Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:26 pm

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17916
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:52 pm

Good to hear. The best remaining player on the team wanted to quit basketball because LeBron left.

I don't think we need to know anything else about this year's Cavs.
GodHatesClevelandSport
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:48 am
Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:38 am

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Good to hear. The best remaining player on the team wanted to quit basketball because LeBron left.

I don't think we need to know anything else about this year's Cavs.


Gotta trade him at this point, hate saying it, but if you're really looking out for the best for Mo and for the Cavs, you give him to a team like the Lakers or hell even give him back to the Bucks.

Gotta get as bad as possible too, anything not young or at the very least promising you give up.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.


Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
User avatar
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories
 
Posts: 6363
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:26 pm
Location: Kent-Green, Ohio
Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:11 am

What a bitch...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
User avatar
Orenthal
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: The Midd Heights
Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby aoxo1 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:27 am

Triple-S wrote:
GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Good to hear. The best remaining player on the team wanted to quit basketball because LeBron left.

I don't think we need to know anything else about this year's Cavs.


Gotta trade him at this point, hate saying it, but if you're really looking out for the best for Mo and for the Cavs, you give him to a team like the Lakers or hell even give him back to the Bucks.

Gotta get as bad as possible too, anything not young or at the very least promising you give up.

Now you've got something. Let's just give the Lakers whatever they want off our roster, so that they can beat the Heat like the little bitches they are.

Dead serious.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
User avatar
aoxo1
 
Posts: 2934
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:23 pm
Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby CharacterIV » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:31 am

aoxo1 wrote:
Triple-S wrote:
GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Good to hear. The best remaining player on the team wanted to quit basketball because LeBron left.

I don't think we need to know anything else about this year's Cavs.


Gotta trade him at this point, hate saying it, but if you're really looking out for the best for Mo and for the Cavs, you give him to a team like the Lakers or hell even give him back to the Bucks.

Gotta get as bad as possible too, anything not young or at the very least promising you give up.

Now you've got something. Let's just give the Lakers whatever they want off our roster, so that they can beat the Heat like the little bitches they are.

Dead serious.


Sounds good to me. Send 'em Andy as well so they can set his Tazmanian Devil ass loose on that ballerina Bosh.

Or do we hedge our bets by spreading it around a little bit? Mo to the Lakers, Andy to Boston, Antawn to Orlando? It'll look more legit that way.
Being a Cleveland fan builds character.
User avatar
CharacterIV
 
Posts: 1025
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:18 am
Location: Portland
Favorite Player: Indignation
Least Favorite Player: "Brands"

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:52 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:I don't think we need to know anything else about last year's Cavs.



Fixed for yah.

And trade proposals going out to all league office faxes in comic sans font in 3...2...1...
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby boilerdaveb » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:05 pm

Personally, I was glad that a player cared that his chance of competing for a title was now gone when he left, he felt like most of the fans felt. I find that more refreshing than him kissing Lebron's butt on the way out the door and wishing him luck like a lot of the guys do when a star leaves, with the whole "it's a business" cliche. He took it hard because it's possible he bought in just like the fans thinking that he was going to compete yearly for a title. Say what you want about him in the playoffs, but at least he appears to actually care about winning/legacy whereas some only cared about their numbers. Hopefully he can use that as motivation to produce in the future, be it as a Cav or elsewhere.
boilerdaveb
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:04 pm
Location: Grove City OH
Favorite Player: Melvin Levett
Least Favorite Player: The Big Ticket

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:13 pm

Meh... there will be the normal amount of heavy petting and near fornication before the Cavs and Heat tip it off.

Bleedat.

And :lmfao: to Andy being a manly enforcer-type while Bosh is seen as soft.

Charmin and Cottonelle
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22625
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby CharacterIV » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:21 pm

peeker643 wrote:And :lmfao: to Andy being a manly enforcer-type while Bosh is seen as soft.

Charmin and Cottonelle


Clarification required, presuming the :lmfao: above refers to my wish that Andy ends up on a contender to deal with Bosh. Manly enforcer, no... Annoying as hell on D, yes. Chances are good Bosh's frustration level will be red-lining for the better part the season as an unquestioned third banana, so I'm figuring Andy's relentless pestering could be a hell of an effective weapon against him during a 7 game playoff series. Goad him into some dumb plays, a couple of unnecessary T's, maybe an ejection?
Being a Cleveland fan builds character.
User avatar
CharacterIV
 
Posts: 1025
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:18 am
Location: Portland
Favorite Player: Indignation
Least Favorite Player: "Brands"

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:26 pm

aoxo1 wrote:
Triple-S wrote:
GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Good to hear. The best remaining player on the team wanted to quit basketball because LeBron left.

I don't think we need to know anything else about this year's Cavs.


Gotta trade him at this point, hate saying it, but if you're really looking out for the best for Mo and for the Cavs, you give him to a team like the Lakers or hell even give him back to the Bucks.

Gotta get as bad as possible too, anything not young or at the very least promising you give up.

Now you've got something. Let's just give the Lakers whatever they want off our roster, so that they can beat the Heat like the little bitches they are.

Dead serious.


Exactly.

It won't hurt us anymore to trade our best assets like Mo, Andy to any team like the Celtics, Magic or Lakers. We're not contending for championship a lonnnnng time, 5 years mininum. So by that time chances are those franchises are all but in rebuilding mode as well, while Durantula is ruling the basketball world and beating up on the Carmelo/Stoudamire Knicks in the Finals.

Lose, lose like you've never lost before and build through the draft. You got a coach already, keep giving him pieces and lets go from there.

JUST LOSE BABY.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.


Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
User avatar
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories
 
Posts: 6363
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:26 pm
Location: Kent-Green, Ohio
Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:41 pm

CharacterIV wrote:
peeker643 wrote:And :lmfao: to Andy being a manly enforcer-type while Bosh is seen as soft.

Charmin and Cottonelle


Clarification required, presuming the :lmfao: above refers to my wish that Andy ends up on a contender to deal with Bosh. Manly enforcer, no... Annoying as hell on D, yes. Chances are good Bosh's frustration level will be red-lining for the better part the season as an unquestioned third banana, so I'm figuring Andy's relentless pestering could be a hell of an effective weapon against him during a 7 game playoff series. Goad him into some dumb plays, a couple of unnecessary T's, maybe an ejection?


I'll buy that.

Anyone catch Chris Douglas-Roberts just destroy Mo Gotti over his "LBJ Leaving had me thinking about retiring" shit?

Tremendously funny. Two straight CDR Twitter posts consisting of him laughing out loud at what a tool Mo made himself to be.

I wish y'all could see me right now. I'm on the FLOOR literally crying from laughing. I can't get up! Help me!! Help meeeee! Hahahaahahaaaa!
about 20 hours ago via Echofon
Reply Retweet . Hahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaaahahaahahahahahahahaahahhahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahaahahahahahahahaaaaa
about 20 hours ago via Echofon
Reply Retweet . Yo, Mo Williams is like 27 & considered RETIRING!! Not due to injuries, due to hurt feelings! Ahahahahahahahahaahahhahahaahahahahaahahahahaa
about 20 hours ago via Echofon
Reply Retweet . @NSMORTGAGESHOP hahahahaaa. Lame. Try again. Hahahaaa
about 20 hours ago via Echofon in reply to NSMORTGAGESHOP

Reply Retweet . Hahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahhahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahaaaahahahaahahahahahahahaaaaa
about 20 hours ago via Echofon
Reply Retweet . Hahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahhahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahaahahahahahahahahaaa
about 20 hours ago via Echofon
Reply Retweet . Hahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahhahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahaahahahahahahahaaaaa
about 20 hours ago via Echofon
Reply Retweet . Hahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahhahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahaahahahahahahahahaa
about 20 hours ago via Echofon
Reply Retweet . Wowww so Moe Williams said he considered RETIRING b/c LeBron left! Hahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahaa!
about 20 hours ago via Echofon
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22625
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby tired » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:44 pm

3 yrs. 26 mill. and this overated cocksucker thinks about retiring. Ship him !!!
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
User avatar
tired
 
Posts: 563
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:10 pm
Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby daddywags » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:28 pm

"27, healthy and has three years and $26 million remaining on his contract"

and he's worried about who's going to feel sorry for him?

So he manages to pick himself up and drag himself down to Cleveland Clinic Courts to begin preparations for collecting that $26 mil. Damn, that's impressive. Way to suck it up, Mo. Not very many people could have done that. ::doh::
daddywags
 
Posts: 1462
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:22 pm

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby bac5665 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:14 pm

Triple-S wrote:Lose, lose like you've never lost before and build through the draft. You got a coach already, keep giving him pieces and lets go from there.

JUST LOSE BABY.


Which is exactly why the NBA is dead to me. No sports system, ever should ever, ever, ever, ever, ever make it ok to tank a season. It makes me sick to my stomach to see teams resting their starters at the start of a game, or to see what the Nicks and Nets did for the last several years, or what people say (correctly as far as I can tell) that the Cavs need to do. It's just not how any competitive person should comport themselves. And yet, the NBA is designed so that unless you strip your team of talent and then tank intentionally, you're going to have a hell of a time.

Sports should be about competing at the game first and foremost. Anything that makes the games less competitive has to go. Just has to go.
User avatar
bac5665
 
Posts: 946
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:15 pm
Location: Columbus Ohio
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:30 pm

I agree. It's ridiculous teams would sacrifice sucking less now for potentially not sucking in the future. That would never happen with the Indians.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
User avatar
aoxo1
 
Posts: 2934
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:23 pm
Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby bac5665 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:41 pm

I'm pretty pissed at MLB too.
User avatar
bac5665
 
Posts: 946
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:15 pm
Location: Columbus Ohio
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:14 pm

Triple-S wrote:Lose, lose like you've never lost before and build through the draft. You got a coach already, keep giving him pieces and lets go from there.

JUST LOSE BABY.


Because nothing works better than accumulating a bunch of lottery busts and hopefully maybe that one guy with potential who'll be doing his best Vince Carter imitation while notching the days until he hits free agency. Granted that they haven't moved to Las Vegas already after drawing less than the Lake Erie Monsters.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
User avatar
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist
 
Posts: 4656
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:06 am
Location: Parma, OH
Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:35 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
Triple-S wrote:Lose, lose like you've never lost before and build through the draft. You got a coach already, keep giving him pieces and lets go from there.

JUST LOSE BABY.


Because nothing works better than accumulating a bunch of lottery busts and hopefully maybe that one guy with potential who'll be doing his best Vince Carter imitation while notching the days until he hits free agency. Granted that they haven't moved to Las Vegas already after drawing less than the Lake Erie Monsters.


Well, actually nothing has worked better. Pretty much their only stretch of some sort of glory was ping-pong bounced to them.

The only other stretch was bourne from the draft day in which they had the number one pick.

In the NBA, in Cleveland, in the Winter, how in the wide world of sports do you think you can do it any other way.

This, combined with organizational stupidity is what makes the Cavs, wire to wire, one of the sorriest franchises in sports.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6551
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:48 pm

bac5665 wrote:
Triple-S wrote:Lose, lose like you've never lost before and build through the draft. You got a coach already, keep giving him pieces and lets go from there.

JUST LOSE BABY.


Which is exactly why the NBA is dead to me. No sports system, ever should ever, ever, ever, ever, ever make it ok to tank a season. It makes me sick to my stomach to see teams resting their starters at the start of a game, or to see what the Nicks and Nets did for the last several years, or what people say (correctly as far as I can tell) that the Cavs need to do. It's just not how any competitive person should comport themselves. And yet, the NBA is designed so that unless you strip your team of talent and then tank intentionally, you're going to have a hell of a time.

Sports should be about competing at the game first and foremost. Anything that makes the games less competitive has to go. Just has to go.


You should tell that to the Rams. Or the Lions. Or maybe even the Browns.
GodHatesClevelandSport
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:48 am
Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:27 pm

leadpipe wrote:In the NBA, in Cleveland, in the Winter, how in the wide world of sports do you think you can do it any other way.


Image

Yeah, I know. No sausages. But just one losing season in the last twenty? This town would eat it right up.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
User avatar
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist
 
Posts: 4656
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:06 am
Location: Parma, OH
Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby papacass » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:44 pm

I quite frankly wonder about the long-term viability of the NBA in cities like Cleveland, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Memphis etc. The middle-America, mid-sized, white-flight bedroom cities where pro basketball just isn't that popular unless the team is good.

The above-mentioned cities are about as anti-NBA as you can get. They're not havens for hip-hop culture like Detroit is. They're not big-city glamour destinations like Chicago or New York. They're not warm-weather cities. They're not places to see and be seen.

Any young star player who can indulge in all the trappings of the NBA star lifestyle will find nothing attractive about spending his winters playing in a smallish Midwestern burg where they roll the sidewalks up at 7 p.m. They don't have to settle for that, and they won't.

LBJ isn't a problem, he's a symptom. And I don't see how it's possible to build a long-term NBA winner in a city like Cleveland. You just can't keep the talent here. The days of being able to construct your contender around 20-something family-man guys -- like Mark Price and Brad Daugherty were back in the late '80s -- are long gone.

Most of the modern NBA players who value what Cleveland has to offer are over 30 and approaching their 100K checkup, so you don't want to build around them anyway.

I don't see the Cavs, Bucks, Pacers etc. being able to survive competitively in the modern NBA, at least for long stretches. We're just not NBA enough anymore.
User avatar
papacass
 
Posts: 2259
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:35 am
Location: Fairview Park, OH
Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby jb » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:00 pm

papacass wrote:I quite frankly wonder about the long-term viability of the NBA in cities like Cleveland, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Memphis etc. The middle-America, mid-sized, white-flight bedroom cities where pro basketball just isn't that popular unless the team is good.

The above-mentioned cities are about as anti-NBA as you can get. They're not havens for hip-hop culture like Detroit is. They're not big-city glamour destinations like Chicago or New York. They're not warm-weather cities. They're not places to see and be seen.

Any young star player who can indulge in all the trappings of the NBA star lifestyle will find nothing attractive about spending his winters playing in a smallish Midwestern burg where they roll the sidewalks up at 7 p.m. They don't have to settle for that, and they won't.

LBJ isn't a problem, he's a symptom. And I don't see how it's possible to build a long-term NBA winner in a city like Cleveland. You just can't keep the talent here. The days of being able to construct your contender around 20-something family-man guys -- like Mark Price and Brad Daugherty were back in the late '80s -- are long gone.

Most of the modern NBA players who value what Cleveland has to offer are over 30 and approaching their 100K checkup, so you don't want to build around them anyway.

I don't see the Cavs, Bucks, Pacers etc. being able to survive competitively in the modern NBA, at least for long stretches. We're just not NBA enough anymore.



First off, why are you dissing Kid Cudi?


But seriously, I think you are spot on. Just not enough money to go around as to what the Association wants. Great take that Bron-Bron is a symptom and not the problem. Spot on.

Our cities were good for old school arena ball, but not the Nike / World Wide Wessification of the Game.

BTW, you can add Denver, Sactown, Portland and Salt Lake City as well.

IOW, these idiots need to constrict the Association by about half or more and stay in the top 10 markets only + glamour weather cities. Make it about a 14 team league.


This is also what Lee was too blind to accept.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:01 pm

Sam Amico just tweeted that Mo strained his pussy, errrrrrr, his groin and won't be able to participate in full practices til mid-October.
GodHatesClevelandSport
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:48 am
Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:28 pm

jb wrote:IOW, these idiots need to constrict the Association by about half or more and stay in the top 10 markets only + glamour weather cities. Make it about a 14 team league.

That's half the league's ownership and players throwing away their meal tickes. Not gonna happen.

What I more expect is the owners revolting and demanding NFL-esque concessions: Franchise tags, hard caps, and no more guaranteed contracts. Considering how badly the players' association folded the last time around, they might get it too.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
User avatar
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist
 
Posts: 4656
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:06 am
Location: Parma, OH
Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby papacass » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:54 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
jb wrote:IOW, these idiots need to constrict the Association by about half or more and stay in the top 10 markets only + glamour weather cities. Make it about a 14 team league.

That's half the league's ownership and players throwing away their meal tickes. Not gonna happen.

What I more expect is the owners revolting and demanding NFL-esque concessions: Franchise tags, hard caps, and no more guaranteed contracts. Considering how badly the players' association folded the last time around, they might get it too.


Which is why you can expect the NBA's version of the '94 baseball strike forthcoming after this season. If nothing else makes the owners dig their heels in, this summer will.

With the Nuggets set to trade Melo simply because he wants out of Denver, that means three franchises -- Denver, Cleveland and Toronto -- will have lost their franchise players this summer. And CP3 may yet find a way to wriggle out of New Orleans.

Teams are losing their cornerstone players left and right. In a star-driven league, that's a heluva way to run a railroad.
User avatar
papacass
 
Posts: 2259
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:35 am
Location: Fairview Park, OH
Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:16 pm

Well, interest will be sky high in the 6 cities that actually have franchises in another ten years. ;-) ;) :wink:

I still think interest will probably wane in Cleveland, Denver and Toronto this year though. I'm still thinking way too parochially I guess.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22625
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:23 pm

Papa Cass is racist?, who knew?

<<<<<<<<<<<<TOTALLY JOKING AROUND >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby jb » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:11 am

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
jb wrote:IOW, these idiots need to constrict the Association by about half or more and stay in the top 10 markets only + glamour weather cities. Make it about a 14 team league.

That's half the league's ownership and players throwing away their meal tickes. Not gonna happen.

What I more expect is the owners revolting and demanding NFL-esque concessions: Franchise tags, hard caps, and no more guaranteed contracts. Considering how badly the players' association folded the last time around, they might get it too.



Realistically, you are 100% correct.

The irony is that the owners doid that last go-round and basiclly broke the players' will in no time flat. And this is the CBA thay got?

I hope they drive the players back into the pre-Andy messersmith era. The superstars are ruining or have ruined the game for the next 5 years.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:06 am

The Superstar driven league worked when it was in its infancy and you had the "right" star. Now the stars realize their growing power and...

Mo is supposed to set the record straight at media day today. How fun.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
User avatar
Orenthal
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: The Midd Heights
Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:12 am

I don't really see anything wrong with what Mo said. I'm not going to kill a guy for being honest, when I know 90% of the guys in the association would feel the same way if they just went from being a featured performer on one of the marquee teams and contending for a championship to, at best, fighting for the 8 seed and at worst having to play out a string of games before an inevitable trade back to BFE.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
User avatar
aoxo1
 
Posts: 2934
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:23 pm
Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:05 pm

I'm not gonna kill Mo. I considered not following the NBA anymore after all that bullshit that went down. When you're starving for a championship, and you have it so close within your grasp...to have it go away like that is devastating. Doesn't matter if you're a fan or a player. That type of thing really hurts, and makes you consider things you wouldn't otherwise consider.
StewieG
 
Posts: 4018
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby bac5665 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:10 pm

The problem is that the NBA is broken as far as 1/3 to 2/3 of the teams being able to compete regularly and yet they will make even more money than ever before from it because of all the hype.

Colin Cowheard (Gods I hate him some times) is right when he says the NBA has never been better than this coming season; it will be massively more popular. BUT it will attrophy and die in Cleveland, Minnesota, Indiana, Toronto, etc., where this summer proved categorically that those teams CANNOT win, even if everything goes right.

In the short term we're screwed. But in five years, when attendance is at record lows in these cities, half the owners will rebel, and things will have a chance of getting better. Right now, this lock out will not help us. Its the next one that will have a chance of fixing that game so that we can play.
User avatar
bac5665
 
Posts: 946
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:15 pm
Location: Columbus Ohio
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:51 pm

I don't know where else to put this, but it probably doesn't deserve it's own thread.

LBJ was at Dolphins v. Jets last night. He was sporting a Marlins hat. I know it's a litle thing and it doesn't matter, but it's another example what an A-Hole this guy is. In Cleveland, he wears a Yankees hat because he's a "big fan" even if it's going to antagonize his adoring fan base. Spend a few months in Miami and he's in a Marlin's hat. So much for big fan.

It's just another example of the fact that Lebron spent his entire tenure in Cleveland with one foot out the door. That more than any other reason is why we still don't have a championship.

We can bitch about being a have not in this league and things that need to be adressed in the CBA. And those things are legitimate.

But I still believe that if the superstar we had was all in, we probably have a championship by now, or would still be working toward one. So I don't agree when people say that teams like Cleveland CANNOT win. That doesn't make it easy, though.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7731
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:06 pm

bac5665 wrote:The problem is that the NBA is broken as far as 1/3 to 2/3 of the teams being able to compete regularly and yet they will make even more money than ever before from it because of all the hype.


Considering how much the Association makes on gate receipts, consider me Missouri on this.

Colin Cowheard (Gods I hate him some times) is right when he says the NBA has never been better than this coming season; it will be massively more popular. BUT it will attrophy and die in Cleveland, Minnesota, Indiana, Toronto, etc., where this summer proved categorically that those teams CANNOT win, even if everything goes right.


Which is why I doubt it will be that popular. Sure there'll be a hype bump. Finals ratings should be spectacular. But there's a lot of ledging fans who may have thought at one time 'why not us' that will now be finding better wastes of time and money come late winter and spring.

In the short term we're screwed. But in five years, when attendance is at record lows in these cities, half the owners will rebel, and things will have a chance of getting better. Right now, this lock out will not help us. Its the next one that will have a chance of fixing that game so that we can play.


The owners aren't that short-sighted. Gilbert, Cuban, and the Maloofs invested major capital in their franchises only to wind up perpetual bridesmaids. Throw in guys like Heisley and Taylor who may now be looking to Donald Sterling for advice and Bennett who's wondering how soon it'll be before he becomes the next sucker and there's no way the owners are coming out of the next lockout without major concessions.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
User avatar
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist
 
Posts: 4656
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:06 am
Location: Parma, OH
Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:14 pm

jb wrote:The irony is that the owners doid that last go-round and basiclly broke the players' will in no time flat. And this is the CBA thay got?


There was no real need to go balls to the wall throw away an entire season to truly dismantle the system. Pre-World Wide, the CBAs worked. It wasn't until the recession dropped the bottom out of the Association and the superstars stopped seeing each other as rivals and more as business partners that we got to where we are.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
User avatar
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist
 
Posts: 4656
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:06 am
Location: Parma, OH
Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:45 am

aoxo1 wrote:I don't really see anything wrong with what Mo said. I'm not going to kill a guy for being honest, when I know 90% of the guys in the association would feel the same way if they just went from being a featured performer on one of the marquee teams and contending for a championship to, at best, fighting for the 8 seed and at worst having to play out a string of games before an inevitable trade back to BFE.



+ 1

Thought exact same.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:46 am

bac5665 wrote:In the short term we're screwed. But in five years, when attendance is at record lows in these cities, half the owners will rebel, and things will have a chance of getting better.



Just like in MLB since about 2002.

What's that?

Shit.

nevermind.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby papacass » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:58 pm

jb wrote:
bac5665 wrote:In the short term we're screwed. But in five years, when attendance is at record lows in these cities, half the owners will rebel, and things will have a chance of getting better.



Just like in MLB since about 2002.

What's that?

Shit.

nevermind.


'02? How about 1995?

'02 was when the Indians started behaving like a small market team and drawing small market crowds. This crap's been going on in KC and Pittsburgh for upwards of 20 years.

What's going to happen to the Cavs this year is similar. We're going to be unceremoniously removed from our seven-year LBJ honeymoon and thrust back into the real world that faces just about all small-market Midwestern NBA teams: Dwindling crowds and apathy.

That will only increase when cold-weather small-market fan bases realize that any franchise-caliber player is almost certain to do a five-and-fly to a sexier destination, now that Bosh and Bron have set the precedent.
User avatar
papacass
 
Posts: 2259
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:35 am
Location: Fairview Park, OH
Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Re: Mo on LeQuitter Leaving

Unread postby bac5665 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:23 pm

jb wrote:
bac5665 wrote:In the short term we're screwed. But in five years, when attendance is at record lows in these cities, half the owners will rebel, and things will have a chance of getting better.



Just like in MLB since about 2002.

What's that?

Shit.

nevermind.


I said have a chance of getting better. It wont be my fault if the NBA decides to go for the MLB model of sucking=money for the owner in small markets.

And hell, I still hope that the MLB will get better too, though it may not happen till global warming causes NYC to flood and wipe out the Yankees. (I can dream)
User avatar
bac5665
 
Posts: 946
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:15 pm
Location: Columbus Ohio
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig


Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Who is online

In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests