Text Size

College Sports Arena

GO MICHIGAN

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

GO MICHIGAN

Unread postby Loo » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:20 pm

Michigan (5-0) plays Michigan State (5-0) this weekend, who beat WISKY on Saturday.

Since OSU doesn't play MSU, if they beat Michigan and Oregon wins out, Oregon could jump OSU even with a 12-0 record by the Buckeyes.
mmm, this is, a tasty burger!
Loo

Favorite Player: Josh Willingham
Least Favorite Player: Josh Willingham

Re: GO MICHIGAN

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:26 pm

You can root for Michigan all you want. That horseshit defense of theirs is going to get them beat multiple times before this season is over.

Ohio State just needs to take care of business and keep winning. Beating Wisconsin and Iowa on the road would keep them ahead of Oregon regardless of what the Ducks do.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby swerb » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:07 pm

hermanfontenot wrote:You can root for Michigan all you want. That horseshit defense of theirs is going to get them beat multiple times before this season is over.

Ohio State just needs to take care of business and keep winning. Beating Wisconsin and Iowa on the road would keep them ahead of Oregon regardless of what the Ducks do.

Exactly.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby furls » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:17 pm

I'll never root for scUM to win a game as long as DickROd is the coach. A good scUM is good for the Big Ten, but Dick Rod is not.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:09 pm

furls wrote:I'll never root for scUM to win a game as long as DickROd is the coach. A good scUM is good for the Big Ten, but Dick Rod is not.

Exactly.

dudes a scumbag.

look up what he did with purdue and roy roundtree.

Here's hoping he's managing a denny's in nebraska by this time next year.

and I'll never, ever, ever, ever, ever root for michigan in anything, period. Not against non-conference teams, not in bowl games.

They are the enemy.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby furls » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:59 am

I root for scUM (simply by not wanting them to lose) generally when they are in bowl games against the SEC. That said, I have not faced that dillema since DickRod showed up in AA.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:18 am

When Meatchicken lines up against a Big 10 quality defense, that Friday night stuff gets stuffed.

The spread has come & gone like the wishbone in the early 70's & the run and shoot in the 80's. Coaches have figured it out.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:44 am

furls wrote:I root for scUM (simply by not wanting them to lose) generally when they are in bowl games against the SEC. That said, I have not faced that dillema since DickRod showed up in AA.

The SEC is the exception to the rule when it comes to bowl opponents for scUM, especially if it's florida, who I pray if TOSU ever plays again, Tressel runs up the score..and bad. Urban Meyer deserves a bit of payback in that department.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:11 am

Triple-S wrote:
furls wrote:I root for scUM (simply by not wanting them to lose) generally when they are in bowl games against the SEC. That said, I have not faced that dillema since DickRod showed up in AA.

The SEC is the exception to the rule when it comes to bowl opponents for scUM, especially if it's florida, who I pray if TOSU ever plays again, Tressel runs up the score..and bad. Urban Meyer deserves a bit of payback in that department.

We are tOSFU, and it should be impossible for someone to run up the score on us. Ever. We got our ass kicked by Florida, and if we play them again I hope we beat them 74-6.

What I don't ever want to be is someone who whines about running up the score. If it happens, it's because we got our ass handed to us and we deserve it.

(I'm not tryng to imply that you were whining SSS. Just that you were coming dangerously close. ;-) ;) :wink: )
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:17 am

Triple-S wrote:The SEC is the exception to the rule when it comes to bowl opponents for scUM, especially if it's florida, who I pray if TOSU ever plays again, Tressel runs up the score..and bad. Urban Meyer deserves a bit of payback in that department.

Don't kid yourself, SSS. Urban took his foot off the gas in the '07 NCG. It could have been 62-14. Urban is an Ohio guy and an Earle Bruce protege. He wasn't looking to run up the score on the Buckeyes. He could've though.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:55 pm

I don't think Michigan State beating Michigan will have much if anything to do with getting jumped by Oregon.

If we both go undefeated, it's going to have alot more to do with how we look doing it than who we are doing it against IMO.

It's not like UM is going to be undefeated under any circumstances come the end of the year.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:04 pm

I can understand why someone may root for them this week, but does the top thread on the forum have to be titled GO MICHIGAN? Almost puked when I opened the site just now.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby Loo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:19 pm

JCoz wrote:I don't think Michigan State beating Michigan will have much if anything to do with getting jumped by Oregon.

If we both go undefeated, it's going to have alot more to do with how we look doing it than who we are doing it against IMO.

It's not like UM is going to be undefeated under any circumstances come the end of the year.

It's just my opinion that if Ohio State and Oregon goes undefeated, and OSU doesn't end up playing the second best team in the Big Ten, that could be enough for Oregon to jump the Buckeyes (especially with how flashy the Ducks have looked, and it shouldn't, but that might play a small role as well).
Loo

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:21 pm

Loo wrote:
JCoz wrote:I don't think Michigan State beating Michigan will have much if anything to do with getting jumped by Oregon.

It's just my opinion that if Ohio State and Oregon goes undefeated, and OSU doesn't end up playing the second best team in the Big Ten, that could be enough for Oregon to jump the Buckeyes (especially with how flashy the Ducks have looked, and it shouldn't, but that might play a small role as well).

Ok, but if we win impressively I see that as a tiny footnote, not a major bullet point.

That may come into play if we lose Pryors legs and are forced to win ugly IMO.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:45 pm

It doesn't really matter if you do or don't root for them. Michigan will lose multiple games before the end of the year. Probably starting Saturday.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby furls » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:55 pm

There are a lot of variables that go into this that I would consider before doing something drastic, like rooting for scUM.

1. The Bucks and Ducks both have to be undefeated for it to be relevant
2. Terrelle Pryor's Heisman-ness. Don't think for a minute that if he is still a strong candidate that it wont matter.
3. Style points: They matter
4. .....way down the list, SOS (who you played)

The best thing that could happen to the Bucks is for Miami to win the ACC and look impressive. They lost early enough in the year that if they were to run the table they would probably work their way back into the top-5 to ten. Michigan will only be relevant in this discussion if they are an undefeated or one loss team come Nov. 27. With that defense, I think their run is about over.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:00 pm

You forget that LaMichael James is also in the Heisman discussion. Maybe not in the first sentence, but definitely in the mix.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby Loo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:27 pm

I've had, for my own reasons, quite a hatred for MSU for a long, long time. So I suppose to me it won't be too hard (kinda like when Michigan plays Notre Dame).
Loo

Unread postby dmiles » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:33 pm

I really think many of the human voters will remember what happened in the Rose Bowl. I know I know different year different teams but the perception about the Buckeyes team speed again Oregon last year is still strong. Not something to worry about at this juncture.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby furls » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:01 pm

No, they are largely the same teams in different seasons.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to College Sports Arena