Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

T-Mac works out for Cavaliers

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

T-Mac works out for Cavaliers

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:29 am

Unfortunately doesn't look like we'll sign him.

Tracy McGrady recently worked out for the Cavaliers, but Cleveland is "unlikely" to sign the veteran swingman.
T-Mac seems ready to sign with any team that will have him, and the fact that he hasn't secured a deal yet speaks volumes. Wherever he lands, he'll likely be expected to take the veteran's minimum and (the real issue) a backup role.

Rotoworld

I know he's not going to recapture his glory days in Orlando when he was a premier player but I still think at just 31 he has something more to give.

I'm so gutted for him, I hope he finds a home somewhere and restores some worth and credibility in this game
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Re: T-Mac works out for Cavaliers

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:38 am

If he signs here, he can extend his record of no first round playoff series wins!
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Corey KKKKKluber
Least Favorite Player: Domestic Violence

Unread postby pup » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:07 am

Christ. From keeping LBJ to signing T-Flake. That is one bad summer.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:38 am

British_Pharaoh wrote:
I know he's not going to recapture his glory days in Orlando when he was a premier player but I still think at just 31 he has something more to give.

I'm so gutted for him, I hope he finds a home somewhere and restores some worth and credibility in this game

This has got to be some sort of Brit humor,a Dickens-like satire. You really can't be seriously wanting Tracey McGrady.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:11 am

mattvan1 wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:

This has got to be some sort of Brit humor,a Dickens-like satire. You really can't be seriously wanting Tracey McGrady.

I've always been a T-Mac fan
I guess it's just a vain hope that he can be an asset again
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:28 am

British_Pharaoh wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:

I've always been a T-Mac fan
I guess it's just a vain hope that he can be an asset again

Again? Anyway, too late http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5451434
mattvan1

Unread postby papacass » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:31 am

If T-Mac could ever stay healthy, he would have been exactly the type of signing the Cavs could have used.

Sign him to a reasonable two-year contract, and if you're not contending for a top four seed at the trade deadline, offer him up to a contender for a first-round pick. Or a young player and a second-rounder.

Sure, you might only get a 25-30 pick from a team bound for 60 wins, but that's what rebuilding teams do. Take a short-term player and flip him into longer-term assets.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:59 am

papacass wrote:If T-Mac could ever stay healthy, he would have been exactly the type of signing the Cavs could have used.

Sign him to a reasonable two-year contract, and if you're not contending for a top four seed at the trade deadline, offer him up to a contender for a first-round pick. Or a young player and a second-rounder.

Sure, you might only get a 25-30 pick from a team bound for 60 wins, but that's what rebuilding teams do. Take a short-term player and flip him into longer-term assets.

I am way out of my depth here in hoops-land, but it seems to me if you want to develop young kids and play a more selfless/team oriented style of offense, the last thing you want is to add an underperforming drama queen who can't lead. From a contract perspective, maybe he fits. From an effort/style/leadership standpoint - not seeing it.
mattvan1

Unread postby tired » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:47 pm

He signed a one year deal with the Pisston's. Per espn
Do you do drugs? Good!
tired

Favorite Player: I dunno
Least Favorite Player: Boozer

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:23 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
papacass wrote:If T-Mac could ever stay healthy, he would have been exactly the type of signing the Cavs could have used.

I am way out of my depth here in hoops-land, but it seems to me if you want to develop young kids and play a more selfless/team oriented style of offense, the last thing you want is to add an underperforming drama queen who can't lead. From a contract perspective, maybe he fits. From an effort/style/leadership standpoint - not seeing it.

Normally you'd be right, but the Cavs don't really have any legit options at SF; Eyenga could be the starter and I seriously doubt he's ready for extended time. If they could have signed him and watched him average 12-15 pts/game in 25 minutes they might have been able to flip him for a future 1st. Moot point now.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:22 pm

mattvan1 wrote:

True Matt, but this is a moot point based on the first 5 words of Cass' post.

Because if there were any chance of that happening he sure as hell wouldn't be signing here.

The fact he's broken down with questionable intangibles is what made him a possibility.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby aoxo1 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:59 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

Normally you'd be right, but the Cavs don't really have any legit options at SF; Eyenga could be the starter and I seriously doubt he's ready for extended time. If they could have signed him and watched him average 12-15 pts/game in 25 minutes they might have been able to flip him for a future 1st. Moot point now.

Cavs should abolish the 3 and go forward with 2 SGs.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:04 pm

?
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby aoxo1 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:09 pm

That'll show him.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:20 pm

Ah werd.

I'm all in on a Boobie, Sessions, Mo backcourt.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby papacass » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:12 am

A productive vet on a one-year deal gets you a draft pick from a desperate team looking to add the final piece. Mo, Jamo and Andy force you to give up draft picks because the other team is doing you a favor by taking millions in dead forefathers off your back.

Hate to say it, but the Cavs might be doomed to mediocrity for a couple of years while they wait on Mo, Jamo, Andy and Boobie to reach their walk years and become attractive trade bait that can actually net the team assets instead of costing them assets.

The teardown will start this year. The buildup might not commence in earnest until 2013. Of course, by then KG's legs will be falling off and the Heat might be on Attempt No. 3 to find a center who can neutralize KP and Dewey, and prevent those yearly conference semifinal beatdowns. So maybe it's worth the wait.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:27 pm

You're smoking something Cass.

Andy has a ton of value to a playoff team right now as the first big off the bench/hyper productive player.

You've watched us add salary to get over the hump for how many years now and give up draft picks to do it.

It's just the opposite situation now, we have the assets (Mo and Andy far far more so then Jamo). A playoff team that thinks it needs a scoring guard will come calling re Mo and will offer draft picks in the same way a playoff team that needs a big will come calling for Andy. Jamo, well that may be a lot harder.

We can easily snag draft picks for those guys this year, problem is we're going to be one of five teams w/in a dreams shot of the eight seed and our angry little owner won't pull the trigger.

Good lord, I cannot remember the last time guys w/ contracts in the Andy and Mo realm were "PAY US DRAFT PICKS TO TAKE THEMqw#%()!#$!!!" Guys. They aren't in the Elton Brand world.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:29 pm

And T-Mac has worked out for every contender at this point, agreed to play for all of them for pennies and wasn't deemed healthy enough by any of them to be worth a bench spot.

Odds of his health miraculously turning and him going asset this year are slighter higher then Z turning back into a solid starter.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA