be fair, you cannot get a Beanie Wells every time, hopefully Berry and Hall can step up and be the men.

Which brings up another issue IMO, JT not giving Freshman enough of a chance unless he has no upperclassmen to rely on. Freshman are playing all over the country at RB, if they have the talent you gotta get them out there. You don't screw a BEanie to do so, but you screw a Saine to do so.

FUDU

Unread postby daddywags » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:46 pm

Hell, look at it this way, at least we arent Michigan.

And the Browns don't have to play at Pittsburgh tomorrow with a rookie, third string, quarterback.

Oh, wait. . . .
daddywags

Unread postby Loo » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:47 pm

Not to jumping on the fire Tressel bandwagon, but boy did it seem like Wisky's LB's knew exactly when and where OSU would run the ball.
mmm, this is, a tasty burger!
Loo

Favorite Player: Josh Willingham
Least Favorite Player: Josh Willingham

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:47 pm

Honestly, and this sounds bitter, but this team was doomed for its '10 NCG run when:

1. BS was its primary RB to start the year. I know the team has gotten away from him, but realistically if you want to win it all you need a guy like John Clay, Ingram, Wells, etc.

2. Thad Gibson left for the NFL. That was fucking huge. He will pbly be a bust in the NFL, but man he could've made the difference today.

3. Devier Posey turned into Webster Slaughter. Brian Brennan (Sanz) has turned into the featured part of our passing game because he can hold on to the fucking ball. Imagine if OSU had landed Marlon Brown or any of the elite WRs in 09. The Bucks do not have a guy that forces you to respect him in the secondary. The sad fact is that none of the underclassmen have jumped up the depth chart to push for PT either, so that means there is no Santonio Holmes in waiting.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:48 pm

Furls - who might be that WR you're talking about? Carter? Or is there another guy on the roster?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho

Unread postby daddywags » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:49 pm

FUDU - Fair points. I don't follow the "kids" closely enough until they get on the field so I'll keep up hope that my guy might be on the roster but on the bench for now. Actually, that's good to know.
daddywags

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:50 pm

I think the fear/pressure of TP leaving after this season made all of us rush to assume this was the year, when maybe if he stays (and he should) it will be next year, for the O, but what about the D...

So hard to catch a year with it all, IMO 05 was the last time we were there, just came out flat against PSU and Hamby F'd us against UT.

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:51 pm

lol. I'm so glad we could establish that the opening kickoff was an important and game changing play. I wasn't sure till now.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:53 pm

The scary fact is that there isn't another WR on the roster. I guess, right now, the best option is Corey Brown (Philly Brown) but he hasn't really done much but burn his redshirt. He looks like he could be electric with the ball, but hell we don't have a FR that is pushing Washington for PT at this point. I don't think we have a Terry Glenn/David Boston/Holmes/Ginn on the roster right now. That, in and of itself, isn't a terrible thing except we don't have a beanie wells or MoC either. We have a TP.

I think Hall and Berry both look explosive, but we need to see more carries. Now, I don't want to take anything away from Boom Herron. He played a HELL of a game today.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:55 pm

furls wrote:Honestly, and this sounds bitter, but this team was doomed for its '10 NCG run when:

1. BS was its primary RB to start the year. I know the team has gotten away from him, but realistically if you want to win it all you need a guy like John Clay, Ingram, Wells, etc.

2. Thad Gibson left for the NFL. That was fucking huge. He will pbly be a bust in the NFL, but man he could've made the difference today.

3. Devier Posey turned into Webster Slaughter. Brian Brennan (Sanz) has turned into the featured part of our passing game because he can hold on to the fucking ball. Imagine if OSU had landed Marlon Brown or any of the elite WRs in 09. The Bucks do not have a guy that forces you to respect him in the secondary. The sad fact is that none of the underclassmen have jumped up the depth chart to push for PT either, so that means there is no Santonio Holmes in waiting.
IMO the lack of more imposing wide outs is the biggest deficiency with this programs offense the last few seasons. Even without a stud RB every season we've run the ball well to very well, but have not had a legit #1 or corp that is deep enough to compliment the ground game and open up consistent passing threats each week.

FUDU

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:31 pm

hermanfontenot wrote:
Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:I'm sure John Cooper is just itching to get his old job back.

lol. If Tressel dreams about recruiting like Cooper he'd better wake up and apologize.

He did, however, have Stanley Jackson running around at the most important position on the field.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:19 am

peeker643 wrote:I'm w/Furls and Phil Steele on this one today. If Pryor is healthy the Buckeyes win comfortably in an uncomfortable place to play and Pryor walks out of Camp Randall as a clear cut Heisman favorite.

If he's healthy and can run the ball.

Man. I nailed it.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:48 am

Well, I woke up this morning and it really happened. Turns out last night wasn't just a beer and nyquil induced hallucination.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:59 am

Motherscratcher wrote:Well, I woke up this morning and it really happened. Turns out last night wasn't just a beer and nyquil induced hallucination.

Said the same thing. I had a horrible dream the Buckeyes lost bad to Wisconsin and that the Browns were sending a lamb into a lion's den the next day.

Thank God none of that actually happened.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby JCoz » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:59 am

I don't even remotely understand most of the posts reviewing this game.

This game was a clinic on Oline domination by Wisconsin. We couldn't control gaps all night at the line and as a result Rolle was getting BLOWN THE FUCK UP all game.

No gap control + oline getting to a vastly undersized middle LBer + Clay and White = Loss.

It wasn't about the coverage teams, it wasn't about Ebner. Didn't have to do with Thad either, he gets his butt kicked in this game too.

Didn't have much to do with coaching, this was man on man battles that we lost all night on defense, in the heart of our defense.

You will never win a game when the middle of your D is getting beat like that.

This was a game the Wisconsin Oline won. I wouldn't even say it was our Dline stinking, Wisconsin was just that good yesterday. This was the team I thought we'd have seen all season from them.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:35 am

JCoz wrote:I don't even remotely understand most of the posts reviewing this game.

This game was a clinic on Oline domination by Wisconsin. We couldn't control gaps all night at the line and as a result Rolle was getting BLOWN THE FUCK UP all game.

No gap control + oline getting to a vastly undersized middle LBer + Clay and White = Loss.

It wasn't about the coverage teams, it wasn't about Ebner. Didn't have to do with Thad either, he gets his butt kicked in this game too.

Didn't have much to do with coaching, this was man on man battles that we lost all night on defense, in the heart of our defense.

This was a game the Wisconsin Oline won. I wouldn't even say it was our Dline stinking, Wisconsin was just that good yesterday. This was the team I thought we'd have seen all season from them.
Coz you're right about the line domination, Rolle, and gap control, other than that I'm not sure which game you watched...

The coverage team had everything to do with this game, it put OSU down 7-0, and it has been a documented problem AL SEASON SO FAR (opposing coaches have been quoted as saying they look to expose it even). That play also played a roll in the emotions of the game from the get go, it shouldn't dictate emotions but we're talking about 18-22 year olds.

As far as coaching, it sure as hell had a lot to do with the game, no success in adjustments on D in the first 18-20 minutes. I'm sure you won't like it but reread up thread about the use of Pryor (forcing him to be a pocket passer and restricting his instincts to run) it is very evident and spot the fuck on. When trailing by 3 and then by ten we had opportunities on O to move the ball, JT called mostly pass and avoided running TP (similar to early in the game), and the middle of the field was wide open for TP to run in those instances. The game changed earlier B/C of how TP started finding running room.

You're right in giving credit to Wisky instead of focusing on saying well the Buckeyes didn't do this or that, but OSU got themselves back in it and dominated Wisky for 17 straight minutes to start the second half, then opted to fiddle around with strategy, coupled with lack of execution the game reversed momentum back to Wisky and they finished what they started. To absolve the coaching staff of blame is very disingenuous IMO, or being obtuse.

ETA: really should have seen the risk of this coming seeing as how we have fundamentally transformed the base of this D, for the anticipation and hopes of improving our results for 2 games a year. We as fans kind of asked for this change, no...?
Last edited by FUDU on Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

FUDU

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:35 am

JCoz wrote:I don't even remotely understand most of the posts reviewing this game.

Intelecutal honesty^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:39 am

peeker643 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:I'm w/Furls and Phil Steele on this one today. If Pryor is healthy the Buckeyes win comfortably in an uncomfortable place to play and Pryor walks out of Camp Randall as a clear cut Heisman favorite.

If he's healthy and can run the ball.

Man. I nailed it.

Cam Newton will win the Hypeman Trophy
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby jb » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:57 pm

i've lost alot of faith in what people tell me here about out "talent".

The linebackers are all aweful.

The front 4 is a joke,too.

where is randy gradishar? cous? spielman? hawk?

lightweights, guys. pussies.

they play lb like dbs
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:02 pm

jb wrote:i've lost alot of faith in what people tell me here about out "talent".

they play lb like dbs

Because after losing to speed teams, people said it was because of our slow plodding defense VS that SEC speed, so we built a more speed oriented defense that gets blown off the ball by giant cheese eating Wisco boys.

I like Brian Rolle's heart, but he had no chance vs that OLine.

Sweat played pretty good though.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby pup » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:47 pm

Impossible to recover after team returns opening kickoff for TD.

Regards,

Florida

For all the crap that went down, we had em within 3 and a third and 5. Checkwa got turned around like Snooky in the sack for the first down and Wisky got a breath of confidence back.

Of all the reasons to be down on the current upperclassmen, it is the lack of a stud CB that we always have. Mike Adams takes a lot of shit for not living up to the legacy at LT, but he is so much better there than Chekwa is at corner.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:00 pm

jb wrote:i've lost alot of faith in what people tell me here about out "talent".

they play lb like dbs

JB, I wouldn't try to make across the board judgments on the D based on this game. You have to give Wisconsin some credit somewhere here, even if you don't agree with how I view the game.

There is something to be said for being the team that is set up like Wisconsin in todays game.

This OSU defense is not built to stop a Wisconsin unfortunately, it has been built to stop teams that are much more multiple on Offense.

You wont find any other teams on the schedule that will repeat this performance vs the OSU defense IMO.

I understand all you've said there and why, but I think you will feel differently at the end of the year.

I also think you saw Wisconsin turning the corner and realizing who they were in this game. Wisconsin is that type of team that takes time to gel and is seemingly always playing their best at the end of the year. This was supposed to be a top ten ten this season for a reason, they flashed some of the reasons why on Saturday night.

Homan and Sweat are major players, better than what was shown saturday. As for Rolle, he is kind of example 1a of how this D is set up against spread/passing teams and not power running teams. Great guy, and good player at times, but I've never been a huge fan, and he's bee exploited by several teams this season for being undersized, both in the passing and running game.

My faith in the CB's was based heavily on the front seven and being able to pressure the QB, so yeah, my faith in both are fairly shaken after that display. I just don't think that was who we are or how good we are as much as I think Wisconsin really just played fantastic on the Oline and completely neutralized them.

I wonder why we didn't see some looks with both Hankins and Larrimore at DT in the middle....
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena