Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Premier Week - New Shows

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Premier Week - New Shows

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:48 am

They almost all look awful (minus Boardwalk Empire). Outsourced may be the worst piece of television ever produced, and that's just seeing the previews.

-I watched the Hawaii 5-0 remake and it was somewhat entertaining, always liked Scott Caan and he was pretty funny in the pilot. Probably keep watching.

-Caught Terriers on FX. I was ambivalent on it after the pilot but recorded episode 2 and it sucked me in; good interplay between the 2 lead guys (P.I.'s, one of which was just kicked off the force) and not as predictable/cliche (though Donal Logue's wife did leave him because of drinking/being a cop) as other P.I./cop shows.

-Watched The Event and wasn't impressed though I'll probably give it a few more chances just like I did for FlashForward. Here's a synopsis. A guy's girlfriend vanishes on a cruise ship, shit happens that makes no sense (guessing it will later), and everyone talks about The Event. It's all out of order too, lots of flashbacks.

-I was intrigued by the Lone Star previews (Con-man with 2 separate lives, trying to go straight and deciding on which one to take) but didn't watch it because I just don't see how they can get more than a handful of episodes out of the premise.

Other than that, just waiting for Fringe, Community, The Office, Eastbound & Down, and Dexter. Already got good openings from Modern Family and How I Met Your Mother.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Re: Premier Week - New Shows

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:55 am

Boardwalk Empire is strong. It's not really fair to compare an HBO show to network, though.

I wasn't expecting much from The Event, and was somewhat pleasantly surprised. I'll definitely give it a few more episodes and can see myself sticking the whole season. I do like that otherworldly sci-fi type stuff. So far it looks WAY better than Flash Forward turned out to be IMO.

I like Terriers. Mostly because I like Logue, and I agree, he works well with the other guy.

I will not be watching Outsourced. Looks awful.

Running Wild didn't knock my socks off, but it wasn't bad. I enjoyed the pilot. Gob Bluth gets a long leash from me.

Does anyone know anything about Bored To Death? I ordered HBO yesterday so I could watch Boardwalk Empire adn saw previews. It looks pretty funny but I haven't ever heard a damn thing about tit.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:37 pm

I liked Chase, but it didn't get very good reviews and it will probably drop in ratings this week and wind up being canceled.

Boardwalk Empire was good.

I'll stick to shows I'm familiar with. Dexter, BBT, HIMYM, Rules of Engagement, and Bones.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby jb » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:58 pm

Anyone catch Detroit 187?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:15 pm

jb wrote:Anyone catch Detroit 187?

DVR. Didn't watch it yet.

truthfully, I don't know if I have enough time for yet another cop show, no matter how good it might be.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby aoxo1 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:21 pm

Bored to Death was decent its first year, although it is certainly not for everyone. Probably won't make you laugh out loud.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:04 pm

Just ordered HBO for Eastbound and Boardwalk Empire.

The only shows I watch regularly are Dexter & Californication. Other than that it's stupid adult cartoon reruns, sports and nature shows.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:32 pm

I wasn't expecting much from The Event, and was somewhat pleasantly surprised. I'll definitely give it a few more episodes and can see myself sticking the whole season. I do like that otherworldly sci-fi type stuff. So far it looks WAY better than Flash Forward turned out to be IMO.

I feel pretty much the same. Had heard terrible things about The Event but gave it a try anyway and it wasn't as bad as advertised. FlashForward was terrible the first 8-10 episodes but I kept with it and after the writer's strike it became more focused and better to the point where I was sad, though not surprised, that it was cancelled. Hopefully The Event won't have to wait that long.

As for Bored to Death. I watched the first few episodes but couldn't get into it, and I even like all the main players.

I've got Running Wilde on the DVR and have yet to watch it, but like MotherScrather, GOB Bluth gets a long leash from me as well.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:41 pm

How man shows are they gonna let Michael Imperioli have shit canned?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby mitch » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:41 pm

Wasn't horrible.

Chris-tah-fa was pretty decent as the mysterious good cop with weird ways of doing things.

A little stereotypical to start out, but it has a chance of growing on me.

For the rest of the new shows, I'm like many of you here.

The Event might have potential...I'll give it a few more episodes to see if it could be a new Lost/Fringe, or if it's going down like "V" or FlashForward.

Hawaii 5-0 looks to be fun. Wasn't sure I'd like the idea of Scott Caan as Dan-O, but it works. And Grace Park is flat out smokin'.

Might record the new Tom Selleck/Donnie "I ain't as good lookin' as my brother, so I do TV shows" Wahlberg cop series.

The rest look like crap. As usual (Boardwalk Empire aside, of course).
mitch

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Toothlessburger

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:23 pm

Did they cancel "V" or is it coming back? I hope to God that it's been cancelled because if it isn't I'll probably end up watching it. It's kind of like hitting yourself repeatedly in the nuts because you've somehow convinced yourself that the next time it will feel good.

I guess I could look it up myself but that would require at least 1-2 minutes of internet research.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:35 pm

Film it live and ratings go through the roof, guaranteed.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:50 pm

I've been watching the first season of Friday Night Lights on DVD and say thank you very much for that. Incredible show and sorry I missed it when first-run.

Can't imagine I'd be saying that about any of the new crop of shows. I usually end up watching the best shows later on DVD anyway, so I'm always behind. Except for 24 and portions of Lost. And The Shield. Was along for almost the whole ride on that one.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:03 pm

"V" is coming back. I think I heard in November? But I'm not sure on that. I actually enjoy that show. Love the premise. So far the execution has been off though. I did love the season finale.

Fringe comes back tonight. Pumped for that one. That show really found its groove after the winter break.

I'll echo what everyone else said about "The Event". I wasn't expecting a whole lot, but I'll give pretty much any of those types of shows a chance. I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't great, and all the jumping back and forth made it difficult to follow in places, but overall I thought it was worth another few episodes.

Undercovers was fun, but Chuck does what they do, only better. I'll sill watch though, since I'll give anything JJ Abrams does a few weeks.

Speaking of Chuck...love that show. GREAT character dynamic, good nerd humor, and the episodes almost never disappoint.

Castle's a guilty pleasure of mine. Love the dynamic between Castle and Beckett.

I'm close to giving up on House. Really disappointing opener after last season's amazing one.

Anyone watch Star Wars: Clone Wars? That show is really well done.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:12 pm

Yeah, I shouldn't be so hard on 'V'. It wasn't that bad. I still absolutely hate the son character, but at least they had the good sense to disappear the fat friend.

I'm excited for Fringe too. I have confidence that they won't screw that show up.

I forgot about Chuck. Love that show. Been with it from the beginning. Better savor it because I can't imagine that it will last past this season.

And Yvonne Strahovski. Good lord almighty Yvonne Strahovski.

House sucks. Worst premier ever.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:22 pm

Shit My Dad Says was relatively funny.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Doc » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:16 am

Can anyone sell me on getting HBO for Boardwalk and Kenny Powers? I'm in a Netflix True Blood/Dexter session now, but I love Eastbound and Down. Trying to determine if Boardwalk Empire is enough to spring for HBO. Thanks in advance.
Doc

Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Unread postby DarNoor » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:52 am

A lot of the new shows i have on DVR and i haven't watched them yet. I did watch The Office and Outsourcing this morning. Outsourcing is horrible. I made it thru 15 minutes before turning it off. And i was disappointed in The Office. I think this will be my last season watching it. I just want to see how they handle Michaels exit.
~D~
DarNoor

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:58 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

How man shows are they gonna let Michael Imperioli have shit canned?

How many fingers of Wild Turkey do you drink on a typical Friday night?

And regarding Eastbound and Out on HBO, I am convinced after watching Pineapple Express and some Eastbound episodes, Danny McGrath is the only human being on Earth that can make that character as funny and ridiculous as he is.

Other than that, I don't watch television. After Nip/Tuck's downworld spiral into crap and convoluted plot twists coupled with the cancellations of good shows like Journeyman, Life on Mars, and Starved, Ill stick with Cleveland Sports, Blue Jackets hockey, and the Travel Channel. That is all.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:07 am

Doc wrote:Can anyone sell me on getting HBO for Boardwalk and Kenny Powers? I'm in a Netflix True Blood/Dexter session now, but I love Eastbound and Down. Trying to determine if Boardwalk Empire is enough to spring for HBO. Thanks in advance.

Boardwalk Empire is going to be monumental. On the level of The Sopranos for HBO. Do yourself a favor and order ASAP. Kenny Powers is just the icing on the cake.

Watched Running Wilde yesterday. I had heard awful things about it but I laughed a lot and will stick with it.

Last night's Community was hilarious and can't wait to watch Fringe today.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby StewieG » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:19 pm

The Office was really disappointing. The bit about Dwight peeing in the elevator was pretty funny when I saw it 20 times in previews, but when they got to it in the episode, it had been played out. That show is really struggling creatively. Steve Carrell leaving may give the show the jolt in the arm it desperately needs. These characters have been somewhat played out.

I did enjoy Fringe. I'm very interested to see where they go with this storyline. Does Fauxlivia come around to our side after living in it? I think she does.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture