Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Top Chef: DC Thread

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Top Chef: DC Thread

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:28 am

Last night kicked off the DC season with new judge Eric Ripert and I was very unimpressed with this year's cast of characters. There was nobody who jumped off the page as being somebody you could really like. Unlike last year where the brothers, Jennifer, and Kevin were pretty well-liked early on.

Several people that I can't stand already. It doesn't seem like a very strong field this year either. Kenny and Angelo were far and away better than everybody else with the first quickfire and elimination challenges.

I'm expecting a pretty lackluster season.

Anybody even still watching this show?
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Top Chef: DC Thread

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:45 am

I dvr'd it, will be watching later. Comment later. Last season is going to be tough to top though. Isnt there a few Cleveland people in this one?
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:15 am

Ziner wrote:I dvr'd it, will be watching later. Comment later. Last season is going to be tough to top though. Isnt there a few Cleveland people in this one?

Originally from here, yeah. No longer living in the area. They had to make a dish that represents where they're from and the one guy did one from Colorado, where he lives now.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:38 am

skatingtripods wrote:
Ziner wrote:I dvr'd it, will be watching later. Comment later. Last season is going to be tough to top though. Isnt there a few Cleveland people in this one?

Originally from here, yeah. No longer living in the area. They had to make a dish that represents where they're from and the one guy did one from Colorado, where he lives now.

Stephen is also from (Cleveland) Ohio and used that as his inspiration. Kenny was from Euclid but did the Colorado theme. Also the hippie-chef with dreadlocks (John) that says he's from Detroit is from Ohio; he just went to U. of Michigan.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:54 pm

The fat guy is gonna win.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:08 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:The fat guy is gonna win.

Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:45 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Last night kicked off the DC season with new judge Eric Ripert and I was very unimpressed with this year's cast of characters. There was nobody who jumped off the page as being somebody you could really like. Unlike last year where the brothers, Jennifer, and Kevin were pretty well-liked early on.

Several people that I can't stand already. It doesn't seem like a very strong field this year either. Kenny and Angelo were far and away better than everybody else with the first quickfire and elimination challenges.

I'm expecting a pretty lackluster season.

Anybody even still watching this show?

Watched it and was disappointed as well. Might need a couple of episodes to build up the rivalries and get some background info on the chefs.

Padma's assets were the highlight.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:49 pm

mattvan1 wrote:Padma's assets were the highlight.

When aren't they?

Any hot chicks this year? If not regular hot, how about least cooking hot like Jennifer from last year?
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby jack_tors » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:26 pm

Ziner wrote:

When aren't they?

Any hot chicks this year? If not regular hot, how about least cooking hot like Jennifer from last year?

There is one decent looking chick but she is a 9 iron, good from about 90 yards away..

For those who havent watched, dont want to ruin it but the guy who won the first challenge should be beaten severely with a meat cleaver. One of the most annoying chefs I can remember on this show. And judging by the clips of the upcoming season, he is going to be this year's douche.

Seems like this show is becoming as much about the drama as the cooking which turns me off. Give me Top Chef Masters any day.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:04 pm

Ziner wrote:

When aren't they?

I'm still fond of Casey Thompson

she's got a little party animal in her
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:31 am

Good call Larvell, at worst TV chef hot. Nice melons too... wrapped with prosciutto of course...
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:24 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:she's got a little party animal in her

Never realized she's so horny :hide:
mattvan1

Unread postby jack_tors » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:02 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:
Ziner wrote:

When aren't they?

I'm still fond of Casey Thompson

she's got a little party animal in her

+1

I always thought she was hot but goddamn, she is smoking right there.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:45 pm

Anybody even still watching this season?
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Squints » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:17 pm

Yeah, I'm still watching. I started the season, I'll finish it out. I don't like the direction this season (maybe even the show?) is going, making it personal, trying to get out the tougher competition Survivor-style. Last weeks episode was the worst one I have seen, this is my third full season watching it.

I understand the whole "Producers have to get the ratings", but this one reality show seemed immune to the typical competition-style reality, which made it enjoyable, until now.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:24 pm

Squints wrote:Yeah, I'm still watching. I started the season, I'll finish it out. I don't like the direction this season (maybe even the show?) is going, making it personal, trying to get out the tougher competition Survivor-style. Last weeks episode was the worst one I have seen, this is my third full season watching it.

I understand the whole "Producers have to get the ratings", but this one reality show seemed immune to the typical competition-style reality, which made it enjoyable, until now.

Agreed 100%. Maybe they just simply didn't have the talent apply this season. I've seen Kelly Liken on Iron Chef before. She may be the best chef there, but her personality leaves a lot to be desired.

They've had good groups of chefs every other season, so I really hope next season is better.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:21 pm

Finished reading Bourdain's newest, "Medium Raw". He goes out of his way to ackowledge that Colicchio is a stand up guy who takes his task very seriously and will never bow to the pressure of the producers. He is only interested in who is the worst chef on that day. Sometimes these deliberations take hours before a decision.

It is a shame when the best, most interesting chef-contest on television must contrive to introduce drama. It probably doesn't help that Food Netwok has blatantly ripped off every great idea Bravo has introduced, and the "fucking donkey" Gordon Ramsey gains viewership on Fox by lying about placing short order cooks from Dennys into showcase new restaurants.

I'll always stick with Top Chef as long as it stays true to form. I am afraid, however, that it's in the process of jumping the shark.
mattvan1

Unread postby Ziner » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:06 am

This season is boring, but I still watch. Can't root for Angelo, but he clearly seems like the best cook. Didnt do a very good job of getting interesting personalities this season

Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:01 pm

Ziner wrote:This season is boring, but I still watch. Can't root for Angelo, but he clearly seems like the best cook. Didnt do a very good job of getting interesting personalities this season

Angelo and Kenny seem to be the favorites and the most experienced at blending flavors that make sense. Tiffany and Kelly could be dark horses but Kelly looks primed to implode down the stretch like Jen did last year. Can't believe it took this long for Stephen to get booted and can't believe Alex is still there. He should be the next one gone regardless of how well he cooks next challenge.

Side note: I haven't been watching the whole series (this is my 3rd season) but is Tiffany the first chef to win immunity and then also win the challenge? Seems most times that if you get immunity you just fuck around for the challenge.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:20 am

^^ quite a few contestants have won both. Huang did it and Stephan in Season 6? I believe did it 3 times. How he lost that season is beyond me.

Watching this year but not glued to it. Angelo seems like the best but is he stuck in the one note category. That being he's only cooked within the Asian influence this season. He's similar to Ilan, who cooked Spanish style all through his season. Still waiting for Kenny to really wow the judges. It seems like he's right there but the judges seem to be holding him, as well as Angelo, to a higher standard.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:36 pm

Well the Beast is gone. Probably the best all-around cook but chose the wrong challenge to have his worst day. Liked him the whole show but just couldn't stand his bitching and crying about the other team hiding Alex's deficiencies. You lost, take it like a man. Might be one-trick pony Angelo's to lose now and minus Alex, Amanda, and Kevin, everyone else has a shot.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:45 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:Well the Beast is gone. Probably the best all-around cook but chose the wrong challenge to have his worst day. Liked him the whole show but just couldn't stand his bitching and crying about the other team hiding Alex's deficiencies. You lost, take it like a man. Might be one-trick pony Angelo's to lose now and minus Alex, Amanda, and Kevin, everyone else has a shot.

Was shocked to see Kenny go home but when you put far too many ingredients in a salad that's gonna hurt you. I really expected them to call Alex back out and find out the deal. Unfortunatley Angelo and Ed made sure they said Alex conseptalized the dish when in truth Alex couldn't butcher the lamb to Alex's expectations.

Kevin has come on these past few weeks so I wouldn't count him out just yet. Maybe he'll now have a chip on his shoulder and deliver a win for his long gone bud, Kenny. (spills out some Ole E)
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:25 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:
rebelwithoutaclue wrote:Well the Beast is gone. Probably the best all-around cook but chose the wrong challenge to have his worst day. Liked him the whole show but just couldn't stand his bitching and crying about the other team hiding Alex's deficiencies. You lost, take it like a man. Might be one-trick pony Angelo's to lose now and minus Alex, Amanda, and Kevin, everyone else has a shot.

Was shocked to see Kenny go home but when you put far too many ingredients in a salad that's gonna hurt you. I really expected them to call Alex back out and find out the deal. Unfortunatley Angelo and Ed made sure they said Alex conseptalized the dish when in truth Alex couldn't butcher the lamb to Alex's expectations.

Kevin has come on these past few weeks so I wouldn't count him out just yet. Maybe he'll now have a chip on his shoulder and deliver a win for his long gone bud, Kenny. (spills out some Ole E)

Can't wait for the cooking with malt liquor challenge. Kevin has definitely been better the last few weeks but I don't know if it's because he's cooking better or everyone else is cooking worse, thus making him look better. Ed seems to be coming on strong at the right time, and is another chef with the right pedigree to possibly win.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:00 am

I've been pretty turned off to the series by this season. This week was a pretty telling example of where the show is going. The only reason the red team won is because Angelo and Ed were responsible for, what, 6 of the 8 components of the meal? I know that's the way that it can work, but to hide a team member because he can't cook is extremely telling. I think the whole elimination process of restaurant wars needed to be re-evaluated from that.

Kenny has gone downhill since the start. But, to get rid of a decent chef in exchange for an incompetent, clumsy, personality-less character like Alex makes no sense. It speaks to what the show has become this season.

Luckily, every other season is good, so the next season should be the quality of the Voltaggio brothers, Kevin, and Jennifer.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Squints » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:39 pm

Obviously for last season, but TC won the emmy last night for competition-reality show, in a bit of an upset/surprise.

Good to see that Amanda chick gone. In the three seasons of watching this show, she has been the worst chef, she effed up mac & cheese!!, to make it that far in the show.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:49 pm

So Kelly goes home and it leaves Ed, Angelo, and Kevin to battle for Top Chef champion.

Given that Ed won both challenges in the last episode, he'll have to royally f up to lose this thing. Haven't been a fan of him all year. I really hope next season is much better.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:42 am

I was waiting for Angelo to let the waterworks flow before they mentioned who go to PTKAG! Guy thinks he has the upper hand because he cooks Asian daily. It was good to see Ed beat him in both challenges. Angelo made a huge mistake with trying to make his soup bold by leaving it too salty. I thought that would get him run but apparently his lamb tartar pulled his fat out of the fire.

Although he sucked in the quickfire, it seems the judged really like Kevin's dishes in the challenge. When texture is the only real critique, you've made a solid dish despite limited knowledge.

Someone needs to let Dana Cowin know that low cut dresses don't look good on skeleton's. Padma would have done that some justice.

Next week looks interesting w/ Angelo sick. Wonder if Huang will create his dishes for him while Ang takes credit. Looks like Mike V and Kevin will be duking it out in the kitchen too.
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:12 pm

I have never been less fired up for a season finale than I am tonight. This entire cast goes down as one large group of forgettable chefs.

Mild interest - Angelo doesn't win and then doesn't have enough money to get his mail order bride out of Russia.

ETA - Actual real interest to see how former winners, especially Voltaggio, work with one of the less talented finalists from this year. Hopefully, someone gets stabbed with a paring knife
mattvan1

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:41 am

I hate the way they filmed/edited the finale. We barely saw any of the actual cooking. I've never been so bored by a TC episode.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:53 am

One big ass FEH. Who were all those mystery dinners? David Chang, possibly the most influential new chefs today, gets mere mention. Sous chefs, especially Hung and Voltaggio ignored. Waaaay too much footage spent on Angelo’s illness, trying to build drama. As if the producers would not change the final to another day to accommodate someone who was seriously ill. The whole thing felt rushed in order to get to the new pastry show debut.

The best cooking/reality show on TV has officially jumped the shark.
mattvan1

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:19 pm

It definitely wasn't a good episode, or a good season, but I'm glad Kevin won. I liked him all along and Angelo and Ed were just arrogant douches.

They usually have a great season followed by a mediocre/shitty one, so hopefully next year it gets better.

And I won't watch a single episode of the desserts one.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:33 pm

I was hoping they'd pick Angelo, that way Hung can claim to be a two-time Top Chef. What a beast.
metalhead9x9

Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:42 am

metalhead9x9 wrote:I was hoping they'd pick Angelo, that way Hung can claim to be a two-time Top Chef. What a beast.

Whoever won was working with a previous winner so whichever "sous chef" that worked with the winning chef could make that claim.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:04 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:

Dude you're in luck. She's back for the All-Stars season. Jennifer will be back for another season, it will probably take me another season to figure out if she is good looking or not.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture