Text Size

College Sports Arena

9/4... the season is finally upon us.

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: 9/4... the season is finally upon us.

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:28 pm

Loo wrote:I hope TCU or Boise do go the title game, and they play OSU for it.

Even better to see TCU meet Boise St in the title game. Think that might be more powerful than seeing one of those schools get handled by a big team in the championship game.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby furls » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:54 pm

If the Bucks beat TCU or BSU then the championship wouldn't "count." The Buckeyes victory in the media would be a function of beating an overrated TCU/BSU team. I am not sure that even a playoff solves the problem because please, make the case to me that an undefeated TCU/BYU/BSU deserves a berth in the playoffs as conference champs over the #2 team in the SEC, Big Ten or Big XII.

If the Buckeyes played BSU or TCU's schedule they would face the national media rath and ridicule of the ages. How does BSU get a pass? If they want to play in the NCG then schedule Alabama, OSU, VaTech, and LSU. The rest of their schedule is a complete pass, so scheduling one good team, one mediocre team, one bottom of the barrel bowl team, and a MAC bottom feeder should not get it done if the rest of your schedule is shit.

Let's compare OSU's and BSU's schedule for a minute:

BSU has VaTech, OSU has Miami (these two cancel)
BSU has Wyoming, OSU has Marshall (these two cancel as both were bottom of the barrel bowl teams last year)
BSU has Toledo, OSU has Ohio University (slight edge to OSU, but I will be generous and call it a wash)
BSU has Oregon St., OSU has Eastern Michigan (Clear Advantage BSU)

Now where is BSU's equivalent to:

Iowa?
Wisconsin?
Penn State?

We can sit here and argue the merits of Purdue vs. Nevada, or Minnesota vs. Fresno St., but in the end BSU will not play anyone in league this year that is even close to those 3. Finishing 47-4 is super neato, now go play more than one fucking meaningful regular season game per year.

Loo,

You hit the nail on the head. Now TCU has an inside track to a BCS game (particularly now that SOS is not a factor). What is worse is that they will try to justify it with Andy Dalton's ridiculous stats accumulated at the expense of the New Mexico and SDSU and a rush defense that made its bones by holding the likes of Colorado State or UNLV to 43 YPG. Stats without context are just numbers and most media pundits are too lazy to weight the numbers accordingly. Now all that said, TCU has a much tougher road that BSU in conference: BYU, Utah and Air Force are at least decent teams. The WAC fucking SUCKS! In either case, neither team deserves to be in the championship game until they beat at least something resembling a real BCS conference schedule, if they got to go out of conference to get well then so be it.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby JoJo White » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:28 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:Me prays that Les Miles is on his way out.

fify, dude is a bum

What's the good word on Miles? I know most UT fans are UGA and LSU fans this year, b/c Coach Boom will be at the top of their wish list if Richt or Miles is shown the door. I also think that Boom would grow tired of waiting for Mack to retire and that he would jump at the chance to coach either UGA or LSU.
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:44 pm

May is hilarious anymore. To OSU's win over Marshall all he said was "well it was Marshall". But then in the next 20 seconds went on to talk about how good Miami looked in beating Florida A&M. ::doh::
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:20 pm

JoJo White wrote:
Bayou Tribe wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:Me prays that Les Miles is on his way out.

fify, dude is a bum

What's the good word on Miles? I know most UT fans are UGA and LSU fans this year, b/c Coach Boom will be at the top of their wish list if Richt or Miles is shown the door. I also think that Boom would grow tired of waiting for Mack to retire and that he would jump at the chance to coach either UGA or LSU.

No one is realistic or reasonable down here. Everyone just thinks we can nix Miles this week and Saban or Pelini would just crawl back beginning to do the job for free. Personally, I would like a defensive minded head coach. Preferrably Gary Patterson or Will Muschamp, but that's just me. I do think LSU has 3 very promising young coaches on staff (Billy Gonzales, Ron Cooper, Frank Wilson) but I don't think any of them or in the position right now to make such a big jump.

I do agree with your sentiment on the coach in waiting deal at Texas. I don't think Mack is going anywhere for the next 6 or so years, and there will be viable offers between now and then for Muschamp. I hope LSU has the chance to hire a guy like that, but who knows?
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:05 pm

Va Tech's jersey's are hella sweet.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:07 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Va Tech's jersey's are hella sweet.

I thought nothing would be cooler than those new helmets TCU busted out Sat night ... but these Hokie unis are effin sweet. :thumb up:
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:22 pm

Damn ... Boise came to freaking play. Three straight right hooks right to the Hokies jaws. Va Tech needs to get control of things here.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby dmiles » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:25 pm

A Boise win probably gets them to #2. Not that it matters if the Bucks beat da' U, PSU/Mich at home and Wisconsin/Iowa on the road things will take care of themselves.

Still early but Beamer's teams.... are they known from battling back and coming from behind?
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:32 pm

I think if Vatech's teams are known for anything recently it is disappointment and under-achievement. They've been touted as so good the past 6-7 years and never seal the deal. While I wouldn't be surprised to see them right the ship tonight and end up winning it also wouldn't surprise me to see them F up their whole season right here tonight.

FUDU

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:36 pm

Microcosm of this game so far. VT finally forces Boise into a 3rd and long deep in their own territory. Boise OL gives Moore about 10 seconds to throw and he finds Titus Young wide open streaking across the middle.

Boise owning the trenches. Owning VT so far.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby furls » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:41 pm

You know college football would be way less confusing if they would stop putting teams like VaTech in the top ten and just put them at 20-30 where they belong. It isn't an upset if the teams are actually properly ranked. That said, this game has been about VaTech's lack of fundamentals and discipline than BSUs skill.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:43 pm

That running into the kicker call...they need to re-evaluate that rule. It was kind of a weak call, but an enormous momentum changer.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:46 pm

This is just an all out ass whooping. Looks like Ohio State vs Bedford High School.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:01 pm

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:13 pm

Wonder what mark may is going to sound like at half-time?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:14 pm

Triple-S wrote:Wonder what mark may is going to sound like at half-time?

A douchebag. Just like always.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:18 pm

Middle of the Boise St DL is vulnerable ... VT has gotta keep pounding it with Williams and Taylor ... not this goofy double reverse bull shit.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:22 pm

Agree with ^^^, and man that missed FG is gonna hurt.

FUDU

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:24 pm

FUDU wrote:Agree with ^^^, and man that missed FG is gonna hurt.

They needed points there. 1st and goal to a missed FG.

VT - classic big game chokers. 1-25 all time in games against AP Top 5 teams.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby furls » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:26 pm

This is one of the worst called games (from VATECH) that I have seen in a long time. Double reverses and end arounds are great calls against teams when you are at an athletic disadvantage against an undisciplined defense. VaTech has the athletic advantage and BSU plays great assignment football. VaTech is calling the game BSU should be. VaTech should be running QB draws, bootlegs and short passes to exploit the man under zone.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:29 pm

Tyrod Taylor's making a lot of things happen in spite of the shit play calling. He's really impressive tonight.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:29 pm

That TD is big, need to not F up the last 50 seconds of the half and try to get points first in the 3rd to put some pressure on BS.

LOL, I think that is what we should call Boise St from now on BS.

FUDU

Unread postby noles1 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:34 pm

Beamer calling the timeout before half here could come back to bite them.

Stupid decision and gives Boise a chance to make a play and maybe get 3...

Nevermind.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:37 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Tyrod Taylor's making a lot of things happen in spite of the shit play calling. He's really impressive tonight.

Taylor's become a legit QB ... real nice player. Enjoy watching him play just as much as I dislike looking at that lump of shit on Beamer's neck.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:41 pm

swerb wrote:just as much as I dislike looking at that lump of shit on Beamer's neck.

His head?
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:41 pm

Entertaining opening half. Fast, physical, and action packed.

Looked like Boise was gonna run em out of the stadium. Va Tech gave em most of their points and missed a big scoring opportunity late in the 2Q.

Tyrod Taylor has looked strong. So has the VT defense after being absolutely owned in the trenches during the 1Q.

VT needs to get their shit together on special teams. All this god damn talk about Beamer Ball ... special teams has killed em tonight.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:48 pm

Mark May:

"Miami got 8 sacks against FAMU, their defense is better than ohio states, look out terrell pryor"

Lou Holtz "Florida state looked great against Samford"

MM: "OF COURSE! IT'S SANFORD!! GRR!"
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:51 pm

Triple-S wrote:Mark May:

"Miami got 8 sacks against Miami (fl.), there defense is better than ohio states, look out terrell pryor"

You do know he didn't say anything about Miami's D being better than OSU's right?

FUDU

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:52 pm

FUDU wrote:

"Miami got 8 sacks against Miami (fl.), there defense is better than ohio states, look out terrell pryor"

You do know he didn't say anything about Miami's D being better than OSU's right?

You sure, I though thats what I had heard. Maybe my hearing was off.

Triple-S

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:55 pm

Triple-S wrote:
FUDU wrote:

You sure, I though thats what I had heard. Maybe my hearing was off.

LOL SSS ... you crack me up dude. One angry MF'er.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:58 pm

swerb wrote:LOL SSS ... you crack me up dude. One angry MF'er.

just can't stand mark may.

I'm very curious how this game will go though, It's almost all but a one game playoff in a sense for the Broncos to possibly clinch a national title.

seasons long of course, but if they win this, things could be getting interesting.

Triple-S

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:07 pm

swerb wrote:Taylor's become a legit QB ... real nice player. Enjoy watching him play just as much as I dislike looking at that lump of shit on Beamer's neck.

You should have seen him in HS. STUD. Beamer's neck shit is a scar from removing a conjoined twin when he was born.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:17 pm

IIRC Beamer got bit by a dog when he was a kid.

Kinda ironic when you think about the guy he had playing quarterback a decade ago.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:20 pm

Whole new ballgame ... Va Tech finally wised up and is wearing Boise down.

Gonna find out a lot about this 2010 Boise team over the course of the next hour here.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:24 pm

Blown tackle. That hurts VT.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:25 pm

Boys, we've got ourselves a football game. :thumb up:
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:26 pm

hermanfontenot wrote:Boys, we've got ourselves a football game. :thumb up:

This is one helluva football game.

A little more exciting than last years Boise/Oregon opening week snoozer (before the LaGarrette Blount punch) ...

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:28 pm

Great effin block by the Boise TE on that TD run.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:28 pm

These uniforms hurt my eyes. Jonathan E from Rollerball thinks they look like shit.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:30 pm

What a freaking game from Tyrod Taylor so far.

8-9, 101 yds passing, 1 TD, 0 INT. 14 rushes for 66 yds.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby furls » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:31 pm

You know I am a huge fan, that is why I used him as my poster child for obvious observations today.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:32 pm

taylor has pretty nice touch for a running QB.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:34 pm

HUGE penalty.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:36 pm

Wow ... colossal mistake from Boise running into the kicker!

Va Tech strikes. Tyrod with a clutch pass under duress.

Helluva ballgame.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby RIBrownsFan » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:38 pm

John Fox circa Super Bowl XXXVIII approves of Va Tech going for two...
"I feel very strongly that the name Whalers is synonymous with Connecticut hockey. The Cleveland Browns should always be the Cleveland Browns."

-Howard Baldwin
RIBrownsFan

Favorite Player: Howard Baldwin
Least Favorite Player: the Prom Queen's ego

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:38 pm

Evens it up for the questionable RTK penalty on Boise's punt earlier.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:49 pm

furls wrote:

You know I am a huge fan, that is why I used him as my poster child for obvious observations today.

I enjoyed reading today's piece man btw. great work as always/

May I think has been to me, really pushing hard to make a name for himself. Knowing he can't be as good as say, a Herbie, Spielman (both buckeyes, but at the same time have remained rather objective throughout their broadcasts), he goes the Skip Bayless route. Him playing the heel route has just gotten old quick though.

Triple-S

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:55 pm

I keep getting this feeling that this would be a playoff game if the NCAA ever went that route.

1st round, winner gets 'BAMA/Troy St. winner.

Triple-S

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:59 pm

Amazing play by Taylor.

He's really taking over this game. Kid is legit.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena