Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Inception = Awesome.

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Inception = Awesome.

Unread postby XUDawg » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:27 pm

I thought it was going to suck going in. But my wife doesn't like to go to action films often, and since she was willing, I had to take advantage of the opportunity.

To say I was pleasantly surprised was an understatement. It was the culmination of the last fifteen years of science fiction and heist filmmalking. There were traces of Vanilla Sky, the Matrix, Memento, the Departed, the new Bond movies, and the Dark Knight. Nolan took all of those themes and styles, and produced something completely original. It might be the best movie I've seen in those fifteen years. I saw it last night and I am still carrying it with me. Replaying it in my mind. Parsing the themes. Contemplating the ending.

The acting was as superb as the writing and directing. I was rooting for the villain protagonists. Then rooting for the mark. Then the villains again. Then both.

It was awesome.
XUDawg

Favorite Player: Nick Diaz
Least Favorite Player: Ben Roethlisberger

Re: Inception = Awesome.

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:13 pm

Mitch's review of this one will hit the front page at about 9pm.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby mitch » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:24 pm

There is no doubt that I'll be watching it a second time in the next few days.

XU is right...there are so many levels to this movie.
mitch

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Toothlessburger

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:42 am

Saw it last night. Honestly one of the best movies I've ever seen.

The story was so complex and the effects were awesome as well. Can't wait to see it again.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:50 pm

Going to see it tonight. Haven't seen too many "Bernie Kosar"'s awarded, so I have to see what all the hubub is.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:22 pm

Saw it yesterday. Kind of similar to XU; I thought it looked really stupid from all the previews (albeit with a great cast and director), but my GF said she heard it was good.

It was effing amazing. Best scifi/psychological thriller/action movie/whatever I've seen in a long, long time.

Kind of wish I had either gone to the IMAX, or had sprung for the new D-Box seats the theater just installed. Haven't tried them yet, but seems like it would be a perfect movie for them.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby dem425 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:03 pm

I have said it before and I'll say it again..................

I SUCK AS A MOVIE CRITIC!!!!

Inception:......meh
.....and I do like DiCaprio. I hate movies that make me think.........

My Formula: Tits + monsters and toss in some fart and midget jokes= OSCAR!
dem425

Favorite Player: Dick Marcinko
Least Favorite Player: All Politicians

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:06 pm

aoxo1 wrote:I thought it looked really stupid from all the previews

The trailer didn't really give you a great idea of what the movie was about, but I was sold when I saw the city flip on top of itself.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:46 am

dem425 wrote:My Formula: Tits + monsters and toss in some fart and midget jokes= OSCAR!

This man clearly lives the High Life. I'll shell out $8.50 every day to see that movie.

Inception was a solid, solid movie. Great to see an original script. We talked about this movie the entire ride home. That hasn't happened in years. It certainly sticks with you, causing you to analyze scenes and put the peices together.

Honestly, the tit and fart movies have probably retarded my "good movie" requirements. Good on Nolan for not producing another retread script with good special effects just to make money. Worth seeing again.

On another note, we watched this movie in a new cinema called Cinebistro.
http://www.cobbcinebistro.com/peninsula-reserv.aspx
Great viewing experience. It's a brand new theater with a full bar, restaurant and bowling alley. Large leather captain's chairs (no elbow jockeying for the arm rest), that recline slightly back. Tons of leg room. Enough to hold a tray of food, stretch out your legs and have a server walk past without having to stand up or scrunch your legs. The place has really classed up the movie-going experience: Reserved seats when you order online, just like a ball game, age requirement (21 after 6 pm) to keep out jerk-off teenagers, and a dress code. The tickets are expensive ($12), but I'll gladly pay extra to really enjoy a movie. Perfect palce to go for an evening out. Probably end up close to a hundy in the hole, but for dinner, drinks and a movie that's the going rate.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:10 am

Saw it last night. Been looking forward to this movie for months and it didn't disappoint; great, great movie. Nolan re-affirms his status as a visionary filmmaker.

As an aside: Saw the Tron:Legacy trailer for the first time and it looks amazing. Looks like it could be the next billion-dollar blockbuster.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Damage » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:57 pm

Saw the matinee yesterday. The only way, and I mean the ONLY way this movie sucked is if you suck.

So brilliant in so many ways. I give it two thumbs way the fuck up. So many questions that I need to see it again. Shit, I saw Signs 4 times in the theatre, this definitely deserves an IMAX visit.

One question*

SPOILER**

I'm fairly positive it's either a dream or real. Pretty black and white if you ask me. But if you think it was a dream, make a compelling case as to why you think so, cause I'm all ears. My buddy and I have been debating it for a day now. My thoughts are this: If it were a dream, then the amount of people that had to be tapped into Leo's head would have been massive.

Think about it: All the main characters, his father, his children, his wife, Cilian Murphy, the flight attendants. No way were they projections (as we know the projections get pissed if you start meddling in someone's brain).

Just my 2 ¢
"I must be cruel only to be kind;
Thus bad begins, and worse remains behind."
Damage

Favorite Player: Terrell Brandon
Least Favorite Player: Joe Table

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:07 am

If this film doesn't win Best Picture, I'm boycotting the United States of America.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby mrburns » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:27 am

Just terrific. Better than Memento. I like how Nolan doesn't spoon feed you everything, he lets the audience fill in the blanks. Actually enjoyed Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Tom Hardy more than anybody in this one.

Hadn't read any "Gordon-Levitt as a possible Riddler" prior to seeing the movie, and came to that conclusion on my own. Then got home and saw that it's been all over the interwebs for some time. I'd sign up for that.
mrburns

Favorite Player: Rusty Branyan
Least Favorite Player: Rapist QBs

Unread postby dem425 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:54 pm

I am not trying to crap on the lovefest for this movie. I also thought I was the only one who didn't think it that was good til I found this........

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/c ... nema_denby
dem425

Unread postby jerryroche » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:23 pm

Hate to disagree with most of you, but I do.
"Inception" is clever, ambitious and unique. Great actors, incredible special effects.
And all noise (including the overbearing, deafening sound track) -- signifying nothing.
No real characterizations, except for brief encounters with Dom Cobb’s guilt. Loaded with leaden dialogue that amounts to nothing more than gibberish, quasi-scientific theory and pop psychology.
Nolan spins his mind tricks for 2-1/2 long hours -- a sure indication that a director is a hopeless super-egotist (think Peter Jackson and James Cameron, both of whom need good editors). Obviously, Nolan is not unlike our self-important senators and congressmen who pass unnecessary 2,500-page laws and then spend a couple weeks patting each other on the back for being so “clever and intelligent.”
“Inception” is bold and brash. But it’s devoted to nothing more than its own internal workings. In other words … pointless and soulless.
Not the worst movie of the year, but if it's among the best, it shows how far Hollywood has fallen.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby mitch » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:32 pm

I can go on Rottentomatoes and find some people who hated Toy Story 3, Schindler's List, the Godfather, and Saving Private Ryan.

I can also find those that loved The Happening, Gigli, and Battlefield Earth.

Taste in movies varies, which is why they are so great, and there is no real "right or wrong" (other than what I say is right and wrong, which is all that really matters in life). So it's highly doubtful that the inevitable "no, this movie SUCKED!" posts that come whenever there is a movie with huge buzz will make anyone who liked it re-consider their viewpoint.
mitch

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Toothlessburger

Unread postby dem425 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:26 pm

Mitch:

I agree with you whole-heartedly........

Neither Shutter Island or Inception "sucked". I just didn't think they were that spectacular. Funny thing is, I really like how DiCAprio has grown as an actor.

I thought Ellen Page did a good job in Inception and I especially like her in Juno......
dem425

Unread postby Cease » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:57 am

Saw Inception last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I wish I could see the first 20 minutes again, now that I "get" what was going on.

As for the worthiness of the film and the point that it may be just a huge stroke session for Nolan's ego- I say "What's wrong with that?" Why isn't entertainment a good enough end result for a film. The guy had a vision, a very unique vision, a hard-to-describe-and-present vision. He worked his tail off to put it on screen in an entertaining way. He did it, good for him. Now, he can do something else.

Critics aren't slamming the film in as much as they asking Nolan to push himself and to not be afraid to get into heavier subject matter while using his intricate techniques.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture