Text Size

College Sports Arena

Clowney to set up OSU visit? (cue joke by Peeker)

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Clowney to set up OSU visit? (cue joke by Peeker)

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:05 pm

The #1 player in the country (we are talking mario willaims/julius Peppers freak of nature DE) now is rumored to have initiated contact with Ohio State for his 5th official visit.

This is hot off the presses RUMORS. make no mistake, this is a lottery ticket folks, but if you get him on campus it goes from from mega millions odds to pick 3 odds.

Still not great but it has to be encouraging to see him put himself on the OSU radar.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20100928/PSPORTS02/100929707/-1/PSPORTS
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: Clowney to set up OSU visit? (cue joke by Peeker)

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:05 pm

Story just broke on Bucknuts as well.
JCoz

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:10 pm

Clowney's team plays the Buckeyes in the final game of every regular season.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:53 pm

Jesus H, how many guys can you judge in one single play?

Cue the play at 1:00

http://scoutingcarolina.com/index.php/view-profile.html?task=userProfile&user=1390&srid=4&name=JadeveonClowney

I've been watching highlights of these top 100-250 kids for almost 10 year now, can't remember seeing anything like this kid.

I haven't said this since I saw Stafford for the first time in High School.....this kid barring injury will be the #1 pick of either the 2013 or 2014 NFL Draft. Worst case top 5. I'm not saying that because I think I'm some sort of NFL talent evaluator, but because his insane physical talent just jumps off the screen at you.

You'll see.
JCoz

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:49 pm

I haven't watched a lot of video on this kid, but what I have seen is off-the-charts good. Glad to see he thinks enough of the OSU program to contact them.

In other news today, Jacoby Boren got an offer (2012) from the Bucks. Brother of Zach and Justin, Jacoby is a center/guard on offense and a DT on defense. Not sure where OSU projects him...my guess would be on the O-line. He is about 260 right now as a junior, from what I hear. I've heard some people I respect say he's a marginal OSU recruit...but the legacy thing means something, and pure talent isn't everything. I'd take a whole team of guys with the attitude and effort of Justin and Zach.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:58 pm

What did those same people say about Zach?

I heard he's just as nasty as the rest. Depends on the frame, if he has the frame to get to C or G then I'm not worried about the scholly.

How much toughness have the Boren brothers brought to this offense?

Thats worth a third scholly even if he never sees the field.
JCoz

Unread postby furls » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:45 am

I agree completely with Boren. The Buckeyes staff has done a great job in identifying guys that no one is really looking at. The Buckeyes don't have a lot of schollies to give in 2012, so I am willing to bet the staff sees a lot more in Jacoby than a legacy.

As for Clowney, he is all South Carolina. I pretty much agree with JCoz's assessment, the only thing I would add is that I am not sure that if he goes to SoCar he will get the support he needs to be a #1 overall. Players don't play in a vacuum and I am not sure that there will be enough talent on the DLine (or enough coaching development) to truly develop that kid into what he could be. In short, this could be a Da'Qwan Bowers (Clemson) situation. All kinds of talent, bad team, bad program, minimal development, lots of double teams.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:17 am

furls wrote:As for Clowney, he is all South Carolina.

I agree. Pick 3 odds are what 1 in 1000? Our odds are probably a bit better if we get him on campus, but not by much.
JCoz

Unread postby tired » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:41 pm

Clowney's parents want him to stay close to home and I think he wants to take in some free games. But, like JC say's get him on campus and anything can happen. That and the Senator taking an in home visit. It tells ya what kind of program we have at Ohio State to be mentioned by him.
Love the Boren offer. LMAO @ Mishigan.
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
tired

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:09 pm

Get SV in his living room talking to his parents. It's still a long shot, but I have to think that would greatly increase the odds. I guess it depends on what his parents are like and what they hold important.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Return to College Sports Arena