Text Size

College Sports Arena

9/4... the season is finally upon us.

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: 9/4... the season is finally upon us.

Unread postby furls » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:01 pm

That run by Taylor was ridiculous (using the back of his hand to stay up).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:02 pm

Thoroughly impressed by Tyrod Taylor tonight. Kid is poised, in control, and making all the right decisions with his right arm and his feet. Put him in the Heisman mix if they hold on to win tonight.

Also, the VT WR's have impressed me tonight too. Heard and read nothing about this group in all the preseasoj build up, also the build up to this game. Running good routes, not dropping anything, making smart decisions after the catch.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby furls » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:05 pm

It is pretty clear that VaTech is just better than BSU. BSU might pull this game out yet, but there is a marked difference in talent on the field. VaTech has really taken over this game after spotting BSU those 17. Think about it, the score would be 27-9 if VaTech had started out without slamming their dicks in the door every chance they got.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:13 pm

That shoestring tackle on 2nd down may have won the game for VT. That was going to be a sizable gain.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:13 pm

Big series there for the VT cornerbacks. Chance for VT to salt it away now.

Love listening to Musberger and Herbstreit call games.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby dmiles » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:16 pm

Helluva punt though. Tough place to get out of to run clock.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby dmiles » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:24 pm

I get it first down you put the team away. Still I run the football on 3rd down and get me another 40 seconds or so off the clock. I guess Beamer figured if they are going to score they can do it with 1:20
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:25 pm

That's an illegal block. And a 30 yard difference.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:30 pm

Overtime?
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:34 pm

Beamer ball has been deflated...............again.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:35 pm

4th & 11 and everyone's 30 yards downfield? Gotta give the kid a check down there.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:37 pm

so when do you guys think BSU will be knocked off?

No way they make the national title game over the good ol' boys club. Hell, I see a scenario playing out where a 2-loss SEC team slips in over them.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:47 pm

so when do you guys think BSU will be knocked off?

Sometime in 2011.

No way they make the national title game over the good ol' boys club. Hell, I see a scenario playing out where a 2-loss SEC team slips in over them.

Not a chance in hell that happens if they run the table.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby tired » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:46 am

Example, a one loss Ohio State team will face a one loss Oklahoma team before an undeafeted Boise get's in there. You can book that one. Not to mention a one loss Bama, Fla. etc. Just won't happen.
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
tired

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:41 am

Boise will get in that game over one loss teams this year.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:29 am

tired wrote:Example, a one loss Ohio State team will face a one loss Oklahoma team before an undeafeted Boise get's in there. You can book that one. Not to mention a one loss Bama, Fla. etc. Just won't happen.

Not sure. The national disdain for tOSU is pretty high. OU the same. Coaches will tend to favor the big boys, but the media will be slobbering all over Boise for the next 15 weeks. I think the only one loss team that will trump an undefeated Boise State is a team from the SEC.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby furls » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:34 pm

Boise will get in that game over one loss teams this year.

FACT. How could they justify keeping a team that hasn't lost in 2 seasons out? They just couldn't do it. I am not going to pass judgment (in this post) on whether or not they should be in, but given the temperature of the national media (Harris Poll) and coaches (Coaches Poll), they would be 2/3's of the way there. The only way they don't get in is if they are unremarkable enough against the rest of the shitballs on their schedule to cause themselves to be passed by one loss teams (something like only beating NMSU by 3).

Right now Oregon St. is the only "deep man" to keep BSU out of the endzone in the event that the big boys knock each other out.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:37 pm

Say what you will about SOS, team speed or coaching, but Boise can flat out play. And if they go undefeated, they get in over a 1 loss team. VT is a good team, not as strong as last year, but top 10 for sure.

That was a hell of a game. No cupcakes or tune-ups, flat out dick kicking, good old-fashioned football. Probably (excluding the NC game) the best opponent either team will face all season.

For the heat BSU takes about their weak schedule, have you ever seen them not show up for a bowl game? They've been on the national radar for years now, and they keep winning. Realistically, what contending team is going to fly to Idaho and play on the smurf turf the first game of the season? BSU will always be on the road, and always have to defend their schedule, despite winning every time the play a contending team. I bet Frank Beamer is second guessing that decision right now.

College football rules.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:14 pm

I'm sorry but VaTech does not look like a top 10 team. Top 20 sure, top 15 eh probably. Not taking anything away from Boise, they earned the win, and the game was won in the first ten minutes regardless of VaTech's comeback. But VaTech is SSDD.

I will say this about Boise getting their shot, they live and breath in the system we have just like everybody else so if they are 1 of 2 undefeated teams it would be intellectually dishonest to not give em their shot. But that just goes that much further in proving this system is a joke. The pre-season rankings have too much of an impact (let's face it if Boise were 8th their odds drop off significantly despite possibly running the table) and a team like Boise really has a weak conference schedule.

And I believe Furls already mentioned this, but a playoff doesn't solve the Boise St. problem either b/c would they really deserve being in a limited playoff?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:20 pm

FUDU wrote:I'm sorry but VaTech does not look like a top 10 team. Top 20 sure, top 15 eh probably. Not taking anything away from Boise, they earned the win, and the game was won in the first ten minutes regardless of VaTech's comeback. But VaTech is SSDD.

Impossible to tell this early. No one thought Oregon looked like a top 10 team early last season either.

It's tough to get a read on anyone right now because the opening week is so sloppy and disorganized as a general rule. It's going to take another couple of weeks before we get an idea of who's good and who isn't. Unless we're talking about New Mexico or Washington State.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:30 pm

Dream scenario is this:

Boise State finishes the season undefeated, as does TOSU.

'Bama finishes with one loss to one fluke game to say, Ole Miss or Florida, leaving them on the outside looking in.

TOSU beats up on Boise, leaving 'Bama to win a meaningless Sugar Bowl. 'Bamas fans and the other SEC Honks that inhabit the country are up in arms, and beg the NCAA to do a playoff, going so far as SEC leading some form of a protest against the current system.

TOSU gets a title albeit an easy one and just says "Not our faults thats the way things went", while all the more giving the :fu: to the country.

Changes are made, and we get a plus one model to start off with.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:32 pm

hermanfontenot wrote:
FUDU wrote:I'm sorry but VaTech does not look like a top 10 team. Top 20 sure, top 15 eh probably. Not taking anything away from Boise, they earned the win, and the game was won in the first ten minutes regardless of VaTech's comeback. But VaTech is SSDD.

Impossible to tell this early. No one thought Oregon looked like a top 10 team early last season either.

It's tough to get a read on anyone right now because the opening week is so sloppy and disorganized as a general rule. It's going to take another couple of weeks before we get an idea of who's good and who isn't. Unless we're talking about New Mexico or Washington State.
I saw one guy show up for VatEch last night, the D was eh, and ultimately not enough, so yeah while you're right that it is early VaTech simply didn't do anything that impressed me at all, even during their comeback.

FUDU

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:34 pm

Triple-S wrote:Dream scenario is this:

Boise State finishes the season undefeated, as does TOSU.

'Bama finishes with one loss to one fluke game to say, Ole Miss or Florida, leaving them on the outside looking in.

TOSU beats up on Boise, leaving 'Bama to win a meaningless Sugar Bowl. 'Bamas fans and the other SEC Honks that inhabit the country are up in arms, and beg the NCAA to do a playoff, going so far as SEC leading some form of a protest against the current system.

TOSU gets a title albeit an easy one and just says "Not our faults thats the way things went", while all the more giving the :fu: to the country.

Changes are made, and we get a plus one model to start off with.
I actually want to play Bama. Both teams play similar styles of football which could lead to an epic game.

FUDU

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:45 pm

FUDU wrote:I actually want to play Bama. Both teams play similar styles of football which could lead to an epic game.

From a football's fan's perspective I would enjoy seeing that much more, especially as if the Bucks did prevail it would be revenge of some sorts for the 1998 MSU game, where Saban de-railed TOSU's shot at a national title.

I think when it's all said and done that could be the matchup we see. I just really want the above scenario to happen as I believe it would push us to some form of a playoff, something CFB has been in dire need of.

Triple-S

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena