Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Great Lakes Brewery Expansion

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Great Lakes Brewery Expansion

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:38 am

50% increase in capacity by the end of 2013.

Interesting article and interesting to note the history.

Just hope they concentrate on what they're making as much as they concentrate on how much they make.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/ ... /309279980
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Great Lakes Brewery Expansion

Unread postby jb » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:53 pm

peeker643 wrote:Just hope they concentrate on what they're making as much as they concentrate on how much they make.

Is the rumor true all this expansion will be dedicated to brewing beer with roots and fruits?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:07 pm

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Just hope they concentrate on what they're making as much as they concentrate on how much they make.

Is the rumor true all this expansion will be dedicated to brewing beer with roots and fruits?

With fruits or for fruits? Or is it the same thing really?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:49 am

jb wrote:

No way this rumor can be true. The Conways are not that dumb nor are they in a market that can risk being so experimental. If they haven't mass produced their better pub exclusives, it would be suicide to try something like this. Moreso considering they will be competing with McNulty's new Market Garden Brewery across the street. I have a feeling this expansion is directly related to their production issues back in Q1. Months ago, I mentioned in a separate thread that a number of distributors in Cleveland were pissed because GLBC missed barrel production by obscene amounts. A guy I know at Superior said they had an order earlier in the year for 300-500 barrels of Dortmunder - GLBC got them 99. This expansion probably plays into the fact they have expanded distribution too much outside of Ohio in the past 4-5 years. Great for popularity, but pain on the pocketbook when your limited capacity pinches your retailers.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby jb » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:57 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:
jb wrote:

No way this rumor can be true. The Conways are not that dumb nor are they in a market that can risk being so experimental. If they haven't mass produced their better pub exclusives, it would be suicide to try something like this. Moreso considering they will be competing with McNulty's new Market Garden Brewery across the street. I have a feeling this expansion is directly related to their production issues back in Q1. Months ago, I mentioned in a separate thread that a number of distributors in Cleveland were pissed because GLBC missed barrel production by obscene amounts. A guy I know at Superior said they had an order earlier in the year for 300-500 barrels of Dortmunder - GLBC got them 99. This expansion probably plays into the fact they have expanded distribution too much outside of Ohio in the past 4-5 years. Great for popularity, but pain on the pocketbook when your limited capacity pinches your retailers.

Pssssst.... We were kidding and expressing our displeasure with their recent efforts like Glockenspeil.

I do hope this means their ESP will be available now in bottle at some distance.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby swerb » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:48 pm

Im hoping they bring back that Imperial Dortmunder that they made a batch of last year for the 25th anniversary. Was better than the original Dort, and like 2% higher ABV.

Would be a nice little gift to the masses after Christmas Ale season ends. Which is right around the corner all of the sudden. :nanner:
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:14 pm

+1 Moondog ESB

+sideways 8 Imperial Dortmunder
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby jack_tors » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:11 pm

FYI: Christmas Ale released on tap in the GLB Brewpub on 10/26/10 in case you were interested. Didnt find a firm date for release of bottles and what have you.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:09 pm

Its amazing their sales of expensive, craft beer were up 18% in the middle of a horrible recession.

Looks like their sales growth is running neck and neck with their capacity growth. What a great position this company is in. By the time 2013 comes around, they are going to have to start another major expansion.

Wish they would lower some of the prices on their gear though. $25 for a ringer tee?
All the Good Things Happening in Cleveland
http://www.clevelandnewsblog.com
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:34 pm

swerb wrote:Im hoping they bring back that Imperial Dortmunder that they made a batch of last year for the 25th anniversary. Was better than the original Dort, and like 2% higher ABV.

Would be a nice little gift to the masses after Christmas Ale season ends. Which is right around the corner all of the sudden. :nanner:

This was fantastic I thought as well.

Smother than the original with the extra kick. At the time I didn't realize it was brewed for the anny or i'd have bought up quite a bit of it.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry