Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Is Windhorst Next to Head to Miami?

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Is Windhorst Next to Head to Miami?

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:22 pm

Hmm...

This happens and he's nothing more than LBJ's personal fucking publicist in my opinion.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/main-cavs ... espn-29040

And credit where it's due: found that under e0y2e3's twitter.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Is Windhorst Next to Head to Miami?

Unread postby papacass » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:35 pm

I can't see how he wouldn't follow LBJ around. He's widely regarded as the pre-eminent expert on LeBron. Why would he stay here and cover a LeBron-less team? It's a waste of his connections.

Before we get set to throw the Windy out with the Bronwater, he does deserve his props. He knows himself some NBA, and he's very well-versed in the complexities of player movement rules and the NBA salary cap. The NBA cap is probably the most complicated document this side of the IRS. I learned a lot about the ins and outs of how the NBA does business by reading Windy.

That's where he really shines, in his ability to absorb information and distill complicated matters down to a readable form for Joe Blow to digest during his morning coffee and bagel.

Unfortunately, on Team ESPN, Windy might be reduced to the level of a Chris Broussard -- another talented reporter who has been doing nothing but hand-jobbing major NBA stars for the past five-odd years, per ESPN's company line.

If he is headed to ESPN, Windy's extensive knowledge of the inner workings of the NBA is probably going to take a backseat to personality-based reporting on Bron-Bron and his posse. But he'll make a buttload more cash writing fluff pieces for ESPN than breaking down the NBA cap for the PD.

That's how the game is played. And people wonder why the journalism profession is going to hell in a Vuitton shoulder bag.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:44 pm

I can't blame any joe-shmoe for hooking his boxcar up to the money train and chasing the dollars. Windy does a hell of a job, he will be irrelevant and underpaid (opposed to the dollars thrown at him) if he stays in Cleveland. Ain't like the dude has made 80 million in his career thus far, money probably is an object to him.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:46 pm

Ziner wrote:I can't blame any joe-shmoe for hooking his boxcar up to the money train and chasing the dollars. Windy does a hell of a job, he will be irrelevant and underpaid (opposed to the dollars thrown at him) if he stays in Cleveland. Ain't like the dude has made 80 million in his career thus far, money probably is an object to him.

Agreed, and if he was with the ABJ originally he probably never like the CPD anyway.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:48 pm

papacass wrote:I can't see how he wouldn't follow LBJ around. He's widely regarded as the pre-eminent expert on LeBron. Why would he stay here and cover a LeBron-less team? It's a waste of his connections.

Before we get set to throw the Windy out with the Bronwater, he does deserve his props. He knows himself some NBA, and he's very well-versed in the complexities of player movement rules and the NBA salary cap. The NBA cap is probably the most complicated document this side of the IRS. I learned a lot about the ins and outs of how the NBA does business by reading Windy.

That's how the game is played. And people wonder why the journalism profession is going to hell in a Vuitton shoulder bag.

Here's what I take out of that Cass: he's a pilot fish.

Congrats to him for making more money to slob more knob and at the cost of his integrity and his growth as a journalist.

Well done Windy.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. The object is bigger job, more money. That doesn't make him any less a whore. Perception is reality. The perception will be he's a sycophant or worse.

And a guy that good with all those connections has only the option to be a whore kneeling before LBJ or stay here with the LBJ-less Cavs? That's it? I really doubt that.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:54 pm

Peeks, before you rip on him you would have to point out the sports journalists with integrity.

If you are one of the best in your position you work your way up the ranks to be in a position to join on with espn to get paid and neutered.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:55 pm

Remains to be seen what he becomes at ESPN.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:59 pm

I don't see moving to ESPN.com as a hindrance to his growth as a journalist. If he stayed with the PD, that would hinder his career. He's reached the pinnacle of his PD career. Won't ever be covering someone like LeBron, won't have the freelance opportunities, won't be known nationally. If he stays here, his career is what it is and won't be anything else. You do what you gotta do to move up, and if Windhorst moves up, good for him.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby papacass » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:59 pm

peeker643 wrote:And a guy that good with all those connections has only the option to be a whore kneeling before LBJ or stay here with the LBJ-less Cavs? That's it? I really doubt that.

Why would he go to, say, the New York Post and cover the Knicks if he's built up all of his connections in the LBJ camp?

He has other options, I'm sure, but the best from a salary and profile standpoint is to follow the LBJ gravy train he has been following for a decade. Does it make him a moral schlepp? I won't say anyone is wrong for thinking so. But Windy buttered his LBJ bread a long time ago, that's why major outlets like ESPN value him, and on that level, it makes sense for him to exploit his LBJ inroads for personal gain.
papacass

Unread postby papacass » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:06 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:I don't see moving to ESPN.com as a hindrance to his growth as a journalist. If he stayed with the PD, that would hinder his career. He's reached the pinnacle of his PD career. Won't ever be covering someone like LeBron, won't have the freelance opportunities, won't be known nationally. If he stays here, his career is what it is and won't be anything else. You do what you gotta do to move up, and if Windhorst moves up, good for him.

His career will backslide at the PD. He's covering a bottom-feeding, star-devoid team for the local paper. If he's happy being a "best NBA beat reporter you never heard of" like Sam Amick in Sacto, no problem. But Windy has that relationship with LBJ that he can leverage.

It's our loss. We're going to be back to reading Mary Schmitt Boyer and her eye-covering stabs at humor. "After last night's 121-93 drubbing at the hands of the Bulls, it's hard to tell if Byron Scott shaves his head, or if his hair simply fell out! Ha ha!"

Knock me unconscious now. Please.
papacass

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:15 pm

You guys are right in that the whole thing bothers me and that that shouldn't be the reason to begrudge a guy a promotion.

Fair enough.

That's sour grapes on my part.

But there's no effing way you're changing my opinion that he comes off as sycophantic and with less credibility/integrity.

He's a coat-tailer. Maybe he's better paid now and that's how he plays it. It's for his family. Maybe that allows him to sleep at night. Fine.

I think he's a douchebag for going to the one place that would make him like one. A guy that talented and with those connections that you speak of has more than one option outside of Cleveland.

Dude's 300lbs and has a face for radio. He's not going to get the run there he'd get elsewhere and there will always be whispers of him being LBJ's lap dog.

You're not talking me out of that.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:28 pm

He has coat-tailed of LBJ his entire career though. Quick name the OKC Thunder or Minnesota Timberwolves beat writer. The biggest reason people have heard of Brian Windhorst is LeBron James, he is just continuing that association before he becomes irrelevant. Getting scoops on the Mo Williams trade to Golden State ain't going to get him interviews on ESPNEWS.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:42 pm

Ziner wrote:He has coat-tailed of LBJ his entire career though. Quick name the OKC Thunder or Minnesota Timberwolves beat writer. The biggest reason people have heard of Brian Windhorst is LeBron James, he is just continuing that association before he becomes irrelevant. Getting scoops on the Mo Williams trade to Golden State ain't going to get him interviews on ESPNEWS.

Dude- Come on. There's a difference between being at the ABJ/PD when LBJ is drafted and then following him like a puppy to South Beach.

Number one was just good luck. Bravo. You took advantage of it, people respected your work, your ability to stay above the fray, your integrity and your credibility because you were that guy.

Now you go down there with your nose up his ass voluntarily.

There's a big, big difference in how that's going to be perceived. If you don't agree that's fine.

But don't tell me you don't understand that that is going to be the perception. And probably justifiably so.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:46 pm

papacass wrote:I can't see how he wouldn't follow LBJ around.

Because he ripped LBJ at the end of all of it as bad as any of us? And now he'd be doing same? I don't care what he does. Unlike his fan club I see him as JAG. I admire the hard work of beat reporters in season, esp NBA and MLB with that grind, but they all basically do the same thing.

Had Windy just reported and stayed opinion free about Bron I wouldn't be shocked if he took that job given the way the NBA is back-channell rigged like the mafia these days rendering anyone who pays for a Cavs ticket with the intent of following a contending team a fool. But he was pretty venomous himself.

That said, if I were a cavs writer and had talent, I'd be out as well. Just not to Miami as a synchophant.

And what was the name of the Indians club house assistant who told Joey belle, "Thanks but no thanks" when he tried to buy him off to Chicago, staying Cleveland for less money?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:54 pm

FUDU wrote:
Ziner wrote:I can't blame any joe-shmoe for hooking his boxcar up to the money train and chasing the dollars. Windy does a hell of a job, he will be irrelevant and underpaid (opposed to the dollars thrown at him) if he stays in Cleveland. Ain't like the dude has made 80 million in his career thus far, money probably is an object to him.

Agreed, and if he was with the ABJ originally he probably never like the CPD anyway.

I heard he grew up hating Cleveland and was never a cavs fan.
jb

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:54 pm

I think that you are correct that it will be the perception in Cleveland, I think the rest of the country won't care. The people in Miami won't care, they will like that they now have a reporter with a good relationship with LBJ who can get them news, much like we did. What the rest of the country will care about is that he stays above the fray and continues to do his thing, he will not become a joke if he follows Lebron. Sure people might rip him, but it is nothing they wouldnt do. I also think that the paychecks and relevance will help him sleep at night even if his nose is right up his ass. You can write the best shit in the world but if no one reads it who cares.

I also don't look at it as following him like a puppy, he is going where the money is, no different than most other people who switch jobs. Let's be honest, he would be an idiot if he didnt go, not sure how anyone would think otherwise. Maverick Carter is the puppy, Windhorst is just leveraging his skill and relationship to continue to be relevant in his field and continue to move up. What do you propose he does? Forgo the 100K pay raise to stay at a paper that is probably going to be out of business soon anyway?

Maybe I have just been expecting this so I kind of look at it with a ho-hum attitude.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:04 pm

You don't know the details of the deal anymore than I do Z.

And again, as I argued with e0y2e3 a month or so ago, all I have is the Cleveland parochial viewpoint. I'm sorry man. This is where I am. Where I've always been.

I don't have a world view on Windy or LBJ leaving. I have this view from right here in the middle of the shit.

So yeah, guilty as charged when I give a provincial, geo-fucking-centric view of a given event.

It's all I got man.

Like I said, congrats to him on the bump in pay. Congrats to him for being part of a 6 person media team following the Heat where he'll get lost in all the noise but do so with more benjamins lining his wallet. People in Miami may not care where he was before. But people in the business will be quick to note that when LBJ whistled his bitch came a running.

Fair or unfair.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:10 pm

Come on McPeek. If Windhorst is going to finish his re-imagining of the King James Bible, he has to re-assume his servile position of tossed salad or footlongs for each meal of the day.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:13 pm

I know I dont know the details, I was just throwing out a number. (how much does he bring in you guess? I was thinking 125K-150K). I mean how much can the PD afford and fly him all over the country to every game.

Yeah I get it. I just figure if he wants to take the career risk of becoming LBJ's lap dog then who cares.

I wasn't trying to put you down on your Cleveland-centric view. I just think sometimes the people outside the area can put a little perspective on a story like this. If you dont want perspective I have no problem shutting the hell up. Sometimes people just don't want to hear it, I know I dont sometimes. I have and do listen and read the Chicago and Denver media when I lived in those respective cities. It becomes clear how little most cities care about other cities outside of the major ESPN-type stories.

Lebron was talked about on Denver radio for 3-4 days tops. Then they didn't give a shit anymore, except for when they relate it to Carmelo. If that was the reaction to that story I just dont think the common fan in this area gives two shits about Windy and his reputation.

Whatever, maybe I should just STFU when it comes to taking more money to leave Cleveland. I did the first chance I got, not paticularly to leave the city, but for the money. That said, if given the choice between equal money and many cities in the country I would take Cleveland. Almost moved back before we came to Colorado, was plenty happy about it when I thought it was going to happen.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:16 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Come on McPeek. If Windhorst is going to finish his re-imagining of the King James Bible, he has to re-assume his servile position of tossed salad or footlongs for each meal of the day.

As you said earlier Tripods, Brian Windhorst covers one more guy than Eric Wright does.

Maybe he's got designs on being Sam Smith.

Fuck him.... I mean....good luck to him. All the best.

Marmalard...Dead!....Niedermeyer....Dead

All dead to me.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:17 pm

F that fat ass.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:21 pm

Ziner wrote:I know I dont know the details, I was just throwing out a number. (how much does he bring in you guess? I was thinking 125K-150K). I mean how much can the PD afford and fly him all over the country to every game.

Yeah I get it. I just figure if he wants to take the career risk of becoming LBJ's lap dog then who cares.

I wasn't trying to put you down on your Cleveland-centric view. I just think sometimes the people outside the area can put a little perspective on a story like this. If you dont want perspective I have no problem shutting the hell up. Sometimes people just don't want to hear it, I know I dont sometimes. I have and do listen and read the Chicago and Denver media when I lived in those respective cities. It becomes clear how little most cities care about other cities outside of the major ESPN-type stories.

Lebron was talked about on Denver radio for 3-4 days tops. Then they didn't give a shit anymore, except for when they relate it to Carmelo. If that was the reaction to that story I just dont think the common fan in this area gives two shits about Windy and his reputation.

Whatever, maybe I should just STFU when it comes to taking more money to leave Cleveland. I did the first chance I got, not paticularly to leave the city, but for the money. That said, if given the choice between equal money and many cities in the country I would take Cleveland. Almost moved back before we came to Colorado, was plenty happy about it when I thought it was going to happen.

I didn't think you were trying to put me down. I just think people who aren't here might very well have a different persective. It might very well be the right perspective. It's just not the same one I have and I don't know any other perspective.

I would seriously doubt that Windy made six figures in that gig. Just from what little I know about the market I'd say 75k-80k tops here in Cleveland plus whatever other gigs he had on the side under whatever other names he wrote under. ;-) ;) :wink:

Look, money makes the world go round. Worse places to make it than Miami for sure. But I don't know if I could wear the 'Lebrons Bitch' name tag for however long I was there.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:24 pm

peeker643 wrote:You don't know the details of the deal anymore than I do Z.

And again, as I argued with e0y2e3 a month or so ago, all I have is the Cleveland parochial viewpoint. I'm sorry man. This is where I am. Where I've always been.

I don't have a world view on Windy or LBJ leaving. I have this view from right here in the middle of the shit.

So yeah, guilty as charged when I give a provincial, geo-fucking-centric view of a given event.

It's all I got man.

Like I said, congrats to him on the bump in pay. Congrats to him for being part of a 6 person media team following the Heat where he'll get lost in all the noise but do so with more benjamins lining his wallet. People in Miami may not care where he was before. But people in the business will be quick to note that when LBJ whistled his bitch came a running.

Fair or unfair.

We get the last laugh, peeker.

Imagine that fat kid swaeting his balls off down there, and he'll have to take his shirt off on the beach, right?
jb

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:27 pm

Thanks for the mental image.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby papacass » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:30 pm

jb wrote:

Because he ripped LBJ at the end of all of it as bad as any of us? And now he'd be doing same? I don't care what he does. Unlike his fan club I see him as JAG. I admire the hard work of beat reporters in season, esp NBA and MLB with that grind, but they all basically do the same thing.

Windy is a good beat reporter, though. He flat-out is. It's not subjective. The guy knows his stuff. He educates his readers, as I said upthread.

To clarify, I'm not going to try to convince anyone that Windy walks on water. He can be a good fundamental team beat reporter and LBJ fanboy at the same time. The good exists with the bad. It has for seven years.

As for Windy ripping LBJ in the aftermath of ESPN's rendition of Prince's "Jack U Off," that won't have any lasting effect. When Bron-Bron said he's taking notes of everyone who said bad things about him, he thought he meant "EVERYONE," but he really meant guys like Chuckles and Jimmy Kimmel. Windy unloaded on Bron on WKNR. I doubt Bron even knows there is a radio station called WKNR.
papacass

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:32 pm

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:You don't know the details of the deal anymore than I do Z.

It's all I got man.

Fair or unfair.

We get the last laugh, peeker.

Imagine that fat kid swaeting his balls off down there, and he'll have to take his shirt off on the beach, right?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:55 pm

papacass wrote:
jb wrote:

Windy is a good beat reporter, though. He flat-out is. It's not subjective. The guy knows his stuff. He educates his readers, as I said upthread.

To clarify, I'm not going to try to convince anyone that Windy walks on water. He can be a good fundamental team beat reporter and LBJ fanboy at the same time. The good exists with the bad. It has for seven years.

As for Windy ripping LBJ in the aftermath of ESPN's rendition of Prince's "Jack U Off," that won't have any lasting effect. When Bron-Bron said he's taking notes of everyone who said bad things about him, he thought he meant "EVERYONE," but he really meant guys like Chuckles and Jimmy Kimmel. Windy unloaded on Bron on WKNR. I doubt Bron even knows there is a radio station called WKNR.

As sensitive as baby Bron and his brat pack are, I doubt he was unaware. But an oath of re-aligiance and a peck on the booty solves things, I suppose.

I never said Windy was good or bad. Just that beat reporting is beat reporting. It is an assembly line for professionals, devoid of creativity, and the unwritten rule of "off the record" and limited criticism so the reporter's life isn't miserable applies. Unlike op-ed, they are pretty boring other than staying abreat of a team. Fat kid did a good job, but so can the next guy. the Bron drama has come and gone as a literal once in a lifetime saga for that organization. That aspect of Windy's career is not needed any longer.

BTW - he never educated me. he told me Bron was going to stay right up until the end.

Unlike an iconic Tait, he won't be missed any more than the last 6 guys.
Last edited by jb on Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jb

Unread postby jb » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:56 pm

peeker643 wrote: Image

Pretty sure Windy has arms, Peeker. Unless he files stories speech to text.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:59 pm

jb wrote:

He's probably got them both wrapped around a couple fucking turkey legs.

Duh...

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:00 pm

peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:

He's probably got them both wrapped around a couple fucking turkey legs.

Duh...

Nah, his elbows would be out.

I think he's hugging an extra large milkshake.
jb

Unread postby papacass » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:28 pm

jb wrote:BTW - he never educated me. he told me Bron was going to stay right up until the end.

I was talking about the salary cap and how trades and free agency work in the NBA. Things like that. You'd think that was NBA beat 101 for any reporter, but you'd be surprised.
papacass

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:36 am

So much for that tell all Lebron book that was rumored. Maybe ESPN is hiring Windy to be the bad guy in a two man, good writer/bad writer tag team coverage. One guy can kiss LBJ's ass and the other can rip LeIso when Miami finishes 3rd in the East.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Flash Gordon
Least Favorite Player: TWofA

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:14 pm

Love child of shawn kemp wrote:So much for that tell all Lebron book that was rumored. Maybe ESPN is hiring Windy to be the bad guy in a two man, good writer/bad writer tag team coverage. One guy can kiss LBJ's ass and the other can rip LeIso when Miami finishes 3rd in the East.

I don't think that book was coming until Windy was closer to retirement anyway. I probably wasn't going to be written while he needs access to NBA players.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:44 pm

Being an expert on Lebron is like being an expert on turds.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:59 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Being an expert on Lebron is like being an expert on turds.

So I'm wondering when my next sig line will leap off the page............
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby dmiles » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:24 pm

I am impressed that you all care... I am having a hard time following the NBA and don't even open my google reader (grabs twitter feeds) with all the "tweterers" that ey0 recommended. In the past I'd know every angle discussed about the Melo situation, now I don't even know what teams are involved in the rumors other than hearing his name on the Radio as potentially asking for a trade.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby papacass » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:48 pm

You could try this theory on for size:

Windy won't leave the PD because ESPN won't let him take plane trips at his offseason fancy.

Windy is a well-documented travel nut. In the offseason, when most of his colleagues are relishing a few months with no plane travel, Windy is looking for reasons to travel. He went around the world this summer.

I tend to think the PD gives him some major concessions with regard to using frequent flyer miles and tying trips to "work" to avoid using vacation time (he visited the NBA Europe offices in London the summer before last). I can't think he makes a fortune working for the PD -- certainly not the salary of a world traveler. So he has to get his travel financed another way.

ESPN, being a bigger corporation, might not be as liberal with letting Windy find company-financed reasons to travel. To Windy, giving that up might not be worth the bump in pay.

Just another theory to put on the table.
papacass

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:28 pm

dmiles wrote:I am impressed that you all care... I am having a hard time following the NBA and don't even open my google reader (grabs twitter feeds) with all the "tweterers" that ey0 recommended. In the past I'd know every angle discussed about the Melo situation, now I don't even know what teams are involved in the rumors other than hearing his name on the Radio as potentially asking for a trade.

Ridiculous.

I've been told that interest in the NBA is up everywhere other than Cleveland unless you're a weepy, sentimental a-hole. ;-) ;) :wink:

How could anyone be sick of guys like Melo dictating in which metropolis they will play?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:31 pm

I'm liking this lineup...
1 Sessions
2 Mo
3 Jamo
4 JJ
5 Andy

Holy crap we are going to get blown-out something wicked at times, but I think we will be putting a few beatdowns on unsuspecting teams. Woot!~

We just really neeeded that fat ass center to do some bangin' down low.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby papacass » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:22 pm

Orenthal wrote:We just really neeeded that fat ass center to do some bangin' down low.

Unfortunately, that's the basketball equivalent of saying "we just need that ace pitcher that takes the ball and kicks ass in Game 5/7."

Man, I wish Hibbert would have slipped to 19 two years ago.
papacass

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:37 pm

^You and me both. Although I don't even need someone of that ilk. I'm looking for more of a Duckworth type guy, basically just a big body with no offensive skill-set. All our bigs are now skinny and athletic, but far from being able to hold ground.

ETA
Holy crap Duckworth had some serviceable if not All-Star years. I was speaking nore or less '92-'93 on...
Orenthal

Unread postby papacass » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:27 am

http://cavswitness.wordpress.com/2010/10/01/windy-days-realcavsfans-com-live-chat-9-30-10/

Windy chat with RealCavsFans. Interesting stuff on a number of topics. Pertaining to his potential departure to ESPN, below is what he had to say. The last bit sure makes it sound like he's apartment hunting in Dade County.

"I’m in a bit of an awkward spot here. It is true that I have talked to ESPN about going to ESPN.com to cover the NBA with an emphasis on the Heat. But it is a very complicated decision that I haven’t made yet. I hope to have some clarity in the next couple of days."

"Thanks. No matter what happens with me, I appreciate all the support I’ve gotten from Cavs fans over the years."
papacass

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:51 am

Orenthal wrote:^You and me both. Although I don't even need someone of that ilk. I'm looking for more of a Duckworth type guy, basically just a big body with no offensive skill-set. All our bigs are now skinny and athletic, but far from being able to hold ground.

ETA
Holy crap Duckworth had some serviceable if not All-Star years. I was speaking nore or less '92-'93 on...
87-93 Duckworth was actually decent, hard to remember him being that back then though, probably b/c there was actually numerous good centers in the league back then. Wrong time and place for him back then.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:33 pm

Exactly donny. I may have been a little young to be anything but a Cavaliers homer at that point, but I just always kind of assumed him a lump of meat.
Orenthal

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:57 am

He gone -- and the Heat Index here (almost):

http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2010/1 ... 9d-oct-11/
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:31 am

I refuse to see this guy as anything but a bloated piece of shit.
Orenthal

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:33 am

I love the periodic articles from the ombudsman at espn that come out, defending their objectivity and integrity. Especially the one after that debacle.

Then they follow it up with a special page featuring, among other things:
Hollinger’s All-Time Power Rankings – a ranking pinning the Heat against the NBA’s all-time great teams
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby papacass » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:10 pm

I'm pretty much done with ESPN. I haven't watched more than two minutes of ESPN since the end of the Cavs season, and it's been so long since I've visited their site, my browser no longer auto-finishes it when I type "E."

In other words, best of luck Windy. I won't be reading your stuff anymore, but get down to South Beach and kick ass with your reporting the way you know how. I'm sure you'll develop a new, much larger fan base if your reporting approaches what you did for the ABJ and PD.

But if you're stuck writing fluff pieces on the awesomeness of LBJ...that's how the game is played, I guess.
papacass

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:03 pm

The way ESPN has evolved other the course of this past decade has been, for lack of a better word disgusting.

"The Heat Index" just..makes me sick to my stomach and the fact that they've segments focusing on the training camp of said team, really is representing what sports has started to become in this country.

I believe that Jason Whitlock, (Who I never thought I would consider a serious journalist..but goddamn is he right) said it best, it's no longer about fairly covering a story over at ESPN, it's about being a marketing tool for the biggest brands out there and trying to make them look good. In their eyes. They can't afford to have anybody say anything negative about LeBron so they're going to make him look like he was entirely justified in his behavior.

They don't care that what he did was the epitome of how to not act in a professional environment and that it was just an awful example to be seen by children around the world or about how the city of Cleveland was treated like 2nd rate trash by this jerkass and how this is starting to represent a sickening trend of pampering atheletes to their every ridiculous wind, they simply care that their golden manchild can dribble a basketball and can get them the maximum amount out of the ratings.

Which will be quite sad is, that this is all that will be remembered when game 1 of the NBA Finals is airing on their network against the Lake show.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:40 pm

jerkass?
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho