Text Size

College Sports Arena

Marshall vs. WVU

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Marshall vs. WVU

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:19 am

One of my questions following the OSU vs. Marshall trip to the woodshed last week was whether Marshall was still "a bowl team" or had they regressed. They looked pretty good against WVU last night, so I think it is safe to say that they didn't regress to far.

I was pretty pissed off about Mike Adams getting beat a couple of times by that Marshall DE, #99 (I think Curry was his last name), but he looked a pretty serious player last night. That Marshall D-Line (which gave up nearly 300 yards to OSU) looked pretty damn decent against WVU. Kind of begs the question, how good is OSU's O-Line. After the 45-7 beat down OSU put on Marshall, I was pretty much convinced that Marshall was a 3-9 type team this year and OSU was pretty good. Now, I am thinking Marshall is probably a .500 team and OSU is amazing.

Now watching WVU play last night, they looked like shit. No way they should be in the top 25. Now, having said that, is there a single decent team in the Big LEAST this year. That conference is terrible, early losses by Pitt and Cincy to nobodies and Marshall nearly beating WVU? Maybe it truly is time for the MWC to gain AQ status at the Big East's expense. We will never see that happen, but it probably should.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Marshall vs. WVU

Unread postby swerb » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:24 am

I watched most of that one last night ... and West V looked like total shit. Bill Stewart is a joke as well. The Big East is way down this year. West V is down, Cincy is gonna fall way off with Kelly gone, UConn looked awful last week despite returning 16 starters from a team that won a bowl game, and Pitt is still coached by Dave Wannestedt the last time I checked.

The Mountain West is clearly a better conference this year. TCU and Utah would both win the Big East ... maybe BYU as well.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:02 pm

How can you say Marshall 'looked good' when you say WV is shit?

Not giving any props to WV mind you, just that shit vs shit can't = anymore than shit

Marshall D looked good last night??? You guys watch the whole game and see them gag up a 15 pt lead with 6 minutes left with two 90+ TD drives. Then lose in OT?

Marshall apears to be no measuring stick for any team, let alone OSU, eh?
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:05 pm

Couple of points;

1. Marshall looked good for a C-USA team, there is a qualifier here. The level of "goodness" varies a lot on teams from C-USA, they run from down right average (for a decent conference) to "Holy shit, Mount Union beat a better team last week." I was saying that they looked more like the former than the latter. OSU's beatdown was so complete that you could not tell which was the case with Marshall. Is Marshall a real barometer, NO, but do I feel better about that win now having seen Marshall play another team, YES.

2. I was grading WVU based on their #23 ranking and the fact that they are supposed to compete to win a "BCS" conference this year. They do not look like they could beat 3 Big Ten teams this year.

3. Marshall had some nice playmakers out there yesterday, they obviously do not have the depth to keep those playmakers fresh for the whole game. For 54 minutes, WVU had no answer. That said, OSU did all of its damaage in the first 30 minutes of that game against Marshall's starters. Good measuring stick? Not really, but it is the only measuring stick we have and like I said, I feel better about that Marshall win now. I also feel a little better about Mike Adams after watching Curry play another game.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:28 pm

Ditto, Furls...Curry looked very good last night, as did #90 Michal Januc for the Herd. Adams did a pretty nice job on him last week...like you say, with only a couple of exceptions...literally two plays. If he can play to a draw today against Allen Bailey, we'll know our worries about LT are over, IMO.

I was very impressed with Smith, the WVU QB...he was pretty cool late in the game as WVU was making their late comeback.

No argument, though, that the Big East blows
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Return to College Sports Arena