Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Great American Beer Festival

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Great American Beer Festival

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:23 pm

I have been looking forward to this since I moved here. Checked the website today and tickets went on sale June 1st. I know there are a ton of microbrew lovers on here, I have heard this is Mecca. My friend went last year and refered to it as a 4.5 hour power hour. Let me know if any of you come out.

http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Great American Beer Festival

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:38 pm

Assuming they're both going to be there, you need to check out Pagosa Brewing (specifically the Poor Richards ale and Soaker's Stout) and New Belgium Brewing (specifically Fat Tire Amber Ale). I love all 3 beers (though I am more of a dark beer drinker...if you like light beers, Pagosa's Powder Day IPA and New Belgium's Summertime Wheat are supposed to be very good also).
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby mswerb » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:32 pm

Fat Tire is easily one of my favorites, unfortunatley no distributors carry it in Ohio. Dammit!
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:54 pm

Honestly out here Fat Tire isnt even that big. There are so many breweries out here that I have never ordered or bought a Fat Tire here because there is just so many out there to try still. I don't dislike it, but not my favorite. I have had some of the other New Belgium brews, plan to go to Fort Collins for a few tours including theirs. Right now Dale's Pale Ale is holding my award of best beer west of the Mississippi. Damn good pale ale in a can, very similar to burning river
Last edited by Ziner on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:03 pm

Speaking of Fat Tire, don't forget to check out the "Tour de Fat", Ziner. http://www.newbelgium.com/tour-de-fat
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:14 pm

exiledbuckeye wrote:Speaking of Fat Tire, don't forget to check out the "Tour de Fat", Ziner. http://www.newbelgium.com/tour-de-fat

Looks awesome, maybe i should go in Denver and Ft. Collins
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:20 am

I lived out West for four years and while I do like Fat Tire, IMO most of what Great Lakes has to offer is better than Fat Tire.

The best microbrew I've ever been to, though, was Barley Brothers in Lake Havasu City, AZ. I lived there for two years and was incredibly lucky to have that beer available whenever I wanted it.

I miss that city and would move back in a heartbeat if an opportunity presented itself. Anyway, if you ever end up in LHC, the Beachball Red and Tripleberry Wheat were my favorites.

The Beachball is possibly the finest amber I've ever had, and the Tripleberry puts Blue Moon, Sunset Wheat and Sam Adams White Ale all to shame. (And I LOVE All three of those beers)
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:06 pm

I am going on Saturday. 2,100 different types of beers. 495 different breweries, and my first taste of GLBC in a few months. Sure hope they bring Burning River and Commodore Perry with them. Below is a link to all the breweries there, probably most of the breweries we have discussed in the past will be there. Help me assemble a "must try" list. However if I keep a 7.77 samples per minute pace I can hit them all....sounds like a challenge

:cheers:

http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.co ... yIndex.pdf
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby aoxo1 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:30 pm

Fat Tire is exceptionally mediocre. Astounding to me that it has become so popular nationwide over many, many better beers.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:06 am

aoxo, you should know by now the rules w/ micro brews are just like those associated w/ Indy flicks.

Once a name picks up steam everyone has to get a piece to hang on w/ the cool kids.....
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:57 am

You guys with your tree bark ales..... I'll never get it.

"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:00 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:You guys with your tree bark ales..... I'll never get it.

Hey, at least these are Merkin beers for the most part. Not some galdang hops and crap from das mater lund.

We're watching you CDT. You start ethnically cleansing neighborhoods down in C'Bus and that clinches it pal.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:06 am

Peeker643 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:You guys with your tree bark ales..... I'll never get it.

Hey, at least these are Merkin beers for the most part. Not some galdang hops and crap from das mater lund.

We're watching you CDT. You start ethnically cleansing neighborhoods down in C'Bus and that clinches it pal.

:lmfao: That's one of the funniest goddamn things i've read in along time.

I got love for the Red, White, and Blue. I just think the Germans make the best German beer. I don't turn my nose up at Bud or Coors Light. Those ales on the otherhand, those taste like the forrest. I bet there's parts of squirrels and dead leaves in there.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:05 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:aoxo, you should know by now the rules w/ micro brews are just like those associated w/ Indy flicks.

Once a name picks up steam everyone has to get a piece to hang on w/ the cool kids.....

Thought this was applicable, found this today.

http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2009/09/p ... _sort.html

Ad Age’s answer to a fascinating question (Why do people favor crap beer PBR over other crap beers?) is no surprise: “Back in 2004, Pabst executed a highly effective word-of-mouth campaign that made the long-declining brand an ‘ironic downscale chic’ choice for bike messengers and other younger drinkers who viewed the beer as a statement of non-mainstream taste.” Hipsters boosted PBR sales by 17 percent that year, and sales are up a good 24 percent this year, more than other “subpremium” beers that have spent more advertising dollars trying to appeal to recession slummers. But here’s the joke: PBR raised its prices this year, and a case of the truckers’ piss now costs as much as $1.50 more than brands like Keystone, Natty Light, and High Life. Which means the folks who used to feel punk-rock chugging the cheap stuff now have to face the fact that they’re paying to buy into the hype. Not very cool.

Probably why it is so popular here in Denver and Boulder.... freakin hippies
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:31 pm

Z, did you check out the Tour de Fat? I heard it was a freakshow... people dressed up in costumes, etc.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:46 pm

exiledbuckeye wrote:Z, did you check out the Tour de Fat? I heard it was a freakshow... people dressed up in costumes, etc.

My dad was in town that weekend and we were goign to go up to Fort Collins to hit up a few breweries, then I realized it was the tour de fat and decided to stay away. My dad doesnt like crowds or hippies figured it was a bad place to take him.

I should have gone to the Denver one, but we had something going on that weekend I knew I couldnt make it.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:00 pm

Yeah I first noticed the PBR comeback at hipster spots in NYC back in 2006. It was absolutely pushed to be in again.

That said, of all the cheap beers out there, PBR rules supreme in flavor.

Not that that had anything to do w/ it taking over the hipster scene from 05-07.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Ziner » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:49 pm

So I went last night. My god, it is everything it is cracked up to be. Every beer lover should try to get to this event. My only disappointment was that Great Lakes didnt bring Dortmunder, Burning River, or Xmas ale. Dont worry, I tried to drink my weight in Commodore Perry. Had a ton of fantastic beers last night.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby dmiles » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:50 pm

JB, do you see PizzaPort in Carlsbad (my new hometown) took Large Brewpub and Large Brewpub Brewer of the Year.

I assume that's quite an honor.... What do you recommend? I've been to the Solana Beach Pizza Port because it used to be closer but this location seems to be the one to go to.

http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/medals/medalists.aspx
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:17 pm

Bump

Anyone interested? http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/index.htm

You can get a flight for around 200 from CAK to Denver on Frontier. I highly recommend it.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:18 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Yeah I first noticed the PBR comeback at hipster spots in NYC back in 2006. It was absolutely pushed to be in again.

That said, of all the cheap beers out there, PBR rules supreme in flavor.

Not that that had anything to do w/ it taking over the hipster scene from 05-07.

1. Strohs
2. Schlitz
3. Genny
4. PBR

all are sleepers.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:52 pm

Going on Saturday again, have friends flying in from Philly, Cleveland and Raleigh to attend with me. Going to be a long weekend of boozing fabulous beers. Be jealous, be very jealous. Some of you bastards need to make the trip for this eventually.

Anyway, give me suggestions for beers that I have not had before that are kick ass. Since you don't know what beers I have had before assume that if it is widely distributed or a microbrew from Colorado, Chicago, or Cleveland I have had it.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:34 pm

Ziner wrote:Going on Saturday again, have friends flying in from Philly, Cleveland and Raleigh to attend with me. Going to be a long weekend of boozing fabulous beers. Be jealous, be very jealous. Some of you bastards need to make the trip for this eventually.

Anyway, give me suggestions for beers that I have not had before that are kick ass. Since you don't know what beers I have had before assume that if it is widely distributed or a microbrew from Colorado, Chicago, or Cleveland I have had it.

Yay me, 400th post. I don't know whats more pathetic: That I only have 400 posts or that I've drank quite a lot more # of different beers than that post total.....

Anyways, some great breweries and my favorite beer(s) from them:

Russian River: Cali - Pliny the Elder, Pliny the Younger
North Coast: Cali - Old Stock, Old Rasputin, Schrimshaw Pils, Pranqster Belgian PA
Southern Tier: New York - Choklat, Backburner, Harvest, Oat, pretty much anything
Stoudts: Pennsylvania - DIPA, Oktoberfest, Fatdog Imperial Outmeal, Pils, Helles Lager
Bells: Michigan - 25 anniversary, Hopslam, Expadition Stout, Poolside Hefe
Founders: Michigan - Anything, LOOK FOR KENTUCKY BREAKFAST STOUT LABELED KBS
Dark Horse: Michigan - Double Crooked Tree IPA, Sapient Tripel, Perkulator Dopplebock
Allagash: Maine - Some of the best belgian styles anywhere. Their Tripel Reserve is out of this world.
Alesmith: Cali - Speedway Stout, IPA, Grand Cru
Deschutes: Oregon
Cigar City: Florida
Port Brewing/Pizza Port: Chain
The Bruary: Cali
The Lost Abbey: Cali
Green Flash: Cali
Shorts Brewing: Michigan
Surly: Minnesota
Ballast Point: Cali
Harpoon: Vermont
Long Trail: Vermont
Voodoo Brewing: Pennsylvania
Hook and Ladder: Maryland
COAST brewing: South Carolina
Jolly Pumpkin: Michigan
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:47 pm

Nice, thanks. I have only had one of those beers so nice work.

Can you believe me, Mr. IPA, thinks Pliny the Elder is overrated? I saw it on Beer Advocate as the number two beer and had to hunt it down. Searched high and low at the liquor stores, called around, finally found a bar to have it only to show up and have it be sold out. It was the Unicorn of IPA's. Finally one day I made it back to that bar only to have it disappoint. Perhaps it was because I was expecting so much, but frankly Odell's is much better. Pliny wasn't bad, just not deserving of the number two slot IMO.

I see that Breakfast stout is number 5 on the list, I'll see what I can do. Typically by Saturday much of the REALLY popular stuff is gone so perhaps the Breakfast Stout will be, however I am sure I will make due with the other 1800 that don't sell out.

http://beeradvocate.com/lists/top
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:05 pm

Ziner wrote:Nice, thanks. I have only had one of those beers so nice work.

Can you believe me, Mr. IPA, thinks Pliny the Elder is overrated? I saw it on Beer Advocate as the number two beer and had to hunt it down. Searched high and low at the liquor stores, called around, finally found a bar to have it only to show up and have it be sold out. It was the Unicorn of IPA's. Finally one day I made it back to that bar only to have it disappoint. Perhaps it was because I was expecting so much, but frankly Odell's is much better. Pliny wasn't bad, just not deserving of the number two slot IMO.

I see that Breakfast stout is number 5 on the list, I'll see what I can do. Typically by Saturday much of the REALLY popular stuff is gone so perhaps the Breakfast Stout will be, however I am sure I will make due with the other 1800 that don't sell out.

http://beeradvocate.com/lists/top

KBS from Founder's is only released on one day each year so its very hard to get. I was considering making the drive up to Grand Rapids to pick up cases, but I ended up being busy so no dice. Luckily, the store in Mentor I go to always has rare stuff set aside for special customers. Right when KBS came out, I asked if they had Founder's Nemesis (barleywine) and she said no. She then walks over to the "special" closet and raises up a 4 pack. I see those big KBS letters staring me in the face and end up buying 2 4 packs for a whopping total of $52. Worth........every..........penny.

A few other Stout's to find/try: Goose Island Bourbon County, Ten Fidy (in cans no less!!!), Dark Lord, especially if you can get your hands on vintage bottles older than 2009. FYI - I'm in the same boat as far as Pliny. Its great don't get me wrong, but I don't think its balanced enough to be at the top of the list of American IPA/DIPAs. Dogfish 90 minute/Burton Baton or Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye are at the top of my list.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:33 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:
A few other Stout's to find/try: Goose Island Bourbon County, Ten Fidy (in cans no less!!!)

Oskar Blues rules, it is about 45 minutes from me. I need to make a point to stop at their brewery soon. From what I understand they are one of the leaders in the can movement. I have had quite a few of their beers and I have yet noticed a problem or taste different from their beer in a can vs their beer from draft. I think more companies should start embracing the can. I dont know why I havent tried their GUBNA's yet, it is their imperial IPA. I think it is partially because it is 10% and I dont like drinking things that strong unless I am only having a few... and lets face it, I rarely have just a few. Dale's is really good though, it was my favorite when I moved out here until I realized that for some reason it gives me a wicked headache after so I have been avoiding it (and no it isnt the can, i get it from their draft as well).

I need to give ten fidy a try here shortly too. The liquor store near me has 6 packs you can mkae yourself for 7.99 or 9.99 depending on the beers, they usually have GUBNA's and Ten Fidy in the 9.99 pack, I always see new ones in the 7.99 section I usually just stick with those.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:57 pm

For the F-ing Win my friend. I had Oskar only once - on a trip to Bonnaroo Music Festival in Tennessee in 2007. Stopped at some place in Murfreesboro and figured what the hell. Very good stuff, wish they shipped to Ohio. Man I feel like an ass. I forgot one of the best breweries on the west coast, Rogue/Brewer's on the bay. Try anything from them. Oregon seriously might have the best breweries per capita in the United States (I think that title has to go to Maine).
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:20 pm

How is it you have never made your way out for this thing with as much as you like and appreciate so many microbrews?
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:44 pm

Ziner wrote:How is it you have never made your way out for this thing with as much as you like and appreciate so many microbrews?

Sad really, I'm 27 now and have wasted most of my 20's being a lazy workaholic. That and I don't have a ton of friends outside of my brother who really appreciate beer. You've set a flame in side me Ziner. As long as my wedding next year (no set date yet) doesn't coincide with the Fest, I am going to do all I can to get my older bro, pops, and myself to this thing next September.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:04 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:For the F-ing Win my friend. I had Oskar only once - on a trip to Bonnaroo Music Festival in Tennessee in 2007. Stopped at some place in Murfreesboro and figured what the hell. Very good stuff, wish they shipped to Ohio. Man I feel like an ass. I forgot one of the best breweries on the west coast, Rogue/Brewer's on the bay. Try anything from them. Oregon seriously might have the best breweries per capita in the United States (I think that title has to go to Maine).

Rogue makes the Dead Man, yes?

Just brewed 5 gallons of Big Honking Stout last night with the neighbor. Fermenting for the next few weeks and should be potable in about 6-7 weeks.

Malty goodness.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:15 pm

I'm gonna have my own beer ftestival and you're all invited.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:16 pm

peeker643 wrote:Rogue makes the Dead Man, yes?

Just brewed 5 gallons of Big Honking Stout last night with the neighbor. Fermenting for the next few weeks and should be potable in about 6-7 weeks.

Malty goodness.

Yep, Rogue Dead Guy Ale. Ironically, its brewed as a Maibock but uses a yeast specifically cultivated by Rogue called Pacman. If you like Rogue, try their Morimoto Imperial Pilsner (expensive but great) or Hazelnut Brown Nectar. I was lucky enough to try a bottle of their XS Imperial Porter and wow, that beer is huge.

Any chance I could procure some beer from you guys or do you only have it for private consumption? I've been reading/learning about brewing beer for a while but my condo is not the best setting for brewing beer (live with the girlfriend, 2 dogs and 2 cats, flucuating temperatures). Believe me, when I move into a house and build a pole barn, my life of a brewer begins. That and fishing will be my life, aside from my lovely girlfriend and probable children down the road. Here's praying she never reads this blog! (or she does and gets lured to the dark side)
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:28 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:Any chance I could procure some beer from you guys or do you only have it for private consumption? I've been reading/learning about brewing beer for a while but my condo is not the best setting for brewing beer (live with the girlfriend, 2 dogs and 2 cats, flucuating temperatures).

Dude, if this stuff comes out okay you can absolutely have a couple 22oz bottles (which I'll need back ;-) ;) :wink: ). As we make more and more stuff (a Belgian is next) you're also welcome to a bottle or two of that.

I'll keep ya posted. :thumb up:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:19 pm

Ziner wrote:How is it you have never made your way out for this thing with as much as you like and appreciate so many microbrews?

Sad really, I'm 27 now and have wasted most of my 20's being a lazy workaholic. That and I don't have a ton of friends outside of my brother who really appreciate beer. You've set a flame in side me Ziner. As long as my wedding next year (no set date yet) doesn't coincide with the Fest, I am going to do all I can to get my older bro, pops, and myself to this thing next September.

Or plan your wedding after it and do the best bachelors party ever. We will have to get together if you go.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:28 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I'm gonna have my own beer ftestival and you're all invited.

Sounds good, I am only coming if there are Ale's though
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:11 am

Ziner wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I'm gonna have my own beer ftestival and you're all invited.

Bring a battle axe.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:41 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Ziner wrote:

Bring a battle axe.

I never leave home without one.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:25 am

Ziner, the weekend is over and you must be back by now (hopefully). Give us the 4-1-1!!!!
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:58 am

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:Ziner, the weekend is over and you must be back by now (hopefully). Give us the 4-1-1!!!!

Haha, I am up, just overloaded at work. Will give the lowdown tonight if I get a few. I will say it seems to just keep growing and getting better. Everyone should do what they can to get to it.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:27 pm

If you made it home on Monday in one piece, let alone were at work, how good could it have been?

Sota like remebering the 60's.

Anyway, we need details when you can.
jb

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:41 am

Whew, long week. Finally getting time to sit down and give the lowdown. So essentially it is still the greatest place on earth. You would think drinking with 12,000-15,000 people would be just excessive, obnoxious, and overly crowded. It is just a bit of each of those, but in a good way. I did learn one thing this year. I am not going with a group of more than 6. It is too difficult to keep a group together (we had 12-16 at certain points). It becomes slightly more stressful than needed to try to keep that many together. So if you go, pick out 3-4 friends and develop a plan. The booths are setup in rows so it is easy to walk along and just diverge off to get a sample of anything interesting you see, but when people start walking all over a half million sq ft convention floor to find a paticular brewery it gets hectic. Only complaint, they really need more bathrooms, badly. You have to plan ahead and go with a friend so you can rotate holding hte spot in line so you can get a new sample as you wait. Alright, on to the beer.

The reason I wasnt in bad shape JB, is because I stumbled upon a novel concept. About every hour I would chug about 2-3 cups (small cups like 3 oz) of water. The miraculous result was that I got real drunk, but not sloppy, not stupid, and I actually remember the entire thing.

So as you might have heard GLBC got blanked on the awards, they were none too happy either. They threw down on a prime end booth with solid signage, but still blanked. We spent a fair amount of time here as I haven't had any GLBC since xmas and the fact that since they liked us they actually filled our cups up over the 1 oz max that was supposed to be allowed. I was really pumped when I learned that they brought xmas ale to enter in the judging and of course they ran out the night before we went. So I had to settle for Edmund Fitz and Comm. Perry. Both two of my favorites. Perhaps if they want to win they will bring Dortmunder and Burning River next year. Not sure why they bring Glockenspiel and that crap.

From RNE's recommendations, it was a little tough to remember all of what I had and didnt had and the name of all the places I tried. I will say I found a new great brewery. Unita out of SLC of all places. http://www.uintabrewing.com/UintaBeerHome.aspx Everything I had was awesome, got that tip while chatting with some of the boozed up friends we met.

Russian River: Cali - went to the booth, of course they were out of the Elder, didnt bring the younger. Very popular booth I stayed away, there are way too many places to bother waiting in line

Bells: Michigan - Can you believe I forgot to hunt them down, it gets so tough to remember everything you want to try, I have not had a lot of Bells and I really wanted to give it a try.
Founders: Michigan - Had founders, very good. No KBS though, of course they would out

if you really want to try everything don't go on Saturday. I just find it easier, but the real popular stuff gets drank up. Next year I might do Thursday though next year to get my hands on everything. Oh and if you want to be a real stud when you go hit up the double session and go Saturday noon to 430 and 530 and 10, saw more than one person doing this (they had special glasses. You have to be a member of the Brewers Association if you want to go to the earlier session.

Port Brewing/Pizza Port: You know I have heard so much about this and didnt really love it, it was ok, IPA wasnt the best, had a few others and wasnt blown away.
The Bruary: Cali

Deschutes - Completely sold out of all beers by 8 pm, very disappointing and a waste of a prime booth

Voodoo Brewing: Good stuff, good recommendation.

You know it is tough to remember in paticular if I had some of the others. I did my best but once you go you will understand.

Other breweries I really enjoyed (I enjoyed them all dont worry, just really enjoyed some and remember fewer ;-) ;) :wink: )

Stevens Point (Wisconsin)
Ska (Durango, CO)
Firestone Walker (Cali)
Unita (SLC) - already mentioned

Thats all I got for now.

Just do yourself a favor and get there, you will not be disappointed.

Does anyone enjoy sour beer? Ugh.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:25 am

Good to have you back Ziner and glad to see you stayed out of CDT territory and kept your wits about you for 3 days in that environment. Sorry to hear you couldn't get your hands on some of those beers. If you aren't already, I would suggest becoming a member over at BeerAdvocate.com. Its free, and IMO, the best site out there in terms of beer forums. People are always willing to trade and its possible to get your hands on some VERY rare beer at the right price.

As for GLBC, sucks they got blanked but they really need to consider expanding their brewery and possibly bottling other selections. Lake Erie Monster was a great start, but some of their pub exclusives are so much better than their normal selections. I don't understand why they don't take a chance and distribute something like Rackhouse, Blackout (or a brand new stout/imp stout), Instigator, or Rye of the Tiger all year round. Glockenspeil I actually like because I love Weizenbocks, but to NOT bring Dortmunder (their best seller) is quite silly. Oh well, I still love em but am excited to check out the new brewery across the street. No idea when it opens.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:26 am

Just an FYI of the beers they brought that got blanked Blackout and Rye of the Tiger were two of them, I was blanking last night.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:53 am

Ziner wrote:Just an FYI of the beers they brought that got blanked Blackout and Rye of the Tiger were two of them, I was blanking last night.

That is really really surprising considering Blackout has a pretty good reputation outside of Ohio. Tiger is damn good and IMO is easily one of the best pure rye beers out there. Curious as to what beat them out. My guess is that Blackout was rated lower than Goose Island Bourbon County, Nightstalker, KBS, Dark Lord, and Cigar Hinapu(sp?).
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby jb » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:56 am

Not surprised GLBC went ofer. They have really slipped, other than Monster. And Glockenspiel is the worst thing ever brewed, even worse than Hudi Delite. Oktoberfest is over spiced as well. Just brew a great bock yah basterdz. They are like a 16 year old who just discovered SAT words and read Faulkner for the first time trying to write a novel.
jb

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:17 am

jb wrote:Not surprised GLBC went ofer. They have really slipped, other than Monster. And Glockenspiel is the worst thing ever brewed, even worse than Hudi Delite. Oktoberfest is over spiced as well. Just brew a great bock yah basterdz. They are like a 16 year old who just discovered SAT words and read Faulkner for the first time trying to write a novel.

Just curious, whats off-putting about Glockenspeil? Too sweet/cloying or are heavy weizens not you up of tea? The only reason I ask is that sometimes folks get it confused with Grassroots Ale (an awful saison/farmhouse with too much lemon/herbal shit going on). Not knocking your tastes or anything like that. I agree with Oktoberfest and your sentiments about making a bock. Steinbach at the brewpub was really good as was Instigator. Sad thing is Christmas Ale is worse than before because of the exact opposite reason. Lower ABV, less spice, thinner body. 2009 was an utter disappointment. Until it gets fixed, I'll stick with Corsendonk, St Bernardus, and Troegs Mad elf if I want a Christmas Ale.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:36 am

Ask and you shall receive. http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.co ... n/winners/

I agree with Oktoberfest, that was there as well, it is too spicy, beer needs to still taste like beer. Not a huge fan. I am not a huge Hefewiezen fan, probably why I dont like Glockenspiel. It is ok, not awful, not award worthy though, I have had many others I enjoyed more.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:08 pm

Ziner wrote:Ask and you shall receive. http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.co ... n/winners/

I agree with Oktoberfest, that was there as well, it is too spicy, beer needs to still taste like beer. Not a huge fan. I am not a huge Hefewiezen fan, probably why I dont like Glockenspiel. It is ok, not awful, not award worthy though, I have had many others I enjoyed more.

Wow, considering the outright # of small to mid-size brewers/brewpubs that won awards, this just goes to show how craft-brewing has exploded in the US. I understand that some of the better, more well-known breweries didn't submit a sample for every category, but there are not a lot of "big names" showing up on that awards list. I'm talking the Russian River, Lagunitas, Stone, Dogfish, Founders, Cigar City, 3 Floyds, Surly, New Glarus, Sam Adams, Bells, Brooklyn, Southern Tier, etc. Most of the brews that placed are brewed at sites that distribute in only a small region and likely not even out of state. All the more reason for me to get out there and see what people are cooking up. Thanks for the link and previous write-up.

RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby jb » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:50 pm

jb wrote:Not surprised GLBC went ofer. They have really slipped, other than Monster. And Glockenspiel is the worst thing ever brewed, even worse than Hudi Delite. Oktoberfest is over spiced as well. Just brew a great bock yah basterdz. They are like a 16 year old who just discovered SAT words and read Faulkner for the first time trying to write a novel.

Just curious, whats off-putting about Glockenspeil? Too sweet/cloying or are heavy weizens not you up of tea?

Yes. ;-)

Not really a Weizen fan, but I can deal with an understaed weizen on a hot day, such as a 'kugel summer shandy. All in all, I'm a hop-head.

But the cammomile stuff made me feel lik I should be having my monthly visit from Auntie Flo, if I knew what that felt like. IMhO, simple is better. Don;'t try too hard with spices and shit. Just hop the living bejesus out of it and I;m a happy boi.
jb

Unread postby jb » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:52 pm

Just curious, whats off-putting about Glockenspeil? Too sweet/cloying or are heavy weizens not you up of tea? The only reason I ask is that sometimes folks get it confused with Grassroots Ale (an awful saison/farmhouse with too much lemon/herbal shit going on). Not knocking your tastes or anything like that. I agree with Oktoberfest and your sentiments about making a bock. Steinbach at the brewpub was really good as was Instigator. Sad thing is Christmas Ale is worse than before because of the exact opposite reason. Lower ABV, less spice, thinner body. 2009 was an utter disappointment. Until it gets fixed, I'll stick with Corsendonk, St Bernardus, and Troegs Mad elf if I want a Christmas Ale.

Man, I am blanking out the name (ur better at this than I Ricky) , but I think it was the Southern Tier Xmas ale, Krampus maybe? Do I recall that right?
jb

Next

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry