Text Size

College Sports Arena

Week 2 NCAAF Slate - Wow

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Week 2 NCAAF Slate - Wow

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:02 pm

12:00 Georgia at South Carolina
12:00 South Florida at Florida
3:30 Miami FL at Ohio State
3:30 Florida State at Oklahoma
3:30 Michigan at Notre Dame

3:30 Iowa State at Iowa
3:30 Colorado at Cal
4:00 BYU at Air Force
7:00 Troy at Oklahoma State
7:00 Penn State at Alabama
7:00 Oregon at Tennessee

10:00 Stanford at UCLA
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Week 2 NCAAF Slate - Wow

Unread postby waborat » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:45 am

Movin on to the main course pretty early this year :thumb up:
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby furls » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:25 am

It is a pretty awesome lineup. I just had to sell my OSU vs. Miami tix because I couldn't get in for the weekend, fortunately I am off on Saturday so I will get the brisket and baby backs on the smoker at 7am (I'll do 2 smallish ones) so they are ready at halftime. Ill just make my 15 year old son tend to the smoke box. Thank god for my son.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby tired » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:33 am

You just made a list of my things to do list on sat. Swerbs !!! There is nothing like great games being on all day sat. My day of rest.
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
tired

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:18 pm

furls wrote:It is a pretty awesome lineup. I just had to sell my OSU vs. Miami tix because I couldn't get in for the weekend, fortunately I am off on Saturday so I will get the brisket and baby backs on the smoker at 7am (I'll do 2 smallish ones) so they are ready at halftime. Ill just make my 15 year old son tend to the smoke box. Thank god for my son.

How small are those that they are going to finish in 6.5 hours, Furls?

I've never had one take less than 8.5-9....
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby furls » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:49 pm

Bro, you gotta go back and redo the math. Halftime should be around 5:30 p.m. (with the 3:45 kick) that means that if I get the smoker going at 0700, I can have it hot ready and cooking by 0730 which gets me about 10 hours of cooking time! I use the 1 hour per pound at 225 thumb rule, creates a nice ring and gets it done. So I need a 10lb brisket. I have designed and built my own humidifier for the smoker and I think I may just sack up and give it a shot this time.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Loo » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:04 pm

Combine those games with the opening weekend of Pro football--it's gonna be a great weekend.
mmm, this is, a tasty burger!
Loo

Favorite Player: Josh Willingham
Least Favorite Player: Josh Willingham

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:28 am

furls wrote:Bro, you gotta go back and redo the math. Halftime should be around 5:30 p.m. (with the 3:45 kick) that means that if I get the smoker going at 0700, I can have it hot ready and cooking by 0730 which gets me about 10 hours of cooking time! I use the 1 hour per pound at 225 thumb rule, creates a nice ring and gets it done. So I need a 10lb brisket. I have designed and built my own humidifier for the smoker and I think I may just sack up and give it a shot this time.

Got it, I forgot it wasn't a noon game for a second. Thought you were cooking a 5lb brisket for a min, lol.

BTW, I have a pretty fantastic recipe for Brisket. I'm sure you have your own, but let me know if you want to try it sometime.

Why the humidifier?
JCoz

Unread postby furls » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:55 pm

Humidifier in the smoker adds moisture and prevents against dry out. Also, a tiny pit of humidity in the air (I am not trying to make it a Florida swamp in there) makes the air denser (duh!) and in doing so makes it slightly better at heat transfer. This heat transfer is negligible in the metal and cook time, but it will help the inside of the smoker maintain a uniform temperature. More uniform temperature means I don't have to move the meat around.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:33 pm

furls wrote: I don't have to move the meat around

haha
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:01 pm

furls wrote:Humidifier in the smoker adds moisture and prevents against dry out. Also, a tiny pit of humidity in the air (I am not trying to make it a Florida swamp in there) makes the air denser (duh!) and in doing so makes it slightly better at heat transfer. This heat transfer is negligible in the metal and cook time, but it will help the inside of the smoker maintain a uniform temperature. More uniform temperature means I don't have to move the meat around.

Goddamn scientists. ;-) ;) :wink:

I've never heard one Memphis/TN/NC/TX brisket king describe it like this, I'll guaran-effin-tee ya that. :salute:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby furls » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:09 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
furls wrote: I don't have to move the meat around

haha

That's what she said?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:53 am

IN SOVIET RUSSIA, BRISKET SMOKE YOU!
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:01 am

furls wrote:Humidifier in the smoker adds moisture and prevents against dry out. Also, a tiny pit of humidity in the air (I am not trying to make it a Florida swamp in there) makes the air denser (duh!) and in doing so makes it slightly better at heat transfer. This heat transfer is negligible in the metal and cook time, but it will help the inside of the smoker maintain a uniform temperature. More uniform temperature means I don't have to move the meat around.

I'll tell you what, I agree that the humidity has its effects.

I convinced my dad to get the same smoker I had, but no its been twice that I've come down and had trouble adjusting. Didn't really know what it was, but I def thought humidity was a factor.

In MD no added humdity is required.

But in Cleveland for my brisket I use a wrapping mix and I wrap it for the better part of the process. I smoke it for the first 2-3 hours, wrap it with a honey/sugar glaze and put it back on the smoker, but after that I don't use any wood.
JCoz

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:09 am

JCoz wrote:...but after that I don't use any wood.

Where's Erie Warrior? You know he's not letting the wood thing go.

So to speak.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:55 am

I respect the hell out of all you that have the patience & perserverance to do all that work for the food, I just cant , if I cook it and eat it within an hour or so I just don't bother.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby furls » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:03 pm

FUDU,

It gives me an excuse to start cracking beers at 0700. Even my wife understands man-code, if the grill/smoker is going I must have a beer in my non-spatula hand in order to balance the yin/yang of the universe. Additionally, you really cannot beat a smoked brisket, so while you may not have the patience (yet) one day you may. Just out of curiosity, how old are you? I was pretty much the same way when I was in my earlyish 20s. Then when I was about 25 I found the virtue of cooking on coal vice propane. The next, natural progression for me at 30 was smoking. Now at 34, it is really my preferred way of cooking out. I even cook burgers over mesquite or hickory most of the time now.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:21 pm

furls wrote:FUDU,

It gives me an excuse to start cracking beers at 0700. Even my wife understands man-code, if the grill/smoker is going I must have a beer in my non-spatula hand in order to balance the yin/yang of the universe. Additionally, you really cannot beat a smoked brisket, so while you may not have the patience (yet) one day you may. Just out of curiosity, how old are you? I was pretty much the same way when I was in my earlyish 20s. Then when I was about 25 I found the virtue of cooking on coal vice propane. The next, natural progression for me at 30 was smoking. Now at 34, it is really my preferred way of cooking out. I even cook burgers over mesquite or hickory most of the time now.

Similar story for me, I always preferred grilling but was always in apt's so never did until 3 years ago.

Got my first house, dad came over and bought me my first weber, showed me the basics on controlling the fire and it was all over.

2 years after that I bought my smoker and have been going nuts since, Salmon, Pulled Pork, Ribs, Chicken, Brisket......

Started tweaking recipes, making my own chili powder and sauces last year.

Just learned a 100-year old recipe for Polish Kielbasa from scratch 4 weeks ago.

Really didn't see myself getting that into it this much, but I love every second of it.
JCoz

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:33 pm

JCoz wrote: wrap it with a honey/sugar glaze and put it back on the smoker, but after that I don't use any wood.

Is that like blunt-dick?
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:37 pm

Back on topic, Cameron Newton has some real talent. He needs to stop trying to run over every defender he comes in contact with, but I liked what I saw from him last night (minus the INT in the end zone, you non- covering bastards). Strong arm, still needs to work on the anticipation throws.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:40 pm

FUDU is like the Old Man in A Christmas Story. He'll try and get a taste of whatever is available despite the threat of worms!
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:53 pm

Marshall just BLEW a sure opportunity to get their first-ever win over West Virginia. Leading 21-6 with less than nine minutes left inside the WVU 10, they give the ball to a true freshman who fumbles. WVU puts together 96-and-98-yard drives to tie the game and wins in overtime.

I don't even like Marshall- I think they're punks for playing the MAC the way they did- but man, that was brutal.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:02 pm

The chunks of yards being ripped off in the Hou/UTEP game is unreal.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:04 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:The chunks of yards being ripped off in the Hou/UTEP game is unreal.

UTEP has 2x the time of possession. They've got the right gameplan, they just cannot stop HOU. There's no chance they stop them all game.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:09 pm

Defense is and always has been optional in Conference USA West.

That's a weird league. The East is old-school smashmouth and the West is pass-pass-pass. I don't think there's a conference in America where there's so much of a stylistic disparity between divisions.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:11 pm

UTEP is fucking horrible. This is the absolute worst tackling display I've ever seen. They've overpursued everything.

They'll be lucky to cover because they'll need to score 40 points to cover a 21 point spread.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:18 pm

Shitty play calling by Houston. 1st and goal from the 2, and the throw 3 straight fades. Bullshit.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:27 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Shitty play calling by Houston. 1st and goal from the 2, and the throw 3 straight fades. Bullshit.

UTEP follows it up with 6 plays inside the 20 and can't get 6. Horrible.

I know HOU's going right downfield here.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:33 pm

Keenum's 5/10 for 146 yards.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:33 pm

This Keenum fella's pretty good.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:34 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:This Keenum fella's pretty good.

UTEP's secondary is totally lost in space every time Keenum drops back to go long. Guys have no idea where the ball is, the safeties have been nowhere to be found.

I'd like to see what this kid does against a real defense.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:41 am

Interesting game to get things started today ... looking forward to this UGA/South Carolina game. With how vulnerable Florida looked last week, winner of this is gonna be the frontrunner to win the SEC East and to get into that SEC title game against Bama in December. I like the Dawgs in this one. Cocks have been a perpetual dicktease under the ole ball coach, and I think people are sleeping on Georgia and Richt this year.

Wish some of these 3:30 games were more spread out though.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:24 pm

Note to self - never bet on Georgia again. These assholes fool me every year.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:26 pm

On the flip side, nice win and easy cover for Kansas. Big freaking win for Turner Gill.

Georgia Tech pulls off a couple of these stinkers every year.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:33 pm

swerb wrote:On the flip side, nice win and easy cover for Kansas. Big freaking win for Turner Gill.

Georgia Tech pulls off a couple of these stinkers every year.

If GA Tech has to play from behind, forget it. There's no way Nesbitt's arm can move them downfield.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:09 pm

VT making me look like a schmuck. The state of Georgia can drink a cup of aids.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby swerb » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:46 pm

Va Tech - unbelievable. Losing to James Madison at home?

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:55 pm

FSU getting butt raped by OU.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby swerb » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:59 pm

Iowa laying one on Iowa State in that rivalry game. Hawkeyes look real good early this year.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:16 pm

Florida St. has given up 274 passing yards to Landry Jones who was 47% accurate against Utah State last week.

So much for me taking them as my upset special on the podcast this morning.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:30 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Florida St. has given up 274 passing yards to Landry Jones who was 47% accurate against Utah State last week.

So much for me taking them as my upset special on the podcast this morning.

Just like I said Va Tech was top 10. The state of Georgia can hang out in CDT's den.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:46 pm

Man, that BSU win on Monday just got really cheap didn't it?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:14 pm

Miami loses to Ohio State. FSU gets run off the field by Oklahoma. Va Tech loses to James Madison. Ga Tech loses to a Kansas team that scored three points against a I-AA opponent last week. Best win for the conference? BC over Kent State... by 13 points. Nightmare Saturday for the ACC.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:50 pm

Should I be rooting on 'Bama or cringing at State Penn getting rolled up like a I-AA team?
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:54 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Should I be rooting on 'Bama or cringing at State Penn getting rolled up like a I-AA team?

Eff Penn State's Eastern, Lambert Trophy a$$, is what I think.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:01 pm

Tennessee looks pretty good against Oregon so far. Driving the ball down the field.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:33 pm

Washington St. getting dominated at home by FCS Montana St. It's time to seriously consider putting Wash St. in FCS and letting someone else in the Pac-10. Unfortunately, all the good FCS teams are in the East.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:39 pm

hermanfontenot wrote:Miami loses to Ohio State. FSU gets run off the field by Oklahoma. Va Tech loses to James Madison. Ga Tech loses to a Kansas team that scored three points against a I-AA opponent last week. Best win for the conference? BC over Kent State... by 13 points. Nightmare Saturday for the ACC.

That's OK, it's only four or five weeks till basketball season starts.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:22 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Washington St. getting dominated at home by FCS Montana St. It's time to seriously consider putting Wash St. in FCS and letting someone else in the Pac-10. Unfortunately, all the good FCS teams are in the East.

They must have heard me. Now leading 23-22.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby dmiles » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:35 pm

hermanfontenot wrote:Miami loses to Ohio State. FSU gets run off the field by Oklahoma. Va Tech loses to James Madison. Ga Tech loses to a Kansas team that scored three points against a I-AA opponent last week. Best win for the conference? BC over Kent State... by 13 points. Nightmare Saturday for the ACC.

C'mon now....NC State seems comfortably ahead of my new hometown school UCF... (I drive through UCF everyday to get to the office).

Huge win for the ACC. :lmfao: :lmfao:
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Next

Return to College Sports Arena