Text Size

College Sports Arena

Masoli denied 2010 eligibility.....Good

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Masoli denied 2010 eligibility.....Good

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:00 pm

http://es.pn/c7vcUb

This story had been bugging me ever since I heard about it, but now it looks like justice will be served...

Very glad to see that the NCAA denied 2010 eligibility to Jeremiah Masoli, the former Oregon QB who was kicked off the team for stealing laptops from a fraternity house.

He had transferred to Ole Miss, and was applying to get a waiver of the transfer requirement to sit out a year on what, to me, looked like a bizarre technicality. Houston Nutt and Ole Miss were trying to exploit a loophole in the NCAA transfer regulations to get Masoli eligible to start at QB for them in 2010.

Because Masoli had graduated and still had a year of eligibility, the NCAA rules say you can transfer for "graduate school" as long as the subject you want to get an advanced degree in isn't offered by the school you currently attend.

For starters, who believes that a guy who steals laptops in his spare time is a serious graduate student in anything? Second, all he'd have to do is pick any major area of study that he knew Oregon didn't offer, in order to qualify under the rule. (Word is he was going to pursue a Masters in "Parks and Recreation")

So, anyone else has to sit out a year, but this thief was going receive special consideration just because he had already graduated.

Glad the NCAA did the right thing, and said no, even though the "letter" of the rule was being followed.

"The NCAA felt that the rule allowing players to apply for immediate eligibility while entering a grad school was not created for athletes to avoid discipline."

Duh.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Re: Masoli denied 2010 eligibility.....Good

Unread postby swerb » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:32 pm

Kid was one of the Heisman frontrunners halfway through last season. Been a bad run for him since then. Good to see the NCAA make the right call with this punk. Big blow for Ole Miss. And whoever just drafted him in my college fantasy football league.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:55 pm

Can't hold Masoli down, boys. He's back.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby jfiling » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:22 pm

Yeah, he is. I'm the last to call the guy anything but a bad human, but SI had a story on him about a month ago that dug pretty well into his story. Bottom line, though, is either he's had INCREDIBLY bad luck, or just makes incredibly poor decisions. My money is on the latter.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/f ... index.html
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:26 am

Ole Miss loses.

Karma.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Loo » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:52 am

If you're Houston Nutt and you put your credibility on the line by bringing in Masoli, you better not lose to an FCS opponent at home.

Whoops.
mmm, this is, a tasty burger!
Loo

Favorite Player: Josh Willingham
Least Favorite Player: Josh Willingham

Return to College Sports Arena