Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Rubicon

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Rubicon

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:51 am

I haven't watched much of the AMC programming but this one caught my eye. Anyone check it out? They had the first episode on as a preview a few weeks ago then the 1st and 2nd played on Sunday night, starting the season. Seems to be a very good mystery/government conspiracy show. The first scene caught my interest right away as an affluent man is reading the paper only to see a four-leaf clover stuck to the page. Of course this prompts him to take one last look at his wife, take out his gun, and shoot himself in the head. The Pacific's James Badge Dale (Leckie) in the lead role. He works for a highly-secretive government agency working on all the behind-the-scenes intel and trying to crack codes on the side.

Looks to be another winner for AMC, especially the way they've been pushing it. Definitely going to be spawning legions of message boards to try and discuss all the signs and mysteries seen throughout the show.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Re: Rubicon

Unread postby jack_tors » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:51 pm

I watched the first two episodes and am I hooked. A lot of cloak and dagger type things going on but I will warn everyone, it does move slower than most shows. Reminds me of something by David Simon (The Wire/Treme), definitely moves at its own pace.

It holds my interest though and I am not usually one for conspiracy type books, shows, etc.. James Badge Dale does a great job and its been very interesting trying to piece together all the clues provided. Definitely a lot more going on than what the viewer currently knows.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:01 am

jack_tors wrote:I watched the first two episodes and am I hooked. A lot of cloak and dagger type things going on but I will warn everyone, it does move slower than most shows. Reminds me of something by David Simon (The Wire/Treme), definitely moves at its own pace.

It holds my interest though and I am not usually one for conspiracy type books, shows, etc.. James Badge Dale does a great job and its been very interesting trying to piece together all the clues provided. Definitely a lot more going on than what the viewer currently knows.

I'm really into espionage type programs but man I fell asleep quicker than JB at a Tribe game.

Hope it gets moving soon.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jack_tors » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:49 pm

Anyone watching this? I am still on board and find James Badge Dale a solid lead actor. I enjoy how each episode is like a chapter in a book. The pace doesnt bother me at all but I know I am probably the exception to that rule.

Dont wanna go too much into things if no one is watching. Here is a decent interview with Dale as he speaks to the show's pace.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Rubicon-Badge-Dale-1021901.aspx?rss=keywords&partnerid=imdb&profileid=01

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:08 pm

jack_tors wrote:Anyone watching this? I am still on board and find James Badge Dale a solid lead actor. I enjoy how each episode is like a chapter in a book. The pace doesnt bother me at all but I know I am probably the exception to that rule.

Dont wanna go too much into things if no one is watching. Here is a decent interview with Dale as he speaks to the show's pace.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Rubicon-Badge-Dale-1021901.aspx?rss=keywords&partnerid=imdb&profileid=01

I'm still watching and it's starting to get really good. The season is just like The Wire in that it starts off at a slow simmer just setting everything up before all the meat of the story takes place in the last half of the season.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby jack_tors » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:36 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:
jack_tors wrote:Anyone watching this? I am still on board and find James Badge Dale a solid lead actor. I enjoy how each episode is like a chapter in a book. The pace doesnt bother me at all but I know I am probably the exception to that rule.

I'm still watching and it's starting to get really good. The season is just like The Wire in that it starts off at a slow simmer just setting everything up before all the meat of the story takes place in the last half of the season.

Yep, story telling very much mirrors how the Wire and Mad Men are set up. I like that, I like the fact the creators have enough faith in the viewers that they can remember a storyline week to week. Hate those House/Law and Order type shows where you know there is 5 minutes left in the episode so here's the answer to this episode's problem.

I am wondering if there really is a 4th brand of the government as Will thinks there might be or if the 4th term was just the go code to begin the killing. Perhaps the shamrock means all 3 branches have signed off on the kill and the green light has been given. Just trying to figure out how David Rasche and his crew plays into this whole story.

-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture