Text Size

College Sports Arena

First BCS, projection, sound about right...

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

First BCS, projection, sound about right...

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:33 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5673225

Boise atop the first rankings (projection), but Brad Edwards says no way they stay even if they run the table. I just don't see how they'd even be 1 at all at this point, in the race yes, not atop it. I can see Oregon, OK or OSU being atop the list for now, but to have Boise 1 and at the same time the Buckeyes 5 (with that margin in pts) seems pretty far off IMO.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: First BCS, projection, sound about right...

Unread postby tired » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:02 pm

I about chocked on my beer when they mentioned that mock draft. Then I see Sagarin has the Bucks at 15.
Vegas only has us as a 4.5 pt. fav.over wisky. I thought that would of been more.
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
tired

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:15 pm

Not surprised that Boise is a projected #1. They've beaten two solid BCS teams in Virginia Tech and Oregon State, both of which are trending upward.

That WAC schedule is going to take a toll on them for sure, though.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby furls » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:49 pm

Win out and then worry about. This year, more than any other I can remember, is the year where I can honestly see several BCS conference schools undefeated.

Here is how I look at the BCS contenders:

OSU: We will have a much better feel after this weekend. If the Buckeyes survive in Madison then the only real remaining test is at Iowa. I like the Buckeyes chances to run the table.

MSU: Can run the table if they can get past Illinois and Iowa. They have a legitimate shot, I wouldn't call it a great shot, but it is possible the B10 could have two undefeated teams this year.

Oregon: The Ducks should run the table. The Pac Ten really doesn't have any great teams this year. While I think it is possible they could stumble against one of these "good" Pac Ten teams, I think it is equally likely that they won't. If they lose it would be an upset, but I wouldn't be shocked. I say the Ducks probably win out.

Nebraska: Should win out, at least to the B12 championship game. They don't have OU on the schedule and wouldn't face them until the conference championship. I am not totally sold on OU, and I think NE wins that game.

OU: Should win out to the B12 championship game although the sooners do still have games remaining with A&M, OSU, and Mizzou (all on the road). I think they are more likely to lose than NE, but one of these two should finish out undefeated.

I don't think anyone survives the SEC undefeated.

Someone, Utah or TCU, will be undefeated in the MWC although AF could play spoiler and undermine the whole league.

Either Nevada or BSU will be undefeated as well.

The recent play of Illinois has me wondering, what if Mizzou (who beat the Illini in week one) is much better than everyone thinks? I am not sure if they can survive the season, but it does go along way towards explaining OSU vs. Illinois, what if Illinois really is a top 15-25 team? That defense has some players. If Mizzou is much better than they have gotten credit for, that certainly makes life tougher for OU or NE.

In the end, right now I think it is plausible that we could have the following teams undefeated at the end of the year (ranked in order of likelihood to finish undefeated):

1. BSU/Nevada
2. TCU/Utah
3. Oregon
4. Ohio State
5. Nebraska/Oklahoma
6. Michigan State
7. Auburn/LSU

I almost hope that it happens.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:01 pm

No where for VaTech to go UBT up Herm, really.

I think VaTech screws this up a bit in the first few rankings b/c of their game with Boise and their follow up loss to App St. 2.0.

I agree with you Furls that Oregon/Nebraska/Buckeyes have pretty good shots at being undefeated. While Boise does as well I can't get behind their schedule rationalizing anything higher than a 4 or 5 ranking.

The game OSU could use to help them in all this would be MSU, second last game of the year.

Personally I am pulling for an OSU/Neb match up, still a somewhat likely chance of it happening but I would guess Oregon would be our opponent before Neb if us and Oregon ran the table.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:14 pm

TOSU/NEB. just seems like a good matchup from a big ten fans perspective.

all things considered, it really can't end all that badly.

If TOSU loses, you won't see people pile on and claim how the Big Ten is slow/unathletic, etc, because, Ohio State all but lost a glorified conference championship.

If TOSU wins, the monkey's off our backs, people will again, shut up, and we get to brag that much like the SEC we have two national championship contenders in our conference.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:16 pm

A purely hypothetical here, but, if Boise St or TCU push out a one-loss SEC/Big XII team to be in the nationl championship game, is this where we may finally see a push for a playoff, or at the very least a +1 format?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:30 pm

I think Nebraska is going to lose a game at some point. I just don't see them running the table with a true freshman quarterback.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Return to College Sports Arena