Text Size

College Sports Arena

OSU-EMU Game Thread

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:22 pm

FUDU wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
FUDU wrote:Quite a disappointing game for the secondary today, no doubt the weak link on the D that needs to get their shit straight soon.


You're like a friggin naysaying machine.
Sometimes yes, sadly I'm correct much more than I'm not. You're not trying to defend this secondary as anything much better than average are you....

Wait don't answer, I forgot you're drinking.


I agree the secondary is the "weak" link, but they've given up, what, 2 tds? And I really don't think they "need to get their shit straight soon", they've been solid given the injuires. We'll see how they do in the second half.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:23 pm

wiz1001 wrote:Halftime stats for Lil Dane: 8 catches for 100 yds.....3 TD's


Does he make it to the NFL?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:25 pm

CDT, my point is this is EMU, not Illinois, PSU or even Iowa, just EMU. Not to mention a couple of poorly thrown balls to wide open Eagles and a couple of drops for them as well.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:29 pm

Image
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6495
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:33 pm

All along the concern has been that the secondary might be vulnerable deep down the middle of the field. Safeties are big and tough, but not the greatest in coverage. Play action compounds the problem. Johnson is looking particularly confused and slow to react on some of his assignments. Better now than a month or six weeks from now.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar
 
Posts: 2553
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:36 pm

FUDU wrote:CDT, my point is this is EMU, not Illinois, PSU or even Iowa, just EMU. Not to mention a couple of poorly thrown balls to wide open Eagles and a couple of drops for them as well.


Were they not solid every other game this year, even VS Miami? Injuries have hurt their depth. They could be playing better in this game, but it's not that bad either.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:40 pm

THE GREAT DANE.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:48 pm

That Scott kid is good.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6495
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:49 pm

Don't know if they're announcing this on TV or not, but Lil Dane ties OSU record for TD's in a game with Terry Glenn (1995 vs Pitt) and Bob Grimes (1952)
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar
 
Posts: 2553
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:50 pm

Berry needs to start
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6495
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:53 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Berry needs to start


Ehhhh.... I'd rather have Herron 1st, and Berry/Hall 2nd.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:00 pm

There is something missing today, no doubt, not sure exactly what it is but we're leaving something on the sidelines...intensity, focus? Maybe complacency is involved on a few plays each drive.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:02 pm

I agree on Herron 1 and Hall/Berry combo 2, I've seen enough of Saine as a primary focus. He has not looked tough at all lately, rarely escapes first contact all of a sudden.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:05 pm

Damn that was set up nice, none of us saw that coming. Nice one JT.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:05 pm

lol. Halfback pass.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:10 pm

What a cheap shot.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:25 pm

Jordan Hall has a suddenness that the Herron and Saine don't, I really like watching him. Nice to see JT still working the team out even leading by 30 going into the 4th. Nice to see him determined to get his team work.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6441
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:28 pm

One more TD?

Just to keep pace with the other Big Ten offensive explosions.

FWIW if Bama loses I'd prefer getting jumped by Boise St. for #1, it won't happen but I think our team would be better off as #2, looking as if they were dissed.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:29 pm

Up by 29 in the 4th, why are the number 1's still in on D?
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6495
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:34 pm

I liked that defensive series, they said FUEMU you're not going anywhere after the TO, game in hand but still nice to see.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:41 pm

GET HIM THE BALL MORE.

Explosive........
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:45 pm

Berry is something, I would like to see him get a few more carries today. The Saine supporters will point to the true fact that the EMU second team d was out there, but in the end, that doesnt effect the suddeness and full speed cutting of Hall and Berry.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6441
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:47 pm

OK, TD's for Hall AND Berry. That's what I was hoping to see
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar
 
Posts: 2553
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:53 pm

Nice run by Stick Man.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:56 pm

When you give up 20pts you are not supposed to cover a 42pt spread.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby JCoz » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:41 am

All and all just not a great game by the D.

Not gonna react very much about the performance on either side. Johnson's got some work to do, but the time to get it worked out is there.

I think there was a lack of respect on a play or two, and a tough combo route that I'm not entirely sure how we were supposed to cover, just looked like a good call against the right coverage.

Even when we are talking about this terrible day for the defense, it';s important to keep in mind that we are REALLY only talking about 5 plays or so.

All and all reading about how terrible this team was all week kind of managed to ruin me for this game, there was really almost no way to enjoy it.

Next.
User avatar
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:57 am
Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:52 am

JCoz wrote:
All and all reading about how terrible this team was all week kind of managed to ruin me for this game, there was really almost no way to enjoy it.

Next.


Ain't that the truth. When EM got their first first down, I was disappointed. It felt like giving up any more than zero yards for the game was a failure. Ridiculous to think such things.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:09 pm

I enjoyed it from a different angle:

Seeing how the coaches used the time on the field to work out some wrinkles.
Watching the rotation of backs and seeing how & when the staff called their number.
Watching the first unit D have to get themselves refocused, I think in a way it was good for them to have to fail in some spots to force themselves to come back and prove they could dictate the action on a following series.

The 2 things that bothered me most about the game in general were the fact that our Oline didn't dominate nearly as much as they should have, and our receivers didn't have as much open space to work in (not counting the broken down plays in which space always opens up).
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby tired » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:21 pm

What's everyone's thought's on the hurry up offense they ran ? I loved it. I wondered if Tress was the coach when seeing that.
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
User avatar
tired
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:10 pm
Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:08 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:
JCoz wrote:
All and all reading about how terrible this team was all week kind of managed to ruin me for this game, there was really almost no way to enjoy it.

Next.


Ain't that the truth. When EM got their first first down, I was disappointed. It felt like giving up any more than zero yards for the game was a failure. Ridiculous to think such things.


Tough room.

I thought there was lots to enjoy. Watching OJ and Corey Brown taking their lumps and getting better...enjoying 345 yards rushing, 11 by the starting tailback...watching the OSU D-line completely swallow the EMU running game...that kind of thing.

Stoneburner has an ankle sprain (might miss 1-2 weeks?), but otherwise they came out of it healthy. That's all you were really hoping for.


For the historians and trivia buffs....thought I'd post here part of an email from Shelly Poe, OSU SID for football, (assisted by DC Koehl) who has been responding to reporters' questions following the game.


Some answers to your questions…

The previous times a Buckeye scored a touchdown 3 different ways in a game:

*1948 at Illinois: Gerald Krall
-10 yd reception from Pandel Savic
-9 yd pass to Alex Verdova
-5 yd run

*1950 vs. Iowa: Vic Janowicz
-11 yd run
-61 yd punt return
-passed for 4 TD (12, 40, 26, 44 yds)

*1984 vs. Iowa: Keith Byars
-50 yd run
-14 yd reception from Mike Tomczak
-35 yd pass to Mike Lanese
-7 yd run

*2004 vs. Michigan State: Ted Ginn Jr.
-17-yd reverse
-60-yd punt return
-58-yd reception from Troy Smith

Is six the most passing TDs the Buckeyes have ever had in a game?

*No, but the most since a 54-14 win at Pitt in 1995, when Bobby Hoying threw 5, Stanley Jackson threw one and Tom Hoying threw one for a team total of 7 TD passes

Have there ever been NCAA teammates who scored both receiving and passing touchdowns in the same game?

*Yes – seems like the last time it happened was in 2002, when California’s Kyle Boller and LaShaun Ward did it against Michigan State on Sept. 14, 2002, in East Lansing. QB Boller caught a 14-yard TD pass from WR Ward, then Boller threw a 54-yard pass to Ward.

Was Terrelle’s 53-yard touchdown run – a career best for him – the longest touchdown run ever by a Buckeye quarterback?

*No – the longest rushing TDs by a Buckeye QB were 76 yards, by Rex Kern vs. Illinois in 1970; and 72 yards, by Cornelius Greene vs. TCU in 1973
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar
 
Posts: 2553
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:04 am

On that long TD run Pryor never once looked as if there was a sense of urgency nor looked as if he didn't think he was going all the way. His style of running is effortless, it often gives the viewer the impression he isn't trying. In contrast you take a guy like Denard Robinson, truly as gifted a runner, and he looks like every run is his last and for his life, with the number of steps he takes.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:52 am

wiz1001 wrote:
Motherscratcher wrote:
JCoz wrote:
All and all reading about how terrible this team was all week kind of managed to ruin me for this game, there was really almost no way to enjoy it.

Next.


Ain't that the truth. When EM got their first first down, I was disappointed. It felt like giving up any more than zero yards for the game was a failure. Ridiculous to think such things.


Tough room.

I thought there was lots to enjoy. Watching OJ and Corey Brown taking their lumps and getting better...enjoying 345 yards rushing, 11 by the starting tailback...watching the OSU D-line completely swallow the EMU running game...that kind of thing.

Stoneburner has an ankle sprain (might miss 1-2 weeks?), but otherwise they came out of it healthy. That's all you were really hoping for.


For the historians and trivia buffs....thought I'd post here part of an email from Shelly Poe, OSU SID for football, (assisted by DC Koehl) who has been responding to reporters' questions following the game.


Some answers to your questions…

The previous times a Buckeye scored a touchdown 3 different ways in a game:

*1948 at Illinois: Gerald Krall
-10 yd reception from Pandel Savic
-9 yd pass to Alex Verdova
-5 yd run

*1950 vs. Iowa: Vic Janowicz
-11 yd run
-61 yd punt return
-passed for 4 TD (12, 40, 26, 44 yds)

*1984 vs. Iowa: Keith Byars
-50 yd run
-14 yd reception from Mike Tomczak
-35 yd pass to Mike Lanese
-7 yd run

*2004 vs. Michigan State: Ted Ginn Jr.
-17-yd reverse
-60-yd punt return
-58-yd reception from Troy Smith

Is six the most passing TDs the Buckeyes have ever had in a game?

*No, but the most since a 54-14 win at Pitt in 1995, when Bobby Hoying threw 5, Stanley Jackson threw one and Tom Hoying threw one for a team total of 7 TD passes

Have there ever been NCAA teammates who scored both receiving and passing touchdowns in the same game?

*Yes – seems like the last time it happened was in 2002, when California’s Kyle Boller and LaShaun Ward did it against Michigan State on Sept. 14, 2002, in East Lansing. QB Boller caught a 14-yard TD pass from WR Ward, then Boller threw a 54-yard pass to Ward.

Was Terrelle’s 53-yard touchdown run – a career best for him – the longest touchdown run ever by a Buckeye quarterback?

*No – the longest rushing TDs by a Buckeye QB were 76 yards, by Rex Kern vs. Illinois in 1970; and 72 yards, by Cornelius Greene vs. TCU in 1973


I'm not trying to be a total downer, but reading things like Sagrin ranking EMU 180-something out of 120 D1-A teams last year......yes that isnt a typo, he's saying there were 60+ FCS schools that were better last season, lost 15 straight, were basically 120ish nationally in about every category there is....

It just put me in a spot where I couldn't enjoy the game very much. Not really my style either, usually I love a blowout and watch every snap....

This time I turned it off at Halftime - An absolute first for me.

I went and watched the other games and finished the bucks game Sunday morning with some coffee.

Who knows, I was in a pretty crappy mood after spending my Sat working since 6am after what already was a brutal week. Could have played a part.

For whatever reason, this game felt different to me. For the first time I can remember I thought this game was completely and totally worthless even to our backups, and seeing Pryor take that shot to the legs did nothing to make me feel better about it.

Would rather have had a bye week and have the team scrimmage against the #2 team in the country than pick on a Ohio High School JV team for 3 hours. I don't know what made it different from other blowouts I've watched, but something felt distinctly different to me.
User avatar
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:57 am
Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:17 am

I'm with Coz on this one. Wasn't an enjoyable game nor one I looked forward to. And when I caught scores through the day (I opted for youth soccer) I wondered how the hell EMU scored 20.

Sad but that's how I saw it too.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22758
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:42 am

Speaking of the wicked shot Pryor took to the leg on that second TD pass....

There's a H.S. coach who's a respected and knowledgeable poster on one of the OSU boards, who says he knows some of the guys on the EMU coaching staff, and is close to others in the EMU program. He says that shot was no accident....the EMU staff coaches their kids to do that.

He also speculates that that cheap shot on Pryor, along with the other cheap shot they put on punt returner Corey Brown, probably contributed to Tressel's willingness to run up the score to 73, including gadget plays and whatever else.

Just thought that was interesting.

I totally understand how you guys feel about the game....but it's on the schedule, and you have to play it. Actually, I think EMU is probably a better team than Ohio U. and also probably better than NMSU was last year.

And I have to disagree totally with the idea that playing a game like this does no one any good. I'm sure Orhian Johnson, Dominic Clarke, Corey Brown, Corey Brown, Adam Bellamy, Jonathan Hankins, Garret Goebel, Jaamal Berry, Jordan Hall, Kenny Guiton and Carlos Hyde at a minimum, would disagree too.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar
 
Posts: 2553
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby furls » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:45 pm

I was glad to see the bucks keep working and get the depth some plays. I have always had a gripe with the vest for not using the full game in blowouts to make someone better. I think that simply taking out the starters when up by 50 is enough, after that, if you can't stop my second or third team, well that is your problem. Next time schedule a directional school from Louisiana.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6441
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:01 pm

furls wrote:I was glad to see the bucks keep working and get the depth some plays. I have always had a gripe with the vest for not using the full game in blowouts to make someone better. I think that simply taking out the starters when up by 50 is enough, after that, if you can't stop my second or third team, well that is your problem. Next time schedule a directional school from Louisiana.


Indeed. OSU paid EMU $850,000 to be their bitch for 60 minutes. Might as well get your money's worth.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3707
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston

Re: OSU-EMU Game Thread

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:08 pm

wiz1001 wrote:Speaking of the wicked shot Pryor took to the leg on that second TD pass....

There's a H.S. coach who's a respected and knowledgeable poster on one of the OSU boards, who says he knows some of the guys on the EMU coaching staff, and is close to others in the EMU program. He says that shot was no accident....the EMU staff coaches their kids to do that.

He also speculates that that cheap shot on Pryor, along with the other cheap shot they put on punt returner Corey Brown, probably contributed to Tressel's willingness to run up the score to 73, including gadget plays and whatever else.

Just thought that was interesting.

I totally understand how you guys feel about the game....but it's on the schedule, and you have to play it. Actually, I think EMU is probably a better team than Ohio U. and also probably better than NMSU was last year.

And I have to disagree totally with the idea that playing a game like this does no one any good. I'm sure Orhian Johnson, Dominic Clarke, Corey Brown, Corey Brown, Adam Bellamy, Jonathan Hankins, Garret Goebel, Jaamal Berry, Jordan Hall, Kenny Guiton and Carlos Hyde at a minimum, would disagree too.


Dan, I would agree in alot of ways, this game just felt different.
User avatar
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:57 am
Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests