Text Size

No Holds Barred

Another reason our world is screwed up!

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby dem425 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:17 pm

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog ... ool-274799


Great message to send to our kids. If your opponent is TOO big, quit. Didn't these friggin genuises have a clue when the schedule was created who they would be playing. And, if there exists such an inequity in the league, FIX IT!.........
dem425
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:31 pm
Location: Now in Strongsville
Favorite Player: Dick Marcinko
Least Favorite Player: All Politicians

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:38 pm

Is the world screwed up because the one team won't play, or because the other team places too much emphasis on football, probably recruits players, and probably has players who use steroids?
GodHatesClevelandSport
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:48 am
Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:50 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Is the world screwed up because the one team won't play, or because the other team places too much emphasis on football, probably recruits players, and probably has players who use steroids?


Where the hell are you getting "probably has players who use steroids" from?

There really isn't enough info in that article to make a good judgement on whether forfeiting the game is warranted.


As laid out in both The Boston Globe and Boston Herald, the numbers behind St. George's decision are pretty stark. Three Lawrence Academy offensive lineman weigh in at 300, 335 and 350 pounds, where St. George's players come nowhere near those marks.


I mean really, would it have been too much to ask for this reporter to actually list some of the opposing players weights? How big are the kids on the other O-line? How big are the kids on the D-line going up against them? Are they 200-225? Are they 145 soaking wet? That shit matters here.

Terrible reporting.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:12 pm

I forgot -- only baseball has a steroid problem. Football players, especially teenage ones, are naturally 300+ pounds and athletic.
GodHatesClevelandSport
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:48 am
Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:31 pm

I forgot. All 300lb teenages are on steroids.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby jfiling » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:33 pm

dem425 wrote:http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Massachusetts-school-pulls-out-of-game-citing-si?urn=highschool-274799


Great message to send to our kids. If your opponent is TOO big, quit. Didn't these friggin genuises have a clue when the schedule was created who they would be playing. And, if there exists such an inequity in the league, FIX IT!.........

Reading the entire article it sounds like the school made a good choice in favor of protecting their kids (and yes, kids is appropriate in this case) from injury.
Nonetheless, St. George's decision shines a spotlight on a significant problem that has been building within the ISL for years, according to the Boston Herald's Danny Ventura.
Other coaches in the game have privately voiced their displeasure with Lawrence Academy. Judging by the volume of hits this story (which the Herald first broke yesterday morning) has received, it's certainly a newsworthy issue. What remains to be seen is whether any other team in the league follows suit and refuses to play LA.
League administrators were scheduled to meet this morning and we're sure one of the hot topics will be how to handle this situation. Is it a forfeit against SG or a no contest. You also have to believe that they will be feeling out the rest of Lawrence Academy opponents to see if they have plans on playing the game.
As one coach who asked his name not be used said: "The situation stinks. It's a black eye for our league."

I'm not sure how declining to play a game against a much larger team is any evidence that this world is "screwed up". I tell you what, dem425, why don't you jump into a boxing ring with someone 100 lbs heavier and 6 inches taller than you. If you refuse, then that is another reason this world is screwed up.
jfiling
Old School Writer
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio
Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:40 pm

jfiling wrote:I'm not sure how declining to play a game against a much larger team is any evidence that this world is "screwed up". I tell you what, dem425, why don't you jump into a boxing ring with someone 100 lbs heavier and 6 inches taller than you. If you refuse, then that is another reason this world is screwed up.


Where are you getting 110lbs heavier and 6 inches taller? And what does boxing have to do with anything?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby jfiling » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:45 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:
jfiling wrote:I'm not sure how declining to play a game against a much larger team is any evidence that this world is "screwed up". I tell you what, dem425, why don't you jump into a boxing ring with someone 100 lbs heavier and 6 inches taller than you. If you refuse, then that is another reason this world is screwed up.


Where are you getting 110lbs heavier and 6 inches taller? And what does boxing have to do with anything?

Analogies are difficult, I guess. I think this is a fair one, though. I'll let dem425 tell me if I need to refine it.
jfiling
Old School Writer
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio
Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:45 pm

There are lessons to be learned from getting your ass kicked as well. Because they're big, doesn't increase the chance of getting hurt. A 200lb kid moving half again as fast as a 300lber creates the same amount of force.

Play the game.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6495
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby jfiling » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:36 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:There are lessons to be learned from getting your ass kicked as well. Because they're big, doesn't increase the chance of getting hurt. A 200lb kid moving half again as fast as a 300lber creates the same amount of force.

Play the game.

If we're talking pure physics, then yes. I'd imagine that sometimes players land on other players' joints, at which point a 300 lber falling on a 200 lber isn't likely to end well for the guy on the bottom.

What I'd really like to know is how many parents of the forfeiting team objected to the game being cancelled. It's easy to be an internet tough guy when it comes to other people's children being put into harm's way. Since this is a private school that forfeited, I'd think if the parents are against this move the coach will be fired, or at least seriously sanctioned.
jfiling
Old School Writer
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio
Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:40 pm

I am with EW play the damn game. When I was in HS we played against these twin farm boys that went 6'5 and 6'6 and 310 and 320 respectively. Our center and guards were no more than 230 and I was the QB at 6 foot, 190. After we attempted a QB sneak and lost 2 yards we gave anything inside the tackles up and out ran the fuckers. Use your brain to out think them. I played against many kids much bigger than I, never once thought about not showing up.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7063
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:41 pm

jfiling wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:There are lessons to be learned from getting your ass kicked as well. Because they're big, doesn't increase the chance of getting hurt. A 200lb kid moving half again as fast as a 300lber creates the same amount of force.

Play the game.

If we're talking pure physics, then yes. I'd imagine that sometimes players land on other players' joints, at which point a 300 lber falling on a 200 lber isn't likely to end well for the guy on the bottom.

What I'd really like to know is how many parents of the forfeiting team objected to the game being cancelled. It's easy to be an internet tough guy when it comes to other people's children being put into harm's way. Since this is a private school that forfeited, I'd think if the parents are against this move the coach will be fired, or at least seriously sanctioned.


Well then shit, better cancel all high school games where a 200 lb kid is on the field with a 300 lb kid, or maybe start a fat boy league.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7063
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby dem425 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:49 pm

Thanks, Fling, Ole Buddy..............I knew if there was someone out there who can present an inane, asinine reply, you were the dude.

My point in posting was to show the ridiculous ends that high-school sports will go. I believe in some respects that high-school sports is a microcosm of our society.

Plan days, weeks, months in advance to create a schedule. Practice hours and hours encouraging team concepts, esprit d'corps, learning about sport and competition............then tell your team three games into the season, we're not gonna play those big boys. Why didn't they know about this in advance?.....If the health of the players was at stake, they should not be playing tackle football OR that team should not have been on their schedule.

You can spin the good lesson here to read that "discretion is a the better part of valor".......Be intersting to take a straw vote of the kids.......

Adults, once again, fuck up the kid's world.

As far as stepping into the ring.............at 55, fat and a heart condition, probably an ignorant move on my part.........However, assuming you are 6 inches and a 100# heavier than me, I might make an exception..... ;-) ;) :wink:
Last edited by dem425 on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dem425
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:31 pm
Location: Now in Strongsville
Favorite Player: Dick Marcinko
Least Favorite Player: All Politicians

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:55 pm

Most of you guys are assuming the kids have a choice.

They probably don't. And in fact, I'd bet they're more than willing to play the game.

Blame the knob gobbler who scheduled the game.

But to the point, yeah, probably just easier to quit if you're up against bigger or stronger guys on the filed or on the court. Same thing in life. If you're facing down an Ivy League attorney with your John Marshall law degree it might be best to plead out or settle.

Quitting is fucking cool and easy.

I quit dipping Skoal 2 weeks, 2 days a 20 hours ago. Everyone's quitting something these days.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22758
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:18 pm

Knob Gobbler lol

well done. Just goes to show that you can accomplish anything if you set your mind to it.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:57 pm

jfiling wrote:What I'd really like to know is how many parents of the forfeiting team objected to the game being cancelled. It's easy to be an internet tough guy when it comes to other people's children being put into harm's way.


Well Christ, if that's the issue why allow those kids to go out for football in the first place? Plenty of other ways for them to get exercise.

As for me, I saw several 300-pounders when I was playing HS at Kent Roosevelt and I never thought "steroids." I always thought "20-Piece Chicken McNuggets," "Double Whoppers," "Wendys Triples," etc. The smaller guys were the ones shooting up (allegedly.) The big guys were usually just fat fucks.
User avatar
hermanfontenot
History Buff
 
Posts: 4117
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:52 am
Location: NE Ohio
Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:32 pm

I propose no more keeping score of any events anymore.

"Fun to fun is how it's done".

The real problem is the schools are too competitive and the real world is much more laid back.

In the real world do you see big countries picking on little ones? No.
Can't little countries just quit when a larger country's military force comes a knocking and the little country still maintains their dignity and way of life? Yes.

Duh.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22758
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:07 am

peeker643 wrote:
I quit dipping Skoal 2 weeks, 2 days a 20 hours ago. Everyone's quitting something these days.


Weak. Oh, and cuntslice.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6495
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:15 am

If quitting because the other guys are just plain bigger is the answer than this world would never have known about Rudy Ruetteger. ;-) ;) :wink:
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
User avatar
Larvell Blanks
 
Posts: 2575
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Medina, Ohio
Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:22 am

Erie Warrior wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
I quit dipping Skoal 2 weeks, 2 days a 20 hours ago. Everyone's quitting something these days.


Weak. Oh, and cuntslice.



Ahh...now I see how that's used ya knob gobbler.

;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22758
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:56 am

peeker643 wrote:In the real world do you see big countries picking on little ones? No. Can't little countries just quit when a larger country's military force comes a knocking and the little country still maintains their dignity and way of life? Yes.


What planet are we talking about here?

China-----> Tibet
Russia-----> Georgia
Iran/Syria------> Lebanon
Turkey------> Cyprus
The entire Arab world and Iran-------> Israel

...to name a few.

Why hasn't Israel, for example, thought of this before? Just quit, and they'll be permitted to carry on with their dignity and their way of life intact.

Tell me you're not serious, Peeker.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar
 
Posts: 2553
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:10 am

wiz1001 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:In the real world do you see big countries picking on little ones? No. Can't little countries just quit when a larger country's military force comes a knocking and the little country still maintains their dignity and way of life? Yes.


What planet are we talking about here?

China-----> Tibet
Russia-----> Georgia
Iran/Syria------> Lebanon
Turkey------> Cyprus
The entire Arab world and Iran-------> Israel

...to name a few.

Why hasn't Israel, for example, thought of this before? Just quit, and they'll be permitted to carry on with their dignity and their way of life intact.

Tell me you're not serious, Peeker.



Wiz- when am I serious?

Quitting and hoping for the best isn't the best way to go?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22758
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:46 pm

peeker643 wrote:Wiz- when am I serious?


To quote you, Peeks....

Duh
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar
 
Posts: 2553
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby jfiling » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:41 pm

dem425 wrote:Thanks, Fling, Ole Buddy..............I knew if there was someone out there who can present an inane, asinine reply, you were the dude.


I'm not sure its asinine pointing out that there is a valid concern when it comes to kids, whose bodies are still developing, being at risk of injury.

dem425 wrote:My point in posting was to show the ridiculous ends that high-school sports will go. I believe in some respects that high-school sports is a microcosm of our society.

Plan days, weeks, months in advance to create a schedule. Practice hours and hours encouraging team concepts, esprit d'corps, learning about sport and competition............then tell your team three games into the season, we're not gonna play those big boys. Why didn't they know about this in advance?.....If the health of the players was at stake, they should not be playing tackle football OR that team should not have been on their schedule.


Agreed on all points there.

dem425 wrote:You can spin the good lesson here to read that "discretion is a the better part of valor".......Be intersting to take a straw vote of the kids.......

Adults, once again, fuck up the kid's world.


I see your point there, but without knowing more about the story I can't judge.

dem425 wrote:As far as stepping into the ring.............at 55, fat and a heart condition, probably an ignorant move on my part.........However, assuming you are 6 inches and a 100# heavier than me, I might make an exception..... ;-) ;) :wink:


I did not know about your heart condition; I hope it is under control and doesn't impair you. And I'm sure you'd still kick my ass.
jfiling
Old School Writer
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio
Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby jb » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:47 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:Knob Gobbler lol

well done. Just goes to show that you can accomplish anything if you set your mind to it.



+ 2

Don't see "knob gobbler" used often enough anymore...
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:38 pm

jb wrote:
Don't see "knob gobbler" used often enough anymore...


+3, marriage blows. Wait, no it doesn't, it's just lame.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6495
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:42 am

Among other options, Lawrence Academy reportedly offered to play the game at "half speed" to ensure no players got hurt. That hardly seems like a positive message to send to a program that claims it is trying to build gradual success among a young core of players.


I found that line the funniest part of the article.

i would like to see what a team would look like attempting to go "half speed" in a real game vs kids that are going full speed.
User avatar
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:57 am
Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:34 am

If they knew since last year that this game was on the schedule, why wait until the last minute to back out?
User avatar
exiledbuckeye
 
Posts: 1561
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:12 pm
Location: Michigan
Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:13 pm

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog ... ool-275447

"That left us with nine kids, two of which were 14-year-old freshmen that I was not about to put in against these 17-18-year-old juniors/seniors."


Why not? Kid's gotta learn sometime. I still remember getting my ass lit up as a Sophomore on the punt team.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6495
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:13 pm

My son plays freshman football and the range of sizes on his team is crazy. We have a huge 375 lb lineman that couldn't even get out of his own way, a 260 lb D lineman who is pretty good and our starting O-line are close to 200 lbs, if not more, including my son at 6' 1", 210. We have many corners who weigh in at 100 lbs or even 120 for that matter. There is just as much danger during practice when a lineman pulls on a sweep and is looking to take out a cornerback who weighs literally 100 lbs less than they do. That is football, you do not like it, don't play. My son always says about huge D-linemen he faces, they are usually either really good or just spacetakers. And if they are good, they will probably knock you on your ass regardless of size.
User avatar
Love child of shawn kemp
 
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:37 am
Favorite Player: Corey KKKKKluber
Least Favorite Player: Domestic Violence

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:35 pm

Somehow I knew TMQ would address this situation, and I wasn't wrong. Most of it was on the fact that Lawrence Academy treats its players like meat (which is all fine and well, as long as the parents understand the health risks), and makes other good points.
Offensive Linemen Gone Blimp: Tuesday Morning Quarterback has long contended that linemen, especially in high school, are forcing themselves to gain unhealthy levels of weight. Katie Weil of Brookline, Mass., was among many readers to point out this story of a high school that forfeited last weekend rather than face a private prep team with several linemen exceeding 300 pounds.

Twenty years ago, there were few NFL players weighing more than 300 pounds. Now this weight is not uncommon in college. With modern training, it's possible for many college males to be what scouts call a "natural" 300 pounds -- meaning appropriate to their frame and based on supervised weightlifting and a healthful diet -- since muscle weighs more than other kinds of tissue. But college players are years ahead of high-school boys in physical maturity and time spent lifting. Rare is the high-school boy who carries a natural 300 pounds, as opposed to weight gained by deliberate overeating. For instance Good Counsel, one of the country's powerhouse private prep programs and one with an excellent reputation for taking good care of players, has no one above 290 pounds.

The prep school in question with the very heavy boys, Lawrence Academy, won its 2009 games by an average of 43-9 and its first two games of 2010 by a combined 73-14. Surely Lawrence plays well, but margins that wide suggest poor sportsmanship – when a football team wins 56-0 or 47-0, as Lawrence did in 2009, the victor, not the vanquished, should feel embarrassed. Lawrence head coach Mike Taylor -- beating up on teams that have no chance is bully behavior that reflects poorly on you and your program. Taylor declined comment. Dave Casanave, director of communications for Lawrence Academy, told TMQ, "There were valid questions about sportsmanship and game management last year. We've had some discussions with the football coaches and are optimistic that bad sportsmanship will not happen again."

More important, Lawrence claims its mission is "excellence." Can it be excellence for the football staff to be encouraging or at least averting eyes from unhealthy levels of weight gain, in order to create gigantic linemen? Don't try to tell me it's just some weird coincidence that football boys who enroll at Lawrence balloon up. Short term, excessive weight increases risk of heat stroke -- heavy players are more prone than lean ones. Long term, excessive weight gain for football can lead to lifelong health problems, including diabetes, hypertension and heart trouble.

In 2006, former San Francisco coach Bill Walsh told me he thought excessive weight in football won't end until NFL teams, colleges or high schools lose health liability litigation. The high-school level may be the place to start, since there, football players are minors whom coaches and teachers should safeguard. Maybe a high-school parent whose boy has gained unsafe weight for football should sue, claiming the abetting of dangerous behavior by a minor. That might lead to positive reform.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ortCat=nfl
jfiling
Old School Writer
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio
Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby jb » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:42 pm

The slution is to legalize and encourage safe usage of PEDS. In the golden era of the 80's, you'd have guys at 285 who were as strong as the fat ph*&%s at 350 and a hell of alot more mobile. It was only when roids strated to get a bad rap that you saw the rise of the fat pig Crackwagon OL. Even the Hogs were athletic. I've had occasion to meet Russ Grimm. He's piut on a nice boiler, but he's no Andre the Giant. And lachey and jacoby were athletic.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:51 pm

jb wrote:The slution is to legalize and encourage safe usage of PEDS. In the golden era of the 80's, you'd have guys at 285 who were as strong as the fat ph*&%s at 350 and a hell of alot more mobile. It was only when roids strated to get a bad rap that you saw the rise of the fat pig Crackwagon OL. Even the Hogs were athletic. I've had occasion to meet Russ Grimm. He's piut on a nice boiler, but he's no Andre the Giant. And lachey and jacoby were athletic.


Former NFL defensive lineman Brad Culpepper agrees with you, JB:

Culpepper, the retired lineman, sees a correlation between the inception of the NFL's steroid testing about 15 years ago and the increase in players' weights. With the crackdown on illegal substances, focus shifted from strength to sheer mass.

"No longer could a guy be 270 and maul people because he's on steroids and has so many muscles," Culpepper said. "Now you have to be 300 to move people. It remains to be seen what's going to happen to these guys as they get in their 30s and retire."


http://www.sptimes.com/2006/01/29/Sports/A_huge_problem.shtml

What's interesting to me is the effort a lot of these guys make to lose that extra weight once they quit playing. Culpepper, who was 270 pounds when he played on Tampa Bay's DL in the late '90s, is down to about 200. Mark May, Mark Schlereth and Ed Cunningham are all former 300-pound offensive linemen who have lost a ton of weight. Whe you see Cunningham on college football telecasts you'd enver guess he was a 300-pound center in the NFL.
User avatar
hermanfontenot
History Buff
 
Posts: 4117
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:52 am
Location: NE Ohio
Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:24 pm

jb wrote:
Motherscratcher wrote:Knob Gobbler lol

well done. Just goes to show that you can accomplish anything if you set your mind to it.



+ 2

Don't see "knob gobbler" used often enough anymore...



Same with 'twatwaffle'

Not nearly enuff usage
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
User avatar
Fire Marshall Bill
 
Posts: 2691
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:00 pm
Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby jb » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:32 pm

hermanfontenot wrote:
jb wrote:The slution is to legalize and encourage safe usage of PEDS. In the golden era of the 80's, you'd have guys at 285 who were as strong as the fat ph*&%s at 350 and a hell of alot more mobile. It was only when roids strated to get a bad rap that you saw the rise of the fat pig Crackwagon OL. Even the Hogs were athletic. I've had occasion to meet Russ Grimm. He's piut on a nice boiler, but he's no Andre the Giant. And lachey and jacoby were athletic.


Former NFL defensive lineman Brad Culpepper agrees with you, JB:

Culpepper, the retired lineman, sees a correlation between the inception of the NFL's steroid testing about 15 years ago and the increase in players' weights. With the crackdown on illegal substances, focus shifted from strength to sheer mass.

"No longer could a guy be 270 and maul people because he's on steroids and has so many muscles," Culpepper said. "Now you have to be 300 to move people. It remains to be seen what's going to happen to these guys as they get in their 30s and retire."


http://www.sptimes.com/2006/01/29/Sports/A_huge_problem.shtml

What's interesting to me is the effort a lot of these guys make to lose that extra weight once they quit playing. Culpepper, who was 270 pounds when he played on Tampa Bay's DL in the late '90s, is down to about 200. Mark May, Mark Schlereth and Ed Cunningham are all former 300-pound offensive linemen who have lost a ton of weight. Whe you see Cunningham on college football telecasts you'd enver guess he was a 300-pound center in the NFL.


Markk May lost all his weight between his ears.

But that said I wasn't completely kidding. You wonder if presecribed and used in a safe environment if there isn't a place for PEDS & it is better than these consequences. And the game was better, too.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:44 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:

Same with 'twatwaffle'


Are those in the isle as cuntcakes and snatchpies?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Another reason our world is screwed up!

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:21 am

jb wrote:And lachey and jacoby were athletic.


I see Lachey regularly at OSU games. He looks like he could still play. Not fat at all....huge, but not fat.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar
 
Posts: 2553
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:05 pm


Return to No Holds Barred

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ybot and 3 guests

Who is online

In total there are 4 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: ybot and 3 guests