Text Size

College Sports Arena

PSU Guys....

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

PSU Guys....

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:03 am

Saw this on a message board and have passed it on and gotten a little confirmation on some of this stuff, well, confirmation that it was being heard from elsewhere as well, wanted to get some opinions of PSU fans on this stuff:

Not all is well at Penn State...
1. Joe is not at practice more than an hour a day. He also rarely if ever attends any of the coaching or game prep meetings. She said people don't know how sick he was in the offseason implying that he went through a serious medical issue that has not been publicly reported. He has absolutely zero input into the gameplanning, and doesn't even know what it is until Friday night.

2. The dissention amongst the staff is at an all-time high. When Joe is not there, it's a contest to see who can act like they are in charge. There have been verbal arguments in front of the team in the middle of practice sessions between assistant coaches yelling at each other that they are in charge and are going to do what they want at that point of practice.

3. Multiple coaches on the staff have been reaching out to gauge interest from other programs as they are worried about their future in the program. One "high profile" coach on the staff actually reached out to the head coach of another PA school over the summer saying he was worried about his future at PSU and laying the groundwork for a possible move in the future.

4. There is a process in place amongst the staff to determine if a high school prospect should get an offer. Some of the coaches will vote against offering or recruiting certain kids just to spite the coaches who want them offered or are their primary recruiters. Whether this is actually going on or not I do not know, but at least one coach on the staff feels that way. For this reason, the coaches who actually do recruit have basically thrown their hands in the air and almost stopped recruiting all together.

5. "If Tom Bradley is the next head coach, the real coaches will leave in about 30 seconds."

From a recent PSU player:

"Let me start off by saying that our S&C program is a HUGE issue. 95% of the players I played with despised it. This WAS something we constantly bitched about in the locker room. Interestingly enough some of the biggest critics say good things about it when interviewed or asked publicly. Through my time at PSU I did feel like I lost strength and explosiveness....especially in the legs. Many of us did decide to train off campus when we could in order to improve. Problem is that you are so tired after a full day that it becomes difficult. Don't put too much stock into public interviews. No one wants really wants to badmouth anyone."
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: PSU Guys....

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:29 am

Saw this too, Coz, and I guess my first reaction was how sad it is that the situation was allowed to get to this point. What was it, five or six years ago that the school first approached him and asked him to step down? Second, I can see no way this can go on past this year. Maybe he can win three of his last six games to get to 400...maybe not...but this has to be it this year, I'd think.

They'd probably like to have a "farewell tour" season to send him out with all the pomp and circumstance and stuff, but not only would he probably not want that...they don't have the luxury of keeping him around for another whole season, based on the damage being done to the program, from the looks of it.

I guess it would help if he could be persuaded to make an announcement himself...(soon?) so the last several games could in effect be that farewell tour. I just hope it doesn't get ugly (in public at least). The man deserves to go out with dignity and in a classy way.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:36 am

wiz1001 wrote:Saw this too, Coz, and I guess my first reaction was how sad it is that the situation was allowed to get to this point. What was it, five or six years ago that the school first approached him and asked him to step down? Second, I can see no way this can go on past this year. Maybe he can win three of his last six games to get to 400...maybe not...but this has to be it this year, I'd think.

They'd probably like to have a "farewell tour" season to send him out with all the pomp and circumstance and stuff, but not only would he probably not want that...they don't have the luxury of keeping him around for another whole season, based on the damage being done to the program, from the looks of it.

I guess it would help if he could be persuaded to make an announcement himself...(soon?) so the last several games could in effect be that farewell tour. I just hope it doesn't get ugly (in public at least). The man deserves to go out with dignity and in a classy way.

Yah Wiz, it seems this has no become a much more toxic situation than FSU ever was.

I think you have to think this is at least partially true, as the on the field product is CLEARLY suffering from much more than lack of experience or talent or both.

This group of assistants has had praise heaped upon them in large helping the last several years between Bradley and the D and what the offensive coaches have done recently.

There is some disturbing stuff in these rumors, coaches fighting in front of the players? How could you expect discipline in your team? And everyone had to be wondering what the deal was with their epically slow start to recruiting?

If you can find somewhere that takes bets on the next PSU coach, laying a nice chunk on Golden and the Field might be a solid investment.
JCoz

Unread postby furls » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:42 pm

Yeah, all is obviously not well in happy valley, and this kind of confirms the recruiting dysfunction we have all seen based on the end result. OSU has more recruits in their 2012 class than PSU does in their 2011 class.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:43 pm

Even a three minute interview/clip in painful to watch. In laymen's terms - the guys losin' it. In the past it was his capability of handling the many facets of that job, now it's if he can handle himself.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:38 am

leadpipe wrote:Even a three minute interview/clip in painful to watch. In laymen's terms - the guys losin' it. In the past it was his capability of handling the many facets of that job, now it's if he can handle himself.

Said it before: he sounds like Don Vito Corleone in the vegetable garden right before he keels over.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:42 am

They're going to have to fire him. He won't quit. He thinks he'll go out like Bear Bryant after he retired- and he probably will.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:20 pm

How many of the above responses are from PSU fans? Just curious...

As one, I won't disagree with any of it and to be perfectly honest he shoulda left at least 10 yrs ago

I was and still am one of those calling for his head as he's just too fucking old and the game passed him by a decade or more ago....I mean, seriously Joe, John Fucking Sacca????? Just because he was a Sr?

Joe needs to go amnd many a PSU fan have been calling for his head for yrs...the response is always the same....Joe is a great guy, father figure and a winner and yadda yadda yak yak yak

Bleah...
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:40 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:How many of the above responses are from PSU fans? Just curious...

As one, I won't disagree with any of it and to be perfectly honest he shoulda left at least 10 yrs ago

I was and still am one of those calling for his head as he's just too fucking old and the game passed him by a decade or more ago....I mean, seriously Joe, John Fucking Sacca????? Just because he was a Sr?

Joe needs to go amnd many a PSU fan have been calling for his head for yrs...the response is always the same....Joe is a great guy, father figure and a winner and yadda yadda yak yak yak

Bleah...

Not a PSU fan, but the folks are from that neck of the woods, and yes, there have been many inthose parts that have wanted him gone for a decade.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:41 pm

They say Methuselah lived for 1000 years, I'm starting to believe it.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:08 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:How many of the above responses are from PSU fans? Just curious...

Bleah...

In the thread? My original post was from a PSU fan originally...
JCoz

Return to College Sports Arena